Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

I'm feeling really conflicted about my current setup and potentially upgrading it. I use a Carvin V3M, and I feel like the distortion is super fizzy and just not very good. I also just don't like its cleans or its reverb or the cabinet that goes with it, or really anything about it. For a long time, I told myself that I wanted to replace it with a Mesa Triaxis/Stereo 2:Fifty combo, but when I finally got the funds to buy it, I couldn't bring myself to hit checkout. For one, the main reason I wanted the aforementioned replacement was because I wanted to use stereo effects. But having used an Axe-FX and played around with stereo, I can't help but feel like that effort is futile. For one, it pretty severely limits the options you have for effects, but also it's only kind of useful in recording context for delays, tremolos, and maybe reverbs. So then why do I need that complicated of an amp? Maybe I'd be fine with Mark V:25 or a PRS Archon. But then I wouldn't have the middle overdrive channel that I don't really use on my V3M, and I wouldn't be able to switch with MIDI like I don't do currently but think would be interesting?

I always rag on people who buy trucks "in case they need to move something" even though they're like software developers because they're spending more money than necessary on poo poo they don't immediately need in the fear that they might one day, but how is my guitar setup any different? Someone just please make this decision for me so that I don't have to and can blame you when I become dissatisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Keep the V3M, buy a second amp. If you like the new thing and find yourself not touching the V3M for six months at a time, get rid of the V3M.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I found out I have a serious thing for the Music Man Armada.

The price, not so much.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Taylors generally sounded bland to me: decent instruments, but didn't inspire me. Maybe I looked at the wrong ones. I do have one of their baritones, and it's a lot of fun.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

The price, not so much.

Dang, Music Man used to be really lefty-friendly, I have a big soft spot for them because I owned a Silhouette Special for almost 15 years... But all of their cool new models are righty only :(

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Hedningen posted:

Man, might as well hop on the gear bandwagon

Squire Strat: First instrument, and I scalloped the fretboard when I was a teenager, back when I thought Yngvie Malmsteen was someone to emulate. Still kinda fun to mess with.

The Yngwie "pile" technique is way less impressive when you don't own 30 cream coloured Strats.

:3:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

syntaxfunction posted:

The price, not so much.

To be fair though MM instruments are flawlessly built with the best components. Very expensive but by a logical standard you're getting a high quality guitar with no real cheap areas. I have to give them a lot of credit for that considering what some companies are willing to pull.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
MMs are like Parker Fly. I'm sure they're well-made and feel great but man do they look doofy.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

A Silhouette Special (the model I used to have) is what, 1500 bucks? That's a very good deal considering the quality you're getting. I have a sneaking suspicion that G&L guitars are a similar story, but I haven't played one yet.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Captain Apollo posted:

I can't believe I'm not seeing many taylor acoustics. Are they frowned upon here? I absolutely adore mine, but I got a 'weird' one (mahogany). Mine IRL is about 3 shades darker than the promo pictures.

I walked into the store intending to buy a Martin 000 but I couldn't stop playing the Taylor.....

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/320e

Taylor makes awesome guitars.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
My wife threatened to kill me if I buy another guitar ( "What are you, Slash?! FORGET IT" ), but I discovered my in-law's have an old Fender Squire from when they were kids that is in rough shape. So I'm going to take it out from under the stairs, re-string it ( they are rusted ), and then use it as my "alternate tuning" guitar! :unsmith:

This all came about because I wanted to try my hand at something way beyond my level and learn some old In Flames songs, and I was getting annoyed because I was following the tabs 100% and it sounded off. Turns out most of Whoracle ( maybe all of them? ) is in C Standard so you know, no poo poo. I tried dropping down to that but my current strings ( basic d'addario 10/46's ) sound like poo poo and felt like wet noodles at that tuning.

SO what is a good set of strings for going down to C Standard? Ernie Ball slinky's?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
probably 12-56

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TollTheHounds posted:

My wife threatened to kill me if I buy another guitar ( "What are you, Slash?! FORGET IT" ), but I discovered my in-law's have an old Fender Squire from when they were kids that is in rough shape. So I'm going to take it out from under the stairs, re-string it ( they are rusted ), and then use it as my "alternate tuning" guitar! :unsmith:

This all came about because I wanted to try my hand at something way beyond my level and learn some old In Flames songs, and I was getting annoyed because I was following the tabs 100% and it sounded off. Turns out most of Whoracle ( maybe all of them? ) is in C Standard so you know, no poo poo. I tried dropping down to that but my current strings ( basic d'addario 10/46's ) sound like poo poo and felt like wet noodles at that tuning.

