Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I think we should all take a few minutes to observe that, at this point, my bets have been 100% correct, making me not only the evilest but at least tied for the most accurate bettor in tournament history.

Please commemorate this occasion with fan art. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
In Like Flynn is laying down a marker! That hat-trick of kills takes him to thirteen dead by his hand, enough to have soloed three entire teams with a death to spare. He's averaging just shy of two kills every single round!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

AJ_Impy posted:

In Like Flynn is laying down a marker! That hat-trick of kills takes him to thirteen dead by his hand, enough to have soloed three entire teams with a death to spare. He's averaging just shy of two kills every single round!

Consistency! That's what I like to see in a fighter.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

Anthony is being knocked down by Abominable over and over again. The tigerman gets to his feet, attempts and attack and is bowled over again. Abominable comes up with an iron mail shirt somehow and begins whipping uselessly at Anthony with it. I really don't get it, I can't find where he would have gotten ahold of it. He was biting, kicking, punching and then all of a sudden in the logs he's holding a shirt and swinging it like an idiot.

dasmause posted:

Can you strip armor from other fighters? Cause Anthony has an iron shirt
Yes. If they grab a persons held or worn object and then get forced apart, a good wrestler will often win the the contest for the item.

Unsurprisingly, in the combat log:

quote:

Abominable Gladiator_HELL grabs Anthony_LASER by the large iron mail shirt with her left hand!

Also, with the fights already being run out of order, and the now large delays between individual fights, can we get some kind of notice that a round has ended to do our tweaking?

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

My gladiators success is in stark contrast with my betting success, I should bet on my own team more

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Pickled Tink posted:

Also, with the fights already being run out of order, and the now large delays between individual fights, can we get some kind of notice that a round has ended to do our tweaking?

Yeah, that's my bad. I usually post that it's a new round beginning. Only like 8 more fights to run before the next round...

I could not find that in the combat log. Although I was sick of the combat log by the point I decided to look.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Cathode Raymond posted:

Please commemorate this occasion with fan art. Thank you.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
It's beautiful!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Pickled Tink posted:

I will make an effort to make that explicit, too. It is good to remind people not only for that, but also to bet anew. Thanks for the reminder.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Just wanted to give props to Mogwai's manager for the surprise dagger replacing one of his bucklers. It could totally have worked.

I wish my moleman had more points to play with :(

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Maugrim posted:

Just wanted to give props to Mogwai's manager for the surprise dagger replacing one of his bucklers. It could totally have worked.

I wish my moleman had more points to play with :(

All their points leak out when they have their nervous system removed I guess.

All these mid-season weapon swappers should at least be able to get the first few ranks of their skills over the next few fights. You know, until the skill costs skyrocket.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Ramc posted:

All these mid-season weapon swappers should at least be able to get the first few ranks of their skills over the next few fights. You know, until the skill costs skyrocket.
That is actually a good idea. I should give The Abominable Gladiator some misc object user skill so she can more effectively beat people to death with their own armour/limbs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I wish I could turn some skills off.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

goatface posted:

I wish I could turn some skills off.

Have your arms pre-severed. All points into biting.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren: Round 7, Fight 3 :siren:

Worse Munki is on the left side of the arena.
Experiment Twenty-Two (fallingdownjoe) is a female tigerman. She wields a copper long sword and a copper shield and wears a copper helm, an iron mail shirt, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.
Strangler Than Fiction (Tunicate) is a female strangler. She is empty handed and wears an iron helm, leather armor, a platinum mail shirt, a copper mail shirt, bronze gauntlets, and copper low boots.
SRIRACHA FARTSTORM RETURNS (Pittsburgh Lambic) is a male elf. He wields a silver war hammer and wears leather leggings and leather high boots.
Chaz Steadyfist (Segway Rave) is a male werewolf. He wields an iron halberd and a wooden shield and wears a silver helm, leather armor, leather leggings, and leather gauntlets.

