Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ufarn posted:

How's that even possible. Do they use gamerosmium or something.

Most of the weight is in the battery. The G602 is similar if you install both AA batteries (you can use one or two)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

ufarn posted:

And I can't find my magnet to open it, ffs.

EDIT: nvm, a regular whiteboard magnet did the trick.

Wait, are you talking about the G502? What do you need a magnet to open?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

princecoo posted:

I bought my wife a G502 for christmas because she has recently gotten into Guild Wars 2 and the jumping puzzles in that game suck dick at the best of times, let alone when you're struggling with a lovely microsoft $5 jobbie that has input lag and sticky feet.

I use a Razer Deathadder myself, and I like it. It lets me do everything I want to do, and held up really well over the past 3 years. I'd be lying if I wasn't a little jealous of my wife, though. The wheel on the G502 in our experience is great, it's comfortable despite appearances and overall, pretty decent in my opinion. Didn't bother with the weights though, the mouse is heavy enough as it is. That's not a complaint, the weight I think is good, just good enough that I can't think why you'd want to add the weights.

I might get one myself if my Deathadder continues to do weird things though - it has started recently to randomly double click on a single input, or require slightly more pressure to recieve a single click. It's not happening often enough to really bother me - yet - but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Inadvertant double clicks are a symptom of the switch wearing out, and if it gets bad you pretty much have the smae set of options -- opening up the thing and replacing the switch, opening the thing and readjusting the spring inside the switch, or replacing the mouse. If you aren't handy/lack small needle nose pliers or a soldering iron, then your options are pretty much new mouse since the only company that tends to send out replacements over this sort of thing is Logitech (in the states, at least).

I think there is a mouse out there that is designed to let you easily replace the switches without tools or anything, not sure how it was received though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

nftyw posted:

I think there is a mouse out there that is designed to let you easily replace the switches without tools or anything, not sure how it was received though.

Might be the ROG Gladius I asked about earlier; a couple people replied positively and it does have the Deathadder form factor: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222963&pagenumber=164&perpage=40#post452921218

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Does that Logitech guy still post here? Logitech customer support have been completely ignoring my 502 warranty request for months now to the point where my warranty has RUN OUT.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

frozenpeas posted:

Does that Logitech guy still post here? Logitech customer support have been completely ignoring my 502 warranty request for months now to the point where my warranty has RUN OUT.

Having recently dealt with shoddy Logitech support, I recommend you make a fuss over it. No joke. Post about your problem on Logitech's Facebook, Twitter, complain on their subreddit /r/LogitechG. They employ an emergency social network support group that elevates cases when users complain publicly.

Just be sure to have your receipt ready when they ask for it. If they start with a story of how your warranty is determined by date of manufacture, cut them off and say that's nonsense and that warranty is determined by date of purchase by their own rules and that you started the request well into the warranty period.

Oh, and if your country has Logitech phone support available, use that and complain to the live agent since they can't ignore you easily then.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
That's mad. I thought Logitech was known for its excellent CS. Has it all changed recently?

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

frozenpeas posted:

That's mad. I thought Logitech was known for its excellent CS. Has it all changed recently?

So did I. Turns out it's not quite as consistently good anymore. Some people have good experiences, but there's quite a few bad ones. The really bad ones typically consist of some support guy ignoring a support ticket for an extremely long time or messing up the warranty dates. That's when you complain and get your ticket elevated.
I complained publicly and got my problem solved within 24 hours of the social support staff noticing it. Maybe someone knows what's up, but if I were a Logitech employee I probably wouldn't badmouth the company I worked in.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

titaniumone posted:

So what's the verdict on the Sensei Wireless? I know how much it costs, I don't give a poo poo

I'm left handed, play games, and want a wireless mouse. Is there a better option?

The verdict is it's a piece of poo poo, I bought it and hate it. Tracking problems out the rear end, super poo poo DPI, and the mouse body is loving warped and won't lay flat on my desk. I had to double up one of the feet to make it not rock whenever I right clicked. Past tense -- I got a Mionix Avior 7000 and it's a good mouse.