SO what is a good set of strings for going down to C Standard? Ernie Ball slinky's?

Try some of these for C standard.

http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-EXL1...27addario+11-52

Edit: These are also a nice gauge but that plain 3rd fuckin sucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Ernie-Ball-Sl...trings+electric

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

muike posted:

probably 12-56

Spanish Manlove posted:

Try some of these for C standard.

http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-EXL1...27addario+11-52

Edit: These are also a nice gauge but that plain 3rd fuckin sucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Ernie-Ball-Sl...trings+electric

Not to start a race-war here but what is the difference between Ernie Ball & d'Addario ( or any other brand ) if the strings are the same gauge? ( 11-52/12-56 )

I like the idea of just having a "go to" brand but I don't know if all the brands are the same when it comes to a basic round/nickel wound string of varying gauges ( I'm not counting "special"/premium strings like a NYXL or whatever ).

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

TollTheHounds posted:

I use a D'addario 12-60 set on the guitar I keep tuned to D/C and thereabouts.

TollTheHounds posted:

Not to start a race-war here but what is the difference between Ernie Ball & d'Addario ( or any other brand ) if the strings are the same gauge? ( 11-52/12-56 )

I like the idea of just having a "go to" brand but I don't know if all the brands are the same when it comes to a basic round/nickel wound string of varying gauges ( I'm not counting "special"/premium strings like a NYXL or whatever ).

Personal preference, mostly. Some people swear by Brand A and can't stand others, and others will say Brand A is absolute garbage that goes dead as soon as you breathe on them.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 11, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TollTheHounds posted:

Of those two sets, the Ernie Ball ones have a plain 3rd (G) string and a 24p feels like one of these things on the inside of your finger when you're trying to do a bar chord.

As to brand preference? I dunno, just a superstitious thing built up over the years. My friend swears by Ernie Ball while I find they die in an afternoon. He hates D'Addario while they're pretty much all I ever use. However both of us agree that DR are the best, but are far too expensive. Like I said, it's just superstition.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I have used every major brand and have a box full of whatever is the best bang for buck at GC at the time. Honestly, all of the major manufacturers make decent strings. The only way I pay up is for elixirs, mainly on acoustic, because gently caress changing acoustic strings. I have tried NYXLs on multiple occasions as well, and I am not sure what makes them worth 2x the price.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
How does the Fender Mustang I compare, tone-wise, to the Peavey Vypyr VIP-1 (because the Peavey obviously wins as far as having a wicked awesome name goes.)

I have the latter and like it, as an apartment-dwelling baddie/permanent beginner. I've read that the Fender might have better clean and OD tones, though, and saw that a local pawn shop has one listed online pretty cheap. Does the lack of WYSIWYG on the Fender's knobs get annoying?

Also, anyone have any experience with one of these Wangs 1-watt heads? Some positive impressions on YouTube, although not very many of them. They're dirt cheap ($150) for all-tube, although I guess even 1 watt would be too much to crank in a thin-walled apartment?

marshalljim fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 11, 2016

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I just ordered a bunch of different types just to see what the differences are and what my preferences are, seemed like the best way to figure out what I like instead of just sticking with what I use right now ( regular d'addario 10-46 exl ).

There are SO MANY types of strings though and very little explanation as to what their use-case is with the exception of a few where the commenters specifically say "Love this for Jazz" or whatever. So I guess I'll see how much money I wasted.

Bought 10-46 "balanced tension", 10-46 "half round" ( less noise when finger sliding for a newb that is very often finger sliding seems like a good idea, maybe useless? feel weird? no idea ), 11-52's for downtuning, 12-60's for going really low.

