Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It gets better and better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
So does this mean that every time a pro team prints up some cards on an inkjet for testing, they're violating Wizards' copyright? Should LSV start reporting the entirety of Team ChannelFireball, including himself, at the start of every pro tour for mass counterfeiting?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So now the only way I can play the kind of Magic I'd like to in my area is if WotC goes out of business.

Hmm.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Minority Deport posted:

So does this mean that every time a pro team prints up some cards on an inkjet for testing, they're violating Wizards' copyright? Should LSV start reporting the entirety of Team ChannelFireball, including himself, at the start of every pro tour for mass counterfeiting?

Clearly if you did not hate magic and want it to die you would buy enough $100 scalding tarns for your entire playgroup to have 4 of them in their test decks, at once.

Now let us tell you about the real threat to the magic tournament community, namely a fat guy taking pictures with other people's naked asscracks

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ramos posted:

To be fair, how would you break this to the masses? Being community manager occasionally means having to take poo poo two ways.

If that was my only option I would have chose no message at all. The message itself was just gas on a fire. $$$ is just being lit on fire right now reputation wise. The only thing uncertain is how much is going to burn.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

How the hell does Wizards even benefit from this? The cards people proxy haven't made WotC a dime in twenty years.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ramos posted:

I guess the solution for vintage is to counterfeit better.

As I'm seeing it, there's three ways Vintage (and to a lesser, but still significant, degree, Legacy) can go:
a) RIP. Too expensive, too little interest, just the VSL and like 10 guys playing with quad-sleeved Lotuses and Moxen. Nobody makes money.
b) Fakes. Nobody in the game makes money, except Chinese counterfeiters.
c) Abolish the Reserve List, in one of the gorillion ways you can do it (staggered, offer to buy at current values, gently caress u collectors etc.). Wizards makes money, the secondary market makes money, collectors' old cards retain value by being the original printing (compare Commander to C14/C15 Skullclamp for a smaller scale). Everyone makes money, counterfeiters lose one of their biggest footholds into Magic (why buy fake, when you can buy legit for not much more?)

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I googled "Top 8 vintage deck", took the first one that popped up (happened to be UR Delver), and checked its price. Sixteen thousand dollars.

Listen, some formats are harder to get into than others. Wizards understands that. End of statement.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ramos posted:

To be fair, how would you break this to the masses? Being community manager occasionally means having to take poo poo two ways.
Ooh, I know! How about not on loving Reddit. If it's important then you should control the medium.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I don't think Magic is in danger of dying anytime soon, but this is the kind of community outreach decision, along with the judge banning thing recently and the new Duels video game being so terrible, that could at least flatten growth into a plateau. Pun very much intended.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

How the hell does Wizards even benefit from this? The cards people proxy haven't made WotC a dime in twenty years.

I love that instead of making a good business decision to try to solve counterfeit cards like, I dunno, dropping this reserved list bullshit, they make an absolute terrible one that might actually hurt some profits in the long run.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

odiv posted:

Ooh, I know! How about not on loving Reddit. If it's important then you should control the medium.

Well, obviously the Reddit being the medium thing is a little bit unprofessional, but honestly any lack of professionalism medium-wise is being vastly eclipsed by what a steaming turd the message itself is. It wouldn't matter if it was on the mothership or whatever, it'd still be a gigantic gently caress you to players.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It's going to be interesting to see whether the game really can just keep growing infinitely in spite of the amazingly lovely decisions Wizards makes with management of their card game.

Also what, if anything, any pros will say or do now that they've been collectively called counterfeiters

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I can see this being a Milton-in-Office-Space type situation where corporate thinks this isn't anything new or radical, just a clarification of existing policy. So all they have to do is make the situation clear and the problem should go away on its own.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

So now the only way I can play the kind of Magic I'd like to in my area is if WotC goes out of business.

Hmm.

You can play still. Just not anywhere that has and values their WPN affiliation. :lol:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Don't play magic folks

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't play magic folks

New thread title please

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

lmao i didn't believe wotc would be that dumb, but by god they managed it

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Its funny that the official wotc statement is downvoted into being hidden.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

unban proxies
ban non-english cards in english-based tournaments or force english proxies to be used.

everyone wins.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Reminder: WotC literally fired the previous community manager Mike Robles for making a tweet telling someone that it was okay for him to proxy an expensive card for his EDH deck if his playgroup was okay with it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

:siren: DO NOT GIVE WOTC MONEY :siren:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

the best part is, if you take the logical end step of their last two idiotic statements then sometime in the near future, a player is going to be banned for not reporting his friends playing with a proxied cube in the back of their lgs, lmao

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Mental magic is banned at all stores as well due to counterfeiting

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

:siren: DO NOT GIVE WOTC MONEY :siren:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
drat, Wizards is fuckin up.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

lmao wotc came out and clarified that writing "Black Lotus" on a Bird Maiden is counterfeiting

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mortimer posted:

ban non-english cards in english-based tournaments or force english proxies to be used.

:sigh: Please not this again.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Ultima66 posted:

Reminder: WotC literally fired the previous community manager Mike Robles for making a tweet telling someone that it was okay for him to proxy an expensive card for his EDH deck if his playgroup was okay with it.

This owns, for how straight out of a movie it is. Literally Evil Corp.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

This conversation is too one-sided, we need someone to say that WotC is actually good and cool here. Where's Zoness?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

lmao wotc came out and clarified that writing "Black Lotus" on a Bird Maiden is counterfeiting

Another case that I don't think anyone's brought up yet, if you say "Hey, all the copies of Swiftwater Cliffs in my deck are actually Scalding Tarns," that's a "counterfeit" in Trick Jarrett's cocaine-addled brain even though no modification has actually been made to the card, right?

Does this mean that the old playtesting trick of using playing cards with a "key" for what each one is in each deck is also "counterfeiting"?

Someone should put these questions to him.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Um... Well you see WotC has a vested interest in making sure that.. uh... You know, they have to make money to keep being able to... make... games. And, like, Sharpie is technically a direct competitor so......

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

MiddleEastBeast posted:

This owns, for how straight out of a movie it is. Literally Evil Corp.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

No really the reason Trick Jarrett is a total corporate mouthpiece is because WotC literally fired a guy in 2013 for saying it's okay to proxy for EDH on Twitter.

The funniest thing to me is I didn't realize until I looked it up earlier that he was the community manager before Trick Jarrett meaning Trick was literally moved to the job to replace him after he got fired. Also his wife has always been a big spokesperson for WotC since she's one of the people in charge of the Lady Planeswalker Society and still working at Wizards so I think they expect her to talk up WotC whenever possible despite them firing her husband over this inane bullshit.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Ultima66 posted:

In Trick We Trust

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I can't really fault the guy for toeing the company line. That is exactly his job.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Ultima66 posted:

No really the reason Trick Jarrett is a total corporate mouthpiece is because WotC literally fired a guy in 2013 for saying it's okay to proxy for EDH on Twitter.

I'm not saying I don't believe you buy did anybody have a source for this. It seems.... incredible.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I can't really fault the guy for toeing the company line. That is exactly his job.

His aggressive tone in all of these announcements of "Actually it's you who should feel sorry for us!" isn't helping matters and is entirely on him.

Also his name is Trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

To all of you that said "WOTC isn't going after people with sharpies".

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/40kdsz/wizards_may_be_cracking_down_on_unsanctioned/cyvzi9d

Welp.

Trick wants to be infamous.

i wonder what it's like to be someone else's mouthpiece and have to justify what other people do without telling you or get fired

• Locked thread