Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Hulk Krogan posted:

Is it really so weird that, having seen both versions, people would prefer the one that does not have an ugly, unnecessary scene?

But you see, you can just create your own theatrical cut by skipping scenes you don't like! It's totally the same thing and it's free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Waffles Inc. posted:

i mean it bothers people that much? seriously? people can't stomach like 2 minutes of han talking to jabba so much that they want a new version?

edit: made this less personal since it sounded wicked angry before and i honestly don't care that much i'm just baffled

It doesn't bother me a ton. I liked the scene when I saw it in theaters when the special editions were released. I thought all the additions were pretty cool except Greedo shooting first since it's really dumb and hokey looking. Then the DVDs were released later and I enjoyed those as well.

However, I would like a special edition of the theatrical cut to exist. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I could live with a release that included some of the "cleaned up" special effects and omitted the really jarring new scenes. But I still would prefer one with no new effects at all, so I can watch it and say "wow, these are really impressive, landmark special effects for a movie that came out in 1977, I can really understand why this movie was such a big deal when it came out." By making the movie less dated, Lucas has simultaneously made it less impressive.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

y'know it just occurred to me that it would totally make sense for a single DVD release that has the option for both

i'm with y'all now--i'd never use the option but yeah, a button on the same menu that was like "begin remastered edition" and "begin theatrical" would work

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

porfiria posted:

That's not the writer's opinion though. Read the article again.

You're correct that the writer of that article didn't supply the quote, he was quoting another person's actual opinion on Star Wars. Which is why Lucas is ironically wearing the shirt, as a reminder to himself and probably his crew that not everyone is going to love everything they do.

I think Cnut's point still stands. HIs point isn't that "the prequel haters are wrong, the films are basically the same" or whatever. His point is that this was how Lucas saw the parallels between the negativity he got during the release over the original OT and the negativity he got during the prequels.

A lot of people use the argument against Lucas that he ignored what the fans wanted. Someone a handful of pages back bolded a quote from Lucas about how he knew the audience would want to see Vader hunting down Jedi, but "he just didn't give a poo poo" or whatever. I think this shows that it wasn't just a matter of Lucas being surrounded by "yes" men or him ignoring the impassioned outcry of the fans. He had dealt with something similar (again, from his perspective) before, but he ignored it then and struck gold. This time it didn't work out for him in the long run, but it wasn't just a case of him being a stubborn dick (or I guess it was, but so was the original Star Wars).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Waffles Inc. posted:

y'know it just occurred to me that it would totally make sense for a single DVD release that has the option for both

i'm with y'all now--i'd never use the option but yeah, a button on the same menu that was like "begin remastered edition" and "begin theatrical" would work

Yes, hundreds of films do this and it's good. Options are good.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Waffles Inc. posted:

And a Blu-ray release, so they can free R2 lol.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Movies are historical documents. The original cuts are of cultural significance to the United States and film history. The special editions are too, like the two versions of Wordsworth's Prelude, but they document a very different period of film history.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jack Gladney posted:

Movies are historical documents. The original cuts are of cultural significance to the United States and film history. The special editions are too, like the two versions of Wordsworth's Prelude, but they document a very different period of film history.

Lucas withholding the non-special editions is one of the last handful of things I legitimately think is kinda lovely. But at the same time it's not like they don't exist in other formats; Lucas didn't destroy the original prints or whatever. The only thing he did is withhold the option to buy them on modern formats.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Guy A. Person posted:

Lucas withholding the non-special editions is one of the last handful of things I legitimately think is kinda lovely. But at the same time it's not like they don't exist in other formats; Lucas didn't destroy the original prints or whatever. The only thing he did is withhold the option to buy them on modern formats.

I woulda bought the OT DVD set in a heart beat if it was the theatrical cut, better than having to rely on Harmy's DeSpecialized edits. I'm getting pretty close to the same movie anyway, but would prefer a legitimate means to do so. Plus, a real DVD set looks way cooler on my shelf.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
are we talking about The Force Awakens in this thread? I think Rey is the love child of Chewbacca and the nurse, abandoned because shame

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

He is preventing others who could restore the films properly from getting access to the negative.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BrianWilly posted:

I can think of so many of my own fingers I'd rather cut off than to watch Taxi Driver.

