Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Its ok.

But to each their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZVDa44vK2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWxG0qDj9Ow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLt0nZug-YU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

wyoming posted:

That would've made sense. But instead we have a Master Race Nazi following a Beksiński monolith along with Anime Vader, all living together on a communist super planet.
It's just meaningless imagery of "bad". The Empire at least had a core concept.
e.g. Tarkin didn't worship Palpatine.

They're ideologically confused and in disarray after the fall of the Empire. You're right that it IS a weird mish mash of Nazi and Communist imagery but eh, it worked for me. I see where you're coming from though.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

The Jedi were absolutely, demonstrably unprepared to handle raising a nine-year-old. It's not that training nine-year-olds in the Force is impossible, it's that you can't do it the way the Jedi did.

It's funny; when I was Anakin's age in AOTC, I did think he was being needlessly temperamental, like, why did he have to make things so difficult for Obi-Wan? Now that I'm Obi-Wan's age in AOTC though, I feel like Obi-Wan's the one that was bizarrely cuntish and made everything so much worse than it needed to be.

This is, like, the second conversation they have:

Padme: "Could you guys please catch this murderer who's literally trying to murder me"
Obi-Wan: "Listen: no. We're just here to be meat shields."
Anakin: "Don't worry Padme, we'll do whatever it takes to stop this guy who's literally planting bombs at you."
Obi-Wan: "???? WHO THE gently caress???? DO YOU THINK YOU ARE???? SIT DOWN."

This is what makes it possible to empathize with both of them. You can understand why Anakin is frustrated with Obi-Wan, because Obi-Wan is frequently unfair to him. But you can also understand why Obi-Wan is frustrated with Anakin, because Anakin has a tendency to act out in immature ways. It's a pretty classic father/son relationship. Fathers are oppressive, sons are rebellious. Everyone wanting Anakin and Obi-Wan to be total Bros 4 Lyfe forgot that Obi-Wan was Anakin's dad before he was his best friend.

And I think lots of people miss this, but Anakin and Obi-Wan actually are bonding with each other during the speeder chase. They're still sniping at each other, but unlike before, it looks like they're actually kind of enjoying it. Obi-Wan and Anakin are both sardonic assholes. It's the one thing they actually have in common, so that's how they choose to relate to each other. And, sure enough, that's exactly how their friendship is portrayed in ROTS and TCW. In TCW in particular they're presented like a perpetually bickering, old married couple. Which, given the stark differences in their personalities and their past history as a contentious father/son unit, is the most realistic way I can think of for the relationship to have evolved into a mutually respectful bond between equals.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 13, 2016

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

They're ideologically confused and in disarray after the fall of the Empire. You're right that it IS a weird mish mash of Nazi and Communist imagery but eh, it worked for me. I see where you're coming from though.

(The Force Awakens is an MCU movie.)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Droids are people.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

wyoming posted:

All droids show personality, racist.

Not true chucklehead

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

wyoming posted:

droids show personality
Yes, but are they actually self-aware?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ersatz posted:

We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life.
Does C-3PO subjectively experience that suffering, or is he just pretending to, per his "human-cyborg relations" programming?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ersatz posted:

Does C-3PO subjectively experience that suffering, or is he just pretending to, per his human-cyborg relations programming?

Don't call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight blob of grease.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Bongo Bill posted:

Don't call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight blob of grease.

For context, this is two droids talking to each other in private, early on in A New Hope, which starts off (after the initial chase sequence) with ~15 minutes of two droids talking to each other in private.

If the droids are p-zombies, so is everyone else in the film. And if C-3PO and R2-D2 are people, then so are the battle droids. There are heroes on both sides.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ungulateman posted:

For context, this is two droids talking to each other in private, early on in A New Hope, which starts off (after the initial chase sequence) with ~15 minutes of two droids talking to each other in private.

