Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I assume that she means he will dismantle them and replace them with a single-payer system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trabisnikof posted:

If you get your ideas of what the election will be like from primary fundraising numbers the only one being shot in the foot is you.

The dems could run GW Bush and get a hard, nasty and money-filled cycle from the GOP.

I was just using it as a point that the Dems have their poo poo together.

A Man With A Plan posted:

Small donor fundraising is the only thing that matters, which is why we have lived in the Ron Pauliphate of America these past 16 years.

Not even touching on the fact Bernie =/= Ron Paul for many reasons if were talking small donor fundraising Bernie blows him out of the water. Obama also did shitloads of small donor fundraising and well, OBAMA'S AMERICA

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

I was just using it as a point that the Dems have their poo poo together.

That may be true, but the general is very much in contention this far out.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MaxxBot posted:

It's possible to recognize the difference between the two and not view "reverse racism" as a legitimate issue while also thinking the "lol kill whites" stuff is dumb and unfunny.

Of course it is, you don't see me saying it, do you? So our self-identified White Ally should probably criticize it on those grounds instead of the reverse racism poo poo if he wants all those back-pats for being One of the Good Ones.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I wonder how many times someone is going to say, "it means nothing but also its why you're totally wrong" w/r/t general election polling and Bernie Sanders

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

why is he still in this loving race?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blue squares posted:

I wonder how many times someone is going to say, "it means nothing but also its why you're totally wrong" w/r/t polling

depends on how much you watch cable tv

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

depends on how much you watch cable tv

or read this thread

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blue squares posted:

or read this thread

people get different results from ambiguous measurement tool, news at 11

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

people get different results from ambiguous measurement tool, news at 11

I was mocking the inherent stupidity of claiming something is both meaningless and also meaningful

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Man, if Clinton really does lose the democratic nomination then we deserve Trump. Democrats make shooting themselves in their own foot a loving work of art.

Does that mean you won't vote for bernie when he wins the primary?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

On Terra Firma posted:

Waiting for the right moment to deploy the Jeb! Blimp and leave Wolf Blitzer breathless.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

On Terra Firma posted:

fifty million USD

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blue squares posted:

I was mocking the inherent stupidity of claiming something is both meaningless and also meaningful

but was anyone actually doing that in this thread? There is a quote button you can use that helps make your point clearer when you're referring to other posters.

On Terra Firma posted:

still trying to sink Rubio I guess

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a Cards Against Humanity card

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

but was anyone actually doing that in this thread? There is a quote button you can use that helps make your point clearer when you're referring to other posters.

ReidRansom posted:

e: ^^^^ Sanders is currently polling better in the general against all republicans including Trump, not that it means too much right now

constantly

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Something can be notable and yet inconsequential. You might point out that a third-grader is the tallest kid in his class, yet still know that doesn't mean he's going to be the tallest when he's grown up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

On Terra Firma posted:

He's got enough money and political clout to play the long game. He's hoping Trump & Cruz fizzle out after Iowa/NH, at which point he can go full tilt against Rubio's immigration policies and claw his way back up.

He's also almost too big to fail at this point. He's been given so much money and backed by so many fat cats that if he pulled out now, it'd generate a lot of animosity among his high-roller donors. If he holds on to the bitter end and fails, he can run in 2020 and coax donors back with "it was a bad climate for me last time, we've learned our lessons. This time I have a shot." If he pulls out, he burns a lot of bridges and nobody is going to jump on ship again for another crack at running.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

On Terra Firma posted:

I think he's spent his entire life (or at least a significant portion of it) being told/believing/expecting that one day he will be President. Dubya kinda stole his thunder on that one but he did his part to help out the family and now it's his turn, and I don't think he can wrap his head around the idea that it's just not going to happen.

Romney seemed to have a similar thing in that he had to beat his dad by doing what he never could... except he couldn't either.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

fknlo posted:

Bernouts are going to lose their poo poo if/when Bernie doesn't win Iowa and New Hampshire.

Dragging this up from a few pages ago, but...I'm going to lose my poo poo if he does.

Disclaimer: I agree with Bernie, his politics mirror mine to a large degree, I would vote for Bernie if I were in a primary state that mattered, but I absolutely do not want him to win the primary.

Because if God forbid it should be Sanders vs. Trump :stonk: I have no interest in rolling the dice on that one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think it basically comes down to Jeb not being able to go home and look his family in the eye at this stage. His reputation is ruined. His political legacy is in the dirt. He's embarrassed himself and the family name. He highfived the guy he said insulted his wife. Jeb's a mess right now, or at least his ego is, and he just has to keep hanging on because things can't get any worse. Only they keep getting worse and every low reveals a new low. Jeb keeps thinking he's hit rock bottom and hoping it has to turn around so he just keeps falling and falling.

Why does Jeb stay in the race?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g2JN2PrHJg&t=48s

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'm all for ¡Jeb! staying in as long as possible and burning as much donor money as he can.

