Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Finally, I can get my D'rizzt fanfiction adventure officially approved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice

potatocubed posted:

Wow.

I'm not an expert in these things, but what little I know is telling me that is some bullshit.

As I read it, the intent is more to defend their own copyrights and trademarks for stuff published through the dmsguild using FR/setting material not covered in the OGL. Basically, the kind of thing you'd sign in a work-for-hire agreement, but in this case you get a way bigger cut of royalties instead of a flat or per-word rate. It could actually work out a lot better for the better writers than industry standard pay (which is far shittier than most kinds of writing) while saving Wizards the up-front money to write or solicit their own material. Most places that allow for that kind of extended world universe building (in fiction - think Star Wars or video game novels) give a flat rate now and no royalties. The trick will be to see if the cream really rises to the top, or if the dmsguild gets so flooded with broken material no one will go there. I'm guessing a bit of both.

The only thing that looks slightly murky is what their definition of "canon" would be, and the stuff about original IP (I'm assuming campaign settings, original storylines and characters). It looks like the intent as written would be they'd pay to use your original IP if they wanted to, say, make a video game/video game dlc based on it, or publish it on paper. I'm not an IP lawyer, though. They or a literary agent would know for sure.

edit:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, there's no real point to it unless you just have to use the Realms.

Basically, this. Dmsguild would work out better for Wizards-owned setting material and very D&D specific things.

ScaryJen fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 12, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

rkajdi posted:

You can't drop a bomb like this without an explanation or a link.

Okay

Chris Fields, who's rather infamous in the Fatal and Friends thread for his racist, misogynistic, and scatalogical d20 supplement "Black Tokyo" released a product on DTRPG under the name "Tournament of Rapists" with the following blurb.

quote:

The Tournament of Rapists details the sadistic Rape Pure Fight circuit, expanding on what you’ve seen already and introducing dangerous new sexual predators. This sadistic bloodsport takes place in abandoned office buildings and atop Tokyo rooftops. An assortment of superhumanly powerful and inhumanly misogynistic men, and even worse women, step into impromptu fighting arenas, killing and raping the weaker in search of a multi-billion yen fight purse provided by a half-oni billionaire in thrall to dark impulses.

He's probably released worse, but he made a few mistakes this time. A) He put up a low res preview copy but didn't enable a "First few pages PDF preview" so no one could actually tell what the book was about. B) He accidentally set the price at $599 USD rather than $5.99 USD and probably the most damning. C) he released it without properly tagging it as adult content, and since his publisher at the time was in good standing with OBS, it got scooped up by one of OBS' bots and preview copies were sent to some members of the gaming press.

It blew up from there, with both fields and his publisher defending it as a "Monster Manual" and what you're actually supposed to do is kill all these people for being horrible monsters, but there was no way for anyone to know this without actually buying the book. Relevant to this discussion, however, is people were threatening to leave DTRPG on both sides, either if the book was taken down or if it wasn't, people were claiming freedom of speech, etc, etc, etc. But what it really brought to light is that there's really only one marketplace for gaming PDFs online and OBS has a monopoly on it. Also that Wieck shouldn't be allowed near twitter again.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20
I think it's amazing. We have a complete business history for the last iteration of this but most people are going to make exactly the same mistakes.

Me, I'm happy with the new OGL except for the format (.rtf is much easier to start with). The rules were never the valuable thing in of themselves. What's valuable is that the text lets you avoid a great deal of boring work and people feel brand loyalty that can be exploited. WotC made little to no use of 3p open content and I don't see that changing.

I wonder if WotC is going to do what they did last time and use 3pp as a stalking horse for official releases, so that when your elf book sells well it will be bum's rushed by Official Elf Book down the line.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

That doesn't really surprise me given that it's D&D, but I mean in terms of sales. I don't know anyone who is actually playing Next--they're all either sticking with 3.PF or doing other, non-D&D games. No LGS nearby is running any games of Next insofar as I can tell.
At my FLGS's organized play night, they fill up three or four tables a week with D&D, with like six or seven players per table.

