Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Spiritus Nox posted:

I recently started my first job and I was thinking of using some of that money to replace my old, burnt-out rear end alienware laptop with something more practical in the next few months. Anyone have any recommendations for something reasonably portable I can use for light gaming(think Telltale Games-level 3D stuff, lots of 2D roguelikes/platformers/RPGs, maybe some less graphically intense strategy games) and as a general internet/media consumption platform? Preferably around $500, certainly under $1000 - I have a nice desktop and a work laptop, so I'm not looking for anything super powerful or for tons of storage, just something more versatile than my iPad that my employer can't rummage through at will.

The Asus Zenbook Signature edition perhaps? Or, sticking with signature editions, the HP Spectre x360. Folds up like a tablet which is a bit of a gimmick, but is great for portability.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Just as another strike against the XPS 15. I had posted earlier in the thread about how you plug in headphones into the jack and lose all sound. I traded my first one in for second and updated to the newest BIOS. Well it lasted a week and just about 2 hours ago it started doing it again. No idea what the gently caress the issue is. Seems the XPS 15's are just too plauged with problems at the moment to be worth spending this much money.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
I'm looking for a 14"(ish) laptop (for a bit now) that ticks the following boxes: Metal construction, Broadwell/Skylake i5+, 8GB RAM, 256GB+ SSD (or cheap and easy to replace with a new one), 1080P IPS or better, reasonable battery. With a couple caveats. I'm wary of the Core-M processor because while I won't game much (and mostly old or simple games anyway) I don't want it to get throttled to hell and back when it's pushed a little--otherwise I'd have already bought a Core M Zenbook that meets every other spec. I don't care too much about discrete graphics but I'm a little concerned about shared memory (just historically, not specifically). I'll spend around 800 bucks if the specs are right (e.g. it should probably have a skylake at that price) but was looking closer to 700. I don't think this is an unreasonable list on it's face but I haven't really found something that didn't have some other fatal flaw identified (e.g. a lenovo that's been circling the deal web with a 2-cell 35 WHr battery, or a crappy screen).

I guess I forgot I saw this: http://www.techbargains.com/deal/386526/asus-zenbook-ux305la and it's right in the middle. Is gonna be my best match? I do have a mini-chubby for ASUS.
There's also this: http://www.techbargains.com/deal/84848/lenovo-yoga-3-pro but with a Core M. (and a little pricier but with additional features as well).

It will spend most life as a laptop so the 2-in-1 is mostly a nice-to-have for travel.

Should I just wait until this year's stuff starts to show up and last year's to drop some more?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

ChiliMac posted:

I'm looking for a 14"(ish) laptop (for a bit now) that ticks the following boxes: Metal construction, Broadwell/Skylake i5+, 8GB RAM, 256GB+ SSD (or cheap and easy to replace with a new one), 1080P IPS or better, reasonable battery. With a couple caveats. I'm wary of the Core-M processor because while I won't game much (and mostly old or simple games anyway) I don't want it to get throttled to hell and back when it's pushed a little--otherwise I'd have already bought a Core M Zenbook that meets every other spec. I don't care too much about discrete graphics but I'm a little concerned about shared memory (just historically, not specifically). I'll spend around 800 bucks if the specs are right (e.g. it should probably have a skylake at that price) but was looking closer to 700. I don't think this is an unreasonable list on it's face but I haven't really found something that didn't have some other fatal flaw identified (e.g. a lenovo that's been circling the deal web with a 2-cell 35 WHr battery, or a crappy screen).

I guess I forgot I saw this: http://www.techbargains.com/deal/386526/asus-zenbook-ux305la and it's right in the middle. Is gonna be my best match? I do have a mini-chubby for ASUS.
There's also this: http://www.techbargains.com/deal/84848/lenovo-yoga-3-pro but with a Core M. (and a little pricier but with additional features as well).

It will spend most life as a laptop so the 2-in-1 is mostly a nice-to-have for travel.

Should I just wait until this year's stuff starts to show up and last year's to drop some more?

305LA is a nice machine.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

lilspooky posted:

Just as another strike against the XPS 15. I had posted earlier in the thread about how you plug in headphones into the jack and lose all sound. I traded my first one in for second and updated to the newest BIOS. Well it lasted a week and just about 2 hours ago it started doing it again. No idea what the gently caress the issue is. Seems the XPS 15's are just too plauged with problems at the moment to be worth spending this much money.

I came so close to buying one, for once I am glad to be a terminal procastrinator. Was thinking of the Xps13, but now eying the new Razer.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

B-Mac posted:

305LA is a nice machine.

Ended up deciding I make enough money to stop arguing with myself about this and found the UX303UA instead (mainly for skylake, glass screen). Gonna pop 4 additional GB of RAM just to top it off and call it a day.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Well, i decided that im gonna return that Lenovo i linked before.