The disdain for engineering makes a lot more sense now that I've seen how many of you work with software engineers. Environmental engineering probably doesn't attract many Randroids or bitter nerd shutins.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

lol you got beef. I think that's the one time I said it.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Something can be notable and yet inconsequential. You might point out that a third-grader is the tallest kid in his class, yet still know that doesn't mean he's going to be the tallest when he's grown up.

But yeah, it's this, kind of. There's a reason polling organizations do these things. You can't extrapolate what the results will be ten months from now, sure, and in that sense it's meaningless, but you can see that right now, whatever little it may mean in terms of predicting the future, the situation is a certain way.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

lol you got beef. I think that's the one time I said it.
Nah, I just used your quote as my example because you were the most recent one, that's all

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Well, turns out, while 10 U.S. sailors are being detained in Iran tonight, Obama is still going to tout his iran deal. And, of course, will ignore completely said sailors.

Also, this is cute, but Iran will most likely not release the sailors tonight because it's gonna be dark out there :ohdear: thank goodness they're looking out for them.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Well, turns out, while 10 U.S. sailors are being detained in Iran tonight, Obama is still going to tout his iran deal. And, of course, will ignore completely said sailors.

Also, this is cute, but Iran will most likely not release the sailors tonight because it's gonna be dark out there :ohdear: thank goodness they're looking out for them.

As a Navy veteran, I can assure you, we're better off without them

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

blue squares posted:

Nah, I just used your quote as my example because you were the most recent one, that's all

Fair enough then.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

You're pages late and levels short on your trolling skills buddy.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Clinton supporters have been pushing a narrative that Sanders cannot win the general while Hillary can; and while no the polls don't mean much this far out they are also the only actual evidence we have.

To use the third grader metaphor, it's unconvincing to say that Lil Hillary is definitely going to be taller than Young Bernie when they both grow up when Young Bernie is taller right now.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Trabisnikof posted:

You're pages late and levels short on your trolling skills buddy.

Cut me some slack, I just got home.

Why is this trolling? This is USPol, politics and the optics of them are fair game. Unless you think Iranians holding US military is a good thing for Obama?

vvvvv Well now we're making some sense here vvvvv

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 13, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Why is this trolling? This is USPol, politics and the optics of them are fair game. Unless you think Iranians holding US military is a good thing for Obama?

It's a good thing for Obama because it will further his lust for jihad

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it's a good thing because it will give the republican candidates a good platform to talk about how they would immediately invade Iran if they were in his place, only to look incredibly stupid when the sailors are released tomorrow

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Clinton supporters have been pushing a narrative that Sanders cannot win the general while Hillary can; and while no the polls don't mean much this far out they are also the only actual evidence we have.

To use the third grader metaphor, it's unconvincing to say that Lil Hillary is definitely going to be taller than Young Bernie when they both grow up when Young Bernie is taller right now.

This is basically puts to words what I've been thinking. All I hear is how amazing Hilary is and how crazy Bernie is and it really doesn't add up. He's debating well, polling well, and is independent from big money. Everyone wants Hilary because she hates Republicans more? Whee.... I don't really care about that since her policies are basically 90s republican to begin with.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Also, Hillary vs Bernie chat is the worst and has its own thread for a very good reason

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'm glad Flint water story is gaining national traction. America needs to be made aware of what kind of scum Rick Snyder is.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it's a good thing because it will give the republican candidates a good platform to talk about how they would immediately invade Iran if they were in his place, only to look incredibly stupid when the sailors are released tomorrow

Hoooly gently caress, man. Do you really believe, in the general election, republicans are going to be worse off than democrats when this is brought up again?

Jesus christ, USPol. I can't wait to see how you implode during the general election.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Of course it is, you don't see me saying it, do you? So our self-identified White Ally should probably criticize it on those grounds instead of the reverse racism poo poo if he wants all those back-pats for being One of the Good Ones.

Jesus you're sanctimonious. Clearly anyone who questions the majesty of anything you say is The Oppressor. Any discussion with you ever turns into passive-aggressive sniping of the other person's motives.

Seriously, only you could turn "Maybe we could use a firebrand Democrat to push a progressive agenda that would work for more than just whites" into "Raaagh White Liberals!"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Because of course it would be the "House Freedom Caucus"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm glad Flint water story is gaining national traction. America needs to be made aware of what kind of scum Rick Snyder is.

Is it getting much? I see a ton of coverage of it on NBC/MSNBC but I haven't seen much on other channels. I was really annoyed that yesterday while MSNBC was showing Snyder's press conference CNN and Fox News were waiting for the Affluenza Mom to show up at court. It seemed to sum up things well. A tabloid story about one rich white family is more compelling than a human tragedy of thousands of poor black people being poisoned by the government's decisions and coverups. I saw Fox News mention it last week and they presented the story like it was brand new and didn't mention any of the coverup stuff or the issue of the governor appointed city manager.

Its an absolutely horrifying story that SHOULD be a national scandal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Also, Hillary vs Bernie chat is the worst and has its own thread for a very good reason

No, the worst was pages of STEM bullshit, same as it always is.

• Locked thread