Meanwhile, for 13th Age I've gotten one new player in the past year.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but they're basically letting you pay them for the honor of being on the "official" D&D webstore.
IP holders monetizing fanfic just might be the next big thing.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

FMguru posted:

IP holders monetizing fanfic just might be the next big thing.
Actually, such a system exists with Amazon and I wonder how it compares in terms of rights lost and other stuff.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Asimo posted:

Sadly content restrictions will keep me from publishing Elminster's Guide to Fuckable Monsters, Cormyr: a Kingdom of Assholes, or Monstrous Compendium: Babies of Thay, but that's probably for the best.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Slimnoid posted:

Is 5e even selling that well? Because this seems like either a desperation move for attention, or them dumping it out there because it's not worth making official content for.
Well, in fairness, the timing fits in with the "Dude was on Jury Duty" line they've been giving us for the past year.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There is no doubt in my mind that PF, seeing their own game bloated and dessicated from years of Splat Abuse, will just make PF2.0 off the bones of 5E's OGL, because every grog who declared 5E the "one true edition" since it was designed by feel will jump ship.

Plus, PF gets to sell all new splats to their own rabid fanbase, including ports of their (IMO, excellent) adventure splats. Win-win for Paizo

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Sadly content restrictions will keep me from publishing Elminster's Guide to Fuckable Monsters, Cormyr: a Kingdom of Assholes, or Monstrous Compendium: Babies of Thay, but that's probably for the best.

I think Ed Greenwood would beat you to the release of the first one anyway. Possibly the second too.

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Aww. *dejectedly puts crusty manuscript of Volo's Guide to Back Alley Helpers, Cathouses and Festhalls in Silverymoon back in the drawer*

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Asimo posted:

:eng101: D'r'i'z'z't''' '

'

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
So, let me note in advance: not a business guy. I'm literally just some fuckin' dude on the internet.

I actually think some of this stuff is real smart from WotC's viewpoint. Like, yes, the exclusive bits on the D&D storefront is a terrible idea for the writers. It's relying on the D&D storefront ot be a substantial enough boost in sales to cover the hilariously poor profit percentages. But for the normally tech-stupid WotC, much less D&D team, this is a real smart move. The biggest sin the OGL had in the 3e era was that it didn't make WotC any more. You had the full third party boom, and then the slow simmer afterwards, all of which meant a lot of non-WotC people were getting paid. Beyond that it works to some of hte main goals I feel WotC and the D&D team have. For Mearls it helps cement his name and his edition as "TRUE D&D." I've for a long time felt Mearls has a real personal stake in this - 5e isn't just a game, it's his personal edition, and while one or two other devs have stated that "oh it's not all Mearls we all did this together" Mearls' name is the one used in PR and the one getting all the interviews. Just look at how he had Monte Cook unceremoniously harassed and pushed out of development - Mearls wants his name to be top of the list. By making ANOTHER srd, he's continuing to ensure he becomes "the man who saved D&D." As for D&D itself, I've felt for awhile with 5e that D&D - regardless of how comparatively well 5e might sell at this moment - was in line to get wrapped up. The OGL allows Hasbro/WotC to put D&D on the lowest burn possible and simply wait for a potential market change or to push for nostalgia factor down the line and still keep the line alive. A lot of people are wondering how or why WotC would ever sign off on another srd after how the last one ended, and I simply don't think they have any plans for future editions that could get haunted by this.

So why is this potentially really stupid? Because the OGL boom came with an OGL bust. Bubbles pop. I suppose at this point the question is "how much will WotC invest in this," but unlike 3e where 3.5 and an aggressive release schedule meant WotC could power through the bust, 5e lacks both of those things. If they well and truly are placing the future of D&D into the hands of this, things are going to get real ugly down the line.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

It's easier to profit off of games with no up-front development cost.

Edit: seriously I wish they'd just sell D&D to Blizzard or something.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

ProfessorCirno posted:

So, let me note in advance: not a business guy. I'm literally just some fuckin' dude on the internet.

