Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Psycho Landlord posted:

Doesn't Elma have to press buttons and poo poo on the central computer to transfer back? I seem to recall that happening. So presumably she needed someone on site to initiate the process.

Nope. She summons a holographic control doohickey from her left hand and fiddles with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6_3iQXQ7Ng&t=212s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Bedurndurn posted:

Nope. She summons a holographic control doohickey from her left hand and fiddles with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6_3iQXQ7Ng&t=212s

Welp. Maybe the stupid space mind hologram has a maximum range or something, given that every other time she goes through Sci-fi hand gadget motions she uses the same PDA everyone else uses.
Or, more likely, no one thought that bit through.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume the actual reason is that she has no idea of the current state of the Lifehold and it could be underwater or filled with toxic waste or some poo poo that would kill her as soon as she got out.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Not sure what to think of the overall combat experience of this game. It starts off slow...very slow for the first many hours. After some levels and story chapters are complete, you get to see the depth of the ground combat and it is quite a deep refined system which i enjoyed. Then your given skells which in terms of combat take a step back, and feel simple. A monster you cant handle in a skell means you get a bigger gun, possibly levels for a lvl 50 skell frame......and what you couldnt handle before is now dead in literally 1 second. Then you finish the game and grind out a ares90 and everything dies within seconds minus only a handful of creatures that i can count on 1 hand.

So guess my point is the start and endgame combat seem shallow,boring and forgettable. I finished the game few days ago and now im slowly surveying 100% of the zones, completing quests and grinding trash or global bosses to craft augments to eventually 1 shot the remaining 5ish things my ares90 cant kill yet.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

What's the most efficient way to get an Ares 90 again? I'm sure it's somewhere in the deep recesses of this thread, but looking would be an exercise in futility I bet. Also, exactly what do I need to do to fight Global Nemeses and how do I not screw it up royally?

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Alxprit posted:

What's the most efficient way to get an Ares 90 again? I'm sure it's somewhere in the deep recesses of this thread, but looking would be an exercise in futility I bet. Also, exactly what do I need to do to fight Global Nemeses and how do I not screw it up royally?

If you have an ether blossom build built even remotely built, then just fight Yggdra Zero over and over and ticket every item. If not then make one unless you really don't want to ether blossom, in which case then make sure your skell has EM storm resist and Brimstone resist (still a decent idea on ground) and go to town on him with some other players. If you can't do it with a base Amudusias then make some gravity resists augments or throw in any you got during your play since his big damage against you will be a gravity spike.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I didnt realize I would have to worry about my teammate's skell fuel as well. And it takes so much miranium to refuel even mine (not that I've needed to yet), it just seems impractical.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I didnt realize I would have to worry about my teammate's skell fuel as well. And it takes so much miranium to refuel even mine (not that I've needed to yet), it just seems impractical.

Unless you're actively grinding in your skells, you don't really need to worry about fuel. That miranium cost is pretty piddly once you get your probes set up nicely anyway.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there a guide or site somewhere that has the best way to set up your probes? Honestly I've kinda been throwing them up wherever.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Is there a guide or site somewhere that has the best way to set up your probes? Honestly I've kinda been throwing them up wherever.

Someone posted this link a few pages back. Perhaps the OP should put it in the first post.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

OK then. Well how do you get more probes? I've got a bunch of different ones, but not enough to fill the map like that post details, but I don't exactly know HOW I got them.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Make sure your pals don't have any shields equipped on their skells, because they're just going to constantly spam those arts regardless if they're appropriate or not.

I'm powering up my skell!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

I assume the actual reason is that she has no idea of the current state of the Lifehold and it could be underwater or filled with toxic waste or some poo poo that would kill her as soon as she got out.

Either that or it makes some sense that they would want actual security in the lifehold and not want anyone to be able to directly mess with its operations or hack it from the outside. The situation they find themselves where they have lost the lifehold and don't know where it is is actually a weird one that they understandably may not have anticipated.

