Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
After some testing, it just hates my browser, app works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
Just beat ultimate Log with my first char and it was actually much easier than vet/elite for me.

Over the last couple of days I had some good drops, and worked on optimizing my gear and devotions (and farmed manticore eyes for 4 loving hours). I ended up being able to facetank almost everything and do decent damage, around 18k sheet dps with Savagery up (idk how that compares to other builds though).

Fun game!

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Erz posted:

Just beat ultimate Log with my first char and it was actually much easier than vet/elite for me.

Over the last couple of days I had some good drops, and worked on optimizing my gear and devotions (and farmed manticore eyes for 4 loving hours). I ended up being able to facetank almost everything and do decent damage, around 18k sheet dps with Savagery up (idk how that compares to other builds though).

Fun game!

Your character looks pretty sweet. Feel free to share your build.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

Dahbadu posted:

Your character looks pretty sweet. Feel free to share your build.

http://grimcalc.com/build/rz8U9K

The skills are not exact because of bonus points on gear, but I think it shows the general idea. If you're lacking points then you can go 5 less mastery in Arcanist, less Flash Freeze, 1 point elemental exchange, etc.

The devotions are exactly what I have now. Before today I had Ulo instead of manticore for the resists, but I managed to cap resists without it so I switched. Unsure about manticore though as I dont think it stacks with viper.
I basically used devotions as a source of resists, health and healing because I was getting owned in ultimate early on. I'm sure I could sacrifice a bit of defense at this point for more offense but changing devotions is annoying as gently caress so I'll probably just leave it and enjoy being tanky.

I switched to a caster build early in ultimate for like 5-10 levels. Once my resists were decent due to faction augments and devotions I went back to melee and it was pretty ok from then on. I think I got fairly lucky with item drops though so mileage may vary.

e: I started the game with Primal Strike as my main attack and I think its the better choice when enemies die fast, its aoe is great.

Erz fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 12, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

We need to find item drop % hax

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Is that shot taken on Ultimate? Because if so, your resists are great

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
Yeah its ultimate. A few of my items are almost purely defensive like the amulet and medal, and all my augments are resists. Took some experimenting with devotions/augments/gear/materia to find the combination that let me max everything (except bleed :(). Most of my resists are just barely above the max so there isnt much wastage.

e: By the way, my armor, DA, and physical res are all pretty bad so I can get wrecked by certain melee enemies if I let myself get surrounded or am taken by surprise against some fast melee elites or something. If only a few are attacking me at once though my high health and healing keep me safe.

Erz fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 12, 2016

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Started as a demo thinking I'd do a build similar to the flashbang/gently caress them up in melee build talked about earlier. Ended up taking shaman at 10 because I read they specialize in 2-handers. After screwing around and dying alot I respecced into a stun jacks build and holy crap, this is awesome! The jacks make everything blow up and cause my screen to shake, so thats cool, and later on there's lots of lightning talents in shaman to synergize with. While I went into this wanting to make a melee-focused skull crusher, I'm now more interested in energy regen and electrocuting everything. I'm sure I can make a good melee build as an Elementalist, but I think it's pretty cool how this build I stumbled into works great.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Having your Shaman tornadoes shoot out tsunami waves every second while they slow your enemies is pretty dope

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Primal Strike is such a lovely looking attack, so I'm looking to play a Shaman focusing on Lightning damage. I'm just having some difficulty deciding on the secondary. Nightblade maybe? Pneumatic Burst is a great skill, heal, total speed buff (to stack with Storm-Touched) and with Shadow Dance, even some avoidance. I guess I wouldn't know what else to take from there, though.

