Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "Sen. Sanders wands to devolve the authority to set up state health insurance programs to individual state governors. Now maybe if I lived in a place like New Hampshire, with your governor, I would feel okay about that. But if I lived in a state that had a Republican governor, particularly a Republican governor who already turned down Medicaid expansion matching funds, I don't think I would be comfortable, right? Because I don't want to live in a country that has an unequal health care system again." ~ Chelsea Clinton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Oh for sure man

Having not one, but two people who are so ashamed of their heritage that they try to be as white as possible is quite the accomplishment.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

He does like to drink a lot of water.

Now is the time for me to repost Politico's hard-hitting drat Rubio Drinks A Fuckton of Water exposé

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "Sen. Sanders wands to devolve the authority to set up state health insurance programs to individual state governors. Now maybe if I lived in a place like New Hampshire, with your governor, I would feel okay about that. But if I lived in a state that had a Republican governor, particularly a Republican governor who already turned down Medicaid expansion matching funds, I don't think I would be comfortable, right? Because I don't want to live in a country that has an unequal health care system again." ~ Chelsea Clinton.

While I'm happy I can finally get insurance, I really don't feel I get the same care as Her.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Now is the time for me to repost Politico's hard-hitting drat Rubio Drinks A Fuckton of Water exposé

*updates likely-reptilians.xlsx*

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Clinton attacks on Bernie's health care ideas has been the most baffling and ugly part of the Democratic primary thus far.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

GalacticAcid posted:

The Clinton attacks on Bernie's health care ideas has been the most baffling and ugly part of the Democratic primary thus far.

It's really amazing and funny how obviously scared they are of him.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

It's really amazing and funny how obviously scared they are of him.

Nobody wants a repeat of 2008 I can tell you that much.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

GalacticAcid posted:

To me, it's bizarre to use your (non-politician) kid as an attack dog. What's he going to do, chastise the other candidate's kid?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Another reminder of just how much being President physically kicks the poo poo out of you:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Lotka Volterra posted:

To me, it's bizarre to use your (non-politician) kid as an attack dog. What's he going to do, chastise the other candidate's kid?

Chelsea is completely in step with the rest of the campaign here though, Hillary attacked Bernie on this front herself yesterday and her press secretary is beating the same drum on Twitter tonight.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

GalacticAcid posted:

Chelsea is completely in step with the rest of the campaign here though, Hillary attacked Bernie on this front herself yesterday and her press secretary is beating the same drum on Twitter tonight.

This is true, it just seems odd to have your kid attack your opponent, as well, even though I'm sure it isn't exactly abnormal in the political sphere.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

So lets start a fight over single payer!

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
If people spend 12% of their incomes on healthcare now then 9% is a savings of like 25%.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Trabisnikof posted:

At least it demonstrates that Clinton still has those old Third Way tendencies.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Saw this while waiting for the SotU to come up.

https://www.yahoo.com/katiecouric/yahoo-news-live-obergefell-on-the-state-of-the-160457331.html

(Watch the first 1 to 2 mins)

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trabisnikof posted:

I never said it was a smart move, but one interestingly based on possibly overcompensating for the lazy attitude that doomed the campaign in 2008

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Lotka Volterra posted:

This is true, it just seems odd to have your kid attack your opponent, as well, even though I'm sure it isn't exactly abnormal in the political sphere.

It's usually OK when it comes to adult children, one of the Romney sons made the circuit in favor of his father, and it was actually a minor brouhaha over the straight Cheney daughter talking poo poo about the lesbian Cheney daughter as they both tried to support their father.

Then again, Limbaugh had no problem trashing Chelsea when she was actually a child, so I don't think she'd personally give a gently caress of the tut-tutting of media pundits.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Venom Snake posted:

To derail uspol with a snarky pro-Bernie post or not to derail uspol, that is the question.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

To derail uspol with a snarky pro-Bernie post or not to derail uspol, that is the question.

Insert post about Bernie running a positive campaign yet internet supporters being aggressive trash monsters here

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Trivia posted:

Saw this while waiting for the SotU to come up.

https://www.yahoo.com/katiecouric/yahoo-news-live-obergefell-on-the-state-of-the-160457331.html

(Watch the first 1 to 2 mins)

Lost it at "It must be bittersweet"

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

If people spend 12% of their incomes on healthcare now then 9% is a savings of like 25%.

Sure, but taxes are bad. --50% of America.

