Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I feel like I'm the only person who liked Season 1 better than Season 2. I was loving Season 2 but it just took a dive at International Assassin (yes I know a ton of people love that episode). It's a quality episode but it just took the show in a much different direction. One of my favorite things about the show was that it was always grounded in some reality. It was a somewhat realistic portrayal of how the world would react to this crazy event. The end of Season 2 seemed to move toward a supernatural path.

I also felt like they shoehorned in popular characters from Season 1 because fans liked them. Ghost Patti never really fit in for me and seemed like the writers regretted killing off a great character. Liv Tyler magically turning into some all-powerful leader in a year that just so happens to end up pulling a huge stunt in the exact same town the Garveys reside in seemed silly. Just feel like it would have been better bring in a new cult to handle the stuff in Miracle and keep the GR stuff to a couple episodes up in Mapleton.

Don't want to sound too down on the show since it's one of my favorites on TV. The first two-thirds of the season were amazing and I think crashed at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Niwrad posted:

I also felt like they shoehorned in popular characters from Season 1 because fans liked them. Ghost Patti never really fit in for me and seemed like the writers regretted killing off a great character. Liv Tyler magically turning into some all-powerful leader in a year that just so happens to end up pulling a huge stunt in the exact same town the Garveys reside in seemed silly. Just feel like it would have been better bring in a new cult to handle the stuff in Miracle and keep the GR stuff to a couple episodes up in Mapleton.

I understand not preferring the less ambiguously supernatural events of season 2, but I dunno about these two complaints. I think Ghost Patti was planned from season one, since there's that whole dream sequence where she says something about sharing Kevin's head now (I don't remember her exact words). And it makes perfect sense for Meg and the Garveys to end up at that town in particular since it wasn't just another town, it was a huge symbol in the post-Departure world. Nora wanted to move there because it felt safe, Matt wanted to move there because it seemed special, Meg attacked the town because she wanted to take away its safe and special status.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 9, 2016

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Finishing the Leftovers binge watch I somehow watched season 2's episode 10 instead of 9 and did not even notice it. On another show Meg and Tommy being at the camp would be a red flag I missed something but here it was no big deal.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Niwrad posted:

One of my favorite things about the show was that it was always grounded in some reality. It was a somewhat realistic portrayal of how the world would react to this crazy event. The end of Season 2 seemed to move toward a supernatural path.

It might be supernatural. It might be coincidence. I feel like the entire point of this season was that you can never know if something peculiar or improbable is a message or an act of divine intervention from some greater power. The departure was an event that made everyone question how much they really understand about their world, it opens the door for people to think that someone who regularly sacrifices goats isn't just crazy, maybe he KNOWS something.

Kevin jumps into the Jarden river, and seconds later there's an earthquake which opens a crack in the ground and drains the river just in time to save him. Yes, it looks like an act of God. Many people in that universe who heard Kevin tell that story would say it's a miracle, even more people would call him a liar. But Jarden is a town where earthquakes happen, and not just because of fracking, they've been happening there literally since people were living in caves. It's entirely possible that this is just a freak coincidence. It's not likely, but the possibility exists. I know that the deck seems stacked for the "supernatural" this season, but I really feel like they left it ambiguous for a reason.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

I know that the deck seems stacked for the "supernatural" this season, but I really feel like they left it ambiguous for a reason.

There are a few parts that seemed to be unambiguously supernatural. The bird surviving for three days buried in the box, for example.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

That and, uh, 2% of the world's population disappeared instantly.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Yeah but the context here is Niwrad saying that season 2 took a much more supernatural direction.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

The music of the Leftovers is so good it's making me choke up with emotion to the loving Star Wars prequels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN74bOubUug

:staredog:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

There are a few parts that seemed to be unambiguously supernatural. The bird surviving for three days buried in the box, for example.

If it was the same bird. Virgil had plenty to spare, knew that Erica was doing something with birds (In Lens, he asks her if she wants to take one with her when she leaves), and it was Erica's grandmother who told her the story about burying birds and digging them up after 3 days so Virgil probably knew it too. Personally, I think that's a little bit of a stretch, and since he's dead I don't think they're planning on revealing any hidden information about where the bird came from. But there are other possible explanations besides it coming back from the hotel after 3 days.