I actually think some of this stuff is real smart from WotC's viewpoint. Like, yes, the exclusive bits on the D&D storefront is a terrible idea for the writers. It's relying on the D&D storefront ot be a substantial enough boost in sales to cover the hilariously poor profit percentages. But for the normally tech-stupid WotC, much less D&D team, this is a real smart move. The biggest sin the OGL had in the 3e era was that it didn't make WotC any more. You had the full third party boom, and then the slow simmer afterwards, all of which meant a lot of non-WotC people were getting paid. Beyond that it works to some of hte main goals I feel WotC and the D&D team have. For Mearls it helps cement his name and his edition as "TRUE D&D." I've for a long time felt Mearls has a real personal stake in this - 5e isn't just a game, it's his personal edition, and while one or two other devs have stated that "oh it's not all Mearls we all did this together" Mearls' name is the one used in PR and the one getting all the interviews. Just look at how he had Monte Cook unceremoniously harassed and pushed out of development - Mearls wants his name to be top of the list. By making ANOTHER srd, he's continuing to ensure he becomes "the man who saved D&D." As for D&D itself, I've felt for awhile with 5e that D&D - regardless of how comparatively well 5e might sell at this moment - was in line to get wrapped up. The OGL allows Hasbro/WotC to put D&D on the lowest burn possible and simply wait for a potential market change or to push for nostalgia factor down the line and still keep the line alive. A lot of people are wondering how or why WotC would ever sign off on another srd after how the last one ended, and I simply don't think they have any plans for future editions that could get haunted by this.

So why is this potentially really stupid? Because the OGL boom came with an OGL bust. Bubbles pop. I suppose at this point the question is "how much will WotC invest in this," but unlike 3e where 3.5 and an aggressive release schedule meant WotC could power through the bust, 5e lacks both of those things. If they well and truly are placing the future of D&D into the hands of this, things are going to get real ugly down the line.

So what you're saying is that Mearls' will have his name all over the death of D&D?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If there is any moral justice in the world of RPGs then the guy who basically poisoned and poo poo-canned a decent, forward-thinking version of the World's #1 RPG will end up dragging it into the abyss with his inept retro-throwback garbage.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TheTatteredKing posted:

So what you're saying is that Mearls' will have his name all over the death of D&D?

may D&D find the peace in death it could not find in life.

I've no idea what the fourth edition wars will be fought with, but the fifth edition wars will be fought with rocks and sticks.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

...if the plug were to be pulled on D&D, it would not drag the rest of the industry down with it, would it?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

...if the plug were to be pulled on D&D, it would not drag the rest of the industry down with it, would it?

Ten years ago, before DriveThruRPG? Probably. Now? I doubt it. Pathfinder is doing PFS in your FLGS, and there are more options to both meet other gamers and play other, good games than ever before. The death of D&D would probably be a good thing, as it would end the thing that makes people *not* explore other systems ("I only play D&D")

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
People already say "I love D&D" while only having played Pathfinder, I don't think it'd really create any sort of indie surge.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Orientalist Adventures: The Complete Racist's Guide to Kara-Tur

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

paradoxGentleman posted:

Not sure about the industry (although I suspect PF would just keep powering on as the default game for people who want that D&D sort of thing), but game stores are much less dependent on D&D in 2015 then they were on TSR products back in 1998. That was the whole reason that WotC bought TSR back then - a huge portion of WotC's retailer base relied on selling D&D books to keep their doors open, and the death of D&D would have wiped them out. Now, D&D (and RPGs) take up a much smaller part of most FLGSs, which seem to do much better business selling minis and clix and board games and CCGs than RPGs.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

I doubt it, but as much as I wish otherwise it'd definitely be a severe blow to the industry at large. To everyone outside the hobby, and a sizeable chunk of people in it, D&D is gaming. Period.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Elminster's Guide to Fuckable Monsters

Assuming this was well produced and illustrated I would buy it to leave in my bathroom for hungover mornings.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

