Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

They wouldn't bother pissing everyone off when they can just quietly lean on people who need wotc so they can make a living

Seems like having a rep email a store is about as low key as they could go about this. They can't realistically say/do nothing. I think people are really reaching here, maybe wait for them to do something more nefarious than e-mail someone and say "Don't do that thing that is expressly against our interests"

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's a tonne of strong proactive gold cards and you can play loads of them with basically no penalty due to the current manabases. It was less of an issue when playing a wedge made you almost a full turn slower.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

If only wotc could monetize an interest in older cards and sets..

that's a bit too innovative for wotc I think. Their version of innovation is to print renamed lightning bolts at mythic rare

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Entropic posted:

The visual style is just too much of a dealbreaker for me.

In addition to the art style, the layout of the cards is just awful.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 12, 2016

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Tbh I think that the expeditions are a reasonable attempt to get the cost of standard down, but it would be even better if they just started printing key role playing cards, like lands, at uncommon. It wouldn't harm limited!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

The real question is when is fow going to have megucas

Give it some time, we just need to accumulate some really bad art first.

Holy hell, her hand.

pointsofdata posted:

that's a bit too innovative for wotc I think. Their version of innovation is to print renamed lightning bolts at mythic rare

This really isn't new. U/G Madness being a competitive deck of mostly commons was apparently totally unintentional.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
if you're gonna post bad art from FoW, post from the set that consists of nothing but historical figures as cute anime girls.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Multicolored creatures always being more efficiently costed combining with it being trivial to actually run them on curve combined with more of a focus on midrange has caused the recent Standards to be overwhelmed with extremely strong early and midrange creature decks being incredibly threat dense, along with answers that reset the game state being in extremely rare supply.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Give it some time, we just need to accumulate some really bad art first.

Holy hell, her hand.

I mean alice is kind of a meguca right (and apparently constructed playable?)

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

if you're gonna post bad art from FoW, post from the set that consists of nothing but historical figures as cute anime girls.

Is there a magiccards.info esque gallery somewhere? I have to see.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

rabidsquid posted:

Multicolored creatures always being more efficiently costed combining with it being trivial to actually run them on curve combined with more of a focus on midrange has caused the recent Standards to be overwhelmed with extremely strong early and midrange creature decks being incredibly threat dense, along with answers that reset the game state being in extremely rare supply.

The midrange mirrors end up extremely grindy.

Which actually makes for really tough play (which I'm not sure Wotc wants)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There are Force of Will cards that aren't anime girls?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Aye aye.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Is there a magiccards.info esque gallery somewhere? I have to see.

Yes, but they all have that dumb watermark over them.

Zoness posted:

She's not super amazing, but she does lend herself well to a game of winning over your opponent with raw card advantage.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 12, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

Yeah arthur actually isn't an anime girl in this for example:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

JoJos?

Also Jesus:

But yes, there are.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

Yeah arthur actually isn't an anime girl in this for example:

That actually looks fine.

Ramos posted:

JoJos?

Also Jesus:

:swoon:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Zoness posted:

She has the drawback of not being named either reflect or refrain.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Those cards are very difficult to read

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There's also this which still makes me lol:

But yeah FOW definitely needs more Jojos.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

rabidsquid posted:

There are actually a lot of reasons Standard could be unpopular, because there are so many things about it that are different from the eternal formats. The new current game design of Standard, the new block format, the prices of Standard staples. It likely all adds up. I think the big one is the design philosophy change, but I am biased since its why I haven't cared for Standard for years but still really like Vintage and Legacy, and even Modern to a lesser extent.

I think the biggest problem is that Standard doesn't actually feel that different than it did before. Mono Black was a scourge of a deck but it also didn't stick around when RTR rotated - its an unfortunate side-effect of making a set that's full of powerful cards and then having to dial it back.

I mean, Abzan Aggro was the dominant deck in KTK block standard and its still the most dominant deck. Most of the stuff that's changed in the deck is just replaceable parts, really. Adding a powerful card like Gideon doesn't actually change the angle of attack of the deck, it just slots in as a powerful standalone replacement for whatever powerful cards the deck dropped from Theros block without adding any real synergy.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Whats with games that aren't magic giving all its creatures hundreds of hit points.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

There's also this which still makes me lol:

But yeah FOW definitely needs more Jojos.

As a mid-30s man who plays card games, often with teenagers, I think playing Force of Will would get me on a watchlist, holy poo poo.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

looks fine to me but i'd like to play it in a simulator before paying money for it

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Terrible Horse posted:

Whats with games that aren't magic giving all its creatures hundreds of hit points.

Greater granularity. e.g. Magic has this problem with trying to a make a bolt that deals 2.5 damage or a counter spell that costs 2.5 so it has to make do with hit or miss add-on effects.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Greater granularity. e.g. Magic has this problem with trying to a make a bolt that deals 2.5 damage or a counter spell that costs 2.5 so it has to make do with hit or miss add-on effects.

