Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

44c sounds about right unless you think the GOP is actually collapsing.

Yeah, that figure is all dependent on who gets the nom on the GOP side. An establishment candidate will make the general a toss-up. Any fringe candidates of the moment make that a much more lucrative market, but we ought to know that those shares will not stay .44 if Cruz/Trump starts making serious progress towards the nom.

I guess if you're confident the GOP is going to poo poo the bed, you could possibly buy at .44 and flip after SC or something, but that money is too long term for me either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Wow, I would put Hillary fairly priced at like 60c. It doesn't even matter who the GOP candidate is, the map is just supremely unfavorable to them.

e: ok, I see that Bernie is at 26c so the democratic advantage is baked into their combined prices. Even then, it would take a ridiculous meltdown for him to even sniff the nomination.

nachos has issued a correction as of 23:46 on Jan 12, 2016

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Way I see it: Bernie now, trump later. In terms of bilking partisans and taking advantage of their supporters' delusions.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

New forecasts for Feb primaries: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-2016/primary-forecast/iowa-republican/

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Rand No in Iowa basically free money at 97c a pop. In no universe does he take the state. Also in no universe does this bet make you much, but hey.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I am a loving idiot who almost wasted a bunch of money betting on the SotU not being shorter than 55 minutes because I didn't think. Luckily I got out in time, but that was some loving easy money I gave up because I'm a dumb loving idiot.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
so, can anyone tell me how Nevada votes? If Trump wins IA, he also wins NH and SC, so why is TRUMP.SWEEP4 YES only 25c, while IACAUCUS16.GOP Trump 39c?

The last NV poll was late Dec, and had Trump +13, but it was by Gravis... Are the discounted SWEEP shares just people thinking that "there's too much time, nobody in NV has made up their minds yet", or "Adelson can swing the whole state"? The latter seems dead wrong to me, given the trends this year, and the former doesn't seem like a risk at all if Trump wins IA and NH.

Do they usually swing establishment, hard-line, evangelical, etc?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nevada GOP voters are made up of racists, libertarians and Mormons. Trump sweeping all four is undervalued, good find.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Bernie NO is down to the low 60s. I haven't been in that market for months but this is not realistic and this surge has gone too far. I'm a Bernie supporter and donor, but I know that is not going to happen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shear Modulus posted:

The sky is falling on my Sanders nos! :kingsley:

Bernie winning the entire loving election is currently 31¢ YES/ 70¢ NO.

Prime Sinister
Mar 23, 2005

tony scare
I don't get what happened in the SOTU length market. I had shares in 60-65 minutes, and everything I've read pegged the speech at 58 minutes and change. But I logged in just now, and looks like all my shares resolved to yes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Prime Sinister posted:

I don't get what happened in the SOTU length market. I had shares in 60-65 minutes, and everything I've read pegged the speech at 58 minutes and change. But I logged in just now, and looks like all my shares resolved to yes.

Read the rules, it could be something weird. I bet it's some arcane thing like they start the clock when he walks through the door and begins glad-handing, instead of when he starts talking.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Same. I don't know how long the speech was but apparently I made money at the length being longer than 55 minutes, that's was easy peasy. Have the republicans responded yet?

Prime Sinister
Mar 23, 2005

tony scare

Aliquid posted:

Read the rules, it could be something weird. I bet it's some arcane thing like they start the clock when he walks through the door and begins glad-handing, instead of when he starts talking.

Apparently he said "thank you" while in the range of the microphone before he was even introduced. Rules are rules. :c00l:

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, it was a fun little ride reading the comments, since I had YES on both 55-60 and 60-65. There was at least one person already threatening a class action suit before PredictIt even commented on it.

The rules are, from first word to last word spoken into the mic. Official total should be about 60:14.

PredictIt: Technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Chafey
Jun 14, 2005
pretty stoked my 10 bucks on RECORD BREAKING PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE BERNIE SANDERS is now $17.50 :bernget:

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone know how long the Republican response was? I can't find it

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Aliquid posted:

Nevada GOP voters are made up of racists, libertarians and Mormons. Trump sweeping all four is undervalued, good find.

haha cool

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Chafey posted:

pretty stoked my 10 bucks on RECORD BREAKING PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE BERNIE SANDERS is now $17.50 :bernget:

Sell now.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

haha with the gently caress is this

i was going to post my PredictIt shame bet but logged in and realized I put in another buy order while drunk last night. I have a problem and it's not with alcohol, it's with Jeb.

i'm keeping the buy order

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Aliquid posted:

i was going to post my PredictIt shame bet but logged in and realized I put in another buy order while drunk last night. I have a problem and it's not with alcohol, it's with Jeb.

I have 900 shares in the other direction.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

I have 900 shares in the other direction.

that's a poo poo-ton so I feel much better even if I lose every penny

also, if I lose it means the GOPe split itself and everything is going to hell so :toot:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

thethreeman posted:

so, can anyone tell me how Nevada votes? If Trump wins IA, he also wins NH and SC, so why is TRUMP.SWEEP4 YES only 25c, while IACAUCUS16.GOP Trump 39c?