Or maybe an Arcanist Secondary? Maiven's shield bubble is always nice. How good is IEE+Overload? The +Elemental Damage on Overload looks decent, because buffs to Elemental damage fully apply to Lightning but I'm a little worried about IEE's 25% physical to elemental conversion (when maxed), since according to the Documentation, Elemental damage is an even split Fire/Lightning/Frost, which would get fully buffed by Overload but the whole of the Shaman tree only buffs the Lightning portion.

quote:

Elemental Damage

Elemental Damage is a combination of the three basic magical elements: Fire, Ice and Lightning. When it appears as flat damage, Elemental Damage will be dealt as 1/3 Fire + 1/3 Ice + 1/3 Lightning, divided equally.

Percent Elemental Damage on the other hand is a bonus to all three elements equal to the full value. It is not split evenly. This makes percent Elemental Damage a powerful way to increase several damage types at once.

Maybe IEE is still a good way to rely less on physical damage since I figure a Lightning Shaman would have more spirit than cunning anyway? I'm not sure how the internal math works here.

Say I do some X amount of physical damage, presumably adjusted by cunning. Now because I take Stormcaller's Pact, 15% of that is converted to Lightning. Does this newly converted Lightning damage then benefit from Spirit bonuses to become a larger total number than the original '15% of X physical'?

I guess the answer to that would also give me an idea how much of a waste of points IEE would be. Is any amount of spirit-derived damage better than physical in a spirit-heavy character?

Edit: The same page i pulled my quote from had the answer.

quote:

If you have an amulet with 10% of physical damage converted to fire, that means that 10% of all physical damage you deal (regardless of source) will be dealt as fire instead. This calculation is done before any bonuses you receive to physical damage from Cunning, skills and equipment.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 12, 2016

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

The Bramble posted:

Started as a demo thinking I'd do a build similar to the flashbang/gently caress them up in melee build talked about earlier. Ended up taking shaman at 10 because I read they specialize in 2-handers. After screwing around and dying alot I respecced into a stun jacks build and holy crap, this is awesome! The jacks make everything blow up and cause my screen to shake, so thats cool, and later on there's lots of lightning talents in shaman to synergize with. While I went into this wanting to make a melee-focused skull crusher, I'm now more interested in energy regen and electrocuting everything. I'm sure I can make a good melee build as an Elementalist, but I think it's pretty cool how this build I stumbled into works great.

I hope more people take this approach -- to try stuff out. As long as you're careful with buying up class mastery skills and attributes, people should feel free to respec and try out all of the skills and/or a combination of them.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If you shift-click outside of the range of a skill it doesn't attack at all. That's stupid.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
"What are these circles on the ground?"
"I dunno quest markers I guess"

Ten hours later:
"OH gently caress DUDE I JUST FIGURED IT OUT"
"What"
"The white circles, come, look, like this one"
"Oh, what are they?"
"They're, y'know, salt circles, like when you summon demons and poo poo so they can't attack you."
"Okay, so?"

this concludes my :aaaaa: moment for the night with this game

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If you shift-click outside of the range of a skill it doesn't attack at all. That's stupid.

That hasn't been my experience. Maybe some skills have finicky targeting. For example, I don't have that problem with Forcewave. What skills are you having this problem with?

Edit:

On a side note: if you think your muscle memory can adjust, I strongly suggest binding stationary attacks to spacebar instead of shift.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
After reading through the skills I'm considering a few different builds. Wondering if anyone could comment on their viability?

1. Druid that spams wind devils and totems
2. Arcanist concentrating on Replicating missle
3. Arcanist concentrating on Aether Ray
4. Nightblade concentrating on Phantasmal Blades (kind of hoping this would play like an ethereal blades character from PoE)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The default attack swing thing soldier has. Blade of Arc? Arcblade? Beyblade? If I shift-click further than about two feet away from my guy he just stands there and does NOTHING. But right-clicking with Forcewave no matter how out-of-range always activates so I don't know what's up.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

Dahbadu posted:

That hasn't been my experience. Maybe some skills have finicky targeting. For example, I don't have that problem with Forcewave. What skills are you having this problem with?
Ranged Fire Strike does this at the edge of the screen, even if you can hit the target by force-attack clicking inside FS' "range".