Return of the Jedi features a droid torture chamber. Droids feel pain. The Clone Wars also has too many instances of R2 freaking out after witnessing other droids get abused.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

ungulateman posted:

http://creativemachines.cornell.edu/AI-vs-AI

Detective No. 27 posted:

Return of the Jedi features a droid torture chamber. Droids feel pain. The Clone Wars also has too many instances of R2 freaking out after witnessing other droids get abused.
What makes you sure that they "feel" the pain that they're programmed to avoid?

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 13, 2016

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ersatz posted:

What makes you sure that you feel the pain you're programmed to avoid?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ersatz posted:

The droid is screaming.

Droids are unlike real-world robots. Star Wars is a metaphor. More to the point, it is a metaphor in the tradition of works of fiction that use the idea of mechanical people to explore the idea of the dehumanizing effects of treating people like machines. This tradition predates the invention of actual robots. Indeed, Star Wars itself was written before anybody knew what robots would be like in reality.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Zoran posted:

What makes you sure that you feel the pain you're programmed to avoid?
I experience qualia.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Ersatz posted:

Well, they're characters in a series of movies, so, more than you I would argue.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Ersatz posted:

I experience qualia.

So do droids. That's why they're people. You're making faulty assumptions based on the physical makeup of fictional, metaphorical characters.

There's a reason I quoted The Merchant of Venice and replaced 'jew' with 'droid'.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ersatz posted:

I experience qualia.

How do I know you're not just pretending to have subjective experiences, per your instincts to get along with other humans like me?

This is just meaningless philosophical masturbation. The droids in Star Wars are alive because they think and react exactly as humans do. Star Wars is not a sci-fi series interested in the technicalities of sentience.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

ungulateman posted:

So do droids. That's why they're people. You're making faulty assumptions based on the physical makeup of fictional, metaphorical characters.

There's a reason I quoted The Merchant of Venice and replaced 'jew' with 'droid'.
I'm asking for a justification of your assumptions. Why, for example, do you assume that droids experience qualia?

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 13, 2016

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Zoran posted:

How do I know you're not just pretending to have subjective experiences, per your instincts to get along with other humans like me?

This is just meaningless philosophical masturbation. The droids in Star Wars are alive because they think and react exactly as humans do. Star Wars is not a sci-fi series interested in the technicalities of sentience.
Maybe I'm a chat bot, like SMG.

It's not meaningless in the context of a discussion about whether it was ethical for Anakin to kill battle droids.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think it was ethical for Anakin to kill battle droids in the sense that he is being attacked by them or is trying to stop them from hurting others. Certainly if it was Johnny Naboo blowing up the enemy mothership this would be a defensible act of war. However, it isn't trivial either.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

People are willfully misinterpreting Lucas' intent in regards to droid sentience and person hood. It's not as simple as "all droids are people" as they most emphatically are not. The droidekas, super battle droids and IG-100 MagnaGuards are not portrayed as having anything resembling a personality. They're killing machines, the same as a tank or a rifle. That's the point. It's more nuanced than what's being discussed here.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ersatz posted:

I'm asking for a justification of your assumptions. Why, for example, do you assume that droids experience qualia?

Daniel Dennett identifies four properties that are commonly ascribed to qualia. According to these, qualia are:

ineffable; that is, they cannot be communicated, or apprehended by any other means than direct experience.
intrinsic; that is, they are non-relational properties, which do not change depending on the experience's relation to other things.
private; that is, all interpersonal comparisons of qualia are systematically impossible.
directly or immediately apprehensible in consciousness; that is, to experience a quale is to know one experiences a quale, and to know all there is to know about that quale.

how can you assume they do not?