Cool Rad Awesome Pals is on the right side of the arena.
Punc Hant (Silverminnow) is a female soldier ant woman. She is empty handed and wears adamantine gauntlets.
BS-45 "Apeliminator" (alcharagia) is a male strangler. He wields a bronze whip and a wooden buckler and wears no armor.
Jimbo Akimbo (Bad Munki) is a male dwarf. He wields a copper war hammer and a copper war hammer and wears an iron cap, an iron mail shirt, iron gauntlets, and iron low boots.
The Krying Bowbold Returns! (Krysmphoenix) is a female kobold. She wields a steel bow and wears no armor.

Worse Munki is a 5.32 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 8432.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 1586.00 dwarfbucks for Cool Rad Awesome Pals.

Bowbold fires an arrow, missing horribly.

Punc Hant bravely charges into Strangler's teeth. The Antwoman falls to the floor and becomes enraged. Experiment 22 gets a blow in, but it is deflected by the ants gauntlets. The second swipe from the huge sword takes an arm off entirely.

Punc Hant does the impossible. Literally.
Punc Hant_PALS punches Strangler than Fiction_MUNKI in the upper body, but the attack passes right through!

I don't even know.

Anyway, the antchick gets thrashed around in Stranglers teeth. Jimbo Akimbo puts a hammer into Fartstorms stomach and Fartstorm spends a minute throwing up. Chaz and Apeliminator dodge and trade missed blows for a moment. Jimbo puts another hammer into Fartstorm's face, and the elf is unconscious.

Apeliminator charges Chaz, but Chaz nearly chops the stranglers leg off in retaliaton. Chaz's second swipe takes Punc Hants head off.

Another blow and Jimbo evens the odds.

Chaz thinks even odds is a dumb idea, so he takes off Apeliminators head with his very next swing. So it's now a 3v1 (plus a bowbold) and it's fricken Bad Munki's gladiator. A quick mop up and we're done here.

Bowbold sees his teammate in danger and helps out the only way he knows how.

Jimbo dodges and dodges, blocking blows from 3 gladiators like some kind of blocking machine. But wait, he dodges forward and lands a strike on Chaz's hand, fracturing bone and causing him to drop the deadly halberd! This could change everything!

Bowbold decides to actually aim this time and plants an arrow deep into Experiment 22's arm. The Tigerman passes out from the pain! Now it's a 2v1! Jimbo vs 2 unarmed opponents; can he do it?

Strangler than Fiction bites Jimbo's back teeth in a grotesque mockery of a kiss... teeth fly across (and out) of the arena. Jimbo bruises his opponents for a moment or ten. Seriously, it's like 10 minutes of him bruising and dodging the two remaining gladiators.

***Insert lost gif here***
Jimbo's luck runs out relatively quickly... Strangler bites his thigh, tearing meat off of the bone. Jimbo, horrified and a complete pussy, passes out from pain. 2 standing (unarmed) gladiators vs a small iron cap.

:siren:Fast Forward 18 hours:siren:

Bowbold puts 14 arrows into and around Experiment 22... Finally a steel arrow finds his head. Experiment 22 is dead. In a terrible stroke of luck, Jimbo bleeds to death before Bowbold can reload and help his teammate.

Reload, little bowbold, reload quick!

**Insert missed screenshot. I took a screenshot of my other monitor instead of the events of the amazing description below**
Bowbold reloads and takes aim... Strangler and Chaz are a little hurt and 100% exhausted. Completely exhausted. Over exerted, tired, and bruised to hell. With trembling arms Bowbold releases. The flying steel bolt flies true slams into Strangler's stomach. Strangler falls to the floor, clinging to the brink of reality. Will he pass out?

This just pisses Chaz off, and with a roar he redoubles his effort to close the gap.

Bowbold reloads, pissing himself in fear... He draws back the string... and BAM. DOWN GOES CHAZ! The arrow hit his arm point blank, chipped the bone, and Chaz falls to the floor unconscious!

But what's this? Strangler stood up, hunched over around the arrow in his kidney. Strangler charges, desperate to land a blow and end this fight.

Bad luck finally strikes Bowbold. He finishes putting another arrow into Chaz's comatose body and finally notices Strangler mere feet away. It's too late to reload.

Strangler manages to latch onto the tiny kobold, biting with his mouth and breaking a hip with his hands. Then he shakes the small kobold around again and again until the Bowbold is no more.

