Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

quote:

BJ-3 is a 3xLPL peeker. Stick all your LPL on one side and go to town.
This is lame and boring. :colbert:

You should instead put 2 PPCs on one side and abuse the poo poo out of high mounts and JJs. 20% range and -30% heat on PPCs is the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zernach posted:

This is lame and boring. :colbert:

You should instead put 2 PPCs on one side and abuse the poo poo out of high mounts and JJs. 20% range and -30% heat on PPCs is the poo poo.

The most important PPC quirk is velocity, fortunately the PPC BJ has a 40% projectile velocity boost, which is a very nice thing.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
Man, now that I've elited my other two Timberwolves I kinda wish there was a function to save multiple set-ups for a mech, so you could just swap between loadouts with one button between matches. This is less a thing for IS mechs I guess, but holy poo poo would it make life easier with omnimechs. I just ended up taking screenshots of all my timberwolf builds so I can remember the omnipod/armor distribution and poo poo when I want to swap between splatcat/pulsewolf set-ups. Or quad LRM-wolf because :lol:

Speaking of quad LRM's, is the quad LRM15 Ebon Jaguar actually a thing, like in the community at large? I've seen more of them than I'd like; and they NEVER have backup weapons or TAG. Ever.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
We rolled with a primarily GIRL group last night and despite minimal yellbossing only lost one match in 2-3 hours. I'm not counting the losses against the lord and EmP players, some of whom are apparently very sensitive to being referred to as ~~~TEAM HELIOS~~~. But hey, if you don't want to be relentlessly mocked for aimobotting maybe don't run in a unit with blatant aimbotters. :shrug:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Vorenus posted:

We rolled with a primarily GIRL group last night and despite minimal yellbossing only lost one match in 2-3 hours. I'm not counting the losses against the lord and EmP players, some of whom are apparently very sensitive to being referred to as ~~~TEAM HELIOS~~~. But hey, if you don't want to be relentlessly mocked for aimobotting maybe don't run in a unit with blatant aimbotters. :shrug:

How do you know they're aimbotting?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's pretty obvious when you get cored instantly despite good twisting, or a 99% condition headshot.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It is known.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Alright, now I have too many lights and mediums and my only heavy is a crappy CTF-4x. I assume if I want to do CW, I should have at least one good heavy even if I prefer to just go fast most of the time, what are the better IS heavies right now? I see a lot of Jagermechs, which look like they do well as long range ballistic platforms, and the thunderbolt looks pretty good and tanky. I take it from the above posts the Quickdraw might be good too assuming it doesn't get focused or see any quirk nerfs. Maybe I should just wait for the Marauder?

I picked up the HBK-4G last night and ran through most of the basic skills thanks to a lot of dumb lights who thought it was a good idea to stop anywhere within 400 meters of the front of that mech. AC/20 is a very satisfying way to get kills.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 12, 2016

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I'm assuming something like this is the default Shadow Cat build?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=298&l=553394ab5b795a670232b9e419c2ef09fd753d59

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Bolow posted:

I'm assuming something like this is the default Shadow Cat build?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=298&l=553394ab5b795a670232b9e419c2ef09fd753d59

I drop the lasers down to SPL or even ER Smalls for more ammo. 400 rounds goes fast with 3 SRM6s, and they are your primary damage dealers.

SHC-B

Sometimes I still run out of ammo.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

So I grabbed a Firestarter-S, what's the way to build it? I was thinking something like this.

But I don't really have a clue.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Axetrain posted:

So I grabbed a Firestarter-S, what's the way to build it? I was thinking something like this.

Eew, no. AMS is a trap on lights. Radar Dep and before then just plain hiding behind cover are your friends against LRMs. And that's way too slow. Other lights will eat you alive in a mech that should give them pause (pulse lasers are great for legging things).

FS9-S

That's the engine you'll use for all Firestarters and a few other lights, so it's not an awful investment even if it is somewhat painful.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 12, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
YOu need way more engine and also less AMS, you're going to get wrecked into that.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

ImpactVector posted:

Eew, no. AMS is a trap on lights. Radar Dep and before then just plain hiding behind cover are your friends against LRMs. And that's way too slow. Other lights will eat you alive in a mech that should give them pause (pulse lasers are great for legging things).

