Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Reading here is like going to a party where everyone is talking baseball and then someone mentions gardening. Everyone agrees gardening is good and then goes back to baseball :).

Really though maybe I should turn this around. Would there be interest in a board game thread where we talk about games that focus on mechanics? I don't want to call them Euro games because there are now many games that are mechanical in nature that are not out of Europe. The title would be something like "Board games where mechanics are the thing!" Naturally open to other suggestions.

If there is interest, I'll do it if someone can help me with images, as me and images and somethingawful don't agree :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just do it here. We need more in depth discussion like the review of The Gallerist on the last page.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Lorini posted:

Reading here is like going to a party where everyone is talking baseball and then someone mentions gardening. Everyone agrees gardening is good and then goes back to baseball :).

Really though maybe I should turn this around. Would there be interest in a board game thread where we talk about games that focus on mechanics? I don't want to call them Euro games because there are now many games that are mechanical in nature that are not out of Europe. The title would be something like "Board games where mechanics are the thing!" Naturally open to other suggestions.

If there is interest, I'll do it if someone can help me with images, as me and images and somethingawful don't agree :(.

Be the change you want to see in this thread. You don't need to take your gardening talk out to the patio, just start gardening talk here in the parlor where the baseball talk will continue, but now with a peppering of gardening chat.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Indolent Bastard posted:

Be the change you want to see in this thread. You don't need to take your gardening talk out to the patio, just start gardening talk here in the parlor where the baseball talk will continue, but now with a peppering of gardening chat.

This is literally what I did to this thread 5 years ago.

I keep hearing hype about Food Chain Magnate. What even is it?

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012

CaptainRightful posted:

It sounds like people with bad Codenames experiences forgot they can use the timer?

We actually used the app and had 3 minute turns for the code master and field agents. I agree that the timer can actually make it worse for some.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Someone previously mentioned all COIN games were gonna get a reprint. Anyone know when this is supposed to happen?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Megasabin posted:

Someone previously mentioned all COIN games were gonna get a reprint. Anyone know when this is supposed to happen?

You'll need to check the GMT P500 page. Once a game has 500 (more or less) preorders, it gets reprinted. By preordering you get it for a substantial discount, but I hear that non-US shipping can be terribly expensive.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Das Doppelganger posted:

Ok, I think it's been hinted at enough now that I'm fine putting this out there:

Codenames can be really really awful.

If you have a solid group of smart people or even moderately clever people it can be awesome. ...

Social activities more entertaining when among people whose company you enjoy: News at 11.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

This is literally what I did to this thread 5 years ago.

I keep hearing hype about Food Chain Magnate. What even is it?

It's the new Splotter (Roads & Boats, Great Zimbabwe, etc.) hotness. Each player runs a restaurant chain and attempts to make the most money by utilizing their staff, locations, and advertising the most efficiently. Houses have desires based on advertising. Restaurants can get those food items by hiring cooking staff and drink transporters. Houses will go to the closest restaurant that can fulfill all of their wants the cheapest. That mean that an ad campaign you set up can actually help your opponents if you are a huge idiot who is bad at games (like me).

The map is randomized so there is a to no replayability. It's also now on its third OOP print run, so if you want to play it you'll have to spend a stupid amount for a 2nd hand copy or hope a friend has it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Megasabin posted:

Please do the needful and P500 Cuba Libre.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Oldstench posted:

It's the new Splotter (Roads & Boats, Great Zimbabwe, etc.) hotness. Each player runs a restaurant chain and attempts to make the most money by utilizing their staff, locations, and advertising the most efficiently. Houses have desires based on advertising. Restaurants can get those food items by hiring cooking staff and drink transporters. Houses will go to the closest restaurant that can fulfill all of their wants the cheapest. That mean that an ad campaign you set up can actually help your opponents if you are a huge idiot who is bad at games (like me).

The map is randomized so there is a to no replayability. It's also now on its third OOP print run, so if you want to play it you'll have to spend a stupid amount for a 2nd hand copy or hope a friend has it.

You can also wait for it - the game is getting an stateside printing some time this year.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Impermanent posted:

You can also wait for it - the game is getting an stateside printing some time this year.

I thought it was a distribution? I don't think they are actually printing it here, otherwise they would probably use Hasbro to print, and no one wants that :argh:

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Impermanent posted:

Where did you hear that? On Splotter's website it still says they don't know if they'll be printing a 4th run this year.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Where did you hear that? On Splotter's website it still says they don't know if they'll be printing a 4th run this year.