That, I would say, is unambiguously supernatural. In the sense that it is beyond the understanding of the characters in this universe. But that doesn't necessarily mean it was magic or God that did it, it might just be caused by something they literally don't understand yet. Like the woman whose cave collapsed, to her being cut off from her tribe by an earthquake moments after she got up was supernatural.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

What Lindelof has said about the departure is that 2% of the world's population disappeared, and that when he's doing the show he tries to make it about 98% real and 2% supernatural.

He also says every thing that happened in season 2 also has a non-supernatural explanation but even if there is some sort of elaborate possible explanation for some stuff I think it's pretty bullshit to pretend the show hasn't gone supernatural. I mean, Kevin should have died like 3 times.

Basically though I think the original idea was that, yeah, the departure was a big unexplained event, and the audience kind of has to just accept that it happened as it's the premise of the show, but that things are pretty on-the-level going forward.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It might be supernatural. It might be coincidence. I feel like the entire point of this season was that you can never know if something peculiar or improbable is a message or an act of divine intervention from some greater power. The departure was an event that made everyone question how much they really understand about their world, it opens the door for people to think that someone who regularly sacrifices goats isn't just crazy, maybe he KNOWS something.

Kevin jumps into the Jarden river, and seconds later there's an earthquake which opens a crack in the ground and drains the river just in time to save him. Yes, it looks like an act of God. Many people in that universe who heard Kevin tell that story would say it's a miracle, even more people would call him a liar. But Jarden is a town where earthquakes happen, and not just because of fracking, they've been happening there literally since people were living in caves. It's entirely possible that this is just a freak coincidence. It's not likely, but the possibility exists. I know that the deck seems stacked for the "supernatural" this season, but I really feel like they left it ambiguous for a reason.

I agree on the earthquakes but him crawling out from a shallow grave seems a bit supernatural to me. Or him getting shot in the gut and losing a ton of blood but being healthy enough to walk home. I loved the fact that everything up to that point had a non-supernatural explanation that you could use but these did not.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Niwrad posted:

I agree on the earthquakes but him crawling out from a shallow grave seems a bit supernatural to me. Or him getting shot in the gut and losing a ton of blood but being healthy enough to walk home. I loved the fact that everything up to that point had a non-supernatural explanation that you could use but these did not.

Fireman neighbour also seems pretty convinced he took a fatal shot when he finds Kevin later.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
If you're absolutely convinced that Kevin should have died, that's completely understandable. John definitely thinks that Kevin should have died. But, sometimes people survive totally improbable odds. It DOES happen. It is extremely unlikely that Kevin would be able to go through all of that survive, and it would be an uncanny coincidence that a bullet would happen to pass straight through him without hitting any arteries or organs and that he'd be able to hang on just long enough for John to find him and patch him up.

But, uncanny coincidences happen sometimes.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
How long was he buried for, wasn't it like 8 hours? I can't think of any possible non supernatural explanation for that one

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The Murphys are just supernaturally bad at causing the death of others.
-Dad shoots grandpa, he lives
-Dad shoots Kevin, he lives
-Grandpa poisons Kevin and son buries him, he lives
-Mom buries birds, they live
-Daughter watches Kevin attempt suicide, he lives

One other thing that stood out was palmprint guy who knew what Meg's mother said before she died. There is really no way for him to know that, all the stuff Ghost Patti said could be things Kevin had heard from Laurie who did not let doctor-patient confidentiality stand in the way of a good "you'll never believe the crazy poo poo I heard today" story.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I agree but

quote:

Lindelof: I'd be very curious to wonder what you think those areas of an out-and-out, absolute 100 percent, "We're in a magical realm now" are. I could probably case by case go, talk about the discussions we had in the writers room about how some of those things could have happened: how Kevin could have survived getting shot by John Murphy. As opposed to what didn't happen in the room, "Well, you can't kill Kevin Garvey now, because he's the third coming of Jesus Christ." That didn't happen. One person's magical thinking is another person's cynicism. There are some people, yourself included, who believe that Isaac's ability to determine that Meg's mom had walnuts in her final meal is proof of the supernatural, and I am here to tell you I strongly disagree. That isn't to say that Isaac isn't legit. The writers room has made a clear determination on that as well. But that's like saying David Copperfield can walk through the Great Wall of China because we all saw it happen. It's a really good trick.
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/damon-lindelof-on-the-leftovers-im-fighting-for-the-life-of-the-show#HruWBOrQZFyGcFJY.99
Seems like some viewers and the showrunners alike really enjoy the concept of having things that seem supernatural, but maybe they aren't?

