Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Can't remember the exact episode number, but mine's the one where Gon and Killua find Pitou healing Komugi.

One of the most powerful moments in any shounen series, IMO.

Sad, confused kid yells at baddie; is terrifying.
(it's 116 aka the best episode)

MonsterEnvy posted:

I hope it does. There are a only a few weeks left before this becomes the longest hiatus. So I hope we hear news that new chapters are coming.

(Also Temmie is cool)

This is a good avvy btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jostiband posted:

This is a good avvy btw

Oh Thanks. I like the Royal Guard. Some of the best antagonists in the series.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Pouf was the only antagonist among the royal guard.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I think they were all antagonists. You could argue that they weren't all villains, but Meruem and his guards were certainly all opponents to the protagonists.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe we're all protagonists of our own story and antagonists of other stories.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I am my own antagonist.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Butt Ghost posted:

I am my own antagonist.

That's quite deep.

Maybe once you're able to resolve your inner turmoil your nen will become stronger.

Unless your self-loathing is the reason why your nen is so powerful in the first place.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I love that moment too.

It's pretty much the moment that cements Gon as "A Bad Person"; he literally was completely willing to murder an innocent, injured girl just to fulfill his revenge.

Kild posted:

Nen is placebo the super power.

In the world of Hunter x Hunter, the most powerful people are all the dumb people who think crystals have healing powers and what have you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume there are at least some people out there who are absurdly strong but have no idea of Nen, they just have subconsciously set a bunch of rules and limits for themselves. Like Komugi but without the board games.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I assume there are at least some people out there who are absurdly strong but have no idea of Nen, they just have subconsciously set a bunch of rules and limits for themselves. Like Komugi but without the board games.

They talk about people like that during the Yorknew arc. Some of the people shown I'm almost positive were martial artists.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
My favorite episodes in HxH are the ones where Morel clowns on some scrublord who thinks he's hot poo poo.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ImpAtom posted:

You can probably make the case that Netero became obscenely good at martial arts/founded Shingen-Ryu before he knew of Nen. Then again Shingen-Ryu invented all the terms for describing Nen so maybe not.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/tuyoki/status/686780614750695424

https://twitter.com/tuyoki/status/686780792018698242

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I hope she's talking about Uvogin

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

I hope she's talking about Uvogin

It's gotta be Gotoh.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's Kite. She had not even met Pouf yet when she posted that. (Who she is a fan of.)

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i thought she was talking about silva zoldyck also known as david bowie

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I took it hard when Squala died too. :sigh:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Someone make a series of mash-ups of every death in the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAubuKc6ySU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I was really sad when Kite died because Shuichi Ikeda is an institution.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Someone make a series of mash-ups of every death in the series.
(Part 7)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I find Hisoka scarier in the 1999 version than the recent one. Also everything looks so dark.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Alder posted:

I find Hisoka scarier in the 1999 version than the recent one. Also everything looks so dark.

Agreed. 1999's atmosphere is much better, especially in the Hunter Exam arc.

It's a pity the subtly changed so much characterization, etc., though. For example (although I might be misremembering a little), there's a bit in the manga where Killua tells Gon that he plans to capture his family. It's clear from his facial expression, etc. that this is simply idle bragging. The 1999 anime makes it seem like Killua is totally serious about it. Similarly, 1999 has Kurapica praying and vomiting after killing Uvogin, while in the manga he's much colder about it. Then you have Gon's mother being Mito's sister in 1999, while in the manga she's a complete mystery (not really a change for the worse so much as something that didn't really add anything).

One 1999 change I did like was making Lelute a psychologist who deliberately drove her patients to suicide instead of helping them get better, while in the manga she's either a poacher or a smuggler who happens to know some psychology factoids. It's telling that the one of the Wikipedia articles about the manga incorrectly mentions Lelute being a psychologist; the manga version just makes less of an impression.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Silver2195 posted:

Then you have Gon's mother being Mito's sister in 1999, while in the manga she's a complete mystery (not really a change for the worse so much as something that didn't really add anything).

Are you sure about that? I thought Ging was Mito's brother, and that would mean...

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Momomo posted:

Are you sure about that? I thought Ging was Mito's brother, and that would mean...

I should probably check, but in 1999 she was Ging's childhood friend who obsessed over him, but he married her sister instead. Maybe she was Ging's sister in the manga? Or maybe his cousin?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Ging and Mito are not siblings or related by blood.