Worse Munki won in a very close contest. Who knew Oak Bucklers couldn't get through an iron cap?

Kills:
Chaz Steadyfist: 3
Strangler than Fiction: 1

Krying Bowbold: 1
Jimbo Akimbo: 1

Combat Log

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Punc Hant does the impossible. Literally.
Punc Hant_PALS punches Strangler than Fiction_MUNKI in the upper body, but the attack passes right through!

I don't even know.

Combo cancelling, scrubs. :smuggo:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

God damnit.

Also,
Dude. Come on. It's Cool Rad Awesome Pals. That should be _CRAP and you know it. :colbert:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
This battle saw the two 'Returns' siblings face off, with Krying Bowbold exonerating himself with a kill and several injuries that almost turned the match, Shriracha Fartstorm dying to Bad Munki's gladiator.

Chaz Steadyfist is keeping pace at the top of the leaderboard, matching In Like Flynn kill for kill, joining him on 13 fatalities.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Combo cancelling, scrubs. :smuggo:

Those invincibility frames are killer.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Dude. Come on. It's Cool Rad Awesome Pals. That should be _CRAP and you know it. :colbert:

How did I not notice this.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

How did I not notice this.

I mean, I changed the team name just to make the acronym. Of all the things you've done, all the matches you've thrown and games you've rigged, this, this one thing is unforgivable.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
If I had to guess, I would say the punching attacks passing right through are where the game is making the attack using a limb that has been destroyed and/or removed. Since there is no limb to make the attack, the blow simply passes through the opponent without harm.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Noooo Krying! :cry:

You're supposed to spread the arrows around, so that all your enemies are too pained to get towards you, not wasting 14 shots on someone who's already down

edit: also, seriously people, pronouns!

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 12, 2016

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Krying felt the only thing that could stop his own tears was murder.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
do i even need to say anything about apeliminator at this point

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

alcharagia posted:

After seven matches, against twenty-eight possible targets, that thing is still Unblooded.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

alcharagia posted:

An experiment of exactly opposite equipment choices.

It appears weapons are the problem

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah just turn it into an iron pick and BAM, instant formula for murder. Just add a few skill points into Misc. Weapons when you can.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
From the looks of the log, Sriracha wasn't laid out flat by a hammer blow; while he was throwing up, he kicked Jimbo Akimbo in the shin. Then, Jimbo kicked him in the FACE and he was knocked unconscious.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

From the looks of the log, Sriracha wasn't laid out flat by a hammer blow; while he was throwing up, he kicked Jimbo Akimbo in the shin. Then, Jimbo kicked him in the FACE and he was knocked unconscious.

Thats true. I forgot about that. I was going to make some Drizz't joke about the ultra move he devlops which is 'kick him in the face when both weapons are occupied' and then my phone rang and I forgot.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren: Round 7, Fight 1 :siren:

This Bites is on the left side of the arena.
Knife Toseeu (synthorange) is a female strangler. She wields a copper large dagger and a wooden buckler and wears a bronze cap.
Sun Tzulander the Philomodel (Keru) is a male elf. He is empty handed and wears a steel cap, a copper mail shirt, a silver breast plate, leather leggings, leather gauntlets, and leather high boots.
Roland Gorchnik (Maarak) is a male human. He wields a copper whip and a copper scourge and wears an iron cap, leather armor, leather gauntlets, and leather low boots.
Eyeteeth IV (Revenant Threshold) is a male werewolf. He wields a silver buckler and wears an iron helm, leather armor, an iron mail shirt, iron greaves, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.

Subterranean Animists is on the right side of the arena.
Braun Strowman (Frozen_Flame) is a female soldier ant woman. She wields a copper short sword, a copper short sword, and a copper short sword and wears an iron helm, a copper mail shirt, a copper mail shirt, iron leggings, and iron gauntlets.
Baldwin (captaindirtnap) is a male dwarf. He wields an iron spear and a wooden shield and wears an iron helm, an iron mail shirt, and iron gauntlets.
Qwarf (C7ty1) is a male dwarf. He wields an iron spear and a wooden shield and wears an iron helm, an iron breast plate, iron greaves, and iron gauntlets.
Dusseldwarf (decoy badger) is a female dwarf. She wields an iron spear and a wooden shield and wears a copper mail shirt, a copper mail shirt, iron gauntlets, and iron low boots.