From my own position I just look at things like, say, Wayne, and go "oh he's probably a fraud" or Isaac and say "hm, seems legit" but I don't really know in either case. And that makes sense, since when you're talking about the supernatural or things that claim to be supernatural it's right to be skeptical, and there shouldn't be someone there to put a hand on your shoulder or something and go "yes, that was magic." Because part of our lives and perceived experiences with spirituality or magic or things like that is that they're unconfirmed, whether you want to believe or not, there's not someone there to give you the actual real and final answer. In that way I appreciate the alleged ambiguity.

In other ways I just feel like they're playing a game sometimes where something like Kevin not dying happens, and I'm convinced it's supernatural, but I get the feeling that the staff in the writing room is sitting there going, "Okay this event here is supernatural, and it's happening because Kevin is a shaman with the ability to travel between life and death, but we need to write it in a way that there's plausible deniability that it's supernatural." That just seems like a forced and fake ambiguity, a type of covering their bases for the sake of it.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 12, 2016

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

savinhill posted:

How long was he buried for, wasn't it like 8 hours? I can't think of any possible non supernatural explanation for that one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelo_Hays

Crazy poo poo happens sometimes.

CeeJee posted:

One other thing that stood out was palmprint guy who knew what Meg's mother said before she died. There is really no way for him to know that, all the stuff Ghost Patti said could be things Kevin had heard from Laurie who did not let doctor-patient confidentiality stand in the way of a good "you'll never believe the crazy poo poo I heard today" story.

You're right, Isaac knowing that Meg's mom asked for her salad to be taken back because of the Walnuts does seem supernatural. Until you start reading up on hot reading techniques. Meg's mother was clearly a wealthy woman, maybe she was influential enough in the Mapleton community to have an article about her death in the paper where they interview the waiter who last spoke to her. Or maybe Meg's fiance gave Isaac the information because he'd seen her go to psychic after psychic looking for answers and just wanted to provide her some comfort, even if it was false. There are people who do poo poo like this in real life all the time, in this day and age it really isn't that hard to gather information about someone prior to meeting them.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

From my own position I just look at things like, say, Wayne, and go "oh he's probably a fraud" or Isaac and say "hm, seems legit" but I don't really know in either case. And that makes sense, since when you're talking about the supernatural or things that claim to be supernatural it's right to be skeptical, and there shouldn't be someone there to put a hand on your shoulder or something and go "yes, that was magic." Because part of our lives and perceived experiences with spirituality or magic or things like that is that they're unconfirmed, whether you want to believe or not, there's not someone there to give you the actual real and final answer. In that way I appreciate the alleged ambiguity.

In other ways I just feel like they're playing a game sometimes where something that I think "yeah that's supernatural" happens but the staff in the writing room is sitting there going "okay this event here is supernatural, but we need to write in a way that there's plausible deniability that it's supernatural" because then it just seems like a forced and fake ambiguity, a type of covering their bases for the sake of it.

They very well maybe doing that, but we're never going to find out whether that crazy, possibly supernatural stuff is supernatural or not. Because the show we're watching isn't one in which Kevin gets to go to heaven and have all his questions answered by the great creator.

In this show, when Kevin dies, his vision of the afterlife could very well be a journey into his own unconscious. He might be drowning ghost Patti in the magical Axis Mundi well because she's scared of what's next and needs his help. Or, his mind might just need a little Campbellian ritual to help shock his system into a functional state again, to help him reconcile the fact that part of him agrees with what Patti is saying and to mourn this person who ended up having a profound effect on the way he views the world. I really don't think one of these explanations makes more sense than the other, I don't think Kevin really cares which explanation is true. He doesn't understand what happened, he just knows that it worked.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
There are a handful of people who have survived free falls of over 10,000 feet, with one of them walking away with only a limp. Some people have survived two ridiculous odds at once.

