Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Fister Roboto posted:

Increased Heir Chance is the gold standard of useless bonuses.

Really? Regencies loving suck and I'd have thought that anything that means you get less of them can't be all bad. I mean it's no coring cost discount but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Really? Regencies loving suck and I'd have thought that anything that means you get less of them can't be all bad. I mean it's no coring cost discount but still.

You get a regencie when your king dies and your dipshit heir is under 15. Heir chance is ok I guess if you keep murdering your heir to try and get a better one.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yes I know how they work. Presumably higher heir chance means you generally get them sooner and they will tend to be older when your monarch dies, so therefore fewer/shorter regencies.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

+Available Advisers is almost completely useless now that you can just dismiss them. Increased Heir Chance is the gold standard of useless bonuses.

Increased heir chance saves you, for the most part, from becoming the junior member of a union. It isn't the gold standard of useless, but it certainly isn't +1 general pip or something. It gives you a little safety net in Christian Europe. I think the absolute, complete waste of space is reduced inflation cost. Like it was said earlier, you need to reduce inflation 53 times just to break even. There isn't any way to defend that, that is bad.

Not to mention there is yearly inflation reduction from Economic, which is the same cost but tons better.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

+Available Advisers is almost completely useless now that you can just dismiss them.
I guess I am in the minority that likes this. I think dismissing advisors is expensive and tedious; I would rather have a better chance of a useful one being there from the get-go.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Bold Robot posted:

- -Cost of Reducing War Exhaustion (Bengal, Diplomatic): Not quite as bad as Reduce Inflation since you might use it in a war, but still really bad. It's just not that expensive to reduce war exhaustion even at sticker price, and they're dip points.

If you dont think this is an amazing national or group idea you just are not playing aggressive enough.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bort Bortles posted:

I guess I am in the minority that likes this. I think dismissing advisors is expensive and tedious; I would rather have a better chance of a useful one being there from the get-go.

Yeah, it's not a very sexy bonus but it has its uses. If you aren't rich it's nice to have more options.

420 Gank Mid posted:

If you dont think this is an amazing national or group idea you just are not playing aggressive enough.

:shrug: It just really doesn't cost that much to reduce WE without that idea. Am I missing something?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Yashichi posted:

If you take Malta there's an event with a 10 year MTTH that lets you release them in Malta. You have to be at peace, be independent, and not have your capital in Malta. It only fires once per country but if you haven't had it before you're fine.

e: The bigger worry is the Livonian Order who have no primary culture cores and also no event to bring them back.

Just to confirm, I don't need a core on Malta for this to fire, right? Just owning the province is enough?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Node posted:

Like it was said earlier, you need to reduce inflation 53 times just to break even.

I don't know, trying to measure the cost/benefit of ideas is a little tricky because you have to purchase them all sequentially. On its face, it's correct to say that its opportunity cost is 400 adm. If you could purchase ideas in any order, this would be a good assessment. But you can't, so you have to consider it as part of the cost of the rest of the idea group. In other words, you're not paying 400 adm for a single lovely bonus, you're paying 2800 adm for 8 bonuses of widely varying quality, plus any potential policies it opens up.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah inflation cost reduction is horrible, especially since the yearly reduction bonuses end up being stronger anyway, but you are probably taking innovative for the policies anyway.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

Yeah, it's not a very sexy bonus but it has its uses. If you aren't rich it's nice to have more options.

:shrug: It just really doesn't cost that much to reduce WE without that idea. Am I missing something?

Over the course of an entire game (I almost always start with diplomatic ideas when I take them) it regularly saves me ~1k diplo points because I press that button dozens of times. When you're a small country you rack up war exhaustion insanely fast from just a few occupied provinces and a single revolt can be brutal so you never want to stay at high WE. And when I get to be huge I usually am in a state of perpetual war so my exhaustion just wont tick down, and every time I get a new batch of provinces to core I pay it down to 0 not to waste admin points.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I don't want to see the already strong groups (administrative, quality, quantity, etc) nerfed, but it'd be nice if some of the weaker groups or at least less chosen groups got buffed. I wonder if which idea groups and when they're picked is part of the metrics Paradox can see like country choice?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
In my opinion anything that saves monarch points, even if it's not many, isn't a worthless modifier. The truly crap ones are things like land unit recruitment time and spy defense.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Koramei posted:

In my opinion anything that saves monarch points, even if it's not many, isn't a worthless modifier. The truly crap ones are things like land unit recruitment time and spy defense.

Even recruit time has a niche use if you're a European who has to deal with a lot of overseas provinces, though less so since Colonial Nations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I wonder if Sunset Invasion is still doable. I wasn't able to pull it off in my one attempt after Common Sense was released.