I put the Sensei on Craigslist.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I have a cheap Anker mouse that has started double clicking when I press M1. Is there a common fix for this? I was thinking about dousing the switch it in deox-it.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

After a couple months the scroll wheel button has died on my Naos 7000. Their customer servers is lovely as hell. Took a week to respond to my ticket and tell me to try some softer fixes I've already done and have yet to respond to my me saying that or my followup after another week.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That sucks man, hadn't heard anything about Mionix's support yet but it sounds like they aren't good. Not sure if it's feasible or not but did you try calling them to complain?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

How are Bluetooh mice nowadays when I have recent wireless card and Windows 10? Do they connect without problems after initial setup?
I need a medium sized mouse with two side buttons.
I currently have Logitech M705 which is one of the worst mice I have ever used. It has tracking issues everywhere but mice pads and my leg. Can't use it on paper or wood surfaces at all. Left mouse button goes against right one when it is held down so can't play shooters where I have to aim with rmb. Only good thing about it is amazing battery life of multiple years and side buttons. I guess that's why it tracks so badly.
Really regret buying it for 50 euros. I did read reviews before buying but apparently no-one tested it on non mousemat surfaces.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

SinineSiil posted:

How are Bluetooh mice nowadays when I have recent wireless card and Windows 10? Do they connect without problems after initial setup?
I need a medium sized mouse with two side buttons
I used one of those Microsoft Arc bluetooth mice for my deployment and it connected w/o issues for the entire 9 months.

quote:

I currently have Logitech M705 which is one of the worst mice I have ever used. It has tracking issues everywhere but mice pads and my leg. Can't use it on paper or wood surfaces at all. Left mouse button goes against right one when it is held down so can't play shooters where I have to aim with rmb. Only good thing about it is amazing battery life of multiple years and side buttons. I guess that's why it tracks so badly.
Really regret buying it for 50 euros. I did read reviews before buying but apparently no-one tested it on non mousemat surfaces.
Weird. I have an MX Master now, but I have two M705 Marathon mice that I used exclusively (well, before the deployment) for a few years alternating between the two (one for home, one for the road). I seriously never experience any problems with them except for cat hair in the sensor (I have cats) and used them on everything from plastic picnic tables to my mouse mat at home. Weird that you had so many issues. Though 50 euros is quite high: I paid less than $20 apiece for each of mine used off of ebay.

I still keep one in my car for emergencies, which can happen at the strangest of places when you're in the field.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
Mionix has some super comfortable mice if you prefer a palm grip, but mine had its scroll wheel crap out in just over a year, just enough time for the warranty to run out. It's a shame, because it was genuinely a great feeling mouse. I got a G602 to replace it for the time being, and while it has a good battery life, it feels so high and narrow after the Mionix.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I was pointed this direction after asking a question in the Hardware Short Questions thread.

Recently, due to a Variety Of Issues, it's become possible that I will lose some level of fine motor control. I'm generally fine with typing, but it's become increasingly difficult to use the mouse to click smaller objects, like the x to close a tab in a browser.

I got a Razer Taipan mouse as a gift a long time ago, and I've been generally happy with it. Since the fine motor control issues started, I've discovered the sensitivity clutch button, and it's been very helpful. As long as I press the mouse button set to sensitivity clutch, the sensitivity goes down to a (custom set) significantly lower level. So, general usage, I can use the mouse normally, but if I have to click something small, I can just hold the mouse button, boom, super easy to hit anything.

The problem is that, whenever I change the DPI in any way, an ugly green bar appears in the lower left hand of the screen. It's KINDA ANNOYING, and tech support says that there's no way to get rid of the DPI indicator.

Is there a SECRET way to do this? Or, barring that, is there another reasonably good mouse that can do something like sensitivity clutch, but doesn't have the large green ugly indicator? Or, barring that, is there something I can use on any given mouse to do the same thing?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

SinineSiil posted:

I need a medium sized mouse with two side buttons.

I have an MX Performance for work and like it a lot. Tracks everywhere, long battery life, etc. I generally use it with the connector, but Bluetooth works fine when I connect it to my tablet.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I was pointed this direction after asking a question in the Hardware Short Questions thread.

Recently, due to a Variety Of Issues, it's become possible that I will lose some level of fine motor control. I'm generally fine with typing, but it's become increasingly difficult to use the mouse to click smaller objects, like the x to close a tab in a browser.

I got a Razer Taipan mouse as a gift a long time ago, and I've been generally happy with it. Since the fine motor control issues started, I've discovered the sensitivity clutch button, and it's been very helpful. As long as I press the mouse button set to sensitivity clutch, the sensitivity goes down to a (custom set) significantly lower level. So, general usage, I can use the mouse normally, but if I have to click something small, I can just hold the mouse button, boom, super easy to hit anything.

The problem is that, whenever I change the DPI in any way, an ugly green bar appears in the lower left hand of the screen. It's KINDA ANNOYING, and tech support says that there's no way to get rid of the DPI indicator.

Is there a SECRET way to do this? Or, barring that, is there another reasonably good mouse that can do something like sensitivity clutch, but doesn't have the large green ugly indicator? Or, barring that, is there something I can use on any given mouse to do the same thing?

