Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Can anyone recommend extension tubes for the 5D Mk3 mount? Firstly, I want some that will allow my Sigma 150-500 to go "farther" (i.e., 700mm-1000mm) if at all possible
I've found that my Tamron 150-600mm doesn't even resolve any additional detail when going from 400mm to 600mm. So, if you want more range, you could crop in post for free, or put the lens on a cheap crop sensor body for the same price as a 1.4x teleconverter and get the same increase in frame-fillage but without the autofocus penalty. With all three of those methods, you don't gain any more detail (your sensor already out-resolves the lens), but I recommend just cropping since it's free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Can anyone recommend extension tubes for the 5D Mk3 mount? Firstly, I want some that will allow my Sigma 150-500 to go "farther" (i.e., 700mm-1000mm) if at all possible, and I'd also like something that would allow my Zeiss 35mm to operate as a macro. I don't know anything about these, but I just want more flexibility with my existing lenses.

Note that apart from the resolution concerns making a teleconverter pointleiss, the sigma also has an open f/stop of 6.3 (reported to the camera as 5.6 in software so autofocus works), which will turn into f/9 (reported as f8, probably?), making this lens really really dark so you won't reasonably handhold it anymore, IS or no.
As extension tubes, get the Kenko ones for great quality at a price that's still kinda high but not completely ridiculous like the canon original extension tubes. On a 35mm lens, your working distance will be sort of low though, there's a reason most macros are 100mm-ish and very few are below 50mm.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

While walking by some tide pools, my shorty forty took a tumble from my pocket and became briefly, but fully, submerged in salt water. I have it in a bag of rice right now and will leave it there for at least 48 hours, but how likely is it that this thing is hosed?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

suboptimal posted:

While walking by some tide pools, my shorty forty took a tumble from my pocket and became briefly, but fully, submerged in salt water. I have it in a bag of rice right now and will leave it there for at least 48 hours, but how likely is it that this thing is hosed?

Did you rinse it out in distilled water before you went and stuck it in the rice to dry? If not, I wouldn't risk it now - there's probably mineral deposit already on electrical contact points that has started to dry on, and you could short something supplying power to the lens.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I rinsed it off in purified water as quickly as I could and now it's in a bag of rice. I'm prepared for the possibility that it's wrecked, but I'm not taking it out of that bag for at least a few days.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

suboptimal posted:

I rinsed it off in purified water as quickly as I could and now it's in a bag of rice. I'm prepared for the possibility that it's wrecked, but I'm not taking it out of that bag for at least a few days.

Yeah, it may still be wrecked, but at least if you rinsed it in distilled (not sure if that's what you mean by purified) it's less likely to ruin your camera also. It has to be distilled water though - anything else will have mineral content in it.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah, regular bottled water for drinking and especially tap & even brita-filtered water have minerals in them to varying degrees - the shorty forty is a shame to lose but it ain't exactly an expensive lens and its probably better to be safe than sorry.

Comedy option, once it's dry & clean go to a pawn shop and ask to try out the lens on a camera they have 'to see if it's compatible' before using it on your own. (Don't actually do this unless you're prepared to pay for what you break.)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah, regular bottled water for drinking and especially tap & even brita-filtered water have minerals in them to varying degrees - the shorty forty is a shame to lose but it ain't exactly an expensive lens and its probably better to be safe than sorry.

Comedy option, once it's dry & clean go to a pawn shop and ask to try out the lens on a camera they have 'to see if it's compatible' before using it on your own. (Don't actually do this unless you're prepared to pay for what you break.)

Brita filters add a black sediment to water so it's probably adding more than taking away. It just makes it taste nicer.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
So my 16 month old 6D threw an err 20 before Christmas. I sent it in and apparently it's not fixable. New one on the way. Thanks Squaretrade!

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
So the 40D I bought from a goon (thanks by the way, great camera,) is starting to have issues, (The tokina lens broke and I got it fixed), and I might as well upgrade. So because full frame would mean tossing out half of my lenses, I'm looking for a modern replacement for my 40D, What's the current replacement for the 40D looking like.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This is a good place to start. I almost always go here when I'm thinking, "hey I wonder how much better the current version of my camera is than mine", because there is always a better camera :smith:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos40d&products=canon_eos70d

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Ryand-Smith posted:

So the 40D I bought from a goon (thanks by the way, great camera,) is starting to have issues, (The tokina lens broke and I got it fixed), and I might as well upgrade. So because full frame would mean tossing out half of my lenses, I'm looking for a modern replacement for my 40D, What's the current replacement for the 40D looking like.