Betty Lou Oliver survived getting severely burned by a plane that hit the empire state building, and then survived the elevator she was in plunging 75 stories:
http://survivor-story.com/betty-lou-oliver-survived-two-major-accidents-day/

And Juliane Koepcke survived a 10,000 feet fall, and then 10 days alone in the jungle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliane_Koepcke

This doesn't mean its not supernatural. The writers have said that they have definitely picked one and write to that. But they also said that they spent a lot of time making sure that things are possible, even if improbable.

I wouldn't be surprised if next season is them walking back some of the seemingly more supernatural aspects of it, with Kevin spending a long time recuperating at a hospital, etc.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

joepinetree posted:

There are a handful of people who have survived free falls of over 10,000 feet, with one of them walking away with only a limp. Some people have survived two ridiculous odds at once.

Betty Lou Oliver survived getting severely burned by a plane that hit the empire state building, and then survived the elevator she was in plunging 75 stories:
http://survivor-story.com/betty-lou-oliver-survived-two-major-accidents-day/

And Juliane Koepcke survived a 10,000 feet fall, and then 10 days alone in the jungle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliane_Koepcke

This doesn't mean its not supernatural. The writers have said that they have definitely picked one and write to that. But they also said that they spent a lot of time making sure that things are possible, even if improbable.

Yeah, this is essentially what I was trying to get at. Something being extremely unlikely does not mean it is impossible. If a possible rational explanation exists, it then ceases to be unambiguously supernatural. That also doesn't mean that some people, even when presented with a sound and logical explanation for an event, will attribute it to the supernatural.

If I could borrow an analogy from the Bald Move Leftovers podcast, someone could flip a coin 100 times and have it land on heads every single time. It's improbable, but it could happen. There's a chance, the possibility exists, there's no natural law that says that it can never happen. Yet, despite knowing that on a rational level, if someone came up to you and said "I'm going to flip this coin 100 times and it will land on heads every single time" and then DID IT, it would raise a lot of questions even if you had both feet firmly grounded in reason and rationality.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Lindelof was on Andy Greenwald's Channel 33 podcast this week. Listen to it. It's really good.

Yes I got around to listening to this, and it was pretty good. Congrats to Lindelof on one of the best seasons of TV on HBO in awhile. I still believe he gets a bad rap from Lost fans (I am one who was so-so on the finale, but at the same time the ride made up for the destination).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, Bald Move and Greenwald's podcast with Lindelof were pretty good. But I also would like to recommend the film schlubs podcasts with Patrick Somerville (writer on the show) and the actress who plays Evie. They go a bit more into some of the intentions for the scenes and etc.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Yeah, this is essentially what I was trying to get at. Something being extremely unlikely does not mean it is impossible. If a possible rational explanation exists, it then ceases to be unambiguously supernatural. That also doesn't mean that some people, even when presented with a sound and logical explanation for an event, will attribute it to the supernatural.

The problem with this is that I feel it's on the filmmakers to leave us with at least a few morsels of breadcrumbs to be able to trace back and say "well I guess it could be this BECAUSE of this." I don't feel like just a blanket "well ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE" is a fair mechanic to introduce ambiguity into anything.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

joepinetree posted:

Yeah, Bald Move and Greenwald's podcast with Lindelof were pretty good. But I also would like to recommend the film schlubs podcasts with Patrick Somerville (writer on the show) and the actress who plays Evie. They go a bit more into some of the intentions for the scenes and etc.

Sweeeet, gonna check these out. Thanks

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

BonoMan posted:

The problem with this is that I feel it's on the filmmakers to leave us with at least a few morsels of breadcrumbs to be able to trace back and say "well I guess it could be this BECAUSE of this." I don't feel like just a blanket "well ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE" is a fair mechanic to introduce ambiguity into anything.

Which mystery specifically do you feel has no indications that it might just be the result of a freak coincidence?

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

The Amazing Randi could quickly and quite easily dismiss all these season 2 claims of the supernatural, better than I could. Honestly I'm not willing to do enough of the research, at least right now, but off the top of my head both Meg and the waiter know what Meg's mother ordered so the information could have gotten out many different ways, and, as far as I know off the top of my head (which I guess could be wrong, but this is the way I go into watching unspoiled TV shows), people buried by natural disasters and such have been found alive after way longer than 3 days. Air isn't the issue, for me at least. It's water: you aren't supposed to be able to survive more than 3 days without water, but in situations like these it's happened for far longer. As far as I know.