Time to try!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I did it fairly recently and it's certainly doable, it's just as annoying as it's ever been because you spend a bunch of time consolidating central Mexico, then spend even more time just sitting around doing nothing but slowly colonizing, then hope that you're strong enough to not lose the game 150 years in once you actually encounter the Europeans.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

I don't want to see the already strong groups (administrative, quality, quantity, etc) nerfed, but it'd be nice if some of the weaker groups or at least less chosen groups got buffed. I wonder if which idea groups and when they're picked is part of the metrics Paradox can see like country choice?

Aristocratic - change the -20% WE cost reduction to -0.03/mo passive WE reduction and it would make it a very attractive pick. And/or replace the toxic cores idea with anything vaguely useful.
Innovative - would it be possible to code in a bonus that increases AT (and naval tradition) gains? That sort of fits with being "innovative" and would make Innovative a cool military-focused ADM idea line. Something like 25% increased AT gain from land battles and sieges.

Those two are just kinda borderline right now, I dunno what you do with Naval and Espionage. They're both too niche given the opportunity cost of occupying an idea slot and the point investment.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

Aristocratic - change the -20% WE cost reduction to -0.03/mo passive WE reduction and it would make it a very attractive pick. And/or replace the toxic cores idea with anything vaguely useful.
Innovative - would it be possible to code in a bonus that increases AT (and naval tradition) gains? That sort of fits with being "innovative" and would make Innovative a cool military-focused ADM idea line. Something like 25% increased AT gain from land battles and sieges.
This sounds amazing.

Pellisworth posted:

Those two are just kinda borderline right now, I dunno what you do with Naval and Espionage. They're both too niche given the opportunity cost of occupying an idea slot and the point investment.
I loved someone elses suggestion of ditching Naval entirely and making it so anyone can take Plutocratic or Aristocratic. Naval is just bad.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Bort Bortles posted:

I loved someone elses suggestion of ditching Naval entirely and making it so anyone can take Plutocratic or Aristocratic. Naval is just bad.

I did this in a mod once a long time ago and it worked very well. Extended Vanilla Experience does something similar as well.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Bort Bortles posted:

This is actually a really good idea.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Argh. I was waiting and waiting and waiting to see which league my dearest ally France would join (playing Papal State) I waited ten years and they didn't join either, so I joined the catholic league. Start of next month they join the protestant league and our alliance is broken. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Tsyni posted:

Argh. I was waiting and waiting and waiting to see which league my dearest ally France would join (playing Papal State) I waited ten years and they didn't join either, so I joined the catholic league. Start of next month they join the protestant league and our alliance is broken. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Any great power that has the emperor rivalled will 99/100 times join the protestant league. If France wasn't already rivalling Austria (or whoever) then its possible that they just outgrew an old rival and selected the Emperor and joined the Prot League that same day.

In other words the Rivals mechanic is possibly the most direly in need of a rework out of anything in EU4

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

420 Gank Mid posted:

Any great power that has the emperor rivalled will 99/100 times join the protestant league. If France wasn't already rivalling Austria (or whoever) then its possible that they just outgrew an old rival and selected the Emperor and joined the Prot League that same day.

In other words the Rivals mechanic is possibly the most direly in need of a rework out of anything in EU4

Yeah, I suspected it would happen, but their other two rivals were in the Protestant league so I was hoping they might stay out of it or something. It wouldn't be bad if they didn't have a PU over Castile.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I actually think it might be interesting if there were more trees that could be 'unlocked' like pluto/aristo. Like maybe some unique trees for different relgions or other government types. Perhaps 'advanced' trees that you could open up, say you took humanist and innovative and it opened up some sort of emancipation/equality tree that let you double down or get bigger bonuses.

junidog
Feb 17, 2004
RE: useless boniiusii chat: at the very least, it'd be good to take some of the useless ones out of the random country NI-set generator. Maybe they've improved it, but last time I played on a random countries world (probably 8 months ago) the idea sets were absolutely horrid. Half of everyone's NIs were poo poo like transport cost reduction. Come to think of it, maybe a better way to do random world NIs would be to randomly assign real NI sets (maybe rename them though, so you'd have an idea set that matches Prussia's, but with the generic name for infantry combat boost, rather than goose step).

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I am the Ottomans and have recently taken Venice and some of the Italian Peninsula. Is it worth changing my trade capital to Venice and collecting from there because it's a terminal node?

I have no trade strengthening ideas, only 2 merchants, and the Constantinople node has more trade value (20.30 vs 17.8) and only 1.11 ducats is escaping due to my overwhelming local trade power.

I feel like the Ragusa and Venice trade nodes are going to waste since I physically control them. However I'm worried that Ragusa is vulnerable because many nations are tugging through on the trade route away from Venice.