The White Dragon posted:

"What are these circles on the ground?"
"I dunno quest markers I guess"

Ten hours later:
"OH gently caress DUDE I JUST FIGURED IT OUT"
"What"
"The white circles, come, look, like this one"
"Oh, what are they?"
"They're, y'know, salt circles, like when you summon demons and poo poo so they can't attack you."
"Okay, so?"

this concludes my :aaaaa: moment for the night with this game
You also start the game with a bag of salt equipped, iirc.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Psykmoe posted:

Primal Strike is such a lovely looking attack, so I'm looking to play a Shaman focusing on Lightning damage. I'm just having some difficulty deciding on the secondary. Nightblade maybe? Pneumatic Burst is a great skill, heal, total speed buff (to stack with Storm-Touched) and with Shadow Dance, even some avoidance. I guess I wouldn't know what else to take from there, though.

Or maybe an Arcanist Secondary? Maiven's shield bubble is always nice. How good is IEE+Overload? The +Elemental Damage on Overload looks decent, because buffs to Elemental damage fully apply to Lightning but I'm a little worried about IEE's 25% physical to elemental conversion (when maxed), since according to the Documentation, Elemental damage is an even split Fire/Lightning/Frost, which would get fully buffed by Overload but the whole of the Shaman tree only buffs the Lightning portion.

Maybe IEE is still a good way to rely less on physical damage since I figure a Lightning Shaman would have more spirit than cunning anyway? I'm not sure how the internal math works here.

Say I do some X amount of physical damage, presumably adjusted by cunning. Now because I take Stormcaller's Pact, 15% of that is converted to Lightning. Does this newly converted Lightning damage then benefit from Spirit bonuses to become a larger total number than the original '15% of X physical'?

I guess the answer to that would also give me an idea how much of a waste of points IEE would be. Is any amount of spirit-derived damage better than physical in a spirit-heavy character?

Edit: The same page i pulled my quote from had the answer.

If you're focusing on any kind of elemental damage, Arcanist is a very good secondary. Arcanist is also probably the best all-around secondary tree to take if you don't actually need a secondary tree at all.

If you don't actually need anything from a secondary tree at all, Arcanist offers every build in the game:
+25% crit damage (as an aura for allies too!)
30% damage absorption
17% chance to dodged ranged
+12% offensive ability

Soldier is probably the closest with:
+16% offensive ability (assuming you're not Shaman)
+15% physique
+28% Health
Additional +10% offensive ability with roughly 20-30% uptime.

Your question at the end has the correct assumptions. If you're already going spirit-heavy to do mostly Lightning damage, IEE will increase your damage, especially since you'll presumably also get the +% elemental damage modifier in the tree.
There isn't another mastery tree in the game with as many and as strong passive bonuses

You've got one thing wrong here, though:

quote:

Elemental damage is an even split Fire/Lightning/Frost, which would get fully buffed by Overload but the whole of the Shaman tree only buffs the Lightning portion

Literally the only thing in the entire Shaman tree that actually buffs lightning damage is Savagery. The tree as a whole contains 0 buffs to existing lightning damage and only offers skills that do lightning damage themselves. Your actual buffs to lightning damage will likely come from your second skill tree (if you run Arcanist), your spirit and your gear.

In general, you run the conversion stat when you have bigger % modifiers to the new type of damage than the old one. It sounds like you've chosen Lightning as your primary type of damage, in which case I can all but guarantee you'll have bigger bonuses to all elemental damage than to physical too, both from your spirit being higher than your cunning and from finding gear with +% elemental damage rather than +%lightning damage (+% elemental damage is strictly better when given a choice).

Megasabin posted:

After reading through the skills I'm considering a few different builds. Wondering if anyone could comment on their viability?

