Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Moartoast posted:

This is the weird thing though, BF4 took so long to get its poo poo together because it was busted in almost every way imaginable on launch, like to the point where nobody expected it to ever turn around and be an actually decent game, and Hardline had the problem of appealing to basically nobody, being released at a really lovely time for its quarter-assed attempt at a theme and just had no idea what to do with itself in any way.

Battlefront released at an extremely opportune time for its brand with loud and clear plans for (kinda) long-term support, and it's like the least fundamentally-busted thing :dice: has released since probably BC2??? It just has a handful of extremely lovely balance decisions that gently caress with an otherwise decent fun casual shooter core, and like the poster above said, they're small tweaks that nearly everyone but the biggest shitbabies want.

My guess is there's been an unfortunate executive decision to hold off on any balance passes or proper patches until the first real DLC, releasing one big patch rather than a few little ones to fix up smaller things. Problem is, those "smaller things" are real bad for the game as a whole, the first pack's probably a month away or more, and these issues are driving a load of people away from the game entirely.

I mean, poo poo, I've barely booted it up in the past few weeks, even though I really do have more fun than i've had with a multiplayer shooter in years when the game clicks, but it clicks less and less as the community at large figures out the Bafflingly Broken Bullshit.

It's because the game has less depth than any battlefield/battlefront title than has ever come before. As stupid as it sounds I'd much rather have static vehicle spawns that people hop into and roam around blowing poo poo up than have these godawful tokens/walkers that can't be controlled et al et al. If that means they have to "Invent" rebel vehicles out of whole cloth the same way they did in previous battlefront titles: I'm fine with that. Honestly.

As bad as BF4 launch was, there was a core of a good game in there, and so kept peoples interest. That core really doesn't exist in this game, it feels almost like a step backwards in shootymans complexity, it's definitely a step backwards in battlefront games, so people are abandoning it.

I mean everything feels just half or even quarter assed, from the weapons to the powerups to the spawns. The "Hand system" is far worse than the class systems we had previous.

I will say they did a top notch job in making things feel cinematic, but at the expense of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Poe isn't white?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Spanish Manlove posted:

Poe isn't white?

I believe his color is "Olive Dream".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Poe isn't white?
Oscar Isaac is Guatemalan. If I didn't know that I'd have thought he was white. He was Prince John in that not very good Robin Hood adaptation.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah this game is absolutely tanking on PC. And even consoles show wear now. They need to balance/patch it ASAP. But then again they already have the money so they won't bother.

Battlefront posted:

PC: 9,725 (24h peak: 12,223)

XBOXONE: 50,585 (24h peak: 61,166)

PS4: 82,415 (24h peak: 90,312)

Total: 142,725

and for comparison:

Battlefield4 posted:

PC: 27,795 (Peak 24h 35,458)

XBOXONE: 19,634 (Peak 24h 20,624)

PS4: 32,516 (Peak 24h 34,707)

I wish there was a Eurogoon presence in this. It just sucks to be alone on a team that is incapable of doing poo poo all. This is aggravated by no voice chat in-game. So even if you want to team up with pubbies it is so hard to accomplish.

I am getting too old for his poo poo. This may well be the last "objective based" multiplayer game I bought, unless there already is a goon presence.
Seeing all these mouthbreathers being incapable to even grasp how to PTFO in a game as shallow and casual as this makes me wonder how the average pubbie survives the day without suffocating because they forget how to breath in and out.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Pubbies or not, people aren't "bad" at this game. People just don't care.

They want a game with Star Wars in it that you can go PEW PEW with lasers, and that's what they got. There's no point in tactics or effort or trying to win, because PEW PEW IMMA HANS SOLO.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If you've ever played any Battlefield game its the exact same thing. This is nothing new. Random pubbies don't work well together in any game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

If you've ever played any Battlefield game its the exact same thing. This is nothing new. Random pubbies don't work well together in any game.

That's part of the charm of Battlefield, really. Sometimes the funnest matches are when you manage to win despite your team being silly.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Ginette Reno posted:

Is there any trick to dogfighting well in this? I'm really good at pretty much all aspects of the game now but that. I can absolutely rack up the kills strafing people in any kind of fighter, but I still tend to lose more 1v1 fighter v fighter dogfights than I'd like.

It seems like if someone gets on you it's super hard to shake them, and almost impossible if they're any good.

Maybe that's just how the game is, I dunno. Whenever I get the drop on someone in a fighter they usually can't get me off them even if they try every maneuver known to man and likewise whenever a halfway decent pilot starts chasing me I'm hosed no matter what I try.

