Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Jia posted:

this guy is real dumb though

You quoted the wrong person, it should be this guy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Psycho Pete, Liberty Bell, and Who Pooped the Bed? are the only episodes I usually skip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
This website graphs tv user ratings, seems like they generally match opinions in this thread:

http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt0472954

For whatever that's worth.

Bust Rodd posted:

I also don't think the waitress is funny in any scene, she is the worst part of the show and literally never gets a laugh out of me. She would never have made it past season 5 without being Charlie Day's wife.

Whaaaaaaaat. She's essential.

Cojawfee posted:

What's boring about it?

Before I also said it was boring, but I can't remember enough about it to remember why (because I was so bored). I'm going to rewatch the few episodes I disliked, though, so we'll see.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Can we talk about "The Gang Gets Analyzed" because it's one of the best episodes and never gets mentioned.

I've been waiting for someone here to say the word impossible so I could say "Well first of all through god all things are possible so jot that down"

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 13, 2016

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Can we talk about "The Gang Gets Analyzed" because it's one of the best episodes and never gets mentioned.

How's that, huh? You having a white christmas? YOU HAVIN' A WHITE CHRISTMAS, YOU BITCH?!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I've been waiting for someone here to say the word impossible so I could say "Well first of all through god all things are possible so jot that down"

Dennis giving Mac "size pills" is so loving crazy and hilarious.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

It might be the biggest payoff episode. It's not as accessible to new watchers, though.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Dennis giving Mac "size pills" is so loving crazy and hilarious.

Giving a man medicine for his disease - Wherever did I get that idea?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Waltzing Along posted:

It might be the biggest payoff episode. It's not as accessible to new watchers, though.

Why does this keep getting brought up as an issue? The show has been on for eleven seasons. Most of its viewership is not going to be people new to the show.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Why does this keep getting brought up as an issue? The show has been on for eleven seasons. Most of its viewership is not going to be people new to the show.

If you show Sunny Xmas episode to a new watcher it is very funny. If you show Analyzed 1/2 the stuff will go right over their heads.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

How's that, huh? You having a white christmas? YOU HAVIN' A WHITE CHRISTMAS, YOU BITCH?!

Tell me I'm good!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Waltzing Along posted:

If you show Sunny Xmas episode to a new watcher it is very funny. If you show Analyzed 1/2 the stuff will go right over their heads.

Ok, but what do you expect showing a random episode? Again, the show has been on a long time, they are not going to cater every episode toward attracting new viewers. I just don't see why it's such a problem.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ok, but what do you expect showing a random episode? Again, the show has been on a long time, they are not going to cater every episode toward attracting new viewers. I just don't see why it's such a problem.

Not really sure what you are getting at. Analyzed is my favorite episode but I can see how it is not good for new viewers because many of the jokes are based on already knowing the characters.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Not really sure what you are getting at. Analyzed is my favorite episode but I can see how it is not good for new viewers because many of the jokes are based on already knowing the characters.

I've just been seeing the complaint a lot the last few seasons that "such-and-such episode is not as accessible to new viewers", and I just don't see why that is a problem when the show has been on this long.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I've just been seeing the complaint a lot the last few seasons that "such-and-such episode is not as accessible to new viewers", and I just don't see why that is a problem when the show has been on this long.

Because there aren't very many people who watch? Most people have never seen an episode let alone heard about the show.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I watched The Gang Gets Held Hostage again, Margaret's face when Mac starts arguing with Charlie's butt is wonderful

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Why the gently caress would you introduce someone to the show with an episode from Season 8?

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Noctone posted:

Why the gently caress would you introduce someone to the show with an episode from Season 8?

One season prior, The Gang Gets Trapped is great even if someone's never seen the show before

They took the concept of "the gang is trapped in a house and the occupants are home" and made one of the best episodes ever out of it.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

many johnnys posted:

One season prior, The Gang Gets Trapped is great even if someone's never seen the show before

and?

i'm with rock the house, it's completely bizarre for people to be complaining about an eleven-season show (and a niche show at that) not being completely catered to syndication

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Noctone posted:

and?

i'm with rock the house, it's completely bizarre for people to be complaining about an eleven-season show (and a niche show at that) not being completely catered to syndication

:respek:

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Noctone posted:

and?

I'm sayin' that many of the episodes, even later in the series, are perfectly accessible. Some jokes and references may fly by but they're still very funny (and if someone comes back to it later they'll catch them the second time around). The writing is so solid.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Who gives a poo poo if an episode is good for a first timer? Start at episode 1 jabroni.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Who gives a poo poo if an episode is good for a first timer? Start at episode 1 jabroni.

I'll take that advise under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

What's boring about it?

Lord Krangdar posted:

Before I also said it was boring, but I can't remember enough about it to remember why (because I was so bored). I'm going to rewatch the few episodes I disliked, though, so we'll see.

This is roughly my opinion about it. I watched it when it aired and found it boring enough to skip on all subsequent rewatches (along with Who Pooped The Bed, the only two I skip). I don't remember why it was boring, maybe it's due for a rewatch.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I find the first time argument to be dumbas hell but you are also assuming the viewer is dumber than farts. Go watch cable at 7am that isn't the news. It's all random out of order episodes of 90s sitcoms. You don't need to know the specific callbacks to understand things.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
You see, friend, Sam Malone is a womanizer, so when the bar patrons made a joke about him caring about a woman, they were referencing character development established in Season 1, Episode 2.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

That's what I did last year, and about 3 weeks and 9 seasons later I was in a state of delirium JUST as season 10 started. Good times, great memories :allears:

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Frank's scene in the Gang Gets Analyzed might be the funniest thing ever written and performed.