FS9-A

That's the engine you'll use for all Firestarters and a few other lights, so it's not an awful investment even if it is somewhat painful.

I'll go with this then, I still even have 42k left!

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Axetrain posted:

oh god, max armor in the arms and legs. never shave leg armor on lights.

XL295 engine. 5 medium pulses, one jumpjet

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't normally play mechs with Jump Jets (or lights in general, for that matter). How many JJs should I be bringing for them to be effective? Specifically on a Jenner IIc, which I've been dicking around with for fun. I feel like I might be able to strip some of those jump jets for extra ammo/armor/whatever.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

I don't normally play mechs with Jump Jets (or lights in general, for that matter). How many JJs should I be bringing for them to be effective? Specifically on a Jenner IIc, which I've been dicking around with for fun. I feel like I might be able to strip some of those jump jets for extra ammo/armor/whatever.

i run the IIc's with at least single jumpjet, two if i end up with an extra half ton.

Ive also found it favorable to go with an xl295 rather than the 315 they come with

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Finally getting back into the groove of driving lights. I did A Bad last night during a conquest match though. Last mech alive on my team and instead of bailing on a zombie Crab and trying to grab another resource zone, I kept harvesting butt meat to get an extra kill. Odds are that prooooobably cost my team victory by 20 points.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, I already downgraded it to an XL295 (and man did it suck to give up 4 million cbills for an engine!), slapped on a bunch of SRM launchers and some ammo. I just wasn't sure how jump jets scaled. I'll try stripping all but one and see how I like it, and up it to two if I need more boost.

I've honestly just been using the jump jets to aid in hill climbing most of the time so far, so I can hit from weird angles and try and disappear into the sunset.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Axetrain posted:

Build this instead:

Green Wubstarter (FS9-S)

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Axetrain posted:

I'll go with this then, I still even have 42k left!
Crud, I meant -S. The -A is also a really good robot if you bought it, but it uses 8xSPL but is otherwise basically the same robot.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Goons ruin everything

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was in those matches with him and I was convinced personally that there are at least one or two cheqters in the game.

I was rolling Gauss on my SCat and doing my obscure gimmick poo poo on River City. After spotting people more than 1200m away and plinking at them with the Gauss, one person I hit in particular was boating Medium Lasers. The guy snapped his vision directly onto me (I was on a random rooftop more than a kilometer away) and alpha'd with his mediums directly at me, even though I was well out of his range. After he fired his lasers, he immediately twisted his torso and ran out of my aight.

A similar thing happened with a Daishi on their team in another game on Viridian Bog.

I have never seen anyone spot me that quickly before in any match when I do my River City gimmicks.

I am convinced that they have at least one or two aimbots on their team.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

ImpactVector posted:

Crud, I meant -S. The -A is also a really good robot if you bought it, but it uses 8xSPL but is otherwise basically the same robot.

Nah I got the -S, I just played a handful of pub games in it and it seems pretty solid. I just stick to shooting people when they aren't paying attention and then running away. I wanted at least one class of every mech, I mostly want to stick to mediums and heavies for now.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 12, 2016

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Is there any repository of mech loadouts that are decent that I can work off while I re-figure out the game?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Love Stole the Day posted:

I was in those matches with him and I was convinced personally that there are at least one or two cheqters in the game.

I was rolling Gauss on my SCat and doing my obscure gimmick poo poo on River City. After spotting people more than 1200m away and plinking at them with the Gauss, one person I hit in particular was boating Medium Lasers. The guy snapped his vision directly onto me (I was on a random rooftop more than a kilometer away) and alpha'd with his mediums directly at me, even though I was well out of his range. After he fired his lasers, he immediately twisted his torso and ran out of my aight.

A similar thing happened with a Daishi on their team in another game on Viridian Bog.

I have never seen anyone spot me that quickly before in any match when I do my River City gimmicks.

I am convinced that they have at least one or two aimbots on their team.