As for the departure, that could easily have been extraterrestrials using technology we haven't figured out yet. (I'm talking about in the show, not real life here, obviously.) Something like the departure doesn't have to destroy a person or a society's belief in the Enlightenment or science, but it so easily could. (The thought experiment of the Precambrian rabbit with regard to evolution specifically comes to mind.) I think viewing a show like The Leftovers makes it irresistible to think about what you would think caused the departure in that universe if you were in it, even if you actually shouldn't think about that. It adds up to a sort of litmus test, the way sleep paralysis does in real life. I don't believe people are being abducted by extraterrestrials in reality, but I also don't think every one of those people is lying about their subjective experiences or straight-up schizophrenic because I've heard of sleep paralysis. The thing about sleep paralysis, near as we can tell today, is that the reported experiences change over time, in historical terms. It's like a test of the ideas floating around in the individual's head and the individual's larger culture.

Different topic, I guess, but I wanted to say this some time: to my recollection, in the very first episode I thought of John Murphy as a Richard-Dawkins-type or -inspired vigilante (or terrorist or tyrant), and only toward the end of the season did I notice or process that Reza Aslan is now working on this show. There's a connection there. I think a or the main reason Season 2 is the way that it is is because of Reza Aslan's new involvement with the show. This is not negative criticism! Quite the opposite, actually.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Which mystery specifically do you feel has no indications that it might just be the result of a freak coincidence?

Specifically Kevin's gunshot and burial.

The gunshot was brutal and he bled out for a while. I mean the idea that he survived that is pretty preposterous. The burial as well given he wasn't buried in a container.

I'm not asking for outright explanations. Just maybe a morsel of conversation that lets me tie it to a coincidence. An offhand comment or something. But I'm being pretty picky here about how I feel the writer has the onus of building trust with the viewer to let them explain away things. And part of that trust is building a trail I can go back to instead of just "oh don't worry about it... it coulda happened."

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

BonoMan posted:

The burial as well given he wasn't buried in a container.
He was also given a lethal heart-stopping poison or something and left untreated.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fast Luck posted:

He was also given a lethal heart-stopping poison or something and left untreated.

Oh yeah that too.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

Kevin: What is that?
Virgil: It's poison. It's gonna stop your heart.
Kevin: You said temporarily.
Virgil: That I did. That I did. This... epinephrine. That poison's gonna work like a heroin overdose. It's gonna shut you down. This is gonna start you back up. Now, I'm gonna time this. Brain will be fine for up to five minutes. I'll give you the shot long before that.
Kevin: You've done this before?
Virgil: You know the guy on the pillar?
Kevin: Yeah.
Virgil: His name's Edward. He's a living, breathing success story.

Now, I don't like contradicting information stated explicitly in the show, so I wouldn't claim a character was providing false information unless I had a good reason for it. But the thing is: we know that Virgil is lying about the epinephrine. He has absolutely no intention of giving it to Kevin, yet he still takes out the needle and explains the process and makes it all seem routine to him. So the question then becomes, WHY would Virgil lie to Kevin about restarting his heart? Maybe it's because Virgil knows it's a lot easier to get cold feet when the proposition is "you're going to drink this poison, it's going to slow your heart rate down to almost nothing for 8 hours, and if everything goes right you'll wake up in a shallow grave." It's much easier for Kevin to make that final leap of faith and drink the koolaid when he thinks it'll be over and done with in five minutes.

BonoMan posted:

Specifically Kevin's gunshot and burial.

The gunshot was brutal and he bled out for a while. I mean the idea that he survived that is pretty preposterous. The burial as well given he wasn't buried in a container.

I don't think I can contest the burial with anything stated explicitly in the show. The only thing I can think of was that maybe the grave was shallow enough for air to still reach Kevin, but that's just speculation and isn't based on anything Michael or Kevin says.

The gunshot, though, passes straight through him. We see where the wound is and we see the bullet afterwards, intact. I'm not saying that these are the easiest circumstances to live through, but having no major arteries or organs hit and having no fragments of the bullet left in you is like the best possible outcome for a guy who has just been shot. That bullet could have severed his spinal cord or pierced a lung, but it didn't. His chances of survival in that situation could have been much, much worse. But then again, I don't have a medical degree, nor am I an expert in ballistics, so take that for what it's worth.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

The gunshot, though, passes straight through him. We see where the wound is and we see the bullet afterwards, intact. I'm not saying that these are the easiest circumstances to live through, but having no major arteries or organs hit and having no fragments of the bullet left in you is like the best possible outcome for a guy who has just been shot. That bullet could have severed his spinal cord or pierced a lung, but it didn't. His chances of survival in that situation could have been much, much worse. But then again, I don't have a medical degree, nor am I an expert in ballistics, so take that for what it's worth.