The trouble is you don't have to shake anybody. You just evade long enough for some other A-Wing to show up and blow you out of the sky while the guy who's dogging you shoots everything he has at you and apparently never hits you ever goddammit just let me get these TIE kills to beat the challenge without getting immediately killed by A-WINGS GODDAMMIT

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

I know. I put 600 hours into BF4. Not even 10 of those hours were without a goon team. There was a strong presence of eurogoons there. Hence I did not have to rely on pubbies.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I will admit to being the terrible pubbie who doesn't know what the gently caress because I don't really ~get~ the game, and while I want to get better at it I am a little overwhelmed at where to start in terms of what to unlock card and item wise, how to unlock it, what strats I might want to use to, like, hit people....I dunno, it sounds dumb and "I'm bad at videogames" but I get in and there's a ton of poo poo going on and it's really, really, REALLY easy to just go "this is confusing oh well PEW PEW PEW yay I shot someone" or just fly around taking in the scenery and blowing up folks and having some Crimson's Skies fun because I don't think I've ever really played a Battlefield in my life.

That was a great run on sentence :v:

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get beyond that lovely pubby pew pew pew leap? Because I want to! I know I need to play more, but what SHOULD I be doing, in everyone's opinion, to get better?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
^^^

Well, every mode except for Blast and Fighter Squadron has a clear objective. In most cases highlighted by a huge mark on the map (that will sometimes block your vision when in a fighter). Try to reach and play/defend this objective.

As for loadout. Some people sperm out to the max about guns and card combos. The real advice is this: use what works for your playstyle in a given situation. Only you can find out what combo exactly that is.

My only suggestion is to create and save several hands and use the 2 that are best for the current map. (E.g. indoor hand, anti vehicle hand, outdoor hand with jetpack)
1 of which should probably include an ion torpedo if you play supremacy or WA.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

motoh posted:

So I took a gander at the official forums to see if there's any news on when I can have more than one hand saved.

It's really never a good sign when the only official staff interaction is a thread titled 'we are listening,' is it?

Yeah you're doing something wrong. I had the same issue, but while piddling around in one of the card sub menus I noticed where it said something about use button (something) to set second hand. That fixed the problem of showing my default hand in both spots where you can reset weapons/hands during reincarnation. I wish I remembered the details, but it was somewhere in the card menus while outside of a match.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Figure out where the air powerups are, win air superiority, camp the opposing spawn and watch everyone rage out because you keep killing them as they spawn in.

When the A-wings show up, give up in the air if you're Imperial until the Walker attack phase, if you're good then you can blow up the remaining A-wings, gain superiority and have an invincible Tie fighter that rolls around blowing up speeders.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Ginette Reno posted:

Is there any trick to dogfighting well in this? I'm really good at pretty much all aspects of the game now but that. I can absolutely rack up the kills strafing people in any kind of fighter, but I still tend to lose more 1v1 fighter v fighter dogfights than I'd like.

It seems like if someone gets on you it's super hard to shake them, and almost impossible if they're any good.

Maybe that's just how the game is, I dunno. Whenever I get the drop on someone in a fighter they usually can't get me off them even if they try every maneuver known to man and likewise whenever a halfway decent pilot starts chasing me I'm hosed no matter what I try.

This was bugging me too. I've been having more luck shaking off pursuers by turning more gently. I had been just cutting hard on the stick and rapidly changing direction, but the turning radius is so tight I think you just end up squirreling around spastically without leaving the other guys field of view. I may be wrong, but I seem to be getting out of the crosshairs more often by looping out a little further while turning.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
wtf? so nobody plays this game, there's no server browser, you can't see how many people are playing which modes, and you can't chat in the lobby?

edit: got my refund.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 13, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Frankenstyle posted:

This was bugging me too. I've been having more luck shaking off pursuers by turning more gently. I had been just cutting hard on the stick and rapidly changing direction, but the turning radius is so tight I think you just end up squirreling around spastically without leaving the other guys field of view. I may be wrong, but I seem to be getting out of the crosshairs more often by looping out a little further while turning.

Speed control definitely seems key. I've had some success lately as well by climbing high into the sky and gently changing direction this way and that every time someone chases me. Either pop speed in a Tie Fighter and do it or pop shield in X/A wing and do it. Then if they're still on me after all that I usually dive back down and then use the loop evasion. That's often confused people enough to get them off me unless they're an ace pilot.

Still don't last very long in a Tie Fighter though, but that's because even flying like that it's incredibly hard to deal with A-Wings. Even X-Wings are a bitch.