"I opened up to a therapist just once. I was a kid. I got into a fight. The doctor asked me question after question. Got me so scrambled up. Next think you know, I was shanghaied upstate to a nitwit school. You know what a nitwit school is? Yeah. Not just for nuts in the head. Bodies, too. Back then, science was real crude. They stuck us all together. My roommate was a frog kid. You ever see a frog kid? Yeah. The place was windowless. There was a guard every ten feet. All the rooms had drains in the floors so they could hose us down. Got my first kiss there. It was terrible! But not her. She was an angel. Always smiling. That's because she had no lips. But her mouth was still very much in play. Oh! She died two weeks later. She thought she was a space man with a plastic bag for a helmet. Oh! Ahh! Oh, you unzipped me! It's all coming back! It's all coming back! I hate you! It's all coming back, you understand? I don't like it! I don't like to think about it! Oh! It's it's... With a plastic bag for a helmet! Oh! You unzipped me! Oh oh!"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I was going to make a joke about a callback to Bruce banging baby dudes then I remembered Bruce was actually banging baby dudes :smith:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Naet posted:

Frank's scene in the Gang Gets Analyzed might be the funniest thing ever written and performed.

"I opened up to a therapist just once. I was a kid. I got into a fight. The doctor asked me question after question. Got me so scrambled up. Next think you know, I was shanghaied upstate to a nitwit school. You know what a nitwit school is? Yeah. Not just for nuts in the head. Bodies, too. Back then, science was real crude. They stuck us all together. My roommate was a frog kid. You ever see a frog kid? Yeah. The place was windowless. There was a guard every ten feet. All the rooms had drains in the floors so they could hose us down. Got my first kiss there. It was terrible! But not her. She was an angel. Always smiling. That's because she had no lips. But her mouth was still very much in play. Oh! She died two weeks later. She thought she was a space man with a plastic bag for a helmet. Oh! Ahh! Oh, you unzipped me! It's all coming back! It's all coming back! I hate you! It's all coming back, you understand? I don't like it! I don't like to think about it! Oh! It's it's... With a plastic bag for a helmet! Oh! You unzipped me! Oh oh!"

This is one of my favorite lines from the show and I kinda hope I can find good cause to use it in my life someday.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I think Gang Gets Analyzed is the best episode. Everyone gets their time to shine, even the guest star.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You know, I've been hearing you use that word, jabroni, and.... it's awesome.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I'm rewatching Dennis Reynolds: An Erotic Life and holy poo poo, I completely forgot about the Mac and Frank subplot where they try to meet Bon Jovi Bovine Joanie. Frank absolutely losing his poo poo over Mac's insistance to use the cancer scheme, plus the entire scene in the executive office. Mac just said "Frank? Thank you. Frank you." but I've never noticed it because it happens in one of those crosstalk moments

I think the real reason it's rare to find a bad Sunny episode is because most of them have at least 2 plot lines, and the likelihood of both of them being bad is very low. These scenes are hilarious

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

I think Gang Gets Analyzed is the best episode. Everyone gets their time to shine, even the guest star.

It has one of my favorite endings "DEE DO THE loving DISHES" ".....You goddamn dirty bitch!"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

timp posted:

I think the real reason it's rare to find a bad Sunny episode is because most of them have at least 2 plot lines, and the likelihood of both of them being bad is very low. These scenes are hilarious

Maybe that's why Frank's Brother gets panned so much. It only has the one plot line, plus you don't get to see the inner dynamics of the gang since they never split up in the episode. Like, Charlie and Dennis play off of each other much differently than Charlie and Mac. Someone made a post in this thread a while back about how you can see how those dynamics run through the show when you start comparing multiple episodes with the same character pairings.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Maybe that's why Frank's Brother gets panned so much. It only has the one plot line, plus you don't get to see the inner dynamics of the gang since they never split up in the episode. Like, Charlie and Dennis play off of each other much differently than Charlie and Mac. Someone made a post in this thread a while back about how you can see how those dynamics run through the show when you start comparing multiple episodes with the same character pairings.

It's from before Season 10 and maybe 9 though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
WIth no axis labels, how am I supposed to know what that is a graph of?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

How many times they have paired up with each other

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Naet posted:

His mind was Fort Knox, until the therapist asked him "Why don't you trust therapists?" and asked no further questions

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think my favorite parts in "gets analyzed" are actually the complete non-sequitur conclusions both Mac and Charlie seem to draw from the therapist's statements, it's completely in-character for Mac to completely make poo poo up and for Charlie to not understand a word she says and just come up with a mishmash of words which he believes summarizes her advice:

quote:

I'm not crazy. It's just, I think I might have hugged him a little too hard, kind of smothered him a bit, but, um, hey, we'll make an adjustment, uh, to it, and we'll make a tradition out of it.

quote:

The therapist implied that God wanted me to have bovine hormones and I think she's going to get them for me.

There are a few more of those bits and they're all great, particularly Mac attributing his own statement about god to the therapist, that cracks me up every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

WIth no axis labels, how am I supposed to know what that is a graph of?

Shirley you must be joking.