I am currently pulling from Alexandria and Aleppo.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
You almost certainly do if you have enough trade power. How many ducats are kept in each node?

edit: I think this is the first post I have ever made where I typed my own username.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

theDOWmustflow posted:

I feel like the Ragusa and Venice trade nodes are going to waste since I physically control them. However I'm worried that Ragusa is vulnerable because many nations are tugging through on the trade route away from Venice.

It's hard to tell without actually seeing what's going on in your game (you should post a screenshot with any trade-related question since it's so game-specific) but this is usually the correct assumption/realization. Venice is a deceptively weak end node precisely because of Ragusa and because there are so many ways to divert trade away from it 2-3 nodes up the line. Like I said it's hard to give you specific advice without seeing how much power you actually have in said trade nodes and what territory you're holding, but even if you have every province in the Ragusa node the caravan bonuses that a lot of the HRE states get are usually still annoying enough to seriously hamper the trade going into Venice.

My gut reaction would be for you to probably collect in Constantinople and just ignore Ragusa/Venice for now until you either push into Europe and dismantle the HRE or push farther west and set up shop in Genoa, which is a fantastic end node precisely because you can theoretically funnel something like 95%+ of the world's trade into it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

theDOWmustflow posted:

I am the Ottomans and have recently taken Venice and some of the Italian Peninsula. Is it worth changing my trade capital to Venice and collecting from there because it's a terminal node?

I have no trade strengthening ideas, only 2 merchants, and the Constantinople node has more trade value (20.30 vs 17.8) and only 1.11 ducats is escaping due to my overwhelming local trade power.

I am currently pulling from Alexandria and Aleppo.
You could send a merchant to collect in Venice, you'll do so at a trade power penalty but its probably worth it.

Don't change your home port though, as you've observed Venice is very leaky especially through Ragusa

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

You could send a merchant to collect in Venice, you'll do so at a trade power penalty but its probably worth it.

Don't change your home port though, as you've observed Venice is very leaky especially through Ragusa

I'm not so sure. He's got such a stranglehold on Constantinople, switching trade capital to Venice and collecting in Constantinople at half strength might be better than keeping capital in Constantinople and collecting at half strength in Venice. If you're collecting 95% of C's trade, losing half your power would mean you'd only be losing ~1 ducat (you'd go from having ~95:5 trade power to ~47.5:5, so you'd still have 90% of the power). I'd think doubling trade strength in Venice would gain you more than 1 ducat, but I could be wrong. That said, the math gets so whacky, it might not work out as simply as my back-of-envelope math implies. This also ignores the dip cost, an extra 2 ducats might not be worth 300 dip.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Also keep in mind that Trade Power bonuses are all additive afaik, so you're probably not going to lose a full *half* of your trade power.

I'd agree it sounds like he should be collecting in both nodes somehow

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The best way to maximize your trade income is to get forced into a regency. Kill your heir and then spend ten years experimenting with every combination of merchants, trade ships, and province modifiers to squeeze out an extra ducat.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Don't collect in Venice, send your trade fleet there as pirates.

e: Actually, collecting in both Venice and Constantinople isn't a bad idea, since Constantinople only flows to Ragusa. If you completely control all three nodes, you should get almost all of the trade value despite the trade power penalty. Although you would need a third merchant in Ragusa to direct the trade.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 13, 2016

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
You should steer from Alexandria to Venice, ignore Ragusa since it gets ruined by lovely German minors. Once you control all of the land in the Venice node (which isn't especially hard since it's not particularly large) nobody else will have any power and you can collect without any problems.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So what is the general rule on how the game is calculating War Contribution w/r/t how much War Contribution an AI ally adds. e.g. is it calculating Battles fought but not adding much based on land occupied or forts sieged, or what? Because I cant figure it out.

edit: Thanks for the 5 fire leader in 1445 :thumbsup:

edit2: holyshit Uzbek and Timurids came to my aid and we won a defensive war against Muscovy. Its 1448 and Muscovy is down Kasimov, Murom, Suzdal, Nizhny Novgorod, and Alatyr and their entire army. I think I am going to Raze it all then release Quasim and give 'em Murom and Suzdal, then release Nizhny Novgorod as a second vassal.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 13, 2016

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

hmm

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I enjoy being big enough to get a coalition and declare on it as a response, taking land. gently caress you in Afghanistan you're a bunch of Indian minors how did you see this ending?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Genoa had noble rebels spawning in Cafa or whatever the place is called but a hundred years later they were still awkwardly standing around. You'd think one of them would give in eventually.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Why exactly is it that Austria usually goes on a loving annexing rampage in the HRE and then doesn't release the conquered territories? I've seen the AI kneecap it's own IA by dipping below the minimum because it ate all of Franconia, Bavaria and Swabia, as well as everything in Italy north of the Papal States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Just learned that Persia was majority Sunni until the 1500's but in this it already starts as Shia.

• Locked thread