Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Boba Fett against uh pre-ANH smuggler Han?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Boba Fett against uh pre-ANH smuggler Han?

Yeah, when I was actually thinking about how a S&V starter would work to have any shelf appeal to Joe Casual Starwar, it would have to have Slave 1. Slave 1 Vs the Falcon would be a cool-looking starter, but it would probably be like 60-75 bucks MSRP and be a weird and arguably too complicated intro experience (large ships, aux firing arcs, turrets, crew upgrades, titles, bombs, etc etc).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ehh, with a Han Solo origin movie coming out I assume they'll probably have him fly a ship around before he gets the falcon.

So its possible for it to eventually come out?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

As interesting a shake-up as the coming waves seem to be on the gameplay level, I'm really surprised they didn't take the opportunity to strike while the iron was hot with at least 1-2 more TFA-themed expansions (TIE/SF, Kylo's Command Shuttle, General Leia's shuttle, etc.).

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
One of the game stores I go to is running "Episode IV Night" this week, a tournament restricted to 40 points of ships that appeared in ANH.

But not the currently available version of ANH, no, we wouldn't want anyone bringing a Hawk 209 because it was in the background in Mos Eisley in the special editions. The Origional Version of ANH, still only on Laser Disc or VHS. and not really easily aquired. Which would not be a problem except they dont actually say which ships are allowed, you have to bring your list and if someone calls you on your lack of nerd knowledge and can prove it you gotta pull your poo poo off the table because thats more fun than playing xwangs!

quote:

MOVIE ESCALATION RULES
This is a test of your Star Wars knowledge in addition to your X-Wing acumen!
Build a 40 point squad. Week 2, improve it by another 40. Week 3, 40 more! With these restrictions:
Week 1: A New Hope
-You may bring any generic ship that is in Episode IV
Example: Gold Squadron Pilot, Red Squadron Pilot, Black Squadron Pilot
No Fly Example: Gray Squadron Pilot, Obsidian Squadron Pilot (not present in Episode IV)
Exception for Scum balance: Syndicate Thug/Hired Gun (had to have been one in the Cantina)
-You may bring any named pilot that is in Episode IV
Example: Biggs Darklighter, Backstabber, Dutch Vander
No Fly Example: Howlrunner (not present in Episode IV), Maarek Stele (not present in any)
-Named rule applies to any unique upgrades
Example: R2-D2 (astromech or crew)
No Fly Example: R5-P9 (not present in Episode IV)
-Twin Laser Turret is banned (we simply cannot have Stressbot or 5x TLT Y-Wing in this limited format)
Week 2 and 3: Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi
-Same rules apply as per each film
-Note that if you miss a pilot or upgrade from Episode IV, you cannot add them.
Example: Biggs Darklighter DEAD, cannot add him after Week 1
-You just need the pilot to be /present/ canonically (but no Special Edition scenes)
Example: IG-88B was on the bridge of the Executor, which permits the Aggressor (but only B)
Rules lawyering
-If you catch your opponent flying an illegal ship or upgrade, they must remove it
-If you call someone on illegality, and they demonstrate legality, you lose a point toward league standings
-There are some creative possibilities within these rules…
-All judgments will be rendered by Master Angelo, The Judge.
-If forced to remove ships/upgrades, you must complete that match. Then you may replace those points with format legal content for any future matches
-Bonus league points may be given by Angelo at his discretion for thematically proper builds
Example: Luke Skywalker + Deadeye + R2-D2 + Proton Torpedo
-Negative league points may be given by Angelo at his discretion for thematically improper builds
Example: Keyan Farlander (he was technically in A New Hope, but Angelo might rage out at the B-Wing in the Episode IV week)

So basicly "gently caress You" if you dont have AND on Laserdisc hooked up to your 15 year old Trinitron.

Rather then play I think I'll wander around looking for Academy Swarms and try to get them declared Illegal; why would Trainees be stationed to a prestigious posting like the Death Star? Hopefully I'll start a fistfight.

Also lol at banning TLTs

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Tequila Ranger posted:

One of the game stores I go to is running "Episode IV Night" this week, a tournament restricted to 40 points of ships that appeared in ANH.

But not the currently available version of ANH, no, we wouldn't want anyone bringing a Hawk 209 because it was in the background in Mos Eisley in the special editions. The Origional Version of ANH, still only on Laser Disc or VHS. and not really easily aquired. Which would not be a problem except they dont actually say which ships are allowed, you have to bring your list and if someone calls you on your lack of nerd knowledge and can prove it you gotta pull your poo poo off the table because thats more fun than playing xwangs!

So basicly "gently caress You" if you dont have AND on Laserdisc hooked up to your 15 year old Trinitron.

