Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

:siren: mini pages are now available at csi :siren:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/222511

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Chill la Chill posted:

I am interpreting it as choosing either function of the card but that they exist on two physically distinct copies instead of a dual-sided one. I've seen dumb tricky wording like this before.

And while most PS that might want to reduce its PS are already in the middle where it doesn't matter either way, I can see it being a niche solution for blocking opportunities. However, this would be a more salient point if Y-wings had a natural PS9 w/ EPT.

Why would they preview two distinct cards in a set where they're only giving you one of them? Did FFG toilet-paper your yard or something? This seems like a stretch. It's one thing to put Autothrusters in with the Starviper, it's another thing to assume FFG is going to split a dual function card across two packs because.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Chill la Chill posted:

I am interpreting it as choosing either function of the card but that they exist on two physically distinct copies instead of a dual-sided one. I've seen dumb tricky wording like this before.

That's obviously not what's going on in the card fan.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Tekopo posted:

Yeah you can't toss someone off the map, I wasn't really arguing about any of the rest:

Q: can a ship decloak or perform a boost or barrel roll that would cause it to go outside the play area (and thus ee the battle eld)?
a: no. a ship cannot decloak or perform a boost or barrel roll if this would cause its base to go outside the play area.

What I was driving at before was that the rules were written in such a way that it reads like: no, you can't do actions that would crash you into stuff or leave the map, regardless of what that action is. If Tractor Beam is an exception to this rule, it stands to reason that it's at least a question as to whether or not it could toss you off the map, because it can toss you onto a rock/into a ship, which the rules normally do not allow for. You use the barrel roll/boost template archetypes to tugboat someone around the map, but if (as it seems) it doesn't count as barrel roll or a boost, the rules for "you can't barrel roll or boost off the map" might similarly not apply, since it isn't an actual barrel roll or boost that is happening.

I still don't think that you'll be able to fling Corran Horn into the vast reaches of space as he disengages before his next double-tap run, but I could be wrong.

EDIT:

alg posted:

:siren: mini pages are now available at csi :siren:

So just to make sure I'm reading this right you get 100 pages for $20, it isn't $20 per page right

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kai Tave posted:

Why would they preview two distinct cards in a set where they're only giving you one of them? Did FFG toilet-paper your yard or something? This seems like a stretch. It's one thing to put Autothrusters in with the Starviper, it's another thing to assume FFG is going to split a dual function card across two packs because.

I never said that. I said two copies, one of which says +1 PS, the other says -1 PS, in a single mist hunter product blister.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

^^^^^Adaptability is clearly a double sided card. You can see in the card fan two cards are showing -1 PS version and the +1 PS version is absent entirely, which means it must be on the other side. Also the fact it's called a dual card.

Kai Tave posted:

Why would you ever give up an EPT slot solely to give your ship -1 PS and that's it, that would be worse than dumb.

It's free and lower PS is a boon for blocking and bombing, specifically.

Also I'm assuming you choose which side of the card to use on a per game basis, so you can use it to break ties in your favor. I'm thinking something like Oicunn + Fel, where you want Oicunn moving first and Fel moving last, you can give up initiative for Fel while reducing your PS so you can bump and block people with Oicunn. Or, if the matchup calls for it, have Oicunn at PS5. You might even say it's adaptable.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 12, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ZenMastaT posted:

Looks like it may well be 0 points to lose a PS too which does seem a bit strange, unless you can change it at your whim mid game:

Where did you find this version?

Lower PS potentially lets you spend two EPT slots to get a 5 and a 7 on the same PS for free, which might be super important with Tractor beams.

And that's without the possible implications of maybe being able to switch mid-game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ojetor posted:

^^^^^Adaptability is clearly a double sided card. You can see in the card fan two cards are showing -1 PS version and the +1 PS version is absent entirely, which means it must be on the other side. Also the fact it's called a dual card.

It's free and lower PS is a boon for blocking and bombing, specifically.

Also I'm assuming you choose which side of the card to use on a per game basis, so you can use it to break ties in your favor. I'm thinking something like Oicunn + Fel, where you want Oicunn moving first and Fel moving last, you can give up initiative for Fel while reducing your PS so you can bump and block people with Oicunn.