[edit] I spent way too long down this rabbit hole, I had no idea there was any different string types other than gauge-size and round/flat. :psyduck:

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 11, 2016

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I got a big multi-pack of 9's because my strat came with 9's and I have literally just run out. I'm more interested in gauge changes than manufacturers but I guess you get a feel for quality/etc. - I want to try some Billy Gibbons 0.007's for example.

With regard to string noise, I think that is a particular trait of beginner musicians: 'OH GOD NOISE IS COMING WHEN I DON'T WANT IT TO AND EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE poo poo'. I know when I started to learn on acoustic I would be very worried that someone would overhear my out of tempo, out of tune bonging noise and think I was a complete idiot and string noise didn't help that cacophony at all. My step-dad plays with his EQ down for everything except bass to 'hide' his imperfections as he learns. Of course he can't be told that everyone starts of poo poo and nobody really cares as long as you're not going for your tenth run-through of Wonderwall..

Speaking of run-throughs: Should I even bother to learn specific fingerings and notes in Kirk Hammett's solos? I'm working through Unforgiven and Enter Sandman and both are relatively simple until he starts going spastic up the dusty end, and since I know the principles I can easily apply them myself. I'm not sure if there's any value in playing it as-written particularly for him since it appears he just wings it most of the time.

Also my amp is amazing thank you all for your kind help, I just went and ordered a power plant and a HoF Mini to get my TS/Fuzz/Reverb action going.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Southern Heel posted:

Speaking of run-throughs: Should I even bother to learn specific fingerings and notes in Kirk Hammett's solos?

Nope.

All you need is your trusty wah and minor pentatonic to guide you.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Huh, I just watched a video on the CAGED method and it's kinda the way I learned modes and how to convert them but with chords (or arpeggios I guess) instead of every single note in the scale. I'm so glad that I'm only a little bit crazy.

So yeah I suggest you new guys look into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhrGeolItvw&t=160s

The bit at 5:00 is how I cheat at "knowing" every mode/scale in the diatonic system. For harmonic minor, melodic minor, and any exotic scale I just take the diatonic I'm used to the most (aeolian) and augment it a bit.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
My rondo order arrived, a tele clone. I've been playing a classical for the past 4 months, compared to the fat silky strings on my classical, the electrical strings are like razor wire! Amp head is arriving tomorrow, so i don't know how it sounds yet. Pleasantly surprised to mostly be able to fingerstyle the electric :banjo:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Earlier in the thread we talked about building guitars. I thought about it and promptly forgot about it because I'm terrible.

I went to the coffees hop the other day and saw a red tele on the wall. Under it was a sign on how to join the local Wood Arts Studio where they hold a master class on how to build a guitar.

Needless to say I put down my tuition immediately (750). I'll report back as I go!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Having a Bad Tone Day.
How the hell do I go about fiddling with amp/pedal settings to get a nice sound, like what knobs do I adjust first?
Of course this is a completely subjective and unanswerable question but gently caress.
I guess everything sounds... I dunno, muddy? Especially with OD/distortion.
MIM Tele, Line 6 Spider IV 75 (which I'm not in love with but it's the one I'm borrowing) and some Visual Sound pedals (H2O, Jekyll & Hyde).
Could chalk it up to a bad amp or guitar but sometimes it sounds totally fine and I never know how to maintain that.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Put guitar down and do something else for a while, esp. if 'it sounds fine' other times - everyone has poo poo days.

Alternatively, try:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o

Andertons shipped me a brand new 6m coily cable when I showed them a picture of what their 3m coily cable looked like:

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

Earlier in the thread we talked about building guitars. I thought about it and promptly forgot about it because I'm terrible.

I went to the coffees hop the other day and saw a red tele on the wall. Under it was a sign on how to join the local Wood Arts Studio where they hold a master class on how to build a guitar.

Needless to say I put down my tuition immediately (750). I'll report back as I go!

Enjoy it, I did a course earlier in the year and built an acoustic guitar. Well worth it.

Hi dog

Got a few pictures here

And a gallery of the build that is incomplete because I got a new phone a few weeks through the course here here

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

Andertons shipped me a brand new 6m coily cable when I showed them a picture of what their 3m coily cable looked like:

A mournful cable

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
6m*

*uncoiled, 10cm coiled

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The most powerful coiling.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I put flat wound jazz lights on the rondo-tele-clone to make it easier on my delicate fingers for finger-stylin'. The bases feel better against my thumbmeat, but the trebles still tear up my nails to the point that I can hear it on the classical. I guess I'll shelf the idea of fingerstyling electric and learn to pick!