It's on BGG. Check the FCM game page forum section.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Lorini posted:

I thought it was a distribution? I don't think they are actually printing it here, otherwise they would probably use Hasbro to print, and no one wants that :argh:

Kamikaze Raider posted:

There's a link to it here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1487449/passport-game-studios-releasing-food-chain-magnate

I was wrong about it being a printing, yeah, it's a distribution.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

sonatinas posted:

Please do the needful and P500 Cuba Libre.

Seriously, we need everyone who's somewhat interested to get on this!

https://www.gmtgames.com/s-2-p500.aspx

486 may seem so close to 500, but the order count has actually decreased since the last time I checked. I guess some people decided they needed to save money after the holidays.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
GMT non US shipping is "gaahhh I'll just wait and buy it retail" level.

As for images, just make an account on imgur and use that - has worked great for me. They have preformatted code that works here on SA. Their large thumbnail preformat works great.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

CaptainRightful posted:

486 may seem so close to 500, but the order count has actually decreased since the last time I checked. I guess some people decided they needed to save money after the holidays.

It's listed in late Jan/Feb in the production matrix. I think it's pretty much good to go at this point.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

T-Bone posted:

Do you think it's generally worth it to try and conspire to block the PRR or grab a share and build it into nowhere (especially if someone gets two shares in it), or does it generally just weaken you long term?

It seems to me that the null auction is most useful to a diversified player (like 1 share in 3-4 companies), but perhaps I'm not grasping some of its other utility, sound about right?

The game owns by the way. I'll have them knee deep in 1830 in no time.

I think that ensuring that the PRR can't get to Chicago (since it has so few track) is worth getting a stock in it. Taking the second stock while someone has one is essentially an attack on them at that point, but from then on you can either continue to be adversarial with your track building or the two of you can cooperate to make some cash or block the other railroads. The PRR is in prime position to cut down to the mountains and make the two southern companies have fits. If in response the third share is bought things of course change again. If one of the two current owners buys the third share then the relationship becomes adversarial again. If a third player invests the company is essentially dead unless you need to make up ground on the fourth player.

If someone gets two shares right off the bat taking the third and bleeding track is probably a good idea unless you can collude to block it with other companies.

By null auctioning you're pushing towards a dividend without advancing the board state. Say you're the guy with the two shares in the PRR and you don't want to see someone take the third share this round, but you also don't feel like spending money to protect your own investment. That's a good time to null auction, especially if you happen to be taking the last available one. If you null the second to last one you're at least forcing the person who takes the last auction to choose if they want to attack you or not since they can't just hope the player after them does it. Basically if you're in a strong position and you're not sure if you'll be able to cement that position or weaken the other players by starting an auction choosing null can be a valuable choice simply by limiting options.

I could be wrong about some of this, I've unfortunately only played nine times but those are the things that seem to happen.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

CaptainRightful posted:

They are going to print it anyway, they don't always wait to get the 500 preorders if they are doing a 2nd+ edition. Hence why Twilight Struggle has been reprinted like 8 times without getting to 500 each time.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Mister Sinewave posted:

GMT non US shipping is "gaahhh I'll just wait and buy it retail" level.

As for images, just make an account on imgur and use that - has worked great for me. They have preformatted code that works here on SA. Their large thumbnail preformat works great.

I've p500'd a number of games with surface freight and they've all been seen by air :P

Otherwise the month or two by sea is quicker than you'll usually see it in shops anyway.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I'm not sure why I did it, but I watched a video of people playing Secret Hitler, and it's beyond depressing that "Literally Resistance but worse in every way" made one point five mil. on Kickstarter. Once it ships and starts cropping up everywhere I'm going to have people who turned down even trying The Resistance or any other game talking my ears off about this new amazing game that's made by the creators of CAH that I should definitely play. There is no God.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The End posted:

I've p500'd a number of games with surface freight and they've all been seen by air :P

Otherwise the month or two by sea is quicker than you'll usually see it in shops anyway.

Shipping And Tax Estimate
Shipping: (Pacific Rim Surface - Slow Option Allow 4-8 Weeks) $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Total: $0.00

So.. surface shipping is free? $48US is definitely cheaper than I'd get a game locally, plus I have this $10 GMT voucher... I don't mind waiting, literally my only exposure to cuba libre is people in this thread getting hype about it but I love twilight struggle to death so I guess just take the plunge?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

You will probably still need to pay customs depending on where you live. If you live in the UK, most definitely

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Scyther posted:

I'm not sure why I did it, but I watched a video of people playing Secret Hitler, and it's beyond depressing that "Literally Resistance but worse in every way" made one point five mil. on Kickstarter. Once it ships and starts cropping up everywhere I'm going to have people who turned down even trying The Resistance or any other game talking my ears off about this new amazing game that's made by the creators of CAH that I should definitely play. There is no God.