Good god.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Filthy Casual posted:

I woulda bought the OT DVD set in a heart beat if it was the theatrical cut, better than having to rely on Harmy's DeSpecialized edits. I'm getting pretty close to the same movie anyway, but would prefer a legitimate means to do so. Plus, a real DVD set looks way cooler on my shelf.

Yea like I said I do think it is dickish for him not to provide the option at all. I don't own any of the DVD's/Blu-rays but would buy the OT either separately or in a boxed set if they released them de-specialized (I don't have a huge DVD collection I only get stuff I really like and think I am going to watch multiple times a year, otherwise I'm fine renting or waiting for HBO/Netflix).

I was just responding to the historic significance thing. I agree they're historically significant, I just don't think that comes into play in this instance.

Jack Gladney posted:

He is preventing others who could restore the films properly from getting access to the negative.

So - and I admit I am not knowledgeable about this at all - is this something that is ultimately going to prevent archival of the original film in the long run? Like will the negatives (I assume they are properly stored and cared for at the very least) going to deteriorate to the point where the originals will not be accessible at some point in the future? Is this an "every second counts" instance or a "if he gives someone access to do a proper restoration/digital backup in the next 20 years we should be good" thing?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Guy A. Person posted:

You're correct that the writer of that article didn't supply the quote, he was quoting another person's actual opinion on Star Wars. Which is why Lucas is ironically wearing the shirt, as a reminder to himself and probably his crew that not everyone is going to love everything they do.

I think Cnut's point still stands. HIs point isn't that "the prequel haters are wrong, the films are basically the same" or whatever. His point is that this was how Lucas saw the parallels between the negativity he got during the release over the original OT and the negativity he got during the prequels.

A lot of people use the argument against Lucas that he ignored what the fans wanted. Someone a handful of pages back bolded a quote from Lucas about how he knew the audience would want to see Vader hunting down Jedi, but "he just didn't give a poo poo" or whatever. I think this shows that it wasn't just a matter of Lucas being surrounded by "yes" men or him ignoring the impassioned outcry of the fans. He had dealt with something similar (again, from his perspective) before, but he ignored it then and struck gold. This time it didn't work out for him in the long run, but it wasn't just a case of him being a stubborn dick (or I guess it was, but so was the original Star Wars).

Still no, actually. I'm not trying to be a dick, but people really should read the article, it's quite good, and the writer is doing something fairly fun rhetorically in that particular passage.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

porfiria posted:

Still no, actually. I'm not trying to be a dick, but people really should read the article, it's quite good, and the writer is doing something fairly fun rhetorically in that particular passage.

I've been skimming the article, although I am at work so I haven't read it thoroughly.

I am glad that the article is cool but at the same time, again, I don't think Cnut's point is invalidated that there were people who thought like that at the time of the original Star Wars' release (again, it was still a direct quote that was on his shirt).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guy A. Person posted:

So - and I admit I am not knowledgeable about this at all - is this something that is ultimately going to prevent archival of the original film in the long run?

No, because they're already in the Library of Congress.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Probably the biggest thing is the existence of old-school technicolor prints of the film that don't degrade like "ordinary" 35mm color film, meaning that decades from now they could be used to make a restoration essentially indistinguishable from the original theatrical showings.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
Had another viewing of TFA and noticed how Ren said to Ray that he wants to teach her in the force. He doesn't talk about the dark side (if I remember correctly, neither he or Snoke ever mention the dark side) which further supports my own speculation in regard to what direction they try to go. To me it seems like they want to explore certain gray areas or the force as whole and that's what Snoke/Ren are all about (it would even explain Ren's "finish what you started"-angle).
It's also interesting how different the relationship between Ren and Snoke is compared to any dark side users ever depicted in Star Wars. Ren can confess his weakness/struggles with the light side to Snoke without fear of punishment, it suggests a genuine mentor/student relationship.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I saw an old article on my Facebook feed that was about Disney being interested in putting out unaltered versions of the original trilogy. The article was from March. Any update on that since then?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