You know, I was thinking about this, and... honestly, this is just a bigger implementation of a TG standard, which is exploiting the eagerness of your fans for cheap content. It's often in the way of companies to pay contributors a pittance, particularly young or new contributors. The Rifter comes to mind, since it was often something you often saw in company rags - it pays contributors garbage, and occasionally nabs writers or ideas from the magazine to blow up into full books or chapters. There are of course, similar concepts in recent memory, like White Wolf Quarterly or The Imperial Herald (or is the Herald still going? I dunno), which paid fans little or nothing to pad out their page count. The Dungeon Masters Guild is, frankly, just a means to use the web to levy a bigger and even more shameless implementation of the idea, if such a thing is possible. Wizards doesn't even have to worry about paying anybody up front, since users only get money if they make Wizards money to begin with. They don't even have to host it! But maybe it isn't so bad. You could make good money if you find a hit with the DMG, in theory.

But it's like I said in my Pathfinder review: people who use the Pathfinder Open Gaming License run into the fact they're having to compete with Paizo themselves to make money. With the Dungeon Masters Guild, you're not only competing with WotC for fan dollars - which honestly looks easier than competing with Paizo, to be fair - but that if you're successful, WotC can just buy you out at some mystery price and then sell your poo poo in perpetuity. Like I said, shameless.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I doubt it, but as much as I wish otherwise it'd definitely be a severe blow to the industry at large. To everyone outside the hobby, and a sizeable chunk of people in it, D&D is gaming. Period.

To an extent, but bear in mind we had, like, effectively two or three years without a D&D? And that's because, frankly, thanks to the OGL and the OSR, we will never, ever, actually be without D&D. There's enough contenders to fill the void should D&D pack up shop. The words of Nelson Muntz come to mind: "If you hadn't done it, some other loser would have."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It wouldn't be a severe blow to the industry at large and you just posted why. Most of the D&D crowd won't do anything beyond play D&D, they never buy anything else, and the new version is a failure at bringing in new blood. Its not even a big part of keeping most brick-and-mortar game stores around anymore.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
D&D is the Gregor Samsa to its family that is the roleplaying games industry.

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice

whydirt posted:

D&D is the Gregor Samsa to its family that is the roleplaying games industry.

I think someone just came up with a new race to sell in the dmsguild.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

And that's because, frankly, thanks to the OGL and the OSR, we will never, ever, actually be without D&D.
Depressing, isn't it?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It wouldn't be a severe blow to the industry at large and you just posted why. Most of the D&D crowd won't do anything beyond play D&D, they never buy anything else, and the new version is a failure at bringing in new blood. Its not even a big part of keeping most brick-and-mortar game stores around anymore.
That's a good point, actually. It feels like the only niche D&D fills anymore is "for people who only play D&D".

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Sadly content restrictions will keep me from publishing Elminster's Guide to Fuckable Monsters

Well, yeah. You can't just reprint the monster manual with no changes and a new cover.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Depressing, isn't it?

Yes and no; yes, because it's an albatross on the industry, and no, because even the most OSRiest game often has more innovation in it than D&D 5th edition.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
There is some kind of irony that WotC releases the new SRD the same time they start a witchhunt for people running partial proxy events for MtG formats constrained by their dumb reserve list.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The difference is that MtG actually makes money.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Not sure if it should go here or in the FATAL mock thread, but :lol:

:pusheen:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Maybe your local game stores are different, but without Pathfinder and D&D mine has basically only Fantasy Flight products on its RPG shelves. Without D&D and D&D esque games the RPG shelves become extensions of the 40k shelves.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

whydirt posted:

There is some kind of irony that WotC releases the new SRD the same time they start a witchhunt for people running partial proxy events for MtG formats constrained by their dumb reserve list.

This sounds interesting! What're the details about this?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I sold my d20 collection for over $1000. There's still a market for it... at the right price. I even dumped dogs like Legends of the Samurai or The Essential Guide to Elves. You just have to know what it's worth, which often isn't much. Still, there were some books, like Ravenloft d20, that I actually made a profit on.
How'd you do that, by the way? I still need to unload my d20 poo poo. Like, ebay, or what?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Everblight posted:

Not sure if it should go here or in the FATAL mock thread, but :lol:

:pusheen:

Beautiful.

It's beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren