Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Jedi425 posted:

dropping the kinetic payload.

Which is the best euphemism for venting one's waste tank.

Edit: poo joke at the top of a new page, hell yeah.

rantmo fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Patrick Spens posted:

Not going to lie, I did not expect it to be that easy to fire the rods.

The German's made it. They are known to make things as simple as possible.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Odds seem high that the eventual solution will be to drop the whole station on that thing.

Odds of this: rising.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

When I first saw the words 'Orbitpanzer' I thought the spears were going to turn out to be Nazi orbital drop mechs and that's how Robo was going to join the battle.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Superstring posted:

When I first saw the words 'Orbitpanzer' I thought the spears were going to turn out to be Nazi orbital drop mechs and that's how Robo was going to join the battle.

there's still time he just has to clean the skull out

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Bobulus posted:

Odds seem high that the eventual solution will be to drop the whole station on that thing.

Isn't that really the answer to all of life's problems?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hopefully people don't mind me posting about the RPG here, but folks might like to know that the current Evil Hat kickstarter will include the Majestic 12 sourcebook.

quote:

Enter Majestic 12, a secret government organization that has only recently stepped out into the light in the latest volume of the Atomic Robo webcomic. We've strapped Atomic Robo author Brian Clevinger to a chair, given him the eyedrops and injections, flipped on Beethoven's Ninth, and demanded he tell us everything he knows about Majestic 12. We'd say he cracked under the strain, but anybody who knows him knows he's already a bit cracked.
Has anyone seen Hyperactive post lately? :ohdear:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't worry, he's apparently been sucked into Final Fantasy XIV.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Endless Mike posted:

Don't worry, he's apparently been sucked into Final Fantasy XIV.
It's fun!

Sorta.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hopefully people don't mind me posting about the RPG here, but folks might like to know that the current Evil Hat kickstarter will include the Majestic 12 sourcebook.

Not gonna lie, I backed that entirely for the Robo book. I guess the superhero one sounds neat too, but I need me more Robo. I think it might be a serious medical condition.

Hyperactive posted:

It's fun!

Sorta.

It's at least in the same neighborhood as fun!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Final Fantasy derailed Joe Mad's career, don't let it do the same to you!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hyperactive posted:

It's fun!

Sorta.

I'll admit I enjoyed what I've played during free periods.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Rhyno posted:

Final Fantasy derailed Joe Mad's career, don't let it do the same to you!
Oh, I wouldn't worry. Working on Volume 11 and RSAv3 scripts right now. And a mini-comic so you guys have something to read between the end of the current issue and the start of the next one.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

William Gibson just retweeted a Dr. Dinosaur True Science Fact. You've made it, Hyperactive.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

rantmo posted:

William Gibson just retweeted a Dr. Dinosaur True Science Fact. You've made it, Hyperactive.
And I thought nothing would top the time when George Takei retweeted my Sulu joke from The Avengers and the Infinity Gauntlet.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

P.S. we decided to give you guys twice as many free comics from now on. Enjoy. :toot:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Hyperactive posted:

P.S. we decided to give you guys twice as many free comics from now on. Enjoy. :toot:

That's awesome. So, are these just about Atomic Robo's Tesla's life or is there more to it?

As a side note, glad Robo isn't reliant on tapping into energy grids anymore. Though, it looks like China knows what he did and are already acting on it.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Covok posted:

That's awesome. So, are these just about Atomic Robo's Tesla's life or is there more to it?
It'll be various adventures featuring secondary but still interesting characters we've seen or heard about in previous volumes of the main series. We're starting with a big time Tesla adventure. When this one wraps up, we'll move to a She-Devils tale. After that it's up to the KS backers.

quote:

As a side note, glad Robo isn't reliant on tapping into energy grids anymore. Though, it looks like China knows what he did and are already acting on it.
It occurs to me that nothing has changed yet. That thing might be the most amazing little nuclear reactor on the planet, but they don't have any fissile material to put into it. Not sure if we'll devote a short story to that or just drop a hint or two about how it got solved with some dialog down the road.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Hyperactive posted:

It'll be various adventures featuring secondary but still interesting characters we've seen or heard about in previous volumes of the main series. We're starting with a big time Tesla adventure. When this one wraps up, we'll move to a She-Devils tale. After that it's up to the KS backers.