Rather then play I think I'll wander around looking for Academy Swarms and try to get them declared Illegal; why would Trainees be stationed to a prestigious posting like the Death Star? Hopefully I'll start a fistfight.

Also lol at banning TLTs

Wow. I could kind of see the idea of doing an OT and even a original cut version, but the guessing game mechanic (essentially for most people since as you said it's not wildly available) is really stupid.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
There's always wookiepedia if you hate yourself

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

quote:

-Bonus league points may be given by Angelo at his discretion for thematically proper builds
Example: Luke Skywalker + Deadeye + R2-D2 + Proton Torpedo
-Negative league points may be given by Angelo at his discretion for thematically improper builds
Example: Keyan Farlander (he was technically in A New Hope, but Angelo might rage out at the B-Wing in the Episode IV week)

Sever.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Tequila Ranger posted:

Also lol at banning TLTs

This is some dumb poo poo right here.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tequila Ranger posted:

Also lol at banning TLTs

The basic kernal of the idea actually sounds fun but holy LOL at actually banning certain faceless/non-unique pilots, and putting the onus on the players to play nerd police rather than just providing a simple list of what's legal. I look forward to the shoving matches over whether Black Squadron pilots could ever really be consider "crack shots."

I did a similar themed event for The Bad Spaceship Flight Path Game once, but I made a clear cut list of allowed expansions.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

The basic kernal of the idea actually sounds fun but holy LOL at actually banning certain faceless/non-unique pilots, and putting the onus on the players to play nerd police rather than just providing a simple list of what's legal. I look forward to the shoving matches over whether Black Squadron pilots could ever really be consider "crack shots."

I did a similar themed event for The Bad Spaceship Flight Path Game once, but I made a clear cut list of allowed expansions.

It's not just nerd shoving matches, check out the bit I quoted...some dude named Angelo, who I assume is running or helping run this event, gets to award or subtract league points at his discretion based on how well you meet his sense of thematic propriety. In other words some dumb rear end in a top hat gets to say "Minus 5 points for Hufflepuff" because you brought a B-Wing and everyone knows B-Wings weren't in Episode IV Steve, god. Basically this sounds like the most insufferable thing ever and you couldn't pay me to go to an event like that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

"B-Wings weren't in Episode IV" is probably my smallest objection to the format. I think "only plausibly thematic stuff" is an okay for a one-off format, but FFS just make the list yourself and post it, rather than providing limited "examples" and having it be passive-aggressively nerd-policed.

Probably the absolute stupidest part is expecting people to figure out which nameless, faceless TIE fighter pilots are okay, since it's not like you can fire up the Despecialized edition and expect to see a scene where Vader says "Backstabber, my friend, join Black Squadron in fighting these Rebels. Note that I said Black Squadron, and Not Obsidian Squadron, who is not present for this battle." or whatever.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Please tell the person who's organizing that mess how stupid it is.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If you put a gun to my head and told me I had to play this mess I'd probably bring:

Darth Vader (29)
Predator (3)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x1 (0)

Total: 37

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

At which point Supreme Leader Angelo would probably cluck at me that Actually Vader's TIE Advanced Did Not Have Upgraded Engines, because according to a pop-up cross section book published in 1981...

and before long I would regret my decision and beg for the bullet.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

"B-Wings weren't in Episode IV" is probably my smallest objection to the format.

Pick whatever example you want, the point remains that any league event where some guy gets to arbitrarily give out or take away points because your list doesn't meet his standards for thematic accuracy or whatever is a ridiculously awful idea. I'm not sure how they're handling their league stuff or if it even matters one whit, but c'mon, this is an awful, awful recipe for all sorts of arguments and bitter feelings. The rest of the stuff is loving stupid too, don't get me wrong.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Bring "Corellian Corvette (aft)"

Argue that anyone bringing a ship from after the opening scene of the movie is canonically later in the timeline than yours and have them removed.

hooman fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 13, 2016

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Played my first game tonight against my friend. I destroyed his Poe Dameron with a single Advanced Homing Missile from Major Rhymer and then promptly flew my undamaged 46 point Firespray off the map which lost me the game :downs:

Also how's this setup sound for a Firespray? Too expensive?

Krassis Trelix (36)
Flechette Cannon (2)
Tactician (2)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Extra Munitions (2)
Guidance Chips (0)
Slave I (0)

Total: 46

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 13, 2016

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

hooman posted:

Bring "Corellian Corvette (aft)"

Argue that anyone bringing a ship from after the opening scene of the movie is canonically later in the timeline than yours and have them removed.