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

Barnyard Protein posted:

I put flat wound jazz lights on the rondo-tele-clone to make it easier on my delicate fingers for finger-stylin'. The bases feel better against my thumbmeat, but the trebles still tear up my nails to the point that I can hear it on the classical. I guess I'll shelf the idea of fingerstyling electric and learn to pick!

Yeah. That's always a tough one, and something I deal with semi-frequently. I can get away with a bit of unprotected electric fingerstyle without it chewing up my nails, but too much and it's not great.

One thing you can do is put tape (scotch or electric or whatever the hell else) over your nails, as described by David Russell here: http://www.davidrussellguitar.com/index.php/home/tips-for-guitarists/121-saving-the-nails

World class guitarist, even better visual artist.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Barnyard Protein posted:

Could be mistaken, but with steel strings I believe you are encouraged to use the pads of your fingers instead of the nails, lest you might break your nails. Or maybe you could just use an actual nail as a pick. Cause that sounds totally metal!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gripen5 posted:

Could be mistaken, but with steel strings I believe you encouraged to use the pads of your fingers instead of the nails, lest you might break your nails. Or maybe you could just use an actual nail as a pick. Cause that sounds totally metal!

I actually do that with the nail on my right index finger when I'm noodling on an unfamiliar guitar at a store sometimes and don't have a pick in my pocket. It works well enough to get a feel for the neck and similar but I wouldn't say it exactly sounds good.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

Gripen5 posted:

Could be mistaken, but with steel strings I believe you are encouraged to use the pads of your fingers instead of the nails, lest you might break your nails. Or maybe you could just use an actual nail as a pick. Cause that sounds totally metal!

I do this all the time with my index nail (classical guitar nails), and it's not nearly as metal as you think. Or I am just way cooler than I know. Edit: Or you're talking about a disembodied nail, which I think is both gross and slightly metal.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I use pads on the up stroke and nails downwards, works well and I get a bit of both worlds
Oh god why does this sound so wrong when I read it

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I actually meant the type of nail your drive in with a hammer. The rustier the better.

Edit: I need an editor.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's not uncommon for me to use my nails on an electric in a more flamenco sort of way. I'll pick the bass notes with my thumbmeat and strum with the back of my nails all together, kind of like flicking them. It's not really something you can do with metal or punkish stuff, but it works pretty well on the boozier or bluesier things.

Shugojin posted:

I actually do that with the nail on my right index finger when I'm noodling on an unfamiliar guitar at a store sometimes and don't have a pick in my pocket. It works well enough to get a feel for the neck and similar but I wouldn't say it exactly sounds good.

I'll do this sometimes for soloing too. Once you get used to it, you can do some really expressive things tonally. You can work in really subtle shades of pinch harmonics.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

firebad57 posted:

Yeah. That's always a tough one, and something I deal with semi-frequently. I can get away with a bit of unprotected electric fingerstyle without it chewing up my nails, but too much and it's not great.

One thing you can do is put tape (scotch or electric or whatever the hell else) over your nails, as described by David Russell here: http://www.davidrussellguitar.com/index.php/home/tips-for-guitarists/121-saving-the-nails

World class guitarist, even better visual artist.

Awesome!! I will try this, thanks!

Gripen5 posted:

lmbo :unsmigghh:

It looks like I've got 4 coke nails, no way I can pad only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

sout posted:

Having a Bad Tone Day.
How the hell do I go about fiddling with amp/pedal settings to get a nice sound, like what knobs do I adjust first?
Of course this is a completely subjective and unanswerable question but gently caress.
I guess everything sounds... I dunno, muddy? Especially with OD/distortion.
MIM Tele, Line 6 Spider IV 75 (which I'm not in love with but it's the one I'm borrowing) and some Visual Sound pedals (H2O, Jekyll & Hyde).
Could chalk it up to a bad amp or guitar but sometimes it sounds totally fine and I never know how to maintain that.

Change yer strings.