It occurs to me that nothing has changed yet. That thing might be the most amazing little nuclear reactor on the planet, but they don't have any fissile material to put into it. Not sure if we'll devote a short story to that or just drop a hint or two about how it got solved with some dialog down the road.

I know I ain't a KS backer (didn't have the money at the time) or a writer, but it probably makes sense to do the later since it keeps in line with one of the comic's rules: No Filler. Unless, of course, you feel there is enough of a story there on its own. Just my 2 cents.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Covok posted:

I know I ain't a KS backer (didn't have the money at the time) or a writer, but it probably makes sense to do the later since it keeps in line with one of the comic's rules: No Filler. Unless, of course, you feel there is enough of a story there on its own. Just my 2 cents.
Well, there's an interesting story there with hooks for future disaster. It'll just depend on how directly we feel like hinting at it.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.
Any chance that the Crystals shown in the Pyramid back in chapter 3 of vol 1 are the same Crystals which later appear in the Hollow Earth arc, or is it coincidence that the Pyramid is Crystal powered?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

RandomNinja posted:

Any chance that the Crystals shown in the Pyramid back in chapter 3 of vol 1 are the same Crystals which later appear in the Hollow Earth arc, or is it coincidence that the Pyramid is Crystal powered?
It certainly started as a coincidence, but over the years we've decided that all Weird Crystal Stuff is related. It was cemented when we posited that Hollow Earth crystals are chunks of Theia leftover from the Giant Impact found throughout the Earth's crust and mantle. Certainly some of them would have worked their way to the surface, or near enough, to have been found throughout history like the early discoveries of fossils or metals. They'd have been poorly understood, but folks seeking occult knowledge or power would surely attempt to find them or to synthesize them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

While I know we are almost assuredly going back in time in the next story-arc, I wonder if Robo's resolution is going to last for a while or as long as a New Year's resolution lasts.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hey Hyperactive, will you be putting the page halves together when the volume is done? I don't mind the daily updates, but I also miss the comicbook format.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Last night I was watching an episode of The Middle Man and had a thought. Would the Middle Man exist in the Atomic Robo universe or would he be working for Atomic Robo?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

TurninTrix posted:

Hey Hyperactive, will you be putting the page halves together when the volume is done? I don't mind the daily updates, but I also miss the comicbook format.
This may have just been talked about in the blog post that went up like five seconds ago.

We're switching back to full page updates and I'll start replacing the current Ring of Fire half-pages with full pages at some point this week. It's easy to do, but dull as hell and kinda time consuming, so it might get done in batches.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
So a full page every day? 7 days a week? Insanity.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

And as an added bonus, the backer almost-complete version of the Majestic 12 book for the RPG just got released to backers. :getin:

e: Haha I love the "Anatomy of a conspiracy theory" sidebar

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 26, 2016

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Bucnasti posted:

So a full page every day? 7 days a week? Insanity.
OH LORD NO. Full pages but only three times a week.

Evil Mastermind posted:

And as an added bonus, the backer almost-complete version of the Majestic 12 book for the RPG just got released to backers. :getin:

e: Haha I love the "Anatomy of a conspiracy theory" sidebar
Hooray! Writing the RPG reeeeaaaally made me want to work on an M12 series of Real Science Adventures. We'll get to it one day.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Hyperactive posted:

This may have just been talked about in the blog post that went up like five seconds ago.

We're switching back to full page updates and I'll start replacing the current Ring of Fire half-pages with full pages at some point this week. It's easy to do, but dull as hell and kinda time consuming, so it might get done in batches.