This pleases Master Angelo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Pick whatever example you want, the point remains that any league event where some guy gets to arbitrarily give out or take away points because your list doesn't meet his standards for thematic accuracy or whatever is a ridiculously awful idea. I'm not sure how they're handling their league stuff or if it even matters one whit, but c'mon, this is an awful, awful recipe for all sorts of arguments and bitter feelings. The rest of the stuff is loving stupid too, don't get me wrong.

Just say "This is a themed event with a restricted build pool. You may include only the following things" and list them . 90% of the stupid goes away, it's basically the space war nerd of saying "Okay this is an early war scenario, no Panzer IV/Pershing tanks."

The other 10% is that I'm not going to do the math for every movie but I'm pretty sure this format dicks over the Empire at every turn, since out the gate you get the option of either 2 meh TIEs or Darth Vader, while the Rebs have the choice of two of their better aces, and arguably their best astromech. I'd give a little wiggle and say if you can't see the pilot's face, who's to say which TIE dude(ette) it is? Looking at Wookieepedia I guess you can splash in Fel as of the RotJ event (but probably get clucked at if you give him the obligatory title and upgrades to make him good)

I guess the one probably accidental saving grace is that the point cap leaves you just a bit shy of being able to run the Falcon in the first week.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Otisburg posted:

Just say "This is a themed event with a restricted build pool. You may include only the following things" and list them . 90% of the stupid goes away, it's basically the space war nerd of saying "Okay this is an early war scenario, no Panzer IV/Pershing tanks."

The other 10% is that I'm not going to do the math for every movie but I'm pretty sure this format dicks over the Empire at every turn, since out the gate you get the option of either 2 meh TIEs or Darth Vader, while the Rebs have the choice of two of their better aces, and arguably their best astromech. I'd give a little wiggle and say if you can't see the pilot's face, who's to say which TIE dude(ette) it is? Looking at Wookieepedia I guess you can splash in Fel as of the RotJ event (but probably get clucked at if you give him the obligatory title and upgrades to make him good)

I guess the one probably accidental saving grace is that the point cap leaves you just a bit shy of being able to run the Falcon in the first week.

Three of the named ties have flavour text saying they were dude x in the attack on the death star, so I'm guessing they'd all be legal too.

e: Going by the wiki, I don't know where they drew the flavour text from

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Three of the named ties have flavour text saying they were dude x in the attack on the death star, so I'm guessing they'd all be legal too.

e: Going by the wiki, I don't know where they drew the flavour text from

Yeah Mithel and Backstabber are, I think, Vader's Wingmen.

But you better take them in Week One, otherwise they're already dead!

E: I think EPTS are where this poo poo really breaks down into a completely subjective poo poo-show, esp since the Grand Overlord already cited a specific EPT on a specific pilot as the Good Canonical Build He'd Ten Point Griffondor For. "Veteran Instincts on Luke? But he's a novice?" "Yeah, but it says 'instinct' and you can't tell me he's not an instinctively good pilot!"

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 13, 2016

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Otisburg posted:

Yeah Mithel and Backstabber are, I think, Vader's Wingmen.

But you better take them in Week One, otherwise they're already dead!

Who the hell is imperial flying at the end of ROTJ?

Everybody's dead Dave.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

hooman posted:

Everybody's dead Dave.

You could fly a swarm of generics. I'm pretty sure Black Squadron was still around.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

hooman posted:

Everybody's dead Dave.

Actually VSP is perfectly legal for ROTJ week.* :getin:

*you might get negative 100 points to hufflepuff for royal guard, stealth device, and autothrusters on fel though

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Otisburg posted:

Actually VSP is perfectly legal for ROTJ week.* :getin:

*you might get negative 100 points to hufflepuff for royal guard, stealth device, and autothrusters on fel though

*does spittake with cheetos*

Tw-tw-TWOO HUNDRED POINTS OFF! I'VE NEVER SEEN PALPATINE IN A SHUTTLE!

EDIT: I wish Ghost and attack shuttle were out, since that all happens prior to ANH.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

hooman posted:

EDIT: I wish Ghost and attack shuttle were out, since that all happens prior to ANH.

Timelines irrelevant, it actually has to be in the movie.

The pure and un-tarnished Original edit, as handed down by our lord and savior, George Lucas, and not the "Special Editions" that were poo poo out by that devil's turd, George Lucas!

Copies of which only exist on Laserdisc or VHS.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

VESSERY OUTMANEUVER BUDDIES
This is an hilarious list

100 points

PILOTS

Colonel Vessery (40)
TIE Defender (35), Tractor beam (1), Outmaneuver (3), TIE/D (0), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Omega Squadron Pilot (20) x 3
TIE/fo Fighter (17), Outmaneuver (3)

This isn't an amazing list but reducing two AG down to 0 and 3 AG down to 1 is pretty hilarious, especially when you can setup the outmaneuver shots with the Tractor Beam :q:