Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013

Fish Fry Andy posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/AnimeLord/

Pimping my profile for a group invite.

If anyone wants a free, massively over-leveled pawn come release feel free to shoot me a friend request. :)

Sent you an invite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Just to persuade anyone who is on the fence. I've preordered the game as well as downloaded the leak. It runs perfectly well. Looks good when you tweak the graphics and use reshade.

Mazzletoff
Dec 17, 2012

wake me up
before you jojo
http://steamcommunity.com/id/mazzletoff

Invite me, I'll have a level 40+ pawn on launch. He will tank for you and use a HUGE SWORD.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Now I can't decide if I want to make a tank pawn or a Sorcerer pawn like I did last time.

I might do tank. That said, I'm not sure how best to "teach" my pawn by example in this case. Does it only apply if you and your pawn are the same vocation, or will a Fighter pawn learn from behaviors you do when you're a Mystic Knight?

(My only reservation is that I'd hate to have to compete with my pawn for heavy armor and swords that I get from Bitterblack gear. Hm.)

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
How many "save files" do you get? I'd like to try out different builds with different characters, but it appears that (at least for the PS3 version) you only get one save file, and thus one character/pawn.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Electric Lady posted:

How many "save files" do you get? I'd like to try out different builds with different characters, but it appears that (at least for the PS3 version) you only get one save file, and thus one character/pawn.

Only one. Though you could probably manually swap them out. Hell. once the actual release comes out, I might just dick around and make a windows application to manage saves. But the Game only allows for one save because the Pawn system is only set up to allow someone to have one pawn uploaded.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I recently learned that you can stack conqueror's priapt or whatever up to 4 times. Oh god that feeling you get when you kill a cursed dragon in less than 40 seconds is divine.

Didn't do much to help against 3 garm + 2 gorecyclops + evil pawns casting maelstrom. Is there any strategy for separating the garm from eachother?

I am so loving glad that I kept Fournival alive, I would be lost without his infinite supply.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Pierson posted:

When you start the game there's some DLC items in your item chest (these ones). All of them drop within the game and at merchants regularly. The Ruminator's Monocle is entirely cosmetic and sells for 300,000g which will take care of your money worries in the early game.

I dont even remember seeing a chest in your house at Cassardis at the beginning of the game for DLC items when I played it on the PS3. Is it in Gran Soren or something?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

FutonForensic posted:

Woods can be "deep," as in expansive, but it could equally be an error like you said

or

OR

they're referring to the chimera's rear end in a top hat, because you're about to get deep in that poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuRWPiQ1bns

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 12, 2016

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I have a ps4. What would be involved in getting my ps4 controller to work with my PC and thus DD?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Saxophone posted:

I have a ps4. What would be involved in getting my ps4 controller to work with my PC and thus DD?

A bluetooth radio and/or usb cable plus this. Note that most games will freak out if you don't use the "hide ps4 controller" option, which used to be hard to get working but after a recent windows 10 patch now seems to work flawlessly.

So I saw this was getting close to release and bought it. I didn't play the DLC when it was on PS4, what was the goon consensus on it?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
You don't actually need Ds4 or any tools Dragon's dogma picks up the PS4 controller as a valid controller(at least through USB which I use).

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Mazzletoff posted:

The original map Itsuno drew up for Dragon's Dogma.

What hte hell, were you supposed to go to the moon at some point?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Dexo posted:

You don't actually need Ds4 or any tools Dragon's dogma picks up the PS4 controller as a valid controller(at least through USB which I use).
Oh neat. I wish more games would do that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

dyzzy posted:

A bluetooth radio and/or usb cable plus this. Note that most games will freak out if you don't use the "hide ps4 controller" option, which used to be hard to get working but after a recent windows 10 patch now seems to work flawlessly.

So I saw this was getting close to release and bought it. I didn't play the DLC when it was on PS4, what was the goon consensus on it?