I am SO glad you're doing this. The half pages made the story much, much harder for me to follow :(

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hyperactive posted:

OH LORD NO. Full pages but only three times a week.

Hooray! Writing the RPG reeeeaaaally made me want to work on an M12 series of Real Science Adventures. We'll get to it one day.

I was just about to say all the example characters seemed pretty fun and the example comics made me think of a series.

By the way, was Odin inspired by anyone visually? He reminds me of someone, but I don't know who.

Edit: Skimming through, I have no idea what neruo-elctric tesliana covers as a science. Is it understanding how to manipulate a brain through electrical impulses? Now, I'm not a neuro-scientist, but, in the world of action-scifi, doesn't that overlap? Unless the Tesla-bit implies that its princples deviate greatly from real neuro-science. Hard to tell without knowing NET, I suppose

Covok fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 26, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

By the way, was Odin inspired by anyone visually? He reminds me of someone, but I don't know who.
Niles Caulder?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Niles Caulder?

Nah, never seen him before. He's got a good look to him.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Tivac posted:

I am SO glad you're doing this. The half pages made the story much, much harder for me to follow :(
Yeah, RoF reads at a breakneck pace in the print issues and it's all because of the full page. I am probably most to blame since I think of each page as an individual unit. Writing for half a page veers a little too closely to those daily strips where they spend the first half summarizing the previous day's strip and no thanks.

Covok posted:

Edit: Skimming through, I have no idea what neruo-elctric tesliana covers as a science. Is it understanding how to manipulate a brain through electrical impulses? Now, I'm not a neuro-scientist, but, in the world of action-scifi, doesn't that overlap? Unless the Tesla-bit implies that its princples deviate greatly from real neuro-science. Hard to tell without knowing NET, I suppose
Basically the in-universe handwave for psionic and psychic effects if you want them in your adventure. Odic Field is another avenue toward those sorts of effects. Same with Hollow Earth crystals. I think we're making the case within the comic across the next few volumes that these are different methods to attain the same goal of creating radical changes in local spacetime via consciousness.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hyperactive posted:

Basically the in-universe handwave for psionic and psychic effects if you want them in your adventure. Odic Field is another avenue toward those sorts of effects. Same with Hollow Earth crystals. I think we're making the case within the comic across the next few volumes that these are different methods to attain the same goal of creating radical changes in local spacetime via consciousness.
I am very much looking forward to seeing more Odic stuff in the comic.

Also CRYSTALS.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hyperactive posted:

Yeah, RoF reads at a breakneck pace in the print issues and it's all because of the full page. I am probably most to blame since I think of each page as an individual unit. Writing for half a page veers a little too closely to those daily strips where they spend the first half summarizing the previous day's strip and no thanks.

Ok, I get it now: it's the in-universe science behind psychics. That makes sense. Probably especially useful when fighting those physic soviets from the corebook.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hyperactive posted:

It's almost like you can read my mind! :tinfoil:

And I should really back More Fate when I have the cash.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
So, uh, in the Atomic Robot universe, what with his company being called Tesladyne, who is the premiere manufacturer of high end electric automobiles, and are they also involved in spaceflight and pneumatic mass transportation?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

A.o.D. posted:

So, uh, in the Atomic Robot universe, what with his company being called Tesladyne, who is the premiere manufacturer of high end electric automobiles, and are they also involved in spaceflight and pneumatic mass transportation?
The funny part of this question is that we're getting close to answering this in the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

I don't mean to come off like an interview, but would it be rude or redundant to ask what made you want to make Atomic Robo? I hope I'm not unfairly abridging your comic career, but I know you worked on a sprite comic called 8-Bit Theather. I personally never read it, I'm sure it was good, but I was aware of it as my friend was into the series. What made you jump from a final fantasy parody (from my knowledge of the series) to Atomic Robo? I'm sure both were awesome series, but curious what lead to Robo.

If you don't mind divulging and you didn't already get asked this a bunch from other sources/people.

Covok fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 31, 2016

• Locked thread