I know nothing about razer's software but a ton of mice have this feature; they tend to call it a 'sniper button' or 'dpi shift' something like that. You could also maybe try something like an autohotkey script to lower the sensitivity given a specific key combo.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Anyone have any experience with the Corsair Sabre? My M40 cord got messed up while moving and it's starting to flake. What I really want is an optical G9x; Sabre is about as wide, has anyone used both? The M40 was a decent replacement and I could probably find a replacement somewhere.

Is there a better "g9x replacement" mouse out there? I didn't like the g500 shape nearly as much as the g9x or the M40, and I think the g502 is the same basic shape.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I can't say I'm versed in the broad spectrum of mice available, but I do know that the Logitech G502 has a sniper button, profile switching via a button on the mouse (may or may not be useful to you given its accessibility and your problem), and on-the-fly DPI adjustments via two buttons on the left edge of the left mouse button. They're also all functional without any additional software so you won't have any junk cluttering your screen, though you may want to use the software to customize it to your preferences first. Downsides is that it's heavier than average (not sure how that impacts your control issues) and has an appearance that is a little polarizing for some people.

I think it's technically feasible to hack together a DPI shifting toggle using AutoHotKey that works by adjusting the Windows mouse sensitivity, but I don't know if anyone has done that previously and made their effort available for download.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

My IntelliMouse Optical finally poo poo the bed after I don't know how many years. 7 or 8? It's the third one I've owned in my lifetime. The first two I had to retire after the double-click hardware fault started to emerge after 3-4 years. However, some wonderful person made a simple program that prevents that, and it expanded the lifetime of mine. Sadly, the middle click and scroll wheel recently stopped working at random, and the right click has a double-click issue now as well.

I'm tempted to just buy another one, since I figure: why change it up at this point? However, I am wondering if there have been any similarly made mice that are equivalent or better. I don't really care about the ambidexterous design, but I am used to Mouse 5 being on the right side of the mouse. I figure anywhere between $50-$75, since that's what the Optical goes for on Amazon/Newegg.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

kaschei posted:

Is there a better "g9x replacement" mouse out there? I didn't like the g500 shape nearly as much as the g9x or the M40, and I think the g502 is the same basic shape.
Try the Cooler Master Xornet 2, it's new, has a 3020, and is really well priced.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Does a good mouse (or type of mouse) that is cat-hair-resistant exist? There's basically no way for me to keep my cats off of my desk, and I'm getting sick of having to lint roll my mouse pad every hour in order to play any game without the mouse jerking around or stopping randomly. Is optical better than laser? Is there a difference? Does anyone still make quality ball mice?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What? Clean the cat hair off of your desk, and vacuum. Your floor is your house's biggest air filter, and it needs cleaning regularly.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Geirskogul posted:

What? Clean the cat hair off of your desk, and vacuum. Your floor is your house's biggest air filter, and it needs cleaning regularly.

I guess I should elaborate -- a *single* stray cat hair on my mouse pad seems to send my mouse into "can't-play-games" land, and it's basically impossible to make sure a single cat hair isn't on my mouse pad or desk. I have three cats that shed a lot in a tiny apartment, they jump on my desk all the drat time, and there's cat hair on my hands/clothes even if I could keep them off the desk. I would like to buy a mouse, if one exists, that won't freak the gently caress out with a single cat hair on my mouse pad. (I do try to keep my desk clean, obviously, but even vacuuming the mousepad doesn't get *every* tiny little hair.)

breaks
May 12, 2001

I don't know what mouse you are using right now, but in general optical mice are less picky about the surface than laser mice. If you're on a laser mouse right now maybe see if you can scrounge up and try an optical before making a purchase. Also don't use an overly sensitive DPI, 400 is plenty and more than 1000 is rarely a good idea, maybe it will help a bit.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Gnumonic posted:

I guess I should elaborate -- a *single* stray cat hair on my mouse pad seems to send my mouse into "can't-play-games" land, and it's basically impossible to make sure a single cat hair isn't on my mouse pad or desk. I have three cats that shed a lot in a tiny apartment, they jump on my desk all the drat time, and there's cat hair on my hands/clothes even if I could keep them off the desk. I would like to buy a mouse, if one exists, that won't freak the gently caress out with a single cat hair on my mouse pad. (I do try to keep my desk clean, obviously, but even vacuuming the mousepad doesn't get *every* tiny little hair.)

I recently just downgraded to a G300s optical I got as a gift and actually couldn't be happier with how responsive it really feels over my G700s, and it wasn't very expensive. You may want to check one of those out but I can play most games really well on any random surface that isn't glass.

