Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lightning just downgrades to MDP (mini-display port, for those of you following along at home) when you plug in an MDP device though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Lightning is the connector for an iPhone.

mrpeaches
Jan 12, 2005

lilspooky posted:

How long have you had your 15? You've plugged speakers / headphones into the 3.5 jack?

I've had mine for about a month. Plugged headphones or a speaker line into/out of it almost every day. No issues so far. Do you have the latest audio drivers from Dell's site?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Hadlock posted:

Lightning just downgrades to MDP (mini-display port, for those of you following along at home) when you plug in an MDP device though, right?

It definitely does on a Macbook Pro and I would expect it to on Windows too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sarehu posted:

Lightning is the connector for an iPhone.

Doesn't the iPhone ship with a USB adapter though? Can you charge an iPhone off of a MDP port?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Anybody have experience with the new model of the ThinkPad yoga 14? Best buy has the i5/256ssd/8gb/940/wacom digitizer configuration for $700 and I'm in urgent need of a laptop this week. Did Lenovo ever address the bios malware thing?

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Bob Morales posted:

Good screens: X240 with 1080p (tiny though), T450S IPS

Thanks, that's approximately what I was hoping. There's an IPS T450s on the Lenovo outlet site; just needs an SSD and some RAM. Hmm.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Hadlock posted:

Doesn't the iPhone ship with a USB adapter though? Can you charge an iPhone off of a MDP port?

No, lightning is essentially just a nicer connector for USB 2.0 at this point, and offers no extra features.

It's been suppassed by USB-C.
There have never been lightning ports on anything other than iOS devices and a couple of 3rd party batteries / charging cases.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

wooger posted:

There have never been lightning ports on anything other than iOS devices and a couple of 3rd party batteries / charging cases.

There are Lightning headphones

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Hadlock posted:

You are conflating Lightning and Thunderbolt I think. Apple is dumb for that entire naming decision.

Lightning is basically USB 2, whereas Thunderbolt is mDP+PCI-E (for 2.0) and USB-C+PCI-E (for 3.0).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

wooger posted:

No, lightning is essentially just a nicer connector for USB 2.0 at this point, and offers no extra features.

It's been suppassed by USB-C.

Lightning does offer features USB 2.0 doesn't have. Like being able to plug the connector in either way, it doesn't have to be facing a certain way.

Also, it supports USB 3.0 speeds so that would be a better comparison.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

mrpeaches posted:

I've had mine for about a month. Plugged headphones or a speaker line into/out of it almost every day. No issues so far. Do you have the latest audio drivers from Dell's site?

Yup everything is fully updated. Apparently on another forum several others who are having the same problem cite the Dell Audio program as the culprit.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Bob Morales posted:

Lightning does offer features USB 2.0 doesn't have. Like being able to plug the connector in either way, it doesn't have to be facing a certain way.

There are USB-A cables that have the reversible capability, though not executed as elegantly as USB-C. For example, there are those very thin flash drives that just have traces on both sides so you can plug them into the slot either way. Additionally I have a Matias keyboard that has what appears to be a USB-A connector, but inside the metal shielding it's a similar thin wafer with traces on both sides so it can plug in either way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TopherCStone posted:

There are USB-A cables that have the reversible capability, though not executed as elegantly as USB-C. For example, there are those very thin flash drives that just have traces on both sides so you can plug them into the slot either way. Additionally I have a Matias keyboard that has what appears to be a USB-A connector, but inside the metal shielding it's a similar thin wafer with traces on both sides so it can plug in either way.

Sure, some unicorn devices can but it's not a standard for the connector

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
USB-C cables are the worst:
  • Good luck finding them retail.
  • Good luck finding them for under $30.
  • Good luck finding one that actually works.
They also come in many flavors, in order of popularity:
  • C to female-A
  • C to male-micro-B
  • C to C.
  • C to male-A
And then, they also come in USB 2.0 signalling, 3.0, and 3.1, so 8-12 cable variants at least. The signalling is not obvious either, you can buy C-C cables with 2.0 or 3.1 signalling, and you'd only know by package or guessing by length--I think the 3.0/3.1 cables are restricted to 1m length, so the longer ones are all 2.0, at least based on what I saw at Micro Center.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

USB-C cables are the worst:
  • Good luck finding them retail.
  • Good luck finding them for under $30.
  • Good luck finding one that actually works.
IT'S THE FUTURE!!

I wouldn't have irrational hate for USB-C if it wasn't for the thread of 'this is the only port you're going to get', at least from Apple

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Remember when laptops had like four or five USB-A ports because you always need more ports?

What happened?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Remember when laptops had like four or five USB-A ports because you always need more ports?

What happened?

I know some did, but so much is built-in these days they don't. Bluetooth, Wifi, etc.

I'm happy with 2 ports on my Air. Then you have a separate port for an external display, you're not using your ONE AND ONLY port to connect to a monitor.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What happened?

We gotta shrink the laptop man. Even Lenovo has given up on VGA ports on some of their skylake models so they can make thinner laptops.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think USB C-C cables are the long term plan. Those other cables will still exist, but only for legacy device support.

Laptops only have one or two USB ports because there's not enough real estate on modern laptops, which are either too thin or have tapered edges. Also most of the functionality of USB devices has been rolled in to the laptop itself, for example WiFi and Bluetooth.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Also most of the functionality of USB devices has been rolled in to the laptop itself, for example WiFi and Bluetooth.

What the gently caress is wrong with companies that make those proprietary wireless mice that need a tiny little USB dongle?