And a lot of times whatever pub team I'm on gets demoralized after a few deaths in the air and then they stop even trying to get in the Ties. Then it's just me 1v3 rebel pilots and even if they suck that's hard to deal with. Imperials really need to make a concerted effort on Walker Assault to keep some air up. Occasionally just because of my persistence I last into the third phase in a Tie-Fighter and then if I'm lucky enough to kill their A-Wings I can spend all of phase 3 shooting down speeders and strafing the hell out of rebel ground. That can make such a big difference, especially on a map like Sullust where killing the turrets is a requirement.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
If you're against A-Wings just give up the air and pelt them with ion torpedos to stop them going after the AT-STs, it's seriously not worth spending all your time in a Tie when you're unlikely to kill more than one.

But if you do need to get in the air against strong opposition then a good tactic is to pick up the powerup, fire off an ion torpedo at a ship in the air and then activate your powerup. That way your opponent can't spawnkill you without being hit by your torpedo. This is /usually/ how I manage A-wing kills in a Tie.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
TIE fighters: the only winning move is not to play.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah I definitely do just say gently caress it and ignore them in phase 2 a lot. It's just so annoying to watch the A-Wings have complete free reign. That can singlehandedly lose Imperial teams the game. It's not all that fun but at least when I repeatedly chase them down they have to think about me rather than getting a ton of infantry/at-st kills.

It's only worth trying if other players are getting in the Ties too though. If it's just you then you're just gonna spawn and instantly die.

I do think like I said that it can be worth it to grab a Tie powerup just before round 2 is ending. Then go alt-whore and hope that your team has managed to shoot down the A-wings.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah I definitely do just say gently caress it and ignore them in phase 2 a lot. It's just so annoying to watch the A-Wings have complete free reign. That can singlehandedly lose Imperial teams the game. It's not all that fun but at least when I repeatedly chase them down they have to think about me rather than getting a ton of infantry/at-st kills.

It's only worth trying if other players are getting in the Ties too though. If it's just you then you're just gonna spawn and instantly die.

I do think like I said that it can be worth it to grab a Tie powerup just before round 2 is ending. Then go alt-whore and hope that your team has managed to shoot down the A-wings.

Put Ion torpedo in a hand. Wait for a suicidal TIE to blow his rocket on an A-wing, then fire your own. You can rack up a fair few kills/points from this. More people should use Ion torp. Problem, of course, is that no-one wants to give up jumppack/bowcaster/1337snipezpulsecannon.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

MorsAnima posted:

Put Ion torpedo in a hand. Wait for a suicidal TIE to blow his rocket on an A-wing, then fire your own. You can rack up a fair few kills/points from this. More people should use Ion torp. Problem, of course, is that no-one wants to give up jumppack/bowcaster/1337snipezpulsecannon.

I play the long-range game – sitting on ridges sniping with the T21B and pulse rifle. My third card is either the Bowcaster or Thermal Detonator.

But my second hand, without fail, has the Ion Torpedo and explosive ammo card, just for taking down fuckers in turrets and AT-STs.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Is it me or is the "Targeting Rifle" the least accurate goddamned rifle going?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MorsAnima posted:

People also don't use AT/ST for anti-air like they should. They go wading into the melee and die really fast. I've racked up something like 8 ship kills plus some guys during an AT/ST session. The only time I ever ho wading in is if the rebels are tacking up Y-Wings on Endor to the point it isn't funny anymore. I'm not surenif it's even possible to shoot down Y-Wings on Endor.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

MorsAnima posted:

I never use the torp full time but my secondary hand has that ion nades and ion shot for when I really need to kill vehicles. I also often spawn ion torp when I'm feeling spiteful after being shot down or strafed by a fighter.

But yeah I don't know if people realize how much of an effective nuisance you can be to fighters with torps. A lot of times when I'm in a fighter it's actually more annoying to deal with ion torps than actual enemy fighters simply because with the torp there is no way to know who is locking on you or much of a way to evade it other than climbing far away. I love it when the other team isn't using torps because unless their air is good enough to keep me down I'm going to rack up a gently caress ton of kills just strafing infantry and vehicles.

There's nothing sadder than Hoth phase 1 with that hill when the Imperials refuse to use ion torps. It's like a turkey shoot for the Rebels.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Casimir Radon posted:

People also don't use AT/ST for anti-air like they should. They go wading into the melee and die really fast. I've racked up something like 8 ship kills plus some guys during an AT/ST session. The only time I ever ho wading in is if the rebels are tacking up Y-Wings on Endor to the point it isn't funny anymore. I'm not surenif it's even possible to shoot down Y-Wings on Endor.

Honestly, I think you CAN shoot down Y-Wings. I know I can target them with ion torpedos. They're just in and out so fast that it's hard to do, but I think I did it accidentally once, but I was still learning the game and couldn't tell you how I did it.