I actually get to like it more the more I played with the new ambidextrous layout, as my middle finger want doing a lot on some games.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 26, 2016

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Gnumonic posted:

Does a good mouse (or type of mouse) that is cat-hair-resistant exist? There's basically no way for me to keep my cats off of my desk, and I'm getting sick of having to lint roll my mouse pad every hour in order to play any game without the mouse jerking around or stopping randomly. Is optical better than laser? Is there a difference? Does anyone still make quality ball mice?

In addition to the mouse recommendations others mentioned, you might want to experiment with different types of mousepads. It sounds like your mousepad is just as much as fault as the mouse if you need a lint roller to clean it off, anyways.

You're also insane if you believe that a ball mouse would somehow suffer less from cat hairs than an optical mouse.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why doesn't Logitech let you bind left (or right) click to the mouse wheel on the G502? It's ridiculous that their $80 flagship gaming mouse doesn't have a feature that many other competitors do.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
They recognize it as pure cheese

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Horizontal Tree posted:

They recognize it as pure cheese
Diablo players would disagree. Wait until they have a class-action lawsuit from people who suffered repetitive stress injury from clicking. :colbert:

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Thats what AutoHotKey is for!

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
They do though?

E: Oh you mean the scrolling to click not clicking the wheel to click. Are you sure they don't?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Nah can't change wheelup/wheeldown in the logitech software.

To be fair I'm halfway understanding because binding some complex macro to a billion actions per second freescroll wheel just might be able to crash a lovely netbook or something.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Nah can't change wheelup/wheeldown in the logitech software.

To be fair I'm halfway understanding because binding some complex macro to a billion actions per second freescroll wheel just might be able to crash a lovely netbook or something.
People who want the feature don't play Diablo on netbooks, checkmate.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Welp, the latest LGS just chewed my g700 up and spat it out.

Once the software loaded, I clicked into the per-app profile section where it didn't find a single loaded profile - not even a default, it was just empty. A thing hitched and the software crashed and my mouse died with it. Moving the mouse made the cursor skip and only update once every second - none of the mouse clicks worked except for left click in a browser which, for some reason, acted like I was pressing f6 (go to navbar). Nothing I do is bringing it back.

This mouse has been nothing but problems when it comes to profiling. It *constantly* forgot its own on-board profiles when I used those, it constantly skipped back to default or an on-board default profile when I tried using per-app settings. Locking it to one profile didn't because it would constantly revert back to default on-board profiles. Trying to find a solution for this only lead me to years and years and years of people posting about exactly the same problems - these posts go all the way back to 2011.

Why is LGS or the on-board profile memory so bad at this, goo? Why is it a common issue to which no solution exists online?

I just bought a g602 but I'm keeping the receipt close and your customer service # even closer.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

That sucks man, hadn't heard anything about Mionix's support yet but it sounds like they aren't good. Not sure if it's feasible or not but did you try calling them to complain?

Their support is weird. They are really slow to respond and all but at one point they told me to talk about doing the RMA through the seller (Amazon) which I couldn't because it was past the return window. If I did it through them I would have to ship the mouse to Sweden. I gave them my info to start the RMA process but today (and 4 days later) I got an email saying they shipped me a new mouse.

So in the end I'm satisfied I guess? I love the mouse. It is really the most comfortable and best performing mouse I've ever used (I really hate laser mice) and I didn't have to pay to ship them a broken mouse. Just wish it didn't take 3 weeks to do so.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I've had an MX-518 for 6 years now but my scroll wheel is starting to give out and it looks like that one isn't available anymore? Does anyone know what sort of mouse is comparable to it? I don't need a super fancy gaming one but I would miss the side and sensitivity adjusting buttons if I didn't have them. I'm sort of thinking about this one but now I see the amazon pages side by side with my current one it makes it look super cheap, anyone know if it's any good?

isndl posted:

In addition to the mouse recommendations others mentioned, you might want to experiment with different types of mousepads. It sounds like your mousepad is just as much as fault as the mouse if you need a lint roller to clean it off, anyways.

Yeah I have cat infestation problems too, I've been using the stock mousemat that came with my computer a decade ago and it works fine, it's super easy to wipe fur off of. Just get something with a smooth coating on the top.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

FYI you can still get a new MX518 on ebay for $40 without the retail packaging, I've bought two of these for replacements for the same old model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Koramei posted:

I've had an MX-518 for 6 years now but my scroll wheel is starting to give out and it looks like that one isn't available anymore? Does anyone know what sort of mouse is comparable to it? I don't need a super fancy gaming one but I would miss the side and sensitivity adjusting buttons if I didn't have them. I'm sort of thinking about this one but now I see the amazon pages side by side with my current one it makes it look super cheap, anyone know if it's any good?
I replaced an MX 518 with a G502 and don't regret the decision one bit.