It ran WoW pretty well, as well as diablo 3. Kinda surprised me how well it ran in major cities and around Warlords areas. Worst dip was around 22 fps and then it leveled out after around 30 in highly populated/new areas and pulled 50-70 in most non-populated areas.
My gripe is with the screen. Do most IPS screens suffer from blurring during fast movement/gaming? The blurring started to give me a serious headache very quickly.

I think im gonna raise my budget from ~350 to 600-700 or so and try to get a really good screen and a minimum i5 5200u for that extra turbo speed, maybe a 940m or something.

Do you guys think its a good idea to wait for the big super bowl sales coming up? I remember the last couple years had some phenomenal deals come up on pcs and laptops from places like ibuypower and cyberpower pc. I dont know how those "gaming" laptops stand compared to some of the nicer Lenovo, dell, or Asus ones that have been popping up.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Looks like there is a bug on Skylake CPUs that causes system lockups. A fix is in the works too which will likely require a BIOS update.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

grimcreaper posted:

My gripe is with the screen. Do most IPS screens suffer from blurring during fast movement/gaming? The blurring started to give me a serious headache very quickly.

In my experience, no. My guess is that because it was a budget laptop, Lenovo specced out a screen that was cheap enough to cause motion artifacts.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

bigmandan posted:

Looks like there is a bug on Skylake CPUs that causes system lockups. A fix is in the works too which will likely require a BIOS update.

Dell is shaking their collective fists at Intel so hard right now.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
What's a nice cheap 12-13 inch Lenovo laptop that would just be used for browsing, Skype, teamviewer? Something good quality, but not too expensive. It's for my 4 feet 9 inch grandmother, so it'd be nice if it wasn't a monstrosity. Unfortunately does have to be available on the Lenovo website for retarded reasons I'm not going into.

edit Cheap, as in around $400. I don't think the outlet counts, although I see some nice T450's for $600 there.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 12, 2016

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

TopherCStone posted:

In my experience, no. My guess is that because it was a budget laptop, Lenovo specced out a screen that was cheap enough to cause motion artifacts.

Thanks for the reply on that.

The motion blur caught me by suprise. I think it must be a lot more noticeable due to Wows use of fairly vivid colors compared to most of the other games that i tried. Even d3 didn't seem too noticeable until I was really looking for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

grimcreaper posted:

Thanks for the reply on that.

The motion blur caught me by suprise. I think it must be a lot more noticeable due to Wows use of fairly vivid colors compared to most of the other games that i tried. Even d3 didn't seem too noticeable until I was really looking for it.

Lenovo 2-in-1's have generally nice specs, but they have some of the worst LCD monitors.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yoga 11 on the outlet store

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
So if I was looking for something similar to an XPS 15 but wasn't a pile of buggy poo poo are there any suggestions?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

lilspooky posted:

So if I was looking for something similar to an XPS 15 but wasn't a pile of buggy poo poo are there any suggestions?

A Mac Book Pro.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Calidus posted:

A Mac Book Pro.

Pretty much.

I would wait a couple months until they get the bugs worked out of the XPS 15 and then buy that, unless you can afford the 15" MBP

I guess there is always the Thinkpad X1 and other halo devices. The Samsung Series 9? It's only 13.3".

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Don't Buy A MacBook Yet.

Wait for the refresh, all signs point to them coming earlier this year. Should be a big Skylake reboot after years of stagnation.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Calidus posted:

A Mac Book Pro.

Does't make any sense if you want a dGPU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 15" has a discrete GPU option. You'll pay out the rear end for it.

Intel Iris Pro Graphics
AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching

But it might be worth waiting for Skylake to see what they upgrade to.

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em! I'm a whale biologist.
Should I buy a new Lenovo X1 Carbon 3rd gen (2015 model) for $715? I'm trying to decide if I should jump on this (probably temporary) price or wait for the new model they showed at CES.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I keep seeing articles about the new MBP, but they all just look like click bait. Of course there's a 2016 MBP coming out. I doubt that even if it is really coming out early, it will be released before end of March. Apple WWDC is held in June each year, which is where they announce all their poo poo.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hadlock posted:

I keep seeing articles about the new MBP, but they all just look like click bait. Of course there's a 2016 MBP coming out. I doubt that even if it is really coming out early, it will be released before end of March. Apple WWDC is held in June each year, which is where they announce all their poo poo.