EDIT: Double checked and they're cousins. I'm remembering everything wrong today.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 13, 2016

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I should probably check, but in 1999 she was Ging's childhood friend who obsessed over him, but he married her sister instead. Maybe she was Ging's sister in the manga? Or maybe his cousin?

I thought in 2011 Ging was Mito-san's cousin and in the 1999 he's her brother-in-law since Ging married her sister.

btw: does this make Gon a orphan? His history is now 10x sadder if true and his dad is the worst.

Alder fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 13, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm pretty sure that they didn't state the identity of Gon's mother even in the 1999 version. Here is a super secret recording about your mother but if you want you could just ask Mito (who was in the next room) instead.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Alder posted:

I thought in 2011 Ging was Mito-san's cousin and in the 1999 he's her brother-in-law since Ging married her sister.

btw: does this make Gon a orphan? His history is now 10x sadder if true and his dad is the worst.
In the anime Ging abandons Gon in Mito's care but in the manga Mito won Gon in a custody battle because she believed Ging was unfit to be his father.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Alder posted:

I don't think so. Mito was literally his mother for his entire life, she just didn't birth him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

In the anime Ging abandons Gon in Mito's care but in the manga Mito won Gon in a custody battle because she believed Ging was unfit to be his father.

Well, Ging abandoned Gon in Mito's care with the intention of coming back to visit periodically. Mito wasn't having any of that so she went to court to get custody of Gon. Considering what we know about Ging now, it probably wasn't necessary to forbid him from coming.

Though, I haven't watched most of the 2011 version yet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

One 1999 change I did like was making Lelute a psychologist who deliberately drove her patients to suicide instead of helping them get better, while in the manga she's either a poacher or a smuggler who happens to know some psychology factoids. It's telling that the one of the Wikipedia articles about the manga incorrectly mentions Lelute being a psychologist; the manga version just makes less of an impression.

Leroute is a Animal Trafficker and Illegal Gambler. Being good at mind games is required for most Gamblers.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well, Ging abandoned Gon in Mito's care with the intention of coming back to visit periodically. Mito wasn't having any of that so she went to court to get custody of Gon. Considering what we know about Ging now, it probably wasn't necessary to forbid him from coming.

Though, I haven't watched most of the 2011 version yet.

Would it be OK if Ging took Gon with him during his travels? Obv it's not perfect but at least he'd kinda be involved with his son's life.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Ging doesn't want to deal with that poo poo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Alder posted:

Would it be OK if Ging took Gon with him during his travels? Obv it's not perfect but at least he'd kinda be involved with his son's life.

Ging's lifestyle is far too strenuous for an infant, so Gon probably would not have survived. Instead, he left Gon with a trustworthy person who raised him with love. It was the only thing Ging ever did right as a father.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, he got punched once, that was pretty cool of him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ging's lifestyle is far too strenuous for an infant, so Gon probably would not have survived. Instead, he left Gon with a trustworthy person who raised him with love. It was the only thing Ging ever did right as a father.

It's kind of telling that the one good thing Ging did as a father was not be a father.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is possible that if Ging had taken a few years off of his adventure hobo lifestyle to help Mito raise Gon he could have learned to be a father. That is a completely impossible scenario though, as Ging would never take that much time away from his interests for the benefit of another person. He intended to come visit only when it was convenient for him and Mito saw right through his bullshit.

I suppose there may have been some extenuating circumstances, as Ging was so incredibly secretive and hard to find that you would think he was hiding from someone other than Gon and Kite. But then for the election the zodiacs just kinda called him and he promptly showed up, and then afterward he didn't disappear again. I will say this for Ging, though- at least he didn't do the weird body-mod furry thing like most of the zodiacs.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

It is possible that if Ging had taken a few years off of his adventure hobo lifestyle to help Mito raise Gon he could have learned to be a father. That is a completely impossible scenario though, as Ging would never take that much time away from his interests for the benefit of another person. He intended to come visit only when it was convenient for him and Mito saw right through his bullshit.

I suppose there may have been some extenuating circumstances, as Ging was so incredibly secretive and hard to find that you would think he was hiding from someone other than Gon and Kite. But then for the election the zodiacs just kinda called him and he promptly showed up, and then afterward he didn't disappear again. I will say this for Ging, though- at least he didn't do the weird body-mod furry thing like most of the zodiacs.

Neither did Pariston.

The body mod thing was a sign of respect, though. I can get why Gin didn't want to do it, and respect it - and I probably wouldn't do something like that myself - but I see nothing wrong with the rest of the Zodiacs showing their respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I see a lot of things wrong with horse guy and snake girl whose names I can't remember.