Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

The Workshop mirrors are legitimately some of the most interesting matches of Magic I've ever played.

But do you play Ensnaring Bridge, Bazaar of Baghdad, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, and Leyline of the Void in the Shops mirror?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

He can't answer that question publicly

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Cernunnos posted:

Neither would a WotC employee. :v:

At least they've been steadily improving since they started.

I love Force of Will's use of "trigger" and "continuous" to designate between triggered and static abilities. This would solve, like, 1/5th of my judge calls if Magic used that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pictured: An evil and illegal copyright violation that I committed when my buddies were having an unsanctioned tournament a few years ago. I'm a counterfeiter!

On that note, since I'm already on WotC's poo poo list:

I just bought two Vintage decks from a nice man in China.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

And that was the last anyone heard from Chamale. He was found the next morning shot through the chest three times and covered in ripped up counterfeit cards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Chamale posted:

Pictured: An evil and illegal copyright violation that I committed when my buddies were having an unsanctioned tournament a few years ago. I'm a counterfeiter!

If you played that card I'd give you a game loss. How am I supposed to know which 1BB Lili it is?! You have to mark your cards properly.

rabidsquid posted:

He can't answer that question publicly

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

suicidesteve posted:

If you played that card I'd give you a game loss. How am I supposed to know which 1BB Lili it is?! You have to mark your cards properly.

It's the Liliana with a plus ability to make both players discard a card

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

On that note, since I'm already on WotC's poo poo list:

Tell me more (via PM)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 14, 2016

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Chamale posted:

You should be a cool dude and mark those in some way so that no one can use them at some point to try and rip someone off.

The chinese fakes in my cube all have "Fake" written on the back in Sharpie so that no one can try to rip someone off if I sell my cards or otherwise lose them.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The worst part about this whole situation is that people are going to stop caring in a week and OGW is going to make WoTC a quadrillion dollars.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

[–]Anerky
I know that this is probably a controversial opinion, but many collectors (myself excluded) have bought these cards for thousands of dollars. How would you feel if you had a $10k black lotus, and tomorrow they announced they were going to reprint it, your card might not even be worth a tenth of that. This protects collectors, and keeps Magic a Trading Card Game.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lottery of Babylon posted:

[–]Anerky
I know that this is probably a controversial opinion, but many collectors (myself excluded) have bought these cards for thousands of dollars. How would you feel if you had a $10k black lotus, and tomorrow they announced they were going to reprint it, your card might not even be worth a tenth of that. This protects collectors, and keeps Magic a Trading Card Game.

I would glady have my entire collection value be 1/1000 of what it is if it opened up all formats to players.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

[–]Anerky

The amusing thing is that the people who own those cards are pro-reprints, and the people who are anti-reprints generally don't own them.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

You should be a cool dude and mark those in some way so that no one can use them at some point to try and rip someone off.

The chinese fakes in my cube all have "Fake" written on the back in Sharpie so that no one can try to rip someone off if I sell my cards or otherwise lose them.

Yeah, I'm going to do that. These dudes are sketchy, their first email responding to my inquiries was asking if I'd like to sell counterfeits for profit. But I'm not worried about being defrauded because I'm paying through Paypal, so if they try to rip me off I'll get my money back.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Chamale posted:

Yeah, I'm going to do that. These dudes are sketchy, their first email responding to my inquiries was asking if I'd like to sell counterfeits for profit. But I'm not worried about being defrauded because I'm paying through Paypal, so if they try to rip me off I'll get my money back.

Yikes.

Yeah, I may or may not own some of these. I wrote (in Sharpie, so they're DOUBLE bad) PROXY on the back of them.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Alris posted:

Why, just out of curiousity?

Because the barrier for entry is relatively low in those formats and if you push it any lower you actually start to significantly devalue the cards. My wife and I spend a lot of time and drafts assembling our collection and at the very least make sure we can build the decks we want to in Standard. We trade prolifically and we've got quite a few budget and not-so budget Modern decks built just off what we've gotten on Pucatrade and through limited tournaments. The foundation of the game is collecting and building - if you chuck that you might as well play Magic Workstation exclusively.

With formats like Legacy and Vintage, the barrier for entry is too high. The only way to play in those formats for close to a reasonable price is to play online or to use proxies. It's obvious that Wizards sees MTGO as the venue for the future of Legacy and Vintage - unfortunately they have not put the time in to build a good technical foundation or really do much to foster either format there.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Pussy Snorkel posted:

The amusing thing is that the people who own those cards are pro-reprints, and the people who are anti-reprints generally don't own them.

They're just temporarily embarrassed power nine owners.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Yup.