All of Kevin's internal organs have abs as well.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

And then there was the earthquake and then the lake drained while he was underwater and then all three of these potentially deadly things happened in a matter of days and he was able to somehow survive every time, and on top of that these near-deaths came accompanied with spiritual trips to some type of axis mundi location appearing as a hotel where he carried out a mission that was described to him by someone that could tell he had (or thought he had) a ghost following him around and then it worked and the ghost was banished!

And I just want to note that I really, really enjoyed all this but I am firmly in the supernatural shamanistic camp for it and think explaining it away, even if possible, is sort of an exercise in willfully maintaining ambiguity that in my mind is not really there at this point.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I love the supernatural element to it and don't really care if the deck is titled that way.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Except he laid there for quite a while bleeding out. Not hitting a major organ I'm ok with, but the blood loss would have been fatal for sure. And we see time passage to give us a good indicator.

I love the supernatural element to it and don't really care if the deck is titled that way.

Totally. I too am in the supernatural camp and love every bit of it.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

That just seems like a forced and fake ambiguity, a type of covering their bases for the sake of it.

The show could have been about how people deal with grief but arguably now an even bigger theme is how people deal with ambiguity and the unknown, and the grief is just part of that. Like it would be a very different show if 2% of the world's population just instantly died instead, right?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

And then there was the earthquake and then the lake drained while he was underwater and then all three of these potentially deadly things happened in a matter of days and he was able to somehow survive every time, and on top of that these near-deaths came accompanied with spiritual trips to some type of axis mundi location appearing as a hotel where he carried out a mission that was described to him by someone that could tell he had (or thought he had) a ghost following him around and then it worked and the ghost was banished!

And I just want to note that I really, really enjoyed all this but I am firmly in the supernatural shamanistic camp for it and think explaining it away, even if possible, is sort of an exercise in willfully maintaining ambiguity that in my mind is not really there at this point.

It's easy to make a list of coincidences sound silly when you put them all one after another like that, though. Think about the list of crazy unlikely probabilities that had to happen in order for life to exist on Earth. That doesn't necessarily mean they were pre-ordained by a higher power.

And for the record, I am too. My sister firmly believes that everything that happened in the show is the result of coincidence and that the characters just ascribe meaning to them. I think Kevin is a Shaman, so when we talk about the show I sound way more like you guys. But I like the ambiguity of the show, and I do think there are a lot of little touches that were intentionally added to enhance that ambiguity and inspire doubt. We saw Mary get congratulatory balloons in the hotel, but if that place between worlds was real, then why didn't she know she was pregnant until she woke up? If Erica burying the bird worked the first time, why didn't it work ever again?

EDIT: Smoking gun of the "Kevin is a shaman" thing is that the David Burton broadcast in "Off Ramp" specifically mentions a "bloke who came out of a cave and said he was in a hotel."

Lord Krangdar posted:

The thing is that saying its all supernatural doesn't actually resolve the ambiguity; it doesn't solve the mysteries, it just classifies them.

That's also true.

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 12, 2016

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

The thing is that saying its all supernatural doesn't actually resolve the ambiguity; it doesn't solve the mysteries, it just classifies them.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lord Krangdar posted:

No of course not, but it has a pretty measurable impact on HOW you experience the series though.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah, same here, love the show and some parts for me are clearly supernatural and it don't even seem worth trying to explain em away rationally. I do understand why Lindlehoff would want to avoid going anywhere near explaining what is and isn't intended to be taken that way though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

EDIT: Smoking gun of the "Kevin is a shaman" thing is that the David Burton broadcast in "Off Ramp" specifically mentions a "bloke who came out of a cave and said he was in a hotel."

I took the "bloke who came out of a cave and said he was in a hotel" to be Kevin's father, who said he was going to Australia. Also, the dude in the tower had mail for him in like the first episode.

• Locked thread