Also, if you think about it, the whole situation is loving nuts. They shouldn't be able to control their mims remotely because they have no line of sight for radio communications with the lifehold since there is no satellite network and they use the FN grid that you help build to handle long-range communications. They even say that the whole situation is strange. But Elma can control her mim so I guess space alien technology magic, or Mira is helping her and she doesn't know it, or who the gently caress knows. Mira is a big old 'a wizard did it' plot device.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Hey, do you have any F-waves that steal fuel from mechs? if so, you can get a fair bit at once from the entrances to two of the Prone bases in Oblivia. The Southern one and the one in the center. Just get to the middle of a concentration of enemies, fire your F-wave to get ~1500 -3000 fuel back, then run away to disengage. The southern one's entrance is lower level I believe.

Also, on leveling, if you still need advice there: What was recommended to me, and which got me up to the mid 40s was to get a few Insectoid Slayer XX augs for my skell and a G buster, and kill a bunch of the level ~40ish ballsack bugs on Talon Rock's Third Terrae. The G-Buster is pretty strong, so it will be able to kill them reasonably easily, and that will level you up reasonably quickly.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Ashsaber posted:

Hey, do you have any F-waves that steal fuel from mechs? if so, you can get a fair bit at once from the entrances to two of the Prone bases in Oblivia. The Southern one and the one in the center. Just get to the middle of a concentration of enemies, fire your F-wave to get ~1500 -3000 fuel back, then run away to disengage. The southern one's entrance is lower level I believe.

While that's interesting, the problem for me is keeping fuel up for my teammates. I assume with this f-wave I would have to go back to NLA, switch the own of the Skell from my teammate to me, do back and do this back-and-forth for every skell.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fuel regenerates even when you arent playing the game, so refuelling is largely a non-issue. Or just go lop limbs off big indigens on-foot.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

While that's interesting, the problem for me is keeping fuel up for my teammates. I assume with this f-wave I would have to go back to NLA, switch the own of the Skell from my teammate to me, do back and do this back-and-forth for every skell.

Yeah, that is an issue, but this method means you can refuel a heavy skell in just a few minutes. A light one takes only a couple uses before its full. If you want to save miranium its a good method, but thats pretty much it.

Other than breaking limbs, at least.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Switch the order in the party menu to take control of any skell at any time. Swap in the F Wave, and get your fuel siphoning on.

Or just take the gauge reading empty as a reason to take a break.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Does Miranium have a significant use besides refueling once you have all of the AM maxed out? Right now I keep wasting it making augment slots in stuff, even though I am never going to farm 30 bear asses or whatever to make any of the good augments.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pain of Mind posted:

Does Miranium have a significant use besides refueling once you have all of the AM maxed out? Right now I keep wasting it making augment slots in stuff, even though I am never going to farm 30 bear asses or whatever to make any of the good augments.

Crafting gear for both ground and Skells.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

You use it for crafting rare stuff. You'll be swimming in enough for that though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This game plays a lot more fun than it looks, I wrote it off until I got in the mood for some mindless grinding and I haven't regretted it even after getting out of that mood because the story's interesting. A couple of questions I haven't found answers for online:
--Is there one place to locally sort out your party, or do I need to hunt each person down every time?
--The Lost Memento basic quest (find a locket in Oblivia), it's framed like the lost keycard quest which had a pretty nice reward so I want to do it, but I haven't found anything online about where the locket is. Can anyone shed light on that?
--Is there any sort of translation of stars into level of enemies (other than "more = harder", I figured that part out)? Affinity missions list the minimum level and normal missions seem to become available after I can handle them (maybe that's just because I've been slow at main quests, I don't know what triggers their unlocks) but it's annoying to grab a "kill X" quest because I'm headed that way for something I CAN do, only to find out the guys there are 15 levels higher than me.
--Finally, online disconnection issues, is that due to the WiiU's spotty wifi (and the game having no way to reconnect short of exiting to the title screen) or is it server-side? The ethernet adapter doesn't cost much but I try to keep extra dongles to a minimum and it'd be a shame to get one if that doesn't fix the problem.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bruceski posted:

This game plays a lot more fun than it looks, I wrote it off until I got in the mood for some mindless grinding and I haven't regretted it even after getting out of that mood because the story's interesting. A couple of questions I haven't found answers for online:
--Is there one place to locally sort out your party, or do I need to hunt each person down every time?
--The Lost Memento basic quest (find a locket in Oblivia), it's framed like the lost keycard quest which had a pretty nice reward so I want to do it, but I haven't found anything online about where the locket is. Can anyone shed light on that?
--Is there any sort of translation of stars into level of enemies (other than "more = harder", I figured that part out)? Affinity missions list the minimum level and normal missions seem to become available after I can handle them (maybe that's just because I've been slow at main quests, I don't know what triggers their unlocks) but it's annoying to grab a "kill X" quest because I'm headed that way for something I CAN do, only to find out the guys there are 15 levels higher than me.
--Finally, online disconnection issues, is that due to the WiiU's spotty wifi (and the game having no way to reconnect short of exiting to the title screen) or is it server-side? The ethernet adapter doesn't cost much but I try to keep extra dongles to a minimum and it'd be a shame to get one if that doesn't fix the problem.

-Hunt'em down across NLA. If someone's not where they're supposed to be, they're at a Heart-to-Heart moment at that time of day and you'll need to go roaming the city to find it. There's an overheard comment about where and when they each are to be found around the city too. "I saw Elma hanging around the West gate last night", that sort of thing.

-"Find a non-Collectable thing" basic quests have you chase down a Red Collectible. Set it as your designated mission, and you should get a marker on the map.

-Not really

-Get the ethernet adapter, the onboard wireless sucks badly.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bruceski posted:

I think that's the one in the cave full of bugs in west Oblivia. The entrance is directly south of one of the westernmost probe points, and its overlooking the big bottomless hole. I think if you talk to the quest giver or somewhere in the text it gives the name of the cave which should be easier to google if my description just confuses you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zedprime posted:

I think that's the one in the cave full of bugs in west Oblivia. The entrance is directly south of one of the westernmost probe points, and its overlooking the big bottomless hole. I think if you talk to the quest giver or somewhere in the text it gives the name of the cave which should be easier to google if my description just confuses you.

Oh, I think I know that drat cave. North-side of the abyss, near where you first met the Ma-Non, there's a cave entrance. It's at the back of that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

zedprime posted:

I think if you talk to the quest giver or somewhere in the text it gives the name of the cave which should be easier to google if my description just confuses you.

Hunting them down hadn't occurred to me, I'll remember that for other questions (though some times I HAVE tried that haven't helped). I was meaning to go explore those caves anyway.

And yeah I know about hunting party members down in the wild, I'm curious if, once found, there's some central UI hub. It's a bit annoying to do the shlepping if I want to change multiple party members at once, particularly if I haven't yet decided who I want to bring (or "oh yeah, that setup leaves two low-leveled guys in my group at the same time"). Sounds like that's my only option though.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Bruceski posted:

And yeah I know about hunting party members down in the wild, I'm curious if, once found, there's some central UI hub. It's a bit annoying to do the shlepping if I want to change multiple party members at once, particularly if I haven't yet decided who I want to bring (or "oh yeah, that setup leaves two low-leveled guys in my group at the same time"). Sounds like that's my only option though.

Yeah that's one of the most boneheaded design decisions in this game and you're just going to have to deal with it. I eventually started keeping a notepad file with everyone's locations along with their current level and affinity just to save time.

Might as well paste the locations in here since I have them to hand:

Alexa
Test hangar entrance, Industrial district

Boze
SW corner of Commercial district

Celica
Beside production plant, Industrial district

Doug
Hangar under Administrative district

Elma
Barracks

Frye
Diner, Industrial district

HB
East of water plant, Residential district

Hope
Park, Residential district

Irina
Just south of Barracks entrance

Gwin
North of Division Drive, Admin District

L
West Armory Alley, Admin District

Lao
North of Division Drive, Admin District

Lin
Barracks

Murderess
South of Division Drive, Admin District

Nagi (this one's a bit spoilery I guess, I certainly wasn't expecting it)
West of Blade Tower entrance, Admin District

Phog
Park, Residential District

Yelv
Alley in SE Commercial district

I haven't finished Mia's quest chain yet so no idea about her.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So the companions that don't give Achievements - like Alexa - they're DLC from the Japanese version right? Just curious, I can't see any other reason for it.