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/beta-edition/birds-of-paradise

I think WOTCs reasons for not reprinting more aggressively have more to do with their business plan than any real concern for collectors, but the reserve list is a great excuse. I don't mind that tbh, even if I disagree and I've defended them a lot when posters itt make to lots of complaints about the reserve list, but goddamn are they dumb acting as if a kid writing "Library" on a random common is a serious threat to their IP.

Chamale posted:

That's kinda weird. All the Chinese fakes I own came to me from other players so I've never hazarded the wild lands of alibaba or whatever.

Don't get banned in a DCI sting operation :lol:

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 13, 2016

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
There's no way they are saying you can't marker proxy your foils and money rares in a redraft rares game right?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It is exactly what they are saying.

Emerson Cod posted:

Because the barrier for entry is relatively low in those formats and if you push it any lower you actually start to significantly devalue the cards.

Dude its 100's of dollars to play a game that's still a significant barrier to entry, what do you care if some kids proxy up standard decks? Its not like they get to participate in organized play and they aren't going to participate in the "marketplace" otherwise so its not like you and your wife are losing out on a chance to fleece them as you play binder grinder on friday night.

EDIT: before you take offense, I am a huge binder grinder myself I really enjoy it. But the person sleeving up a proxy deck isn't the person who is going to go "oh man, i guess ill just play a budget brew or pony up the bucks for a real deck" they just aren't going to play at all

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 13, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Babylon Astronaut posted:

There's no way they are saying you can't marker proxy your foils and money rares in a redraft rares game right?

Have fun in prison you criminal piece of poo poo

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

This format where decks cost over $1,000 is pretty cheap if you compare it to this other format where decks cost over $16,000 so if you think about it you're actually saving money.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So, if I were to get a box of the Collectors' Edition from back in the day, then could I play them in unsanctioned games? They're not counterfeit, not legal for sanctioned play, and I don't have to alter them to represent another card, so I think they should be all right?

edit: the subtext is "in wotc's view", obviously

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Emerson Cod posted:

Because the barrier for entry is relatively low in those formats and if you push it any lower you actually start to significantly devalue the cards.

Magic is at serious risk of not being expensive enough

Magic, is at serious risk, of not being expensive enough

Magic is at ser-
ious risk of not being
expensive enough

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It is exactly what they are saying.

Dude its 100's of dollars to play a game, what do you care if some kids proxy up standard decks? Its not like they get to participate in organized play and they aren't going to participate in the "marketplace" otherwise so its not like you and your wife are losing out on a chance to fleece them as you play binder grinder on friday night.

EDIT: before you take offense, I am a huge binder grinder myself I really enjoy it. But the person sleeving up a proxy deck isn't the person who is going to go "oh man, i guess ill just play a budget brew or pony up the bucks for a real deck" they just aren't going to play at all

Most of the stores I've played at that run proxy events actually sanction them or don't make it clear to the players that they're not sanctioning. That's the problem Wizards is trying to deal with - stores run proxy events alongside real tournaments without much distinction. If a playgroup wants to play with fake cards who cares? But if a store, as part of the WPN with all the benefits that come with that want to put on tournaments with counterfeit cards they should be discouraged from that. Wizards seemed mostly fine with letting Vintage and even Legacy tournaments be played with "proxies" but I really think that the trend of Standard and Modern "proxy" tournaments have been a major factor in recent events.

I don't take offence to that, but it's not true. I make sure that whoever I'm trading with is happy with whatever the trade is and that it's a fair TCG Mid equivalent checked on MTG Familiar. I even give trade advice to newer players regarding holding onto staples and good buy/sell times. That's why I'm a fan of Pucatrade - it's completely transparent and you're always trading for the current fair value of the cards.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

odiv posted:

So, if I were to get a box of the Collectors' Edition from back in the day, then could I play them in unsanctioned games? They're not counterfeit, not legal for sanctioned play, and I don't have to alter them to represent another card, so I think they should be all right?

edit: the subtext is "in wotc's view", obviously

I was making this argument on Facebook, except with the gold-bordered World Championship decks.

Loophole? Loophole.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Emerson Cod posted:

Most of the stores I've played at that run proxy events actually sanction them or don't make it clear to the players that they're not sanctioning. That's the problem Wizards is trying to deal with - stores run proxy events alongside real tournaments without much distinction. If a playgroup wants to play with fake cards who cares? But if a store, as part of the WPN with all the benefits that come with that want to put on tournaments with counterfeit cards they should be discouraged from that. Wizards seemed mostly fine with letting Vintage and even Legacy tournaments be played with "proxies" but I really think that the trend of Standard and Modern "proxy" tournaments have been a major factor in recent events.

I don't take offence to that, but it's not true. I make sure that whoever I'm trading with is happy with whatever the trade is and that it's a fair TCG Mid equivalent checked on MTG Familiar. I even give trade advice to newer players regarding holding onto staples and good buy/sell times. That's why I'm a fan of Pucatrade - it's completely transparent and you're always trading for the current fair value of the cards.

Most of the stores I play at, well, we'd kill a mother fucker. Just put him right in the dirt, for proxying Standard. The game is in danger, and only you and I can save it Emerson Cod.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I didn't know Trick had an SA account. :v:

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
The game isn't in danger at all. Organized play has issues and Wizards really needs to get rid of the reserved list. I mean, the amount of backlash their eliciting from recent moves is much more than they'd get for scrapping the reserved list.

There's an economy built into the game and, especially recently, they've been doing a good job designing sets that play into that. You can build a deck that can win FNM for $10 but you increase your chances by spending more money or by putting in more time to trade up to the cards you need/want. If someone can print off a playset of Jace Vryn's Prodigy or whatever other card they want to play without putting in the investment or borrowing the cards from someone who did what's the point of that?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The sunk cost fallacy is the safest business model around!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
There's nowhere to go but up, really!

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Don't want to spend money on Magic? Play Magic Workstation. Play with post-it notes with card names and CMCs scrawled on them. No one is stopping you from playing the game, but it isn't fair for players who aren't willing to invest to play in tournaments for money or other prizes.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Emerson Cod posted:

Don't want to spend money on Magic? Play Magic Workstation. Play with post-it notes with card names and CMCs scrawled on them. No one is stopping you from playing the game, but it isn't fair for players who aren't willing to invest to play in tournaments for money or other prizes.

Emerson Cod posted:

No one is stopping you from playing the game, but it isn't fair for players who aren't willing to invest to play in tournaments for money or other prizes.

Emerson Cod posted:

but it isn't fair for players who aren't willing to invest to play in tournaments for money or other prizes.

#mtgfinance

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Emerson Cod posted:

If someone can print off a playset of Jace Vryn's Prodigy or whatever other card they want to play without putting in the investment or borrowing the cards from someone who did what's the point of that?

I dunno, but I heard a rumor that "games" are meant to provide this thing called "fun".

Sounds fake to me but it's what the rumor is.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Emerson Cod posted:

I make money playing MODO without grinding and I don't give the slightest gently caress about my collection.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Emerson Cod posted:

If a playgroup wants to play with fake cards who cares?

Let's ask Mike Robles, community manager for Wizards of the Coast.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Ramos posted:

#mtgfinance

I mean you can also "invest" in a nice chess set or good baseball glove so the word itself isn't poison, but placed in context with literal stock market style tickers for Magic cards, yeahhh

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I don't know, I think I'm just allergic to the word "invest" around Magic at this point. It gets a bit tiresome constantly hearing about people investing in a deck or investing in a card, whereas other hobbies use notably different diction for the most part, like, say, "buy" or just "get". Buy a soccer ball, get a new sewing machine, etc, etc. People rarely use invest for that sort of stuff, but then most things don't cost nearly as much either.

Ugh.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Emerson Cod posted:

Because the barrier for entry is relatively low in those formats and if you push it any lower you actually start to significantly devalue the cards. My wife and I spend a lot of time and drafts assembling our collection and at the very least make sure we can build the decks we want to in Standard. We trade prolifically and we've got quite a few budget and not-so budget Modern decks built just off what we've gotten on Pucatrade and through limited tournaments. The foundation of the game is collecting and building - if you chuck that you might as well play Magic Workstation exclusively.

With formats like Legacy and Vintage, the barrier for entry is too high. The only way to play in those formats for close to a reasonable price is to play online or to use proxies. It's obvious that Wizards sees MTGO as the venue for the future of Legacy and Vintage - unfortunately they have not put the time in to build a good technical foundation or really do much to foster either format there.

i really want you to think about the fact that you are justifying modern, the second "cheapest" (lmao) popular format, being a format where all but the worst decks -- where a deck is just a cube of differently painted cardboard -- are financially comparable to a Running Car.

like, not even a whole board game, but one deck of many.

and even if thats something you're fine with, you're saying you're glad that children and poor people can't play in fake tournaments next to the Real Adults who have money for cardboard.

jesus loving christ my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Ramos posted:

I don't know, I think I'm just allergic to the word "invest" around Magic at this point. It gets a bit tiresome constantly hearing about people investing in a deck or investing in a card, whereas other hobbies use notably different diction for the most part, like, say, "buy" or just "get". Buy a soccer ball, get a new sewing machine, etc, etc. People rarely use invest for that sort of stuff, but then most things don't cost nearly as much either.

Ugh.

idk "invest in a new sewing machine" is a reasonable phrase but thats usually "hey upgrade from the hand-me-down one to the $300 one because it will add a lot of features and last you forever, if that's what you want" and not "you aren't allowed to sew and will be kicked out of the sewing store if you don't do this, and if you do you can only sew pillows because the clothing sewing machine is the $800 one"

• Locked thread