Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Pictured: a counterfeit card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I can't really fault the guy for toeing the company line. That is exactly his job.

i can't either but he's really bad at it

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

stinkles1112 posted:

I'm not saying I don't believe you buy did anybody have a source for this. It seems.... incredible.

Mike Robles posts about him getting fired, not stating any reason: http://themikerobles.tumblr.com/post/45943980038/fired

Tweet from Conley Woods saying he heard it was about proxies: https://twitter.com/conley81/status/314925018788282368

At the time it happened I heard that it was because someone asked him on Twitter if it was okay to proxy cards for EDH, and he said it was okay if his playgroup agreed. Someone else on IRC confirms it was him tweeting that proxies are okay for EDH, cubes, and playtesting. The original tweets are of course nowhere to be found.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
on the one hand, it's wotc (and probably hasbro) behind this

on the other, patrick jarrett is terrible at his job and should never be allowed to compose statements of any sort

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Terrible Horse posted:

"Go gently caress yourselves," Trick continued.

lol I assumed that sentence was in the middle of a paragraph but nope, it just stops right there.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 13, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
one of those hitler reacts videos only hitler is a hasbro executive and they are telling him that lots of people are playing their game and enjoying it

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 13, 2016

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Meh.

Pussy Snorkel fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 13, 2016

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This conversation is too one-sided, we need someone to say that WotC is actually good and cool here. Where's Zoness?

I am frequently on WotC's side for "they are a business and need to make money" reasons but I don't see how this helps them in any loving way.

The only way i can see this being useful to them is if there were significant outcries for killing proxy tournaments somewhere, but I've never heard a loving peep and I live in SoCal where we have a million real legacy tournaments firing off every week (I'm going to our weekly which does like 20 people in an hour).

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Hey wizards, if you don't want people proxying force of will, and you want to make money off of people playing force of will, maybe you should try reprinting force of will?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mandatory lesbian posted:

i wonder what it's like to be someone else's mouthpiece and have to justify what other people do without telling you or get fired

I do phone support for a cable company. Its pretty loving awful. I just basically say "well they don't put me in charge or I might do things differently..." a lot.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hey wizards, if you don't want people proxying force of will, and you want to make money off of people playing force of will, maybe you should try reprinting force of will?

I think a different company prints Force of Will.

Sigma-X posted:

I am frequently on WotC's side for "they are a business and need to make money" reasons but I don't see how this helps them in any loving way.

The only way i can see this being useful to them is if there were significant outcries for killing proxy tournaments somewhere, but I've never heard a loving peep and I live in SoCal where we have a million real legacy tournaments firing off every week (I'm going to our weekly which does like 20 people in an hour).

I've said it before and I'll said it again, I'd rather my duals be worth $10 and I'd be perfectly happy to play in a 75 proxy tournament.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I know it's Trick's job to communicate the company line but he's outrageously bad at it. He always manages to come across as patronizing and wrong

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

little munchkin posted:

one of those hitler reacts videos only hitler is a hasbro executive and they are telling him that lots of people are playing their game and enjoying

So what happened was, I found ou- No wait it was Chris Page, Skaff Elias, Jim Lin, and David Pettey, and in case you don't know those are old friends of Richard Garfield's, from his bridge club, they were called the East Coast Playtesters. Anyway, we found out that people were playing Magic and enjoying it, and that's like- Okay I like fruit, but bananas, I really don't like. I mean REALLY don't like. So when something like that happens, it's what we call "fun", and "fun" is something I learned in college, studying Communication. But only later, when we were writing for Roseanne, did I realize how it could be applied to everything. So even later (!), when I was at Wizards, we had a lot of fun.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So if drawing a clock with legs on a Plains and crossing out the title and writing Time Walk on it is considered counterfeiting, then can we call card alters counterfeits and ban them too?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Alris posted:

Borrowing this, twitter hooo!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I heard indirectly that pat chapin suggested it was necessary as a step to go after chinese counterfeiters and they don't want to deal with claims that they allow people to play w/ whats effectively counterfeits.

The sharpie definition is kind of absurd though v:shobon:v. As far as I know they won't stop people from doing anything outside of store events but I mostly play online either way v:shobon:v.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Zoness posted:

I heard indirectly that pat chapin suggested it was necessary as a step to go after chinese counterfeiters and they don't want to deal with claims that they allow people to play w/ whats effectively counterfeits.

They're going after unsanctioned events you blithering idiot

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
twitch.tv/jassi007 going to stream pauper jeskai in a few. If pleasantdirge is around we can play our match for the thunderdome.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I understand WotC's position on this, I am just enraged that it's the world we live in where common sense takes a backseat to hard corporate policy and "slippery slope" arguments that lead to this. Like they literally can't say "Just don't use cards specifically printed to look so identical to official Magic cards that they pass almost any test you can throw at them," because WotC thinks that gives counterfeiters leeway. There are stores in my area that get ~20-30 people for weekly Vintage events. Our RC is currently asking Wizards what our responsibility is as judges. No one wants to get suspended for judging a tournament that allows proxies, but, you know, recent precedent about judges needing to protect WotC's IP.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

They're going after unsanctioned events you blithering idiot

Are you illiterate because I didn't specify sanction or unsanctioned. They said WPN locations. As in, the idea is that their motivation according to Pat Chapin is that they don't want to let people claim that any kind of proxied events are allowed at partner locations.

It's pat chapin logic and I'm just trying to parse it can you please relax.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 13, 2016

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!