The DLC is really good if you like dungeon crawling, because it's pretty much pure dungeon crawling (assuming you're talking about Dark Arisen). But it's fun as hell and has very cool bosses. Tells kind of a cool story about another possible fate for Arisen, too.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah whoops. Just looked it up and saw there was a ton of other DLC offered as well. Sounds like there'll be plenty of new things to explore then!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The Dark Arisen content is fantastic and feels very different from the rest of the game. A lot tougher, darker, and more tense in a way that sorta reminds me of Dark Souls. It also has a stronger focus on loot, giving you some cool endgame gear to work towards. I think the story stuff is complete trash though, which is a shame because I like where the original DD eventually goes with its ridiculous plot.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

FutonForensic posted:

Woods can be "deep," as in expansive, but it could equally be an error like you said

or

OR

they're referring to the chimera's rear end in a top hat, because you're about to get deep in that poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glTOPkITos0

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vargs posted:

The Dark Arisen content is fantastic and feels very different from the rest of the game. A lot tougher, darker, and more tense in a way that sorta reminds me of Dark Souls. It also has a stronger focus on loot, giving you some cool endgame gear to work towards. I think the story stuff is complete trash though, which is a shame because I like where the original DD eventually goes with its ridiculous plot.

I like the story stuff in Dark Arisen largely because of its contrast with the core Dragon's Dogma story. It's a really personal and understated story, rather than a big story about questing to slay a dragon and then things getting a whole lot more complicated.

I think my only real issue with Dark Arisen is the way Bitterblack Gear works. I already kind of hated the random loot in Everfall, where chests had random contents and players were incentivized to constantly save-scum for the loot they were looking for. Bitterblack Gear adds another level of RNG to it--not only is it not guaranteed that you're going to get Bitterblack Gear when you open a chest that can include it, you also then have to go identify it, where it might well be something you already have, or something useless to you. I know there are ways to nudge the RNG a bit (make the Arisen and main pawn the same pure vocation to limit what the gear can identify to, identify gear in different orders to end up elsewhere on the RNG table, etc.), I still kind of hate it and it seems like way more trouble than loot in a single-player game should be.

I'm still gonna put up with it (again) because I'm a complete sucker for cool-looking weapons and armor, of course.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

dreffen posted:

I dont even remember seeing a chest in your house at Cassardis at the beginning of the game for DLC items when I played it on the PS3. Is it in Gran Soren or something?

It's all dumped in your storage which you can access at an inn.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I don't know what kind of pawn mine will be yet, but it'll probably be a huge retard that will yell at you. Let's be friends! http://steamcommunity.com/id/walruspete

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

Harrow posted:

I like the story stuff in Dark Arisen largely because of its contrast with the core Dragon's Dogma story. It's a really personal and understated story, rather than a big story about questing to slay a dragon and then things getting a whole lot more complicated.

I think my only real issue with Dark Arisen is the way Bitterblack Gear works. I already kind of hated the random loot in Everfall, where chests had random contents and players were incentivized to constantly save-scum for the loot they were looking for. Bitterblack Gear adds another level of RNG to it--not only is it not guaranteed that you're going to get Bitterblack Gear when you open a chest that can include it, you also then have to go identify it, where it might well be something you already have, or something useless to you. I know there are ways to nudge the RNG a bit (make the Arisen and main pawn the same pure vocation to limit what the gear can identify to, identify gear in different orders to end up elsewhere on the RNG table, etc.), I still kind of hate it and it seems like way more trouble than loot in a single-player game should be.

I'm still gonna put up with it (again) because I'm a complete sucker for cool-looking weapons and armor, of course.

I'm stopping by Bitterblack to see if I can't luck across a few riftstones and turn my dumb Frisk pawn into a giant guy named JoJo B. Adventure, so this is a concern. Is the loot thing enough of a problem that I probably won't get the gear I want without savescumming?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Tossing out my ID for a group invite. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197997800243/

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I spent maybe an hour in BBI on the PS3 shortly after starting a NG+ and legitimately could not hurt anything despite being an Assassin and having been gifted what I think was the top tier BBI Assassin Bow.

