Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Interesting, Motorola is now allowing 2nd gen Verizon Moto X users to unlock their bootloader.

Since we know from a few hints (I think it was FCC) that there exists a Verizon Marshmallow ROM for the 2014 Moto X, I wonder if that ROM will find it's way to the Moto developer site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
So, Broke my Droid Turbo the other day. This is the 2nd screen, so no screen replacement this time. The company pays my phone/bill, so I talked to the person in charge and they got me an early upgrade. I've now got a $100 Droid Turbo 2 on Verizon.
Am I dumb to want to buy a $500 Nexus 5x (32gb + protection since I clearly need it) and try to flip the new in box Droid turbo 2? On swappa they go for almost $500 for NiB. I was approved to have the nexus, but since its not sold via verizon, they would have purchased a nexus5 for me. Not the 5x.
I'm not a fan of the 5.5" screen, too large. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but not sure I want to. I'd like the finger print reader since we require print or pin.
Is the nexus name + finger print + smaller screen worth $200?? Help me goons!

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

deong posted:

Is the nexus name + finger print + smaller screen worth $200?? Help me goons!

Probably yes. The Turbo2 does have that "indestructible" screen which is a plus. But If i were required to use my fingerprint or type a minimum 8 character pw every 5 min I'd drop the $200 on a N5X in a heartbeat. Besides, you'll never wonder when you're gonna get the new update ;)

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Get the N5X, and then consider getting a case. Or a more durable one if you already had it on your previous phone and still managed to destroy the screen twice.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

GokieKS posted:

Get the N5X, and then consider getting a case. Or a more durable one if you already had it on your previous phone and still managed to destroy the screen twice.

I do go caseless. I don't like the added bulk.
For what its worth, the turbo is the first phone I've broken a screen on. Ive been android since cupcake, and I've rarely had the case. Both times, I droped it face first and it hit an edge of a rock. Once camping, once mtb biking. I do a lot outside and it may have been luck. I'm thinking i'll keep my current smashed turbo, since it still works, as an insurance when I ride hard.

Thanks for the push!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Deong, if you want to get a feel for the 5x before you buy, let me know.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Internet Explorer posted:

Deong, if you want to get a feel for the 5x before you buy, let me know.

too late!
I don't dwell, but thanks. A friend of mine has one that I've palmed. I've got baby hands.
Also, we've gotta hit shelbys before its gone.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wait, Shelby's is going away?!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

XIII posted:

Wait, Shelby's is going away?!

Likely. The owners are selling the lot its in, Shelbys don't own it. Internet Explorer got his job from that place!

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
I have a 5x that I've had for around a month, and just this weekend it started randomly reporting that there was no SIM card inserted. Sometimes this issue can be resolved by just restarting the phone, sometimes I have to eject the SIM tray and re-insert it. The SIM itself is one that I cut down to nano size myself, so I'm going to get an actual nano SIM from Verizon this afternoon. However, I'm concerned that it's not an issue with the SIM itself because it can usually be resolved by restarting the phone. Has anyone else had this problem and gotten to the bottom of it?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It might be the weather - some SIM tray designs become flaky when the spring contacts get cold and lose their flexibility. I haven't heard of it happening with the 5X but Apple devices have been prone to this forever.

Wait and see if it still happens with a real nano SIM :shrug:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ok so this is going to sound retarded but I was trying to follow "charger chat" and i'm still confused.

I've got a galaxy s6 edge - What charger should i get for fast charging? Follow up - any recommendations on cheap wireless chargers in lieu of this.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

vyst posted:

Ok so this is going to sound retarded but I was trying to follow "charger chat" and i'm still confused.

I've got a galaxy s6 edge - What charger should i get for fast charging? Follow up - any recommendations on cheap wireless chargers in lieu of this.

Any charger that supports either 'Adaptive Fast Charging' or 'Quick Charge 2.0' should work. Disclaimer: I have no idea what either of those mean, what the differences are, or which is better.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Speaking of updates, my 6P got the January security patch last night.
They do seem to be doing pretty good on getting those out monthly.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Speaking of updates, my 6P got the January security patch last night.
They do seem to be doing pretty good on getting those out monthly.

This one didn't seem to take as long as some others (I was mostly busy and not paying attention), but I do wish there was a way for the phone to start back up and verify apps in the background or something.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

beerinator posted:

This one didn't seem to take as long as some others (I was mostly busy and not paying attention), but I do wish there was a way for the phone to start back up and verify apps in the background or something.
Yeah.

Or run the update overnight (if no alarm is set).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

beerinator posted:

This wouldn't really work since "verifying" actually means "compiling". There would be a lot of edge cases to handle around default apps, alarms, services, security, all kinds of things.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Tots posted:

Any charger that supports either 'Adaptive Fast Charging' or 'Quick Charge 2.0' should work. Disclaimer: I have no idea what either of those mean, what the differences are, or which is better.