70D or 7D(2) if you are really into sports photography.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

If Canon is coming out with a new 1DX this year, when would they most likely announce it? I don't really know when the big shows happen but I think Nikon just did some big reveal so I'm curious if Canon is going to as well soon.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The next big expo type thing is CP+ in late February so possibly then

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Canon Rumors says the 1DX II is shipping in April, so expect an announcement in Feb or March.

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii-coming-in-april-2016-cr3/

People like to scoff at rumor sites, but he doesn't mark things as [CR3] lightly. He's pretty much always right when he does.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Oh wow, I thought they usually announced stuff much earlier to drum up hype. April really isn't far off.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

Oh wow, I thought they usually announced stuff much earlier to drum up hype. April really isn't far off.

Sometimes they do. I know the 1DX had a much bigger gap between announcement and shipping, but I think that was because they were having issues with the final touches.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Popelmon posted:

70D or 7D(2) if you are really into sports photography.

The 70D is a great camera. If you are upgrading from a 40D, you are going to love the articulating LCD on the back.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
I sold off some useless crap, and a second body I never use. Funds will be going to an ultra wide zoom. I can afford the following, anyone care to recommend, I couldn't find info on them all at DxO, or DPReview?

Used Tamron 15-30 Di VC (heaviest, largest)
New Tokina 16-28 (cheapest)
Used Canon 17-35mm f2.8 L (oldest)
Used Canon 16-35 2.8 L

Thanks

e. Wrong Tokina lens.

[ts]xenophobe fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 13, 2016

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="454910694"]
I sold off some useless crap, and a second body I never use. Funds will be going to an ultra wide zoom. I can afford the following, anyone care to recommend, I couldn't find info on them all at DxO, or DPReview?

Used Tamron 15-30 Di VC (heaviest, largest)
New Tokina 12-28 (cheapest)
Used Canon 17-35mm f2.8 L (oldest)
Used Canon 16-35 2.8 L

Thanks

I was gonna say the Canon 16-35, but then I realized that you might not be buying for a full frame? Pretty sure that Tokina is for crop bodies. In which case, 16/17 mm doesn't get you a ton more on the wide end than a kit lens...

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Shellman posted:

I was gonna say the Canon 16-35, but then I realized that you might not be buying for a full frame? Pretty sure that Tokina is for crop bodies. In which case, 16/17 mm doesn't get you a ton more on the wide end than a kit lens...

Should have put that in there. I have a 6D it'll be going on, so, full frame.

e. Also, it was the wrong Tokina

[ts]xenophobe fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 13, 2016

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="454912587"]
Should have put that in there. I have a 6D it'll be going on, so, full frame.

e. Also, it was the wrong Tokina

Have you considered going completely goofy and getting a Sigma 12-24? :v:

If it were me, and I could afford L glass, I'd buy L glass--the 16-35. 1mm is a bigger difference than you'd think at the wide end, and it's apparently an improvement over the 17-35.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Shellman posted:

Have you considered going completely goofy and getting a Sigma 12-24? :v:

1mm is a bigger difference than you'd think at the wide end, and it's apparently an improvement over the 17-35.

This.

Its at the long end that numbers start to matter less i.e., 400 vs 500mm.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

According to our friends at dxomark the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM gets a better sharpness score than the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM. In their graph it's a bit soft at f2.8 but they're probably the same at f4...

Or just get a canon 11-24

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

KinkyJohn posted:

According to our friends at dxomark the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM gets a better sharpness score than the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM. In their graph it's a bit soft at f2.8 but they're probably the same at f4...

Far corners are better on the f/4 even when you're stopped down to f/8 on both lenses. Depends how much you care about peeping level corner sharpness - the IS is a nice bonus too.

Edit: Significantly so at the wide end, it evens up a bit stopped down at the longer end (after 20mm)

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 13, 2016

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

KinkyJohn posted:

The 11-24 and 16-35L I are out of my price range.