1. Druid that spams wind devils and totems
2. Arcanist concentrating on Replicating missle
3. Arcanist concentrating on Aether Ray
4. Nightblade concentrating on Phantasmal Blades (kind of hoping this would play like an ethereal blades character from PoE)

1. I haven't played it, but it is my impression that it is viable.
2. It probably gets outscaled lategame, but at that point you can turn it into an Aether Ray character instead, which, I think, scales better
3. Probably viable, largely because of the ridiculous amount of gear available to the build.
4. Should still be viable. Note that Phantasmal Blades scales with cast speed rather than attack speed, so Arcanist is a very obvious second choice for the cast speed/lower energy cost passive.

The Mash fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 13, 2016

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Caffeine IV posted:

Ranged Fire Strike does this at the edge of the screen, even if you can hit the target by force-attack clicking inside FS' "range".

I don't remember that, but then again my character started out in the alpha or very early beta, so it might've been added later?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Caffeine IV posted:

Ha, I was wondering when Crate added that in. Thematically it makes sense since the player character starts the game with expelling a athenal out of his/hers body.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Either I haven't gotten to them or I'm not paying attention. I didn't notice tue salt circles, nor the bag of salt.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Build 30 just dropped, no new content but a boatload of balance changes. World map markers for unrestored devotion shrines is a great change.
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30753

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Oh nice they broke Cadence for Witchblades

Edit- still a great patch.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 14, 2016

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
lots of stuff to try out. I keep making more alts I think I'm on #8 now help!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pretty :3: to see this finally getting released. The dude who worked on it sacrificed a lot to get it off the ground, and it was pretty grim (:haw:) for the first couple years.

Turned out pretty solid though!

(even if the first thing I want to do to it is hack it so I can cheat my rear end off :v:)

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

sarmhan posted:

Build 30 just dropped, no new content but a boatload of balance changes. World map markers for unrestored devotion shrines is a great change.

Huh so they buffed two handed ranged weapons and made primal strike work fully with ranged too. I kinda wanna shoot someone so hard that they explode into chain lightning.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

The Mash posted:

Literally the only thing in the entire Shaman tree that actually buffs lightning damage is Savagery. The tree as a whole contains 0 buffs to existing lightning damage and only offers skills that do lightning damage themselves. Your actual buffs to lightning damage will likely come from your second skill tree (if you run Arcanist), your spirit and your gear.

Yeah, for some reason I thought Stormcaller's Pact buffed lightning, but it buffs Electrocute/Frostburn and converts 15% physical to Lightning.

I'd already noticed that Arcanist and Soldier are both real nice if you don't care too much about the second tree, but this is all great advice.

However, I ended up going Shaman/Occultist because ... I dunno. I guess it's a concept character for the most part. Right now the plan is to go 2-handed lightning melee with Witchfire on top for ~concept~ reasons, because it reminds me of a character I used to play in another game. Curse of Frailty isn't awful to have either.

I wonder if it's worth going deep enough into Occultist to put 1 point into Armor of the Guardian, since it gives 10% attack speed on the first point and Blood of Dreeg now has 100% uptime with the cooldown reduction in build 30. Maybe for a Witchblade/Witchhunter build worth considering. High opportunity cost, I guess.

I make too many characters, but the game hasn't gotten old yet.

Edit: And if melee conjurer doesn't work out, I can always change track and try out a Primal Spirit/Briarthorn/Hellhound build :v:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 14, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

quote:

The Final Boss encounter has received a tuning pass. On Normal/Veteran difficulty, the boss now summons chthonians with reduced frequency and the summons have less health. The Tentacle summons have had their health reduced and no longer cast additional Void Zones. The Void Zones last for a shorter duration. The amount of Chaos and Vitality damage dealt by the boss has been reduced. On Elite/Ultimate difficulty, the boss has received a slight damage bonus on several of its abilities and some of its spawns are now more dangerous. On all difficulties: diversified the damage dealt by the boss's summons so that a more general spread of resistances will be required rather than stacking Chaos and Vitality resistance. The boss's Chaos Barrage now deals a combination of Fire and Chaos damage, instead of Vitality and Chaos damage. The area in front of the boss has been slightly enlarged and more pets can now target it at the same time.