I'm hoping that was a bug or something because I want to give it another shot on PC.

Also add me to your friend pawn whatever list. I'm probably gonna make a tanky old guy to complement the fact that I want to play a mage this time.
https://steamcommunity.com/id/sacrednym/

Mazzletoff
Dec 17, 2012

wake me up
before you jojo

Mister Bup posted:

I'm stopping by Bitterblack to see if I can't luck across a few riftstones and turn my dumb Frisk pawn into a giant guy named JoJo B. Adventure, so this is a concern. Is the loot thing enough of a problem that I probably won't get the gear I want without savescumming?

There's an easier way to do that. this is a link to a Cheat Engine Table that will let you use "Secret of Metamorphosis" (a NG+ setting to edit your pawn and Arisen at anytime) from the main menu by pressing Ctrl+Shift and enter on any menu item from the title screen.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I spent maybe an hour in BBI on the PS3 shortly after starting a NG+ and legitimately could not hurt anything despite being an Assassin and having been gifted what I think was the top tier BBI Assassin Bow.

I'm hoping that was a bug or something because I want to give it another shot on PC.

Also add me to your friend pawn whatever list. I'm probably gonna make a tanky old guy to complement the fact that I want to play a mage this time.
https://steamcommunity.com/id/sacrednym/

Yeah that would have to be a glitch. The enemies at the start of BBI are weak enough to be taken down by a fresh character.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mister Bup posted:

When it comes to Bitterblack Gear items, you don't really have to worry about that until you've progressed into Bitterblack Isle for a bit. But as I remember, I had to do a pretty hefty amount of savescumming and RNG manipulation to get about half of what I wanted before I got bored with the PS3 version. I'm sure there was a more efficient way to do it than I was doing it, but basically, if you want a full set of any specific Bitterblack armor, be ready to either play for hours and hours or just savescum a bunch.

Weapons aren't so bad, though it helps to be aware of how identification (purification, in DD) works. Basically, it's always going to pull an item that either your Arisen or your main pawn can use. So you can narrow the field of what you can get by making your Arisen and main pawn the same vocation when you purify. That helps a bunch. Luckily, the NPC who purifies items for you can also change your vocation, so it's pretty simple to make that happen every time. Involves a lot of re-equipping gear after changing back to your normal vocations, though.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Lookin for a group invite: http://steamcommunity.com/id/someonetookhitchhiker/

Pawn'll be wearin some sexy mansel lingere hopefully.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I guess what I meant there is obviously chests have randomized contents. Are there infinite chests (or at least enough that I'll eventually find everything I want) or is it possible/likely to completely loot Bitterblack and then your'e hosed?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What are "Must-have" moves for each class, if there's any?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Harrow posted:

Weapons aren't so bad, though it helps to be aware of how identification (purification, in DD) works. Basically, it's always going to pull an item that either your Arisen or your main pawn can use. So you can narrow the field of what you can get by making your Arisen and main pawn the same vocation when you purify. That helps a bunch. Luckily, the NPC who purifies items for you can also change your vocation, so it's pretty simple to make that happen every time. Involves a lot of re-equipping gear after changing back to your normal vocations, though.

More specifically, every weapon and armor falls into one of 3 categories - Red, Yellow, or Blue. This corresponds with the colors of each class. Mage/sorc are blue, fighter/warrior are red, strider/ranger are yellow, and the hybrid classes are two colors simultaneously (red and blue for mystic knight, for example). Bitterblack stuff you identify will only ever be a type of armor/weapon that fits your class color or the color of your main pawn. This doesn't necessarily mean that your class can use it though - a magick archer and a strider cannot use a longbow, but you may get a longbow since it is in the yellow pool of items, which your class belongs to.

Because of this, you can switch your main pawn's class and your own class to fighter or warrior, identify the item, and guarantee the red result. You can reset the game and try the same for the blue or yellow results by switching classes each time. This gives you some degree of control over what you're getting.

