Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Only thing on credit is my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Trust me I rather keep the car. I loving love it. Hooning it around is the only fun I have had lately. I'll move back in with my parents before it gets repo'd.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Everyone should go out and get a credit card. They're not as evil as people make them out to be if you can be rational.
Plus they're a good last resort in a case like this.

And if you can move back in with your parents early, do it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah it doesn't sound like you're in too bad of shape. Even if moving back with your parents kinda sucks, you'd be in a good position to save extra money once you get back to work.

Consider a day labor place like labor ready or manpower. The work probably sucks but you get paid at the end of your day.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

On the plus side I haven't been on a lease the 2+ years I've lived here so gently caress it. Squatter's Rights or whatever?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Only thing on credit is my house.

Me too, thank god. I'll never have a car payment again, haven't had one since 1994 and lovin' it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Welp, there goes CommieGIR

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Super Aggro Crag posted:

On the plus side I haven't been on a lease the 2+ years I've lived here so gently caress it. Squatter's Rights or whatever?

No, more like you're gone as soon as you don't pay your share. But it sounds like your roommates suck anyway soooo

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I'm guessing the car insurance thread is dead and went to old thread hell, so I'm wondering if anyone here knows whether or not it's true that car insurance policies can be canceled if you're towing with a car that the manufacturer hasn't approved to tow? I'm seeing a lot of poo poo online where people are saying "OH GOD DON'T TOW YOUR 400lbs OF lovely ITALIAN BIKE WITH AN IMPREZA BECAUSE SUBARU DOESN'T APPROVE. :kingsley:" whilst the other people are like "I don't give a gently caress I'm towing a 22 ft yacht with my Prius". I'm afraid of my lovely Italian bike and if the little fucker decides to have a competition to see how far it can throw the top cylinder towards my dick I would like to have something as back-up. Also maybe a proper Brap in the future, I don't know.

That said, the most important thing here is when some redneck decides to chug a gallon of moonshine and shreds through my car, and the lazy as gently caress cop says "eh gently caress it, 50/50 fault" (this has happened before to me) I don't want Geico et. al. telling me to go pound sand because there was a trailer with a 400 lb bike on the back of a car that "wasn't recommended" from the factory for towing

That said it's pretty hilarious that Subaru is all about letting you tow with the XV Crosstrek which is a literal lifted Impreza 5-door but the Impreza is a no-go for towing. The Impreza actually is available with a motor that is more effective than a fart in a tornado, unlike the XV, but gently caress no, no towing with the same car. :confused:

PaintVagrant posted:

Welp, there goes CommieGIR

Feef. What a way to go.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Is the tow rating on the Impreza really zero? I thought at least it could get a class 1 hitch and tow up to 2k lbs.

If not. Haha US market tow ratings.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Me too, thank god. I'll never have a car payment again, haven't had one since 1994 and lovin' it.

I'm pretty sure the Miata will be the last car payment for me as well.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

Is the tow rating on the Impreza really zero? I thought at least it could get a class 1 hitch and tow up to 2k lbs.

If not. Haha US market tow ratings.

If https://www.justgivemethedamnmanual.com can be trusted, then the 2008-2012 Impreza owner manuals all say "Your vehicle is neither designed nor intended to be used for trailer towing. Therefore, never tow a trailer with your vehicle." in big, bold letters.

Meanwhile the loving lifted Impreza? Oh it's cool, dawg. Just deal with the lovely engine and inferior transmission options, have fun.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
So, this guy's lifespan is probably measured in days, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGpEBreFJEo

(Honda K20,huge turbo, sequential gearbox + Toyota MR2)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

US tow ratings are so stupid. The tow rating for my GMC Safariis high 3k lbs or low 4k lbs. Add the towing package (which consists of a towing hitch and a slushbox cooler) and it magically becomes 5,000 lbs.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Anyone here ever stayed at the MGM Grand or Polo Towers in Vegas? Going in November and want a reasonably priced room.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Everyone should be jealous of 1500quidporsche, because he has already won 2016 - check out AB:AI for further details.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
A few years back I read a book called Leviathan Wakes, and found it to be really good near-future space opera stuff. Well the dudes that wrote it continued writing novels in the series, and the universe surrounding it expanded to the point that people in Hollywood took notice. It's now being made as a television series, and it turns out, even being made by SyFy, it's really loving good. What's even better about the whole situation is it's available for free, no pay wall, no sign-in wall, episodes available day after airing, in 1080p on SyFy's website. If you have the time, I'd highly recommend at least watching the first episode.

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/episodes

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

angryhampster posted:

Anyone here ever stayed at the MGM Grand or Polo Towers in Vegas? Going in November and want a reasonably priced room.

I've stayed at the MGM, the Monte Carlo and the Mandarin Oriental.