Edit: droids are obviously a representative of the disposable blue collar working class manipulated into their corporate overlords to fight the wealthy elite furthering not their own interests but that of the company. the jedi blinded by their status and power not only do they ignore the plight of the droids but they even attack them with the force a contradiction to their very ethos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1UPccudqmU

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 13, 2016

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Yaws posted:

People are willfully misinterpreting Lucas' intent in regards to droid sentience and person hood. It's not as simple as "all droids are people" as they most emphatically are not. The droidekas, super battle droids and IG-100 MagnaGuards are not portrayed as having anything resembling a personality. They're killing machines, the same as a tank or a rifle. That's the point. It's more nuanced than what's being discussed here.

Are you saying the uniform of war dehumanizes, that soldiers are no longer beings?
I mean, what personality does killing machine Boba Fett show?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'll try to make this tedious enough for you to understand.

The droid is not feeling pain, because it is not a droid at all, but a reproduction of a series of photographs which, when viewed in sequence, synchronize with an audio recording distributed alongside. The photographs depict a puppet being manipulated so that its appendages resemble, somewhat abstractly, the motions of a person or animal in distress, and the audio has a corresponding resemblance to sounds uttered in response to pain and fear. Photographs, phonographs, puppets, and transient images thereof are all incapable of thought.

However, unfortunate beings that we are, images are our only means of experiencing the world, and in order to derive useful information through such a crude and indirection, we employ the process of interpretation. One important property of images is that images depicting extremely different scenarios can appear to be very similar, if not identical. As a result, beings such as our fortunate selves who have the ability to act upon the world can cause images to appear which resemble the images we predict to result from non-demonstrable, false, impossible, or even absurd phenomena, such as a walking toaster having emotions similar to your own.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Clearly only some Stormtroopers show personality.
The rest are mindless killing machines. They're clearly made only for war.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

I'll try to make this tedious enough for you to understand.

The droid is not feeling pain, because it is not a droid at all, but a reproduction of a series of photographs which, when viewed in sequence, synchronize with an audio recording distributed alongside. The photographs depict a puppet being manipulated so that its appendages resemble, somewhat abstractly, the motions of a person or animal in distress, and the audio has a corresponding resemblance to sounds uttered in response to pain and fear. Photographs, phonographs, puppets, and transient images thereof are all incapable of thought.

However, unfortunate beings that we are, images are our only means of experiencing the world, and in order to derive useful information through such a crude and indirection, we employ the process of interpretation. One important property of images is that images depicting extremely different scenarios can appear to be very similar, if not identical. As a result, beings such as our fortunate selves who have the ability to act upon the world can cause images to appear which resemble the images we predict to result from non-demonstrable, false, impossible, or even absurd phenomena, such as a walking toaster having emotions similar to your own.
That's great, but beside the point.

Your earlier post about droids-as-metaphors was more interesting.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ersatz posted:

That's great, but beside the point.

Your earlier post about droids-as-metaphors was more interesting.

Similarly, it is more interesting to interpret the fictional robots as having souls.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

Similarly, it is more interesting to interpret the fictional robots as having souls.
And it's even more interesting to not assume that they do, and to consider the ethical/philosophical ramifications of that uncertainty, and the additional meaning gained by it.

Someone earlier made the point, for example, that you can learn a lot about a character through their treatment of droids.

Luke treats R2 like a loyal dog, but later abandons him. Leia generally treats C-3PO with more respect than Han does, but switches 3PO off out of annoyance in ESB. Was it wrong for Luke to abandon R2, or for Leia to turn off C-3PO? Why do these characters treat the droids with respect in some instances, and like objects in others?

The uncertainty makes these questions more fun to consider.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 13, 2016

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Elfgames posted:

Daniel Dennett identifies four properties that are commonly ascribed to qualia. According to these, qualia are:

ineffable; that is, they cannot be communicated, or apprehended by any other means than direct experience.
intrinsic; that is, they are non-relational properties, which do not change depending on the experience's relation to other things.
private; that is, all interpersonal comparisons of qualia are systematically impossible.
directly or immediately apprehensible in consciousness; that is, to experience a quale is to know one experiences a quale, and to know all there is to know about that quale.

how can you assume they do not?
I haven't stated an assumption either way.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

wyoming posted:

You forgot to say "Wakka wakka!"