This more or less sums up how to spot them, yeah. They'll have ridiculous target acquisition speed even outside of targeting range (and against ECM units), and will send an Alpha directly into you with unnatural accuracy.

There's been times where I've peaked around the corner of a building on River City - not to exchange fire with someone who knows I'm there, mind, but simply just to see if there's any enemies moving around in the distance well before any kind of engagement has even started - only to eat several Alphas within a second of my cockpit clearing the building corner.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Axetrain posted:

Nah I got the -S, I just played a handful of pub games in it and it seems pretty solid. I just stick to shooting people when they aren't paying attention and then running away.
Ah, good. And yeah, that's basically the play style. Just practice shooting the butt. That's almost always a CT hitbox, and most pilots twist their back away from you a lot faster than they can get their legs rotated.

Tindahbawx posted:

Is there any repository of mech loadouts that are decent that I can work off while I re-figure out the game?
metamechs.com isn't bad, though it's a little outdated in spots. I've been using their mastery guides for general direction for when I have no idea where to start. This thread is a good place to ask specific questions though.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Oh Snapple! posted:

This more or less sums up how to spot them, yeah. They'll have ridiculous target acquisition speed even outside of targeting range (and against ECM units), and will send an Alpha directly into you with unnatural accuracy.

this. when the lasers are sitting directly below the center of your cockpit regardless of how you twist, they're using helios.

here's a good refresher
https://youtu.be/imc_hGMXG1g?t=25m30s

it become easier to spot the further you're out of range

teepo fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 12, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Guys, they banned everyone who was cheating and now no one cheats because :pgi: caught them all and if you try they'll catch you instantly.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
It'd be funny if everyone using cheats has a big red DISHONORABLE sign over their head that shows through walls and remains even if they're dead or out of range.

Hey, the MechWarrior games did it, may as well stay true to game canon. :iamafag:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Pooncha posted:

It'd be funny if everyone using cheats has a big red DISHONORABLE sign over their head that shows through walls and remains even if they're dead or out of range.

Hey, the MechWarrior games did it, may as well stay true to game canon. :iamafag:

Always makes you lockable to LRM, player literally relegated to camping inside tunnels at all times.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
I like the cut of your jib.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/686997826677571584

shadowcat just got buffed D:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

teepo posted:

shadowcat just got buffed D:

:D

Pooncha posted:

I support this. +1

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

teepo posted:

this. when the lasers are sitting directly below the center of your cockpit regardless of how you twist, they're using helios.

here's a good refresher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imc_hGMXG1g

it become easier to spot the further you're out of range

While i think it is good the video exists, you couldn't of found a worse (better?) MWONERD.avi dude to do it.

Fast forward to 4:00 to avoid the opening ramblings. Also "hey I'm making a video, lemme just light up this cig casually in the middle of it"

Jump to 19:30 if you want to see how it looks ingame.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 12, 2016

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Give me a BJ-1X build goons

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Welcome to Maximum Laser
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=79&l=aef58e3eb8b56f6a2d1476d103a030309d3a6902

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Willfrey posted:

While i think it is good the video exists, you couldn't of found a worse (better?) MWONERD.avi dude to do it.

Fast forward to 4:00 to avoid the opening ramblings. Also "hey I'm making a video, lemme just light up this cig casually in the middle of it"

i have a lot of respect for soy. i've been dropping with that guy in the pubbie queue since the very start and he's a hell of a pilot

but yea... i forgot to put the timestamp so it would start at the point where he tested helios on alpine from 1km out. that has been fixed

https://youtu.be/imc_hGMXG1g?t=25m30s

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Ok this was what I was thinking and the first one I built uses a std 200 to go 71kph instead of the xl.

Also, yeah Soy is a bit ridiculous but I have been dropping with him since CB so at least he knows what he is talking about even though he may have a sad brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I had the presence of mind to record my second experience on Viridian Bog against the eMp and Lord stack last night while playing with the GIRL folks.

I made a video clip of what I think is maybe a little suspect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmOopXtMklo

It's not conclusive imo, but it's pretty weird to suddenly have their full attention like that despite ECM and Gauss. Maybe I just need to get on their level.

• Locked thread