The last NV poll was late Dec, and had Trump +13, but it was by Gravis... Are the discounted SWEEP shares just people thinking that "there's too much time, nobody in NV has made up their minds yet", or "Adelson can swing the whole state"? The latter seems dead wrong to me, given the trends this year, and the former doesn't seem like a risk at all if Trump wins IA and NH.

Do they usually swing establishment, hard-line, evangelical, etc?

I'm sorely tempted by this insane contract. Someone talk some sense into me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Who is Nevada going to go for if not Trump?

Not Cruz. If you think that Rubio, Kasich, or Christie will surge, fine (though more likely in NH, as I see it), but TRUMP.SWEEP4 is definitely undervalued relative to IACAUCUS16.GOP on Trump.

I think it’s a psychological thing. Sweeping the first four seems like an incredible, unprecedented feat, but when looked at step‐by‐step, given an Iowa victory, Trump’s odds become very good.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Not Cruz. If you think that Rubio, Kasich, or Christie will surge, fine (though more likely in NH, as I see it), but TRUMP.SWEEP4 is definitely undervalued relative to IACAUCUS16.GOP on Trump.

I think it’s a psychological thing. Sweeping the first four seems like an incredible, unprecedented feat, but when looked at step‐by‐step, given an Iowa victory, Trump’s odds become very good.

What if consolidation occurs immediately following NH?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vox Nihili posted:

Will the consolidation occur before the market reacts to Trump winning? Unlikely. If you think Trump will win IA and NH but maybe not NV or SC, back out then.

The sweep is calling to me, but I don’t bet on Trump markets.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Aliquid posted:

Dude.... what :psyduck:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah, the schedule goes like this for Republicans:
Iowa - February 1
New Hampshire - February 9
South Carolina - February 20
Nevada - February 23

And for Democrats:
Iowa - February 1
New Hampshire - February 9
Nevada - February 20
South Carolina - February 27

There's a whole 11 days between NH and Republican SC, and another 3 til Republican Nevada.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Aliquid posted:

I bailed out of that market at a loss. But I admire you for doing god's work :patriot:

Prime Sinister
Mar 23, 2005

tony scare

Aliquid posted:

In light of your openness, I too will share my PredictIt shame.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Prime Sinister posted:

In light of your openness, I too will share my PredictIt shame.

I also have 500 shares of Carson winning Iowa at .03.

It feels really stupid but even with that and the Jeb bet I'm still up 300% since June

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Aliquid posted:

I also have 500 shares of Carson winning Iowa at .03.

It feels really stupid but even with that and the Jeb bet I'm still up 300% since June

I was in that Carson one but managed to get out at 2c.

I'm super jealous of ya'll, I didn't find out about this site until after the Biden money was gone.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I have 164 shares of Santorum winning Iowa at .02. That is my story of PredictIt shame.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Thanks for reminding me thread, that I too own Carson YES shares, thankfully I just sold a few after months of waiting for a buyer. Only 335 shares to go...

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
As long as we're sharing our lottery ticket style bets

I'm banking on:

- Jeb finishes third in Iowa by some miracle
- Christie's NH numbers continue to fart out
- Right to Rise offers Christie a few millions to drop out attempting to consolidate his voters
- Christie leaves, but his supporters go to Rubio/Trump anyway
- Jeb asks people to leave the room if this will offend you

edit: Also, Sanders NO for USPrez is easy easy money, a guaranteed 30 cents on every share you take, but will we be able to make that 30 cents after the convention or do you think it'll get to 95-97 after Iowa/NH

pathetic little tramp has issued a correction as of 19:37 on Jan 13, 2016

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

There's this crazy idea that NV Mormons (a huge factor in GOP primaries in that state) will rally behind Rubio because he's an ex-Mormon. This strikes me as insane...if anything it should hurt him with Mormons.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

- Jeb asks people to leave the room if this will offend you

A Jeb suicide would resolve his dropout market as correct, yes?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
ˆˆˆˆ^Santorum drops out just before Jeb pulls the trigger, leading to Jeb even losing at dropping out

Patter Song posted:

There's this crazy idea that NV Mormons (a huge factor in GOP primaries in that state) will rally behind Rubio because he's an ex-Mormon. This strikes me as insane...if anything it should hurt him with Mormons.

Seriously, he knows all the secret passwords to get into Heaven and he can still wear his magic marks to get into the temple veil in heaven.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

pathetic little tramp posted:

edit: Also, Sanders NO for USPrez is easy easy money, a guaranteed 30 cents on every share you take, but will we be able to make that 30 cents after the convention or do you think it'll get to 95-97 after Iowa/NH

These Sanders NO bets will mostly pay off after he gets crushed in South Carolina. After that will be like Biden where you are hanging on for months to squeeze out the last few pennies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yeah I'm happy just selling it off for 95 once he gives up the ghost. I was wary of it at first when I was thinking I'd have to wait until November, but then I realised that derp, he'll be out of it by then.

I've learned it's not enough to know that polls can be swingy, it's important to know who is going to read the most into polls being swingy. A Bernie poll showing him not being completely destroyed is going to inflate his numbers much more than, say, a Christie poll showing him gaining ground because Christie doesn't have groupies.

• Locked thread