Finally got around to seeing this mess. It's basically a vague impression Star Wars cut and directed like a skate video.

I'm still not sure what the First Order were about :

It's pretty easy to understand: oppressive state is dismantled, privileged class romanticizes the period, their children attempt to return to the imaginary great time.

Clearest example would be how slavery was banned, the south was whitewashed with The Lost Cause nonsense, and as a result you get nutcase confederacy cosplayers. The Empire is dismantled, the Imperials yearn for the time where they were moff ubermensch, their kids push for an absurd inconsistent idea of the Empire.

They're a pastiche of fascism because they are actively trying to be fascists without understanding the bad side at all. Like if the weirdos who collect nazi memorabilia talked about how he wished Nazi Germany was still around for their fashion sense. The simpsons pic is more truth than parody in the case of FO.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ersatz posted:

And it's even more interesting to not assume that they do, and to consider the ethical/philosophical ramifications of that uncertainty, and the additional meaning gained by it.

Someone earlier made the point, for example, that you can learn a lot about a character through their treatment of droids.

Luke treats R2 like a loyal dog, but later abandons him. Leia generally treats C-3PO with more respect than Han does, but switches 3PO off out of annoyance in ESB. Was it wrong for Luke to abandon R2, or for Leia to turn off C-3PO? Why do these characters treat the droids with respect in some instances, and like objects in others?

The uncertainty makes these questions more fun to consider.

Luke abandons his human friends too.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8anmLUWGIg&t=4s

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I have nothing else to add to the current discussion other than the fact that I saw on Variety that Miles Teller is apparently on the short list for playing Han in the anthology movie and jesus gently caress please don't make that turd Han loving Solo

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That Han Solo movie is a really bad idea and I wish that Disney wasn't actually going ahead with it.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I have nothing else to add to the current discussion other than the fact that I saw on Variety that Miles Teller is apparently on the short list for playing Han in the anthology movie and jesus gently caress please don't make that turd Han loving Solo

One would think that the stank of the Fantastic Four movie would prevent him from getting the role.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

How do you even get half the jokes in RLM if you haven't seen the actual movies? Like I sort've get you thinking you "saved" him from watching the prequels and I don't care about that. I don't see how it's enjoyable at all to watch RLM with no context though.

No I'm sorry. He's seen the prequels already. He just wanted to watch them again. Like saying when he got home from the theater. Then we hung out at my house for a bit and I put on the RLM review and by the time he left, he said he couldn't watch the prequels anymore but wanted to watch the rest of the reviews.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Did the Galactic Empire and their goals confuse this many people in 1977 as the First Order did in 2015?

The opening crawl for a New Hope implies or flat out states the following things:

- There is a Galactic Empire, they are evil, and they have been winning for a long time.
- They're called an Empire which brings to mind things like the British and Roman Empires, pretty much the dominant power of the galaxy. They're pursuing power and control for their own sakes.
- They're rich and evil enough to be able to secretly build something to destroy entire planets.

Then in the film you find out that they're even 'worse' than the Roman Empire, dissolving the Senate (even some of the craziest and power hungry emperors didn't do that!) and they literally say "We will rule through fear".

So they're pretty much an evil empire who are pursuing power for power's sake.

Force Awakens has 6 films worth of baggage to deal with concerning their new enemies, it turns out according to the opening crawl they're remnants of the Empire who really hate Luke, but they're different from the Galactic Empire and changed their name because??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
The weird thing is how Hux thinks it's some betrayal on the Republic's part that they support the Resistance in secret. If the First Order is building up military power and attacking planets and systems that are part of the Republic, why would they expect the Republic to hold to the treaty they signed with the remnants of the Empire? I'm sure the treaty specified "there will be peace so long as you guys don't start making Star Destroyers and Death Stars and using them to attack people."

• Locked thread