No I get why you might want it situationally but not as a single standalone card which is what I thought Chill la Chill was saying, but yeah, the card fan shows two copies with identical art so it has to be double sided.

Personally I think it'd be more interesting if you could adjust whether it was plus or minus on a per round basis rather than just locking it at the start of the game.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

thespaceinvader posted:

Where did you find this version?

Lower PS potentially lets you spend two EPT slots to get a 5 and a 7 on the same PS for free, which might be super important with Tractor beams.

And that's without the possible implications of maybe being able to switch mid-game.

Open the picture window in the FFG preview and use the arrows at the bottom to scroll through the images. It's there right next to the other version.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

With the "Dual Card" designation and the name "Adaptability" combined with the explanation of how it works I'm going to assume it's double sided (+1 skill on one, -1 on the other) and you are allowed to flip it during the game (at the start of the turn or phase maybe)

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Ojetor said what I was going to say, lower PS isn't useless, it's great for bumping (ahem, Enhanced Scopes), and that it looks to be double sided.

I don't see any reason why it'd be by turn with a flipping mechanic unless the card explicitly said so, and it doesn't, so I think it's pretty safe to assume it's per game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It would be pretty neat if you can flip it during the game. It makes good lore sense and fits the name. MTG had this mechanic too. It would create headaches and have a need for well defined "at the beginning of a turn" sequence, though.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Foolster41 posted:

Ojetor said what I was going to say, lower PS isn't useless, it's great for bumping (ahem, Enhanced Scopes), and that it looks to be double sided.

I don't see any reason why it'd be by turn with a flipping mechanic unless the card explicitly said so, and it doesn't, so I think it's pretty safe to assume it's per game.

It would be a game rule for Dual cards. Not the first time they've done game rules for upgrade keywords.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Yeah, it would be neat, but I don't think nessicery considering it's a 0 pt. card.
Also in MTG it'd say something like "(tap): flip this card" or something, and I don't see how FFG wouldn't do the same.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Foolster41 posted:

Yeah, it would be neat, but I don't think nessicery considering it's a 0 pt. card.
Also in MTG it'd say something like "(tap): flip this card" or something, and I don't see how FFG wouldn't do the same.

A rules explanation card (like for almost every other upgrade with janky mechanics saying that you can choose to flip the card when you reveal your maneuver dial. Easy, and keeps the card itself tidier, since if you put that text on every dual card you wouldn't have the physical room for much actual upgrade printed there.

THREAD MOVING FAST EDIT: I hope they do this because it makes the card a lot more interesting than a free PS boost (which is what it'd be most likely on ships where you wouldn't take any other EPT).

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 12, 2016

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Can something be tractored more than once in a turn by multiple attackers? Because I'm picturing a B-wing trio pushing an ace right in front of an Enhanced Scopes Corran and getting a little excited.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

grassy gnoll posted:

Can something be tractored more than once in a turn by multiple attackers? Because I'm picturing a B-wing trio pushing an ace right in front of an Enhanced Scopes Corran and getting a little excited.

It says "the first time you receive a tractor beam token" so nope. Multiple tokens will take off multiple agility though.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

Yes, but the movement only occurs the first time a ship receives a tractor beam token. You can stack the agility penalty but you cannot chain movement.

e: whatever

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

E: was a reply to this

Devlan Mud posted:

A rules explanation card (like for almost every other upgrade with janky mechanics saying that you can choose to flip the card when you reveal your maneuver dial. Easy, and keeps the card itself tidier, since if you put that text on every dual card you wouldn't have the physical room for much actual upgrade printed there.

True, that's a possibility.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Devlan Mud posted:

This is the blatant unfortunate side effect of choosing to go with mini American upgrades. :(

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Chill la Chill posted:

This is the blatant unfortunate side effect of choosing to go with mini American upgrades. :(

It bugs me to no end that the bombs don't tell you what the gently caress they actually do.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Not sure how I feel about the Mist Hunter's dial, but having 1 turns available and two speeds of K turn is pretty nice for a smuggler boat. I have a feeling I'm gonna be getting this expansion mostly for the upgrades as opposed to flying the ship.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If it's simply on a per game basis then the card is going to be a whole lot more situational, especially considering that you have to put it on a ship with an EPT slot that you decided to otherwise ignore when building your list for some reason.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Poopy Palpy posted:

It bugs me to no end that the bombs don't tell you what the gently caress they actually do.