LinkesAuge posted:

Had another viewing of TFA and noticed how Ren said to Ray that he wants to teach her in the force. He doesn't talk about the dark side (if I remember correctly, neither he or Snoke ever mention the dark side) which further supports my own speculation in regard to what direction they try to go. To me it seems like they want to explore certain gray areas or the force as whole and that's what Snoke/Ren are all about (it would even explain Ren's "finish what you started"-angle).
It's also interesting how different the relationship between Ren and Snoke is compared to any dark side users ever depicted in Star Wars. Ren can confess his weakness/struggles with the light side to Snoke without fear of punishment, it suggests a genuine mentor/student relationship.

ehh they talk about being seduced by the light which to mee seems to insist that they feel the dark side as the correct true path and the light is some abberation.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Ren definitely mentions darkness in his soliloquy to Vader's helmet.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

LinkesAuge posted:

Well Ren does ask Vader's helmet to show him the power of the darkness so he can finish "what you started". What Vader started and didn't finish is uh...? Converting/Killing Luke? The crawl says FO is looking for Luke but Ren is the only one really invested in it.

Spikeguy posted:

I saw an old article on my Facebook feed that was about Disney being interested in putting out unaltered versions of the original trilogy. The article was from March. Any update on that since then?

In September 2015 a friend of Lucas's was like "yeah they are!" and that's it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

LinkesAuge posted:

On this line of thought, I'd predict that it will turn out that, despite worshiping the dark side and being murky badmen, Ren and Snoke aren't actual Sith because they do bad things out of guilt, instead of just loving being evil.

I mean, in the OT we have no frame of reference to believe that Vader was tricked or loathed his position; for all we knew he loved stomping around and choking the poo poo out of people, and the Emperor himself displays a jovial love of being a bad person. Vader falters from the dark side because Luke introduces shame about what he's done; Obi-Wan is some old war buddy, easy to justify cutting him up, not-so-much your own son.

In the PT none of the siths display any sort of shame or guilt about their roles; Maul is energetic when he fights the jedi, Dooku seems to decieve just about every non-sith person for shits and giggles, Palpatine is a literal cackling Dracula, and by the time Anakin joins the dark side he no longer gives a poo poo about anyone (and invited the dark side with his prior belief in complete disregard for the lives of people who aren't family).

Considering our first Vader/Maul in the NT is an emotional basketcase that constantly wavers in his faith in being Hecka Evil I wouldn't be surprised if we learn that Hux had the title of King Hitler foisted upon him, or if we learn that Snoke's scars come from failing a deed in his past.

It would also fit with one of the major themes of TFA; the light side accepts their past but doesn't let it rule them, and moves on. The New Dark Side mulls over their past failures, are intensely fatalist about their lot in life, and can't move on to recover. Luke and Vader lose their hands and immediately replace them with adequate prosthetics, while Snoke wears his lost life, hidden away from all but two children.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So I watched the RLM reviews of the prequels. Then after I saw Ep. 7 with a friend he was talking about the prequels and saying he wanted to watch them. I didn't say anything, but got him to just watch the last half of episode 3's review and he basically said I had ruined the prequels for him. So I gave him the phantom edit version so he's happy again.

Question: I listen to a lot of Super Best Friends and they have mentioned that George Lucas told Portman and Hayden to basically "not act so good." Is there any article or video this is referenced in?

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Well Ren does ask Vader's helmet to show him the power of the darkness so he can finish "what you started". What Vader started and didn't finish is uh...? Converting/Killing Luke? The crawl says FO is looking for Luke but Ren is the only one really invested in it.