Star Man posted:

So if drawing a clock with legs on a Plains and crossing out the title and writing Time Walk on it is considered counterfeiting, then can we call card alters counterfeits and ban them too?

R.I.P. David Bowie :(

edit: I read your username and now have the urge to listen to Starman on Youtube.

Alris fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 13, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Alris posted:

R.I.P. David Bowie :(

rip the original Starman

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

BJPaskoff posted:

Like they literally can't say "Just don't use cards specifically printed to look so identical to official Magic cards that they pass almost any test you can throw at them," because WotC thinks that gives counterfeiters leeway.

They literally can because counterfeiting has a pretty long legal history with specific legal definitions. If it's meant to look just like a real card, it's a counterfeit. If it's not, it's not.

Or they can just say nothing because they already ban all proxies in sanctioned events and there is nothing forcing them to comment on unsanctioned events at all.

They tell MtG fans that they had no choice and they're the real victims here and were cruelly forced into it because most MtG fans are mewling retards who will lap up whatever bullshit WotC tells them before cracking another case of Battle For Zendikar.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I don't see how you can claim something as counterfeit unless it fraudulently purports to be real, like those indistinguishable Chinese ones.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

this decision is bullshit

Wait, let me put on my judge hat. Ok, now I'm looking at things from a different perspective. Speaking as a judge:
This decision is bullshit.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

What really bothers me is that they have been letting businesses profit off proxy Vintage for over a decade. Anyone remember SCG's Power Nine Series?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I wouldn't even know how to tell if a card was made by a Chinese printer.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Ramos posted:

No, I'm not disagreeing. The flavor text is a major case of lazy translation probably coupled with not exactly being Shakespearean in its native language. That tends to leave it feeling redundant and stilted.

I just remembered Lottery of Babylon's quote and thought it was funny and fitting for the moment.

Translating fantasy game rules text from Japanese to English is hard enough on its own without having to bend over backwards to make up for the fact that Wizards already took all the keywords that make any sense, so my heart goes out to the FoW translation team. It really does. But holy poo poo, the flavor text is so awkward that I have to assume their localization department is a bunch of volunteers convinced they're finally on their way to spinning their doujinshi scanlations into a career.

GeneX posted:

on the one hand, it's wotc (and probably hasbro) behind this

on the other, patrick jarrett is terrible at his job and should never be allowed to compose statements of any sort

Wait is his name actually Patrick? I figured he'd just come to accept the unfortunate name his parents gave him and make the best of his career

You know, since he's a 30+ year old man who publicly goes by "Trick"

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

jassi007 posted:

twitch.tv/jassi007 going to stream pauper jeskai in a few. If pleasantdirge is around we can play our match for the thunderdome.

My wife's desktop has a bad power supply that fried a hard drive and so she is working/phding with our laptop/modo box right now. I'm probably going to have a better time setting our game for later in the week but I'm totally going to stalk you on twitch now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Alris posted:

Enjoy your time in prison

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've found proxy cards are much more difficult to turn sideways than Official Hasbro (TM) Product,

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

jassi007 posted:

I do phone support for a cable company. Its pretty loving awful. I just basically say "well they don't put me in charge or I might do things differently..." a lot.

brother i did that job for a year, and let me tell you calling my supe a loving bitch and getting fired was the best decision i ever made

and this is why i feel more sorry for trick then mad at him, cause he had no actual part in what's going on

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Star Man posted:

I wouldn't even know how to tell if a card was made by a Chinese printer.

Neither would a WotC employee. :v:

Hopping Ghost posted:

Translating fantasy game rules text from Japanese to English is hard enough on its own without having to bend over backwards to make up for the fact that Wizards already took all the keywords that make any sense, so my heart goes out to the FoW translation team. It really does. But holy poo poo, the flavor text is so awkward that I have to assume their localization department is a bunch of volunteers convinced they're finally on their way to spinning their doujinshi scanlations into a career.

At least they've been steadily improving since they started.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 13, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cernunnos posted:

Neither would a WotC employee. :v:

Seriously. If a counterfeit is that well made, how the gently caress am I going to tell the difference from a pristine Revised Underground Sea and one printed in a warehouse in Hong Kong?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I'm happy this stops Modern and Standard proxy tournaments, but hitting proxy Vintage tournaments is a bit much. Legacy I'm on the fence about, on the one hand duals are ridiculously expensive but on the other hand you can borrow cards and there are relatively budget decks playable in the format. It's not impossible to play without proxies like Vintage.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!

Emerson Cod posted:

I'm happy this stops Modern and Standard proxy tournaments
Why, just out of curiousity?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Emerson Cod posted:

I'm happy this stops Modern and Standard proxy tournaments, but hitting proxy Vintage tournaments is a bit much. Legacy I'm on the fence about, on the one hand duals are ridiculously expensive but on the other hand you can borrow cards and there are relatively budget decks playable in the format. It's not impossible to play without proxies like Vintage.

There's a playable budget deck (burn) and it's very bad. Even White Weenies has a $1k manabase.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Are you guys watching the VSL? You better be watching the VSL. This G2 between LSV and Rich Shay is just one of the weirdest things I've ever seen in Magic.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Elyv posted:

Are you guys watching the VSL? You better be watching the VSL. This G2 between LSV and Rich Shay is just one of the weirdest things I've ever seen in Magic.

The Workshop mirrors are legitimately some of the most interesting matches of Magic I've ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Watching MTG without paying to watch it is illegal and you're going to jail

• Locked thread