Subterranean Animists is a 7.21 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 9179.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 1273.00 dwarfbucks for This Bites.

The gladiators clash, and like all good Antwomen, Braun Strowman immediately loses a hand to Knife Toseeu. Luckily it's not the spearhand.

Dusseldorf charged with his spear held like a lance, and Sun Tzulander impaled himself. A nerve has been severed and the spear is stuck in the gaping wound. Sun Tzulander does the unthinkable: He breaks the laws of physics.

Sun Tzulander_BITES punches Dusseldorf_ANIM in the left hand, but the attack passes right through!

Sun Tzulander grabs Dusseldorf from the floor, then collapses his hip with a gruesome wrestling move. Roland Gorchnik lashes the helpless dwarf in the chest, ribs are smashed into his lungs. Dusseldorf passes out from pain.

Baldwin makes his first appearance in the fight by spearing Eyeteeth's chest. The werewolf can't seem to get a breath since his lungs are filling up with blood.

Braun Strowman and Knife Toseeu parry and dodge each others blows, neither gaining an advantage despite the missing hand on the antbroad.

Baldwin has a thing for spearing chests. He yanks his spear from Eyeteeth and plants it deep in Sun Tzulanders chest. That's not sanitary. Can elves catch werewolfism via blood? Baldwin doesn't seem to think of these things, and instead puts his spear into the elf's leg which collapses under him. Sun Tzulander blacks out.

Hey Qwarf, what up buddy? Long time no see. Actually, you just didn't do dick until now. Qwarf spears Eyeteeths hand, and the crack of bone is the last thing Eyeteeth remembers before he is overcome with pain.

We've got 3 unconscious gladiators. The team that finishes them and doesn't struggle for an hour will likely be the team that wins the match.

Roland took two or three strikes, but he splits Dusseldorfs head like a melon. Knife Toseeu is in a 2v1 against Braun and Baldwin. But the strangler don't even care... he sends Baldwin to the floor with a chopped up foot and returns his attention to Braun.

Qwarfs next blow puts Eyeteeth down for good.

And then disaster strikes for the home team. Baldwin rears up and somehow bites the stranglers face. He whips his hair back and forth and Knife Toseeu passes out from pain. A few blows later and Braun gets his sword stuck in the stranglers skull.

Baldwin, still grounded and spitting out strangler hair, plants his spear in Sun Tzulanders head which ends his life.

And then it's a 2v1 since Baldwin isn't very mobile. He doesn't need to be, since Qwarf stabs Roland clean through the back. Liver and ribs are skewered and shattered. Roland passes out. Qwarf finishes what he started with his next swing.

Subterranean Animists live up to their betting backers with a 4-1 victory.

Kills:
Roland Gorchnik: 1

Qwarf: 2
Braun Strowman: 1
Baldwin: 1

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 12, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I timed myself on that one. 35 minutes with one interruption for a couple minutes.

I thought I was faster than that. :(

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I stand undefeated at being the worst, at least I made money off this round.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
That bit.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Dusseldorf charged with his spear held like a lance, and Sun Tzulander impaled himself. A nerve has been severed and the spear is stuck in the gaping wound. Sun Tzulander does the unthinkable: He breaks the laws of physics.

Sun Tzulander_BITES punches Dusseldorf_ANIM in the left hand, but the attack passes right through!

Sun Tzulander grabs Dusseldorf from the floor, then collapses her hip with a gruesome wrestling move. Roland Gorchnik lashes the helpless dwarf in the chest, ribs are smashed into his lungs. Dusseldorf passes out from pain.

Incredible. I am not even going to look at the log and just make gross assumptions as to the nature of this gruesome hip-collapsing wrestling move:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
lmao

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
:allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm yet to regret being in the same team as you, Ramc. :allears:

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Not only did the lovely Dwarf Braun get a kill, but that artistry has made my night.

Also I demand new arenas, clearly these ones are possessed by ghosts that turn random body parts ethereal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
This would've been a good time to have that glowing blue shirt.