It's also worth noting that the items you get are seeded at the beginning of the game and you cannot change it. If the red result for the 6th lvl 3 Bitterblack weapon you identify is a Dread Aspis shield, you will get that shield every time you identify it as a red class, no matter how many times you reset the game, and even if you destroy the unidentified weapon and instead get another one.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tae posted:

What are "Must-have" moves for each class, if there's any?

Warrior: Arc of Deliverance
Fighter: Dragon's Maw
Everyone Else: lmao if you don't play warrior or fighter

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Mister Bup posted:

I guess what I meant there is obviously chests have randomized contents. Are there infinite chests (or at least enough that I'll eventually find everything I want) or is it possible/likely to completely loot Bitterblack and then your'e hosed?

I was reading the Wiki the other night (I have no actual experience with BBl), and it sounded like there were some areas in BBl where you could just re-enter a place and have it spawn a fresh set of enemies. So inexhaustible, I guess?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Speaking of must-have skills, the game doesn't explain how the charge-shot bow skills (Mighty/Full bend and Dire/Deathly Arrow) work, which is a shame because I think they're probably the most fun bow abilities (though Great Gamble and the cone/shotgun ones are a good time too).

If you just charge up the shot fully and then fire it whenever, you'll get an unimpressive attack that knocks back a bit and does slightly more than standard damage. What you're actually meant to do is let the arrow loose the moment it finishes charging and you hear the "whoosh" sound. It's pretty powerful if you get the timing right and punches right through high defense enemies that you can't otherwise scratch, but worthless if you shoot slightly before or after. The upgraded version of the skill gives you a second "whoosh" window which deals even more damage, though you can still fire within the first window if necessary.

I thought archery was the most boring way to play this game until I finally realized this. Using these skills properly gives archery an element of timing and pressure that makes it a lot more interesting.

Mister Bup posted:

The chests respawn eventually. IIRC you can also open a chest, kill yourself if it doesn't have the desired loot (godsbane is good for this), and check again for something different. Each chest has its own pool of equipment, though. So if you want l3 bitterblack weapons or armor, you're gonna have to do this at a few specific chests near the end of the dungeon.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 13, 2016

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Sindai posted:

Why would you think that? I thought Capcom has a pretty good track record with these super late PC ports. DMC4SE worked fine.

Nothing in specific, just been burned by a ton of pre orders. Is this steam works? Will the GMG code activate through steam?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the gmg code works on steam, that's how I did mine. Never had any problems with gmg

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mister Bup posted:

All chests in the games (and enemies and NPCs for that matter) respawn after 7 in-game days. Sometimes earlier in specific situations.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Nothing in specific, just been burned by a ton of pre orders. Is this steam works? Will the GMG code activate through steam?

Seconding GMG as reliable.

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?
Just a note from someone who has beaten this game - people are blowing the random loot / savescumming thing way out of proportion. You can run the dungeon as many times as you want. Sure, you can savescum to get the loot you want, or you can just go dick around killing monsters, come back after a while, and do it all over again. The combat in this game is fun as hell, it really isn't a chore to do this stuff.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

If you're actually trying to get the best equipment in the game, I think it would be pretty crazy not to do this stuff. Didn't get a l3 item out of the chest at the end? Guess I'll go do the entire dlc all over again for another shot at it which isn't guaranteed to be successful either, rather than spending a couple minutes godsbaning myself.

Sure do want that heavy armor set for my mystic knight, too bad I got the mage stuff instead. Rather than reloading the game and swapping classes to fighter/fighter to make sure I get what I'm looking for, I'll spend hours and hours trying to get another unidentified armor piece which might end up being mage gear again.

The chances of getting what you're looking for are just too low without cheesing it a bit. Spending a tiny bit of time manipulating your drops gets you a nice loop of restart dungeon->complete dungeon->pick up something worthwhile almost every time.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

or just use cheat engine