I think I watched the same video because I had mostly the same thought. It still looks like it would be fun to play, though, even if it is pretty clearly "The Resistance plus garbage". The Resistance is just that good. I'd MUCH rather see everyone getting on that train over CAH or Exploding Kittens or whatever else I actively don't want to play.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Ayn Randi posted:

Shipping And Tax Estimate
Shipping: (Pacific Rim Surface - Slow Option Allow 4-8 Weeks) $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Total: $0.00

So.. surface shipping is free? $48US is definitely cheaper than I'd get a game locally, plus I have this $10 GMT voucher... I don't mind waiting, literally my only exposure to cuba libre is people in this thread getting hype about it but I love twilight struggle to death so I guess just take the plunge?

If only!

They don't apply the shipping at order (because you're only 'pledging' at that point.). Once the game goes into final production, they charge the game+shipping. Use this chart: http://www.gmtgames.com/t-GMTShippingTable.aspx as a guide. They calculate game shipping at 3-4lbs

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I've never been able to get really excited about Resistance / Avalon, but I've enjoyed playing Secret Hitler (5 or 6 games, mocked up a PnP to reaffirm that I didn't need/want to back it) at least as much. I don't see it as being strictly worse personally, but I do see it as being similar enough that it isn't really necessary. Basically I'd agree to play either and assuming a good group of players for both I would enjoy either equally. I doubt there will be quite the must-play-it-and-go-ape-poo poo-over-it crowd for Secret Hitler as CAH has.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The End posted:

If only!

They don't apply the shipping at order (because you're only 'pledging' at that point.). Once the game goes into final production, they charge the game+shipping. Use this chart: http://www.gmtgames.com/t-GMTShippingTable.aspx as a guide. They calculate game shipping at 3-4lbs

Ah drat, thought that was too good to be true. So $19 for ground shipping then, a lot relative to the cost of the game but still.. with $10 discount probably cheaper than it would retail here even if copies ever showed up (likely they would not)

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Scyther posted:

What are you talking about? The creator has stated that he figured out the flaw with Resistance-like games and is just fixing it with this game.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The flaw was "no hitler".

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Hello, I would like to discuss Agricola and strategy therein because no one wants to play with me anymore :saddowns:

I love Agricola so much you guys.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
As someone who has played traitor games for about half my life I always felt things needed more hitler.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Please support my new lcg kickstarter, Android Nethitler

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I kept claiming Hitler in Coup, but little did they know all I had left was a Schindler

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

mr.capps posted:

I kept claiming Hitler in Coup, but little did they know all I had left was a Schindler

Hitling is so much stronger than Schindling.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Defenestration posted:

Hello, I would like to discuss Agricola and strategy therein because no one wants to play with me anymore :saddowns:

I love Agricola so much you guys.

Agricola is awesome so you should just start talking about it.

Also it's on Boite a Jeux, so you can play it with people you don't know, for free.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

homullus posted:

Agricola is awesome so you should just start talking about it.

Also it's on Boite a Jeux, so you can play it with people you don't know, for free.

ok one thing I love doing is buying a cheap fireplace and then batch slaughtering 8 sheep right before the first harvest. And I love playing Starting Player round 11 so that I get dibs on that sweet Family Growth without room in your house or Plow and Sow, whichever comes up.

my friends who won't play say it is because the game is unbalanced but we removed all the worst cards from the deck (like ratcatcher). Now they have no excuse, they're just bad. They play too many occupations.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Defenestration posted:

ok one thing I love doing is buying a cheap fireplace and then batch slaughtering 8 sheep right before the first harvest. And I love playing Starting Player round 11 so that I get dibs on that sweet Family Growth without room in your house or Plow and Sow, whichever comes up.

my friends who won't play say it is because the game is unbalanced but we removed all the worst cards from the deck (like ratcatcher). Now they have no excuse, they're just bad. They play too many occupations.

There's a new version with rebalanced cards due out this summer.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

There's a new version with rebalanced cards due out this summer.

I'm really looking forward to that version.

In other news, I'll have a full write up on Food Chain Magnate later this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I hope to be buying my first Splotter with the upcoming Indonesia reprint.