Plus the 0's look cool. The pokemon tcg for example deals in multiples of 10 for no discernable reason because there's no mechanic to like do 15 damage but it just stuck.

Also the pokemon tcg combines elements of vintage and crashing rhinos into each other, it's actually secretly every magic player's ideal game. Also the most expensive card in standard in that game is only $40 :laffo:.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Terrible Horse posted:

Maro and some of the other designers have talked about how the initial use of 1/1s and 2/2s led to granularity problems. How do you make a creature that would kill a human, but get killed by a bear? You'd need to either use 1.5/1.5 or have some kind of combat mechanic to make it happen.

The real reason is that more numbers = more better

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Terrible Horse posted:

Lawyers. Single digits stuff is just another connection to Magic to sever.

mandatory lesbian posted:

looks fine to me but i'd like to play it in a simulator before paying money for it

untap.in has a bare bones way to play it, about on par with Cockatrice. If that doesn't put you off, I can gladly walk you through a tutorial game with some of the starter decks if you'd like. Maybe over the weekend?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Why are there sometimes two versions of a card where one version is just a less-dressed version of the character? Why does Achilles have two versions of the same card, just that one of the cards shows more cleavage?

Force of Will looks gross as hell.

e: the lands are sweet looking though.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 12, 2016

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
That Skullclamp art is not even 0.1% as bad as the best FoW art.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zoness posted:

Plus the 0's look cool. The pokemon tcg for example deals in multiples of 10 for no discernable reason because there's no mechanic to like do 15 damage but it just stuck.

Also the pokemon tcg combines elements of vintage and crashing rhinos into each other, it's actually secretly every magic player's ideal game. Also the most expensive card in standard in that game is only $40 :laffo:.

Yeah doing 5000 damage makes you feel like a more powerful wizard than doing 5. Pokemon also has the cool contoured foils that we're never gonna get in magic unless you wanna see Kibler rubbing his cards every time he shuffles.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ramos posted:

Lawyers. Single digits stuff is just another connection to Magic to sever.

untap.in has a bare bones way to play it, about on par with Cockatrice. If that doesn't put you off, I can gladly walk you through a tutorial game with some of the starter decks if you'd like. Maybe over the weekend?

Oh i'd be down, PM me and we can talk about it after I get back from work!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Why are there sometimes two versions of a card where one version is just a less-dressed version of the character? Why does Achilles have two versions of the same card, just that one of the cards shows more cleavage?

Force of Will looks gross as hell.

Ok to spoil the joke the set that all the anime history is from was actually a completely different intellectual property whose company went bankrupt. FoW Inc. bought the art for cheap and just pushed out a set using it.

It's a shame because its even worse than the usual bad art (and flavor text) and there are one or two cards that are absolute staples from that set so you have to keep seeing those cards when you play.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 12, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Ok to spoil the joke the set that all the anime history is from was actually a completely different intellectual property who's company went bankrupt. FoW Inc. bought the art for cheap and just pushed out a set using it.

It's a shame because its even worse than the usual bad art (and flavor text) and there are one or two cards that are absolute staples from that set so you have to keep seeing those cards when you play.

Well I no longer want to play Force of Will so good work guys. Anyone want to share with us their love for the Eurogame "pedophiles and autism"?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Hellsau posted:

Well I no longer want to play Force of Will so good work guys. Anyone want to share with us their love for the Eurogame "pedophiles and autism"?

aatrek rushes in, panting and holding his hand up in the air

his other arm is wrapped around a 6 year old dressed as captain kirk

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Terrible Horse posted:

And none of them ever do things in increments of less than 100, so you could divide all the numbers by 100 and nothing would change.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Maro and some of the other designers have talked about how the initial use of 1/1s and 2/2s led to granularity problems. How do you make a creature that would kill a human, but get killed by a bear? You'd need to either use 1.5/1.5 or have some kind of combat mechanic to make it happen.

make it a 1/2

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FoW in general seems to suffer from being low budget art-wise, but higher-quality anime art is better than magic art because it actually uses bright, interesting colors, instead of a blob of whatever section of the color pie the card belongs to like in mtg.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

I agree, it's heinous and awful and I'd like you to post some more cards

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

cheetah7071 posted:

FoW in general seems to suffer from being low budget art-wise, but higher-quality anime art is better than magic art because it actually uses bright, interesting colors, instead of a blob of whatever section of the color pie the card belongs to like in mtg.

How does it feel to be objectively wrong with a nominally subjective statement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah doing 5000 damage makes you feel like a more powerful wizard than doing 5. Pokemon also has the cool contoured foils that we're never gonna get in magic unless you wanna see Kibler rubbing his cards every time he shuffles.

this is exactly what i want to see, actually.

• Locked thread