Aren't they also held up by very limited availability of the Skylake chips with the big GPUs, HD 540? The 6260u, 6560u and similar chips seem very late to the party. I can't find a single laptop actually shipping with them besides the $2k+ surface pro.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Skylake's still rolling out yeah and also has fun microcode bugs that can cause BSODs. Sucks to be Dell and their XPS 15 team right now.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The problem with the XPS 15 is that they're following every single CPU refresh AND changing the form factor at the same time, every single time. There's no continuity for the people drawing up motherboards, no way for the designers to iterate and improve on build quality for a single chassis (which is admittedly above average). And then there's things that have never made it in like some sort of magnetic clasping to keep the lid closed instead of just relying on the hinges, which is a no-brainer for something considered so premium.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mu Zeta posted:

The 15" has a discrete GPU option. You'll pay out the rear end for it.

Yes you pay out the rear end for it, and it's a lot slower than a 960M

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Seamonster posted:

And then there's things that have never made it in like some sort of magnetic clasping to keep the lid closed instead of just relying on the hinges, which is a no-brainer for something considered so premium.

I have a hard enough time opening the lid as it is, I'm not sure I would want added resistance of magnets.

I must be an outlier, no real issues at all with my XPS 15 aside from some space bar stuff that I resolved myself. No crashes, no weird behavior, it has just worked for me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Seamonster posted:

The problem with the XPS 15 is that they're following every single CPU refresh AND changing the form factor at the same time, every single time. There's no continuity for the people drawing up motherboards, no way for the designers to iterate and improve on build quality for a single chassis (which is admittedly above average). And then there's things that have never made it in like some sort of magnetic clasping to keep the lid closed instead of just relying on the hinges, which is a no-brainer for something considered so premium.

Every couple years Dell makes a 'MacBook Pro' killer XPS 15, it gets good reviews then it ends up being a pile.

Remember this guy:

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.
I'm looking at this system.

The MSI website indicates it has a Thunderbolt port, while the Newegg site doesn't list it. The review view of the computer seems to show a TB port, but I can't tell for sure. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

I'm at 3.5 years on an X230, which I love, except that I'm sick of 1366x768. I had a work-issued T420 for a while and thought it was heavier than I'd like. A trackpoint is non-optional. So, I'm looking at either an X-series or Ts. (X1 Carbon might also be a possibility, but they're not cheap, and I like having something I can maintain.) Price isn't a hard obstacle, but I prefer to save than spend. So with Lenovo's CES announcements, should I:

- Wait for the *60 models?
- Wait for the *60 models, then buy a *50 model at some kind of discount?
- Just buy now?

- Any thoughts about X2?0 vs T4?0s? Or should I go with something completely different?

- Anything I should know about components to include or exclude? Any particularly good deals?

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User
My 5 year old college laptop is in need of replacement. Returning to college with only a year left (may do grad school afterwards, but no idea when). Can I get a recommendation on something cheap but decent quality to use in class / on train? Also, I need to use Windows.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Alhireth-Hotep posted:

I'm at 3.5 years on an X230, which I love, except that I'm sick of 1366x768. I had a work-issued T420 for a while and thought it was heavier than I'd like. A trackpoint is non-optional. So, I'm looking at either an X-series or Ts. (X1 Carbon might also be a possibility, but they're not cheap, and I like having something I can maintain.) Price isn't a hard obstacle, but I prefer to save than spend. So with Lenovo's CES announcements, should I:

- Wait for the *60 models?
- Wait for the *60 models, then buy a *50 model at some kind of discount?
- Just buy now?

- Any thoughts about X2?0 vs T4?0s? Or should I go with something completely different?

- Anything I should know about components to include or exclude? Any particularly good deals?

Good screens: X240 with 1080p (tiny though), T450S IPS

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nitis posted:

The MSI website indicates it has a Thunderbolt port, while the Newegg site doesn't list it. The review view of the computer seems to show a TB port, but I can't tell for sure. Can anyone confirm/deny?
There are a couple people on here that have Skylake GT72s (mine is a broadwell) but I am 99.99999% sure the Skylake refresh does indeed come with a thunderbolt port.

Go for it, the GT72 is a fantastic, albeit bulky, powerful gaming laptop.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I have a hard enough time opening the lid as it is, I'm not sure I would want added resistance of magnets.

I must be an outlier, no real issues at all with my XPS 15 aside from some space bar stuff that I resolved myself. No crashes, no weird behavior, it has just worked for me.

How long have you had your 15? You've plugged speakers / headphones into the 3.5 jack?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

lilspooky posted:

How long have you had your 15? You've plugged speakers / headphones into the 3.5 jack?

Since early November.

I've used headphones on occasion, but it's not a frequent thing for me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What use does a PC laptop user have with Lightning connectors?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do you mean Thunderbolt? In that case it's pretty much just a Displayport.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

What use does a PC laptop user have with Lightning connectors?

Proper grounding in a thunderstorm.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Nitis posted:

There is definitely a Mini Displayport connector on the back. Unless they put a non-TB Mini Displayport on it, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

It has both mdp and thunderbolt. My Broadwell actually has 2 mdp, but they replaced 1 of them with Thunderbolt with the skylake refresh.