KinkyJohn posted:

My only concern with the f4 is whether it will be ok indoors shooting crowds in low light, otherwise that would probably be my choice.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="454929737"]

My only concern with the f4 is whether it will be ok indoors shooting crowds in low light, otherwise that would probably be my choice.

Well, you'd have to try shooting at f4 in your usual conditions with another lens and see if you can deal with it or not. @2.8 you will still have a good amount of DOF for like a posed group shot, but maybe not so much for a dispersed crowd shot (depending on your output size of course, and what you actually want covered in there)

Lot of variables to take into consideration for your needs

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="454929737"]

It's 1 stop. And you have a 6d. Also keep in mind that you are shooting with a hugely wide focal length...

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Even though I've been a Canon guy forever and kinda hate spec talk, is there any way the next round of Canon pro body announcements keep up with the D5?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Piquai Souban posted:

Even though I've been a Canon guy forever and kinda hate spec talk, is there any way the next round of Canon pro body announcements keep up with the D5?
Out of curiosity, what is the D5 offering over the D4? Aside from some revamped AF system and 4k video I don't really see anything in the reviews I've read that indicates that it's a significant upgrade.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
1DX Mk II coming in spring-early summer. 22 MP with a claimed theoretical 15 stops of DR.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Seamonster posted:

1DX Mk II coming in spring-early summer. 22 MP with a claimed theoretical 15 stops of DR.

They said this about the C300Mk2 also, and submitted their methodology for the claim to cinema5d. It turns out their definition of "usable SNR" is much much more lax than everyone else in the entire industry pretty much.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

timrenzi574 posted:

They said this about the C300Mk2 also, and submitted their methodology for the claim to cinema5d. It turns out their definition of "usable SNR" is much much more lax than everyone else in the entire industry pretty much.

That's not really a fair thing to say when you consider also at least RED (including the Dragon sensor), Panasonic, AJA and Blackmagic have flunked out usable DR tests made by Cinema5D or Geoff Boyle in very similar fashion. Some being really jarring like Dragon sensor (claimed 16+ stops) rating at 10 stops under tungsten light (CML test) and AJA Cion rating 8 stops (claimed 12 stops) at Cinema5D. Pretty much every manufacturer outside of Arri exaggerates their DR claims.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

A smug sociopath posted:

That's not really a fair thing to say when you consider also at least RED (including the Dragon sensor), Panasonic, AJA and Blackmagic have flunked out usable DR tests made by Cinema5D or Geoff Boyle in very similar fashion. Some being really jarring like Dragon sensor (claimed 16+ stops) rating at 10 stops under tungsten light (CML test) and AJA Cion rating 8 stops (claimed 12 stops) at Cinema5D. Pretty much every manufacturer outside of Arri exaggerates their DR claims.

I should have specified - I meant what independents testing sensor DR (Cinema5d, IMATEST, DXO, Bill Claff, etc) are using as an acceptable noise threshold, rather than manufacturers. You are absolutely right that most of the video manufacturers are exaggerating in the same way Canon is. The industry was a poor choice of terms for me to use

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

A smug sociopath posted:

Also, from what I recall the Canon performed as well as Sony sensors in the DR tests. So if that translates to stills, the 1DX II should be a great camera indeed.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Also, from what I recall the Canon performed as well as Sony sensors in the DR tests. So if that translates to stills, the 1DX II should be a great camera indeed.

Keep in mind that's sony S-LOG video being measured, not the RAW performance you get from stills. (Although the same thing for Canon - C-LOG vs RAW)

Canon hasn't trumpeted that the C3002 sensor had an on chip ADC, or independent gain on pixels (a la ML dual ISO) , and you'd think if Canon finally made one of those huge jumps they would shout about it.

Plus the A7 cameras they were measuring in that test are hampered by only having 8 bit video output vs the 10 bit output of the C3002 & Alexa. The sony FS7 was also tested, is 10 bit and still didn't do that much better though (3/4 of a stop or something like that I think)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is this the right thread to ask about Magic Lantern on a T3i? I'm trying to mess around with video a bit, but I only have a passing knowledge about how to do stuff.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
What do you want to know? I use it a bunch on my T5i.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Confirmation of 1DX II specs:

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii-known-specifications/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Below is what we think are some of the confirmed specifications...

Are they confirmed or not?