The question is what Ren/Snoke think Vader "started". If it's "bringing balance to the force" this leaves a lot of room for different interpretations.
And yes I know that he talked about the power of the darkness but isn't that choice of words at least curious (like he doesn't have that power yet)? I am not trying to suggest that Ren/Snoke don't utilize the dark side but that there is more going on than this, that the dark side could be more like a tool for them (just like the light side).
Snoke just talking about "training" and Ren offering Rey to teach her in the FORCE instead of the dark side must be more than coincidence. Now I can only speculate but maybe Ren is supposed to be a vehicle that combines dark and light side without falling to either side or at least that is what Snoke has him convinced to do (like he first needs to get rid off the light side and learn to use the dark side before he can reach that "next level" of the force so they can accomplish whatever they have set out to do) but there is certainly a very different dynamic between them compared to previous SW villains (they have the Luke/Yoda-relationship down to the whole training-not-finished aspect) as well as a very different characterization (Snoke isn't portrayed evil for the sake of being evil and he seems to be not just visually but also emotionally distant to the First Order like it's just another tool to achieve whatever his ultimate goal is).

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 12, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"Wipe out all the Jedi" seems like a solid bet for finishing Vader's work. It was what Vader was on the verge of accomplishing by the time of the original OT, it would explain why Ren became disillusioned with Luke's teaching and is now trying to track down Luke rather than let him gently caress off to the ends of the universe.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I require this.

http://technabob.com/blog/2016/01/12/graflex-skywalker-lightsaber/

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Spikeguy posted:

So I watched the RLM reviews of the prequels. Then after I saw Ep. 7 with a friend he was talking about the prequels and saying he wanted to watch them. I didn't say anything, but got him to just watch the last half of episode 3's review and he basically said I had ruined the prequels for him. So I gave him the phantom edit version so he's happy again.

Question: I listen to a lot of Super Best Friends and they have mentioned that George Lucas told Portman and Hayden to basically "not act so good." Is there any article or video this is referenced in?

Your friend wanted to watch a movie and instead you showed him a (portion of!) video about how the movie he wants to watch is lovely, then gave him a lovely fan edit. You're a bad friend.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

Your friend wanted to watch a movie and instead you showed him a (portion of!) video about how the movie he wants to watch is lovely, then gave him a lovely fan edit. You're a bad friend.

I think he meant that his friend wanted to watch the RLM reviews...

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Spikeguy posted:

They still don't have the rights and have never expressed an interest since the chances of getting the rights any time soon are low.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

duz posted:

They still don't have the rights and have never expressed an interest since the chances of getting the rights any time soon are low.

And again, there's no reason to do so while business is good. All those articles are the equivalent of "Valve is totally making Half Life 3 next year!"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

greatn posted:

I maintain he got more enjoyment out of the RLM stuff than he would have out of episode 1, 2 or 3. He certainly laughed more and had more emotional connection. We did the pro thing and skipped the creepy bits. And I think the phantom edit is good.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
On a rewatch of Ep I's review, RLM gets way into the weeds about every plot turn, but they're still right: it's just too much junk, and too much depends on other stuff for everything to work.

I question if George Lucas really only went with his first draft, though.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Are the RLM reviews something that should be watched? Don't get me wrong I'm down with popular youtube videos but I give a little pause at this

Empress Theonora posted:

RLM's weird jokes about torturing and murdering women creep me out so much I almost want to like the prequels out of spite.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The Phantom Edit is loving terrible and the creepy bits are like half the RLM videos

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Torture is funny depending on timing and context.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The reviews are a good watch, if you want to avoid the plinkett subplot then just skip forward past the parts where is obvious that's what's going on. People do talk them up a bit, on their own they'd be a very tame horror movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

turtlecrunch posted:

Are the RLM reviews something that should be watched? Don't get me wrong I'm down with popular youtube videos but I give a little pause at this

For the uninitiated it's basically a satire of sad, hateful Youtube reviewers, which is a great way of making 4+ hours of nitpicking funny. The character doing the reviews is a terrible old man who murdered two wives, ate a cat, kidnapped a prostitute and also makes Youtube reviews.

cargohills posted:

The Phantom Edit is loving terrible

Yes. It's abysmal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Steve2911 posted:

For the uninitiated it's basically a satire of sad, hateful Youtube reviewers, which is a great way of making 4+ hours of nitpicking funny. The character doing the reviews is a terrible old man who murdered two wives, ate a cat, kidnapped a prostitute and also makes Youtube reviews.

Yeah, it's not a subtle joke, and it really works best in the prequel videos, as opposed to the Plinkett videos for Star Trek movies and Titanic or whatever.

• Locked thread