I'm not sure exactly how Green Mountain Care was shaping up, but I have the impression that the need to raise taxes instead of just arguing that you were trading your premiums for the taxes was exactly the problem with that.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 13, 2016

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

FAUXTON posted:

Lost it at "It must be bittersweet"

It just keeps getting better!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Venom Snake posted:

Insert post about Bernie running a positive campaign yet internet supporters being aggressive trash monsters here

Well I've got some bad news for hildawg if she's worried about a 2008 repeat.

Also lol if Hillary loses due to panicking and committed unforced errors.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Trivia posted:

It just keeps getting better!

"Everyone who came before me" was pretty good too.

e: I mean it's no surprise that Michelle Obama would have a gay man excited to be in her box.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well I've got some bad news for hildawg if she's worried about a 2008 repeat.

Also lol if Hillary loses due to panicking and committed unforced errors.

I think when all the negative reaction to this really gets bad she will walk it back.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Venom Snake posted:

I never said it was a smart move, but one interestingly based on possibly overcompensating for the lazy attitude that doomed the campaign in 2008

I don't know. She may have started out lazy in 2008, but I think a combination of her desperation to shut down Obama through the same type of statements and complaints were at least part of her undoing, then. One of the things I remember is her pivot to try to attract the vote of Appalachia White Democrats who hadn't yet caught on to the party realignment, attack ads like the 3AM phone call, and cute nicknames like Obambi from her supporters. Not to ignore the stupid misogynistic bullshit from the Obama supporters in the Obamarama threads, however.

The very things that make her a great politician like her viciousness could quite possibly hurt her as a campaigner.

e: For Clinton, perhaps things are happening first as a tragedy, then as a farce. :zizek:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The National Guard and FEMA are now having to be deployed to deal with the Flint, MI water crisis. Good job irreversibly poisoning children all over a city just to save a few bucks, Snyder.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/13/u...WT.nav=top-news

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

foobardog posted:

It's usually OK when it comes to adult children, one of the Romney sons made the circuit in favor of his father, and it was actually a minor brouhaha over the straight Cheney daughter talking poo poo about the lesbian Cheney daughter as they both tried to support their father.

Oh, I have no doubt that it's okay in politics to do so, just that it's weird to me as a person because I'm generally not scummy as a matter of course. A normal human being may want to shield their family from becoming political targets, but I am aware of the fact that most politicians (and even more so those running for president) tend not to be normal human beings.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The National Guard and FEMA are now having to be deployed to deal with the Flint, MI water crisis. Good job irreversibly poisoning children all over a city just to save a few bucks, Snyder.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/13/u...WT.nav=top-news

Also note it will cost a shitload to clean up. Just like these 'cost cutting' measures always do.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Lotka Volterra posted:

Oh, I have no doubt that it's okay in politics to do so, just that it's weird to me as a person because I'm generally not scummy as a matter of course. A normal human being may want to shield their family from becoming political targets, but I am aware of the fact that most politicians (and even more so those running for president) tend not to be normal human beings.

It's only slightly ironic when people say anyone who wants power shouldn't have it. How to Fight Presidents is a whole pop history book on how bizarre all of the Presidents have been as people.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Another reminder of just how much being President physically kicks the poo poo out of you:

I turned to my father after the midterm elections and said the same thing. President Obama is going greyer faster than a city covered in ash.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 13, 2016

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Night10194 posted:

Also note it will cost a shitload to clean up. Just like these 'cost cutting' measures always do.

loving Michigan in a nutshell. "We don't have the money to do it right the first time, but we always have the money to do it over." gently caress Michigan, the feeling's forever.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

foobardog posted:

It's only slightly ironic when people say anyone who wants power shouldn't have it. How to Fight Presidents is a whole pop history book on how bizarre all of the Presidents have been as people.

Same reason I enjoy it every time Joe posts that Mo Udall quote. I'll have to check out that book, though, thanks for turning me on to it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

foobardog posted:

Please tell me this book focuses on how to actually engage each president in hand to hand combat.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Venom Snake posted:

This is the post where I use the meme "this but unironically" to humorous effect.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Night10194 posted:

Not counting all the people who got lead poisoning in 20 loving 15.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Not counting all the people who got lead poisoning in 20 loving 15.

While the state continued to insist 'Oh no! Totally no lead in the water!' for loving months.

Snyder should be in prison. I hate my governor. We tried to repeal that lovely Emergency Manager law, and what'd they do? Ignore us.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Rick_Hunter posted:

I turned to my father after the midterm elections and said the same thing. President Obama is going greyer faster than a city covered in ash.

Looks like normal 8 years of aging to me. He looks like a healthy 54 year old. If anything that earlier lower quality picture of him made him look younger than he actually was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well here is at least some good news. From Louisiana.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/13/u...&pgtype=article

Finally, an expansion of Medicaid.

• Locked thread