The MGM and Monte Carlo are both fine, albeit worn around the edges. They're fairly well located and usually pretty cheap (most of the poo poo on the strip is owned by MGM anyway). The Mandarin Oriental was boss as gently caress and not on my dime - now I'm totally spoiled on vegas rooms. The room was on a corner/wraparound, and floor to ceiling glass which ruled hard at night. I am a connoisseur of private, remotely-located toilets but the view from this one totally changed my opinion on the benefits of making GBS threads in plain sight:

(also pictured: the plebes over at the Polo Towers :smugdog:)

I'd go with the MGM Grand.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Applied for graduation and haven't died yet

It's a miracle

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Also :rip: commie

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dannywilson posted:

A few years back I read a book called Leviathan Wakes, and found it to be really good near-future space opera stuff. Well the dudes that wrote it continued writing novels in the series, and the universe surrounding it expanded to the point that people in Hollywood took notice. It's now being made as a television series, and it turns out, even being made by SyFy, it's really loving good. What's even better about the whole situation is it's available for free, no pay wall, no sign-in wall, episodes available day after airing, in 1080p on SyFy's website. If you have the time, I'd highly recommend at least watching the first episode.

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/episodes

The series bogs down by the 4th book, but the 2nd one is incredible in that future war vein. Holy poo poo.

The series has a special place in my heart because there's characters with my uncommon first and last names in the first two books.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty sure the Miata will be the last car payment for me as well.

Make it so! It's been nearly 4 years since I've had a car payment. You'll never want to go back. The flex will be my first 'nice' car paid in cash. People talking up their credit score game and I'm over here like I can't wait for it to be a big fat 0. Only line of credit is my house payment.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

kimbo305 posted:

The series bogs down by the 4th book, but the 2nd one is incredible in that future war vein. Holy poo poo.

The series has a special place in my heart because there's characters with my uncommon first and last names in the first two books.

I'm really wondering how they will cast Bobbie Draper, because 2m tall ripped polynesian actresses might be hard to come by.

Also Nemesis Games was a really solid start to what looks to be a solid story.

E: I will agree to book 4 being a slog, but as the show has shown; they aren't afraid of interspersing the slow stuff from a subsequent book (the Chrisjen Avasarala bits [even though she's an awesome char]) with the current season.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 13, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dannywilson posted:

I'm really wondering how they will cast Bobbie Draper, because 2m tall ripped polynesian actresses might be hard to come by.

They already got Naomi Nagata as a normal Earther, so I'm sure they'll figure something out.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Yeah, that's one of the only things that's bothered me so far. She's supposed to be like 4-5" taller than him, and he's an average earth dude. Who do they cast? Someone that's 2-3" shorter than the lead and kinda go "Pretend she's tall or something IDK?" without platforming her or anything.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If any fashion model could act, that would be a perfect role for her.
Amos is equally disappointingly small.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
IGI. Seriously though, if you ignore some character descriptions, the show is pretty solid, is it not?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah, it's really decent sci-fi, which I can't get enough of.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Every sci-fi show is utterly unwatchable because nothing can ever live up to the expectations Iain Banks set for me :sigh:

He's basically ruined scifi for me and I can't even punch him in the head now.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Tusen Takk posted:

Also :rip: commie
I don't get stuff like that. Reset your password and delete the email. If you literally have zero self control then its either 2 minutes to reset it again or 3 minutes to whip out a credit card and re-reg.

Mostly though I am just a cheap rear end and hate seeing money wasted.

Edit: like the time I bought you an avatar :v:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
What time do we close?

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
THE FORUMS ARE DICKED

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, it's really decent sci-fi, which I can't get enough of.
I got halfway through the first episode, went "I really don't care about any of these characters" and turned it off. Maybe I should give it a longer try.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

SlimManFat posted:

THE FORUMS THE CLOUD IS RAINING ARE DICKED

ftfy

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

brb patenting an umbrella made of condoms (the Umdomİ)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Cage posted:

I don't get stuff like that. Reset your password and delete the email. If you literally have zero self control then its either 2 minutes to reset it again or 3 minutes to whip out a credit card and re-reg.

Mostly though I am just a cheap rear end and hate seeing money wasted.

Edit: like the time I bought you an avatar :v:

I just ask IOC for a probation, he will grant you as long as you want. Besides, its not like you cant stop browsing the forums as a guest anyways.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I just ask IOC for a probation, he will grant you as long as you want. Besides, its not like you cant stop browsing the forums as a guest anyways.

I assumed the sub forums were pay only back when I banned myself. On day 28 I hopped on and found I could read everything same as always..

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Well it only took 2 hours but I finally got a shuttle back to my house from the stealership.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

IOC answering the question about the Saab variable compression engine in the stupid questions thread reminded me of all the crazy poo poo they did. While the SVC was certainly cool, it isn't my favorite hairbrained Saab project. This is: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_Monster

(I didn't want to derail the stupid questions thread so I thought I'd post it here.)

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I get it. :lol: :lol:

• Locked thread