Quick Charge 2.0 is Qualcomm's form of fast charging. I'm assuming Adaptive Fast Charging is samsung's. I have no idea what the difference is between them except that one may allow for different steps of wattage. Basically fast charging works by using the data lines of the USB cable to negotiate higher voltages and currents. I'm think most third party chargers have the capacity to use either, though I'm not certain. If they mention support for Samsung and other manufacturer's then they most likely support both systems.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I got one of those snazzy Gold Nexus 6P's today. This is my first "real" Nexus (I had a Nexus S on Sprint and the LOL Galaxy Nexus on Sprint. gently caress those phones). It's goddamn beautiful. Thankfully I have giant monster hands so it all works out for me. Big phone supremacy all day long.

Thank you for listening to my amazing story.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Quick Charge 2.0 is Qualcomm's form of fast charging. I'm assuming Adaptive Fast Charging is samsung's. I have no idea what the difference is between them except that one may allow for different steps of wattage. Basically fast charging works by using the data lines of the USB cable to negotiate higher voltages and currents. I'm think most third party chargers have the capacity to use either, though I'm not certain. If they mention support for Samsung and other manufacturer's then they most likely support both systems.

All deployed fast charging phones use Quralcomm's quick charge technology, they just brand it differently for idiotic reasons.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Three Olives posted:

All deployed fast charging phones use Quralcomm's quick charge technology, they just brand it differently for idiotic reasons.

I read a single poorly written Google result that said the galaxy 6 supports both Samsung's adaptive charging and quick charge 2.0. That led me to believe they are different things.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Nexus 5x has received a permanent $30 price cut.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Tots posted:

I read a single poorly written Google result that said the galaxy 6 supports both Samsung's adaptive charging and quick charge 2.0. That led me to believe they are different things.

It's all the same Qualcomm chips that handle it, even if the phones don't use the CPU.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Just got a new gold Note 5. I'm loving it so far! The battery and screen are really great.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Day Man posted:

Just got a new gold Note 5. I'm loving it so far! The battery and screen are really great.

I was on the fence to upgrade my S6 when it came out. Do you use the S Pen much?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Moey posted:

I was on the fence to upgrade my S6 when it came out. Do you use the S Pen much?

I've had the phone for about 3 months now and I only use the S Pen for screenshots, known as Smart Select. Well, that and jotting down phone numbers. It's not a critical feature that makes your life better but it's remarkably useful to take screenshots of part of your screen instead of the whole thing sometimes.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Moey posted:

I haven't used it a ton yet. It wasn't a big selling point for me, I was mostly after the screen and processor/memory upgrade from my old nexus 5. That said, it does work well, and I love the feature where you can pull the pen and jot down a note without waking the phone up all the way. Quick and convenient. If I took screenshots much, it'd be great for that, but I don't do that often.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What the hell is going on here?

My phone was fine last night and now all the icons are tiny.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
No clue, but Nova Launcher can change the icon size (and a lot of other customization options) if you want to download that

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I didn't realize people still used labels underneath their icons, interesting.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
So since I upgraded to a Nexus 6P, some of my Hangouts conversations (mostly SMS, but there is an actual Hangouts or two doing this) are showing phone number only and not the contact name. My contacts all came back from the cloud, and in the contacts section of Hangouts itself, names are all there. What the hell?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

TenaciousTomato posted:

No clue, but Nova Launcher can change the icon size (and a lot of other customization options) if you want to download that

Here is the weird thing, the small icons persist when I change the launcher. And the icons are the right size, you can see the outline, the graphics are just tiny within the icon space. And I have tried rebooting.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I use MightyText to send texts from my computer. Today, my phone was playing Soda Dungeon and I had a short conversation with my sister. Most of the texts that I see in MightyText show up in the Messenger app except for the last two, which are both from her. They surely exist somewhere on my phone since MightyText mirrored them. Why isn't Messenger (or Hangouts if I set that as the default for SMS) showing them?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ninmeister posted:

So since I upgraded to a Nexus 6P, some of my Hangouts conversations (mostly SMS, but there is an actual Hangouts or two doing this) are showing phone number only and not the contact name. My contacts all came back from the cloud, and in the contacts section of Hangouts itself, names are all there. What the hell?

How long has it been doing that? When I factory reset my Moto X the other day, I was getting that, but it fixed itself within a day or two.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ijii posted:

I didn't realize people still used labels underneath their icons, interesting.

I do, what's wrong with that?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

ninmeister posted:

Well I solved this one on my own: apparently some of my sms conversations suddenly were merged with I guess Hangouts or Google Voice or something, and unmerging them fixed it. Anyone I actually SMS don't use Hangouts so.. hey a wins a win.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Is Google Voice still worth using in 2016? I got a new number and carrier today, and it wouldn't be a huge hassle to just give people my new number instead of sticking to the Google Voice number. There's a lot more options for texting/interacting with Android via Windows than there were 5-6 years ago when Google Voice seemed like the best idea in the world.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Me too? Is there some kind of cool way to remove titles under icons on Android and be a cool person? Nova Launcher?

I've just recently moved over to a S6 Edge so I legit don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

AndyElusive posted:

Me too? Is there some kind of cool way to remove titles under icons on Android and be a cool person? Nova Launcher?

I've just recently moved over to a S6 Edge so I legit don't know.

Nova definitely does it, it's under Icon Layout (uncheck the display labels option)