I wish more of the xenoforms were recruitable. You come across so many characters that SEEM like they'd be really easy to make into a recruitable character but nope.

And is there any secret to getting the "Marry Me" basic mission to appear? I check constantly and nothing so far. I assume it's the quest for Hope since she's the only person I don't have from the list above!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Its just in the random pool. Keep checking the console until it pops up. Sont bother trying to actually do it, just go straight to Hope's quest once you get it.

Also Mia's hangout is atop the Ma-Non ship, just outside the entrance to the Starboard section.

edit: Okay, what the hell is the unlock prerequisite for "A Fateful Choice"? I've done literally everything else in NLA, but On'Tonam's still just hanging out eating tree leaves and making conversation.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 13, 2016

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Anyone know a good way to get octopus boards? Xe-Doms seem to drop them so little (or at least the one in Primordia did) that ticket farming almost seems like a better way of getting them. A bunch of the (IMO) cooler super weapons use them, so it would be nice to have an easier way to get them.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

YMMV but I killed a single Xe-Dom in Cauldros and got an Octopus Board from it. I dunno if the drop rates are different between regions

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I was able to get three level 50 G Busters, including one with a 45 second cooldown, 35000 atk, and boosts to back attacks and crits by farming the first mob in front of me when I teleport to Badr Basin. Are these the same mobs I can farm for the level 50 Phoenix?

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Dishwasher posted:

I was able to get three level 50 G Busters, including one with a 45 second cooldown, 35000 atk, and boosts to back attacks and crits by farming the first mob in front of me when I teleport to Badr Basin. Are these the same mobs I can farm for the level 50 Phoenix?

Yes, as well as the 42k damage 150 G-Buster and the 9k damage 450GG Pheonix.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Turns out the Lost Memento quest I was confused about DOES have a minimap indicator you can track. I was positive I had checked that before coming here, which is what made me think it was something special, but I guess I was wrong. Are there any basic missions to keep an eye out for other than Marry Me (to unlock the affinity quest for a new party member) and the lost keycard in NLA, or is everything else just filler and the interesting missions are normal and up?

Also, now that I have a Skell, sometimes the camera jumps to a cockpit view for a few seconds. Am I supposed to do something there or is it just to make things incredibly disorienting?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Bruceski posted:

Turns out the Lost Memento quest I was confused about DOES have a minimap indicator you can track. I was positive I had checked that before coming here, which is what made me think it was something special, but I guess I was wrong. Are there any basic missions to keep an eye out for other than Marry Me (to unlock the affinity quest for a new party member) and the lost keycard in NLA, or is everything else just filler and the interesting missions are normal and up?

Also, now that I have a Skell, sometimes the camera jumps to a cockpit view for a few seconds. Am I supposed to do something there or is it just to make things incredibly disorienting?

The manual explains this very briefly but the cockpit view resets all cool downs. It has a 10% chance to activate with any skell art and 30% chance when in overdrive.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I got an orange phoenix and orange 42000 damage gbuster from the same guy. I was not even farming.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Luminaflare posted:

The manual explains this very briefly but the cockpit view resets all cool downs. It has a 10% chance to activate with any skell art and 30% chance when in overdrive.

And as an added effect, makes me want to throw up, great. I should re-read the manual, though, I skimmed the Skell part the first time and I may have missed other stuff.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ashsaber posted:

Anyone know a good way to get octopus boards? Xe-Doms seem to drop them so little (or at least the one in Primordia did) that ticket farming almost seems like a better way of getting them. A bunch of the (IMO) cooler super weapons use them, so it would be nice to have an easier way to get them.

There's a bit at Or Simh in Cauldros with three Xe-doms in a relatively small area with a fast travel point in the middle of them. You can thwack them down quick with the G-Buster, re-travel or Return to Skell and as a bonus get Gold Crests while you're at it.

Luminaflare posted:

Getting Pilot Modes/Cockpit Views also increases the chance of getting an Overdrive extension.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just started this game but already a 14-year-old mechanical genius offered to read me her Skell fanfic.

So I know this game is gonna be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So I know I have asked this before but I'm still not certain. The quest for level 5 Mechanics is from the board right? How do I get it to appear? Do I have to be at number 4 with everything?

• Locked thread