:argh:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
At least they just work with zero hassle which is more than can be said for Bluetooth mice (at least on Windows)

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

anyone have any thoughts on this Lenovo laptop from Bestbuy? Just trying to find out if this is actually a good deal with the $300 off. I havnt seen anything comparable really from companies i trust, but even doing some reading up im still a laptard when it comes to seeing whats good/bad.

Its a bit more than what i had wanted to pay, but i figure it will work for light gaming on medium/low in 720p for atleast a few years unless im reading stuff on the 940m gpu wrong with semi-modern titles. Seems the only gripe ive found online with it is that it tends to have some light bleed on the screen. Im ready to pull the trigger today, but i just wanted some opinions, especially from anyone who may own this model or variations of it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Bob Morales posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with companies that make those proprietary wireless mice that need a tiny little USB dongle?

:argh:

Logitech mice are awesome, you take that back.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

My guess is that there's licensing for Bluetooth that makes Bluetooth mice cost significantly more than USB nub ones. Plus most desktops don't have Bluetooth anyways so you'd need one there too.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

My girlfriend's old-as-sin MacBook Air is on its way out and she's looking for a new laptop for school and pleasure. She wants the following:

-Can run a web browser, Netflix, and Skype at the same time
-Upgradeable RAM in case she needs to do very basic video editing (think presentations) or music recording with something like the light version of Ableton
-Has a nicer form factor similar to the MacBook Air line without paying Mac prices - this is actually the most important thing to her, she doesn't want it to look like a big square thing.

It'd be great to hit the $640 price point, I think we can probably go lower since what she wants is so basic but I know you guys will offer the expertise!

Anything jump to mind?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anything with upgradeable RAM probably isnt going to be Macbook Air-thin.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Oh, thin isn't that important. Square and ugly is the bad. :v:

She would be happy with something MacBook Pro size if it looked nice~

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

ExcessBLarg! posted:

My guess is that there's licensing for Bluetooth that makes Bluetooth mice cost significantly more than USB nub ones. Plus most desktops don't have Bluetooth anyways so you'd need one there too.

That doesn't exactly make sense, because often the nubs are running over bluetooth themselves. I think it's more to simplify the pairing process as people are bad at such things.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
While some of them do use Bluetooth nubs the vast majority do not.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I believe the 2.4ghz dongles tend to have much lower latency than bluetooth.

I know that WiFi-Direct has been used for a lot of game controllers lately because of the unavoidable latency in bluetooth.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Skandranon posted:

That doesn't exactly make sense, because often the nubs are running over bluetooth themselves. I think it's more to simplify the pairing process as people are bad at such things.

A lot of them use radio frequencies instead of bluetooth unless im mistaken.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Quidnose posted:

My girlfriend's old-as-sin MacBook Air is on its way out and she's looking for a new laptop for school and pleasure. She wants the following:

-Can run a web browser, Netflix, and Skype at the same time
-Upgradeable RAM in case she needs to do very basic video editing (think presentations) or music recording with something like the light version of Ableton
-Has a nicer form factor similar to the MacBook Air line without paying Mac prices - this is actually the most important thing to her, she doesn't want it to look like a big square thing.

It'd be great to hit the $640 price point, I think we can probably go lower since what she wants is so basic but I know you guys will offer the expertise!

Anything jump to mind?

Wait for the 13" Air to show up on Slickdeals for $799 again?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
After being announced in August for an October-November release, the ThinkPad P50 is finally available in the US direct from Lenovo: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/p50/

My W530 is slowly failing so I'll probably buy this. Is there anything else competing with a P50 with the requirements of
  • Matte screen
  • Touchpad that has actual buttons
  • Reasonably powerful CPU
  • Will last years before breaking
A lot of the newer laptops I looked at had a glossy screen and/or no buttons, both of which are total deal-killers for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fruit Chewy posted:

I believe the 2.4ghz dongles tend to have much lower latency than bluetooth.

grimcreaper posted:

Bluetooth IS 2.4ghz radio frequencies.

The issue is down to the protocol itself, it just isn't a low latency protocol and this can be seen anywhere from input to audio. That and the bluetooth stacks for devices tend to be on the lovely side.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Malloc Voidstar posted:

After being announced in August for an October-November release, the ThinkPad P50 is finally available in the US direct from Lenovo: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/p50/

The P70 can be configured with a Xeon, 8GB video card, 3840 x 2160 IPS screen, 64GB of RAM, and 4 storage drives?

:awesomelon:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Haha I have exsi hosts with less power than those.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

grimcreaper posted:

Yes, many of them do as well, mine is using something in the 1000Hz range, I was just saying that the usage of nubs probably isn't due to Bluetooth licencing, but because it's so much easier to have a good user experience with one, rather than "Follow these directions to pair the mouse with your built in Bluetooth. Hope you installed the drivers for it. Oh, you don't have Bluetooth built in? Well then, here is a nub, just plug it in and it works like magic".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numtini
Feb 7, 2010

quote:

I'm not seeing that. You can get two of those, but not all three. I found a last years xenbook with a 256ssd and 8gb of RAM for $629 on Amazon. I think that's as close as you're getting. You're giving up upgradeable RAM in favor of just buying 8 in the first place. It would be a hundred or two more, but I'd set an alert for a MacBook Air on refurb.me and nab a 13 or 14 when they come up--Apple refurbs are pristine.

On the "doesn't need to be thin just attractive" thing. Being an MB Air owner who works often with those generic 15.6" boat anchors at work, I would strap the dying MBA to a 2 pound brick and let her drag that around for a while before she decides it's ok. Once you get used to an under 3 pound laptop, dragging something bigger around becomes really intolerable.