The timing differences between the different bombs really upsets me too. :mad:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Devlan Mud posted:

Yes, but the movement only occurs the first time a ship receives a tractor beam token. You can stack the agility penalty but you cannot chain movement.

e: whatever

overdesigned posted:

It says "the first time you receive a tractor beam token" so nope. Multiple tokens will take off multiple agility though.

drat, that's what I get for reading the forums at work.

Still, looking forward to flushing Soontir's dodge right down the drain with the tractor conga line.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

If it's simply on a per game basis then the card is going to be a whole lot more situational, especially considering that you have to put it on a ship with an EPT slot that you decided to otherwise ignore when building your list for some reason.

This is why I'm really hoping it's flip on maneuver dial removal, since it's an extremely limited card without it, and will not see play very much.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

drat, that's what I get for reading the forums at work.

Still, looking forward to flushing Soontir's dodge right down the drain with the tractor conga line.

Eh, just one hit is plenty to gently caress with Soonts, hit him once and he goes from 4 agility to 2 and becomes incredibly fragile.

Hitting him *at all* that's the trick...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Devlan Mud posted:

Not sure how I feel about the Mist Hunter's dial, but having 1 turns available and two speeds of K turn is pretty nice for a smuggler boat. I have a feeling I'm gonna be getting this expansion mostly for the upgrades as opposed to flying the ship.
It's a better dial than a B-wing and only slightly worse than the Y-wing. For a 8 HP small ship that has access to AdSensors, it is a pretty good dial. The mist hunter is gonna be the scum b-wing that it sorely needs.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It even has the pilots that mess with stress that the B-Wing has. 4-LOM is going to be trolly as FUUUUUCK. E: why yess I will tractor beam you, drop you onto this debris cloud next to me, and then give you a stress token. :v:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

How does one get rid of a tractor beam token?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Madurai posted:

End of turn, all of them are removed.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

First, you get Obi-wan onto the death star...

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Adaptability is what I put on Wes and Luke so that my entire list flies at PS 9 and I don't have to spend 2 points on VI just to get Wes and Luke to shoot before Wedge.

Already imagining what I can do with those 2 points. I'm getting the sense that Flechette Torpedo on Luke (to be a fuckhuge dick on the merge against anything with 4 hull or less with two stress dealing X-wings) might be fun since my EPT slots will be taken, but I suppose we'll see! I might just go back down to an initiative bid at 98 points, or I could drop the Flechette on Wes for a Proton on Wedge and swap Integrated to Guidance Chimps for a super Wedge gently caress you alpha strike.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Tekopo posted:

End of turn, all of them are removed.

Which is why they should have been circular :mad:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Madurai posted:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/75/35/7535d2ea-b3d4-4609-a576-027484669c7e/swx41_tractorbeam-reference.png
They get taken off in the end phase.

E: loving soontirs.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 12, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I hope that tractor beams curtail the prevalence of VSP so I can continue to use Fat Han unimpeded. :)

(It won't. Lol at Soontir failing a 3 dice attack)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
That TIE-D title with a tractor beam is going to be so gnarly when jousting. Pull a ship closer (maybe range 1!) and blast it while it rolls one fewer green die.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Chill la Chill posted:

I hope that tractor beams curtail the prevalence of VSP so I can continue to use Fat Han unimpeded. :)

Tractor Beams are range 1-3 and just a single point. Bring enough of them, and his dice will gently caress him eventually, and in the meantime you're taking away his range bonus using a secondary weapon.

Also Tractor Beams are going to gently caress up Han real bad.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

canyoneer posted:

That TIE-D title with a tractor beam is going to be so gnarly when jousting. Pull a ship closer (maybe range 1!) and blast it while it rolls one fewer green die.

At the very least, get it out if the way of your k-turn. We all know you're going to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Eh, I'm hoping I can manage to fit crack shot onto my TIE/D. But the real thing with it on Defenders particularly is token stripping. Soontir is good but when you're throwing three or four attacks in a turn he runs out of tokens pretty fast, and one's he's taken even a single hit he becomes a lot easier to kill.

• Locked thread