Thank god, hopefully Pet Attack command actually works on it now too. I might take a look and see if the PETA Representative can now actually beat it this weekend.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Am I imagining things or is the default movement speed higher after the patch? I checked the patch notes but didn't see anything to that effect (there was a mention of a small increase to default attack and casting speeds, but not movement?).

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

sarmhan posted:

That's a good patch. Can't wait to start my Elite and Ultimate run.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Psykmoe posted:

Am I imagining things or is the default movement speed higher after the patch? I checked the patch notes but didn't see anything to that effect (there was a mention of a small increase to default attack and casting speeds, but not movement?).

They adjusted several skills that affect move and attack speed. So that may be it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Here's hoping, it was a loving SLOG to walk around.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I got this game 1 - 2 years ago I think and have just picked it up again and have a couple of questions:

Are there respecs? This pretty much decides how experimental I am in these games.

I like to play dual-weild dagger assassin types with high speed and mobility. I also like to play mostly solo. Would that kind of character be viable, and if so, would anyone mind giving me a quick 1-2 sentence rough guide to get me started? I was thinking of dual-classing with something that gives me ice skills which would help to slow and immobilise enemies, but I'm really just dreaming right now since I haven't played much.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

Mr Scumbag posted:

I got this game 1 - 2 years ago I think and have just picked it up again and have a couple of questions:

Are there respecs? This pretty much decides how experimental I am in these games.

There are respecs but the cost goes up. It costs me 5k per point on my main which is ridiculous and sucks so i cant really respec much anymore. YOu can experiment quite as lot though, I just tried too many builds. You also cant respec stats or mastery points, just the individual skills and devotions.

I was leveling a soldier but now I think I'll make anotehr shaman using ranged Primal Strike lol. Probably a druid again even though I have one at 85, like i said i cant really respec and also i put no points in cunning for ranged weapons :(

e: oh my god yesss they added completed shrines to the map. I added them up and my soldier had 19 instead of the 20 he should have and I couldn't remember which it was :)

e: oh my god I just threw a vendor white rifle on a low level shaman I had and tried primal strike. OWNS!

Erz fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 14, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

steakmancer posted:

Having your Shaman tornadoes shoot out tsunami waves every second while they slow your enemies is pretty dope

Glad I'm not the only one who found out that combo. It seems like it triggers on a per-tornado basis too? So you can get them coming 3x more often ... I wonder if there is scaling or reduced proc chance for that or anything.

Dumb question about Pets, it's really not clear why pets only use some skills so often. Like the Raven pet has a heal spell which sounds really nice, but it doesn't seem to use it very often despite being at full energy all the time? I feel like I'm missing something obvious about it.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
So, just to confirm, the devotions that have a chance to proc per attack work with spells too? With all the talk about the stuff like the nightblade modifiers, I was unsure if that also meant that those only happened on weapon strikes.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who found out that combo.

How is a skill boosted by an enhancement in the same skill chain a combo to be found?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
It seems both Demolitionist and Arcanist have now valuable skills at the end of the mastery bar. Probably too early to ask, but which one seems worth the 50 non-respeccable points? Demo has Brimstone and Ulzuin's Chosen, Arcanist has Reckless Power, all of them were buffed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Dumb question about Pets, it's really not clear why pets only use some skills so often. Like the Raven pet has a heal spell which sounds really nice, but it doesn't seem to use it very often despite being at full energy all the time? I feel like I'm missing something obvious about it.

Pets are weirdly reluctant to use their skills even though they mostly have no listed cooldown, so they usually just sit on thousands of unused energy. The raven is the only one I've seen use energy much, when it decides to heal things many times in a row. Which it completely forgets to do other times.

It's generally better to upgrade the pet's base skill before putting many points in their extra abilities since they'll always use their default attacks so much no matter what you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
It seems like movement speed is capped at 130% now. Yesterday my soldier was up to 147% :(

e: maybe they increased base move speed though?