Also, why can't we get speeder bikes on Hoth and Jakku and such? Endor is like the WORST place for them, even if it's canonically accurate. They'd be so much better if you could see where you where going.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 13, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What side do they come from? I can see being able to shoot them down from the shoreline in phase 3, but everywhere else seems too dense.

Or were you asking if you can shoot them down? Yes you absolutely can. Though you need an AT-ST or a fighter, torp doesn't lock on or fly fast enough. If you do manage to shoot them down the rebels don't get that time to damage the walker. Shoot them all down and they do no damage.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 13, 2016

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Steve Vader posted:

Honestly, I think you CAN shoot down Y-Wings. I know I can target them with ion torpedos. They're just in and out so fast that it's hard to do, but I think I did it accidentally once, but I was still learning the game and couldn't tell you how I did it.

You can kill them. You get 100 points for doing so and it only affects the bombing runs if you kill the very first Y-wing before it drops the bomb, I've done so quite a few times now, but rarely before the first bomb drops.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Casimir Radon posted:

I tried and then my missiles would just get juked by the air so I gave up and would just pot shot them so they'd gently caress off and went back to sniping ground troops.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Hello Spaceman posted:

I play the long-range game – sitting on ridges sniping with the T21B and pulse rifle. My third card is either the Bowcaster or Thermal Detonator.

But my second hand, without fail, has the Ion Torpedo and explosive ammo card, just for taking down fuckers in turrets and AT-STs.

Do you mean ion ammo? Explosive is worthless on armor, while ion completely fucks up turrets.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Anti-Hero posted:

Do you mean ion ammo? Explosive is worthless on armor, while ion completely fucks up turrets.

I didn't know this. :shobon:

I've just been using Explosive to shoot people. I'll go unlock the Ion Ammo card and set the hand to use that.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Anti-Hero posted:

He probably does.

Explosive shot is one I really want to try, but I don't think I could give up scan pulse at this point. So many kills/objectives are enabled because of scan pulse.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

When I get the AT-ST Ill normally just sit for a minute or two and pop off a few missiles at X or A Wings.

MorsAnima posted:

He probably does.

Explosive shot is one I really want to try, but I don't think I could give up scan pulse at this point. So many kills/objectives are enabled because of scan pulse.

Explosive does a lot of damage to heroes. Ive taken down a few just having this card enabled. Works pretty well.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I have two primary hands that I alternate between based on map, scan pulse or explosive shot. Explosive I use when I'm relying on the EE-3 for maps like Jundland/Jakku or when hanging outside on Hoth. It greatly helps at dunking on people at ranges. Also I use it in HvV or to kill Heroes in other game modes as it completely outclasses all other cards.

Scan pulse though is used in every other situation and if I had to choose I'd choose this one; it's too goddamn versatile.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I use Scan Pulse a lot but one underrated card is Personal Shield. It can be extremely useful on Walker Assault for capping and decapping points and being able to stay alive long enough to defend them until help arrives.

I wish you could assign a gun to each hand you use. I use the Sec 5 shot pistol but when I'm gunning for vehicles I'd rather use something with more range and rate of fire to get the most out of Ion Shot. It's a pain to have to switch guns while the Y-Wing meter is ticking away.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I am someone fairly newer to the game, is there a site/list/jpg or something that lists the true damage values of weapons?

I keep switching around but nothing feels as trustworthy as the e-11 but I would like to know how it all works under the hood.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Symthic.com

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Anti-Hero posted:

Symthic.com

Thanks for this.

I thought the CA-87 had better damage over a short distance than the DL-44. Looks like I was wrong...

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010

spiralbrain posted:

Thanks for this.

I thought the CA-87 had better damage over a short distance than the DL-44. Looks like I was wrong...

It does. The CA fires 10 pellets, like a shotgun. Each pellet does the listed damage at the range given, so at 0m up to 15m it can deal up to 150 damage. If 7 pellets hit it's a 1 hit kill. Pretty unreliable after about 20m anyway due to the insane spread on the weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pubbies or not, people aren't "bad" at this game. People just don't care.

They want a game with Star Wars in it that you can go PEW PEW with lasers, and that's what they got. There's no point in tactics or effort or trying to win, because PEW PEW IMMA HANS SOLO.

This leads me to the question I've dreaded to ask in here.

I have no friends, and I don't really like playing with people online because especially in this type of game, I want to take it more casual and just have fun instead of being hyper-focused on team goals and competitive play.

Can you play with/against bots in any of the game modes? For some reason I haven't been able to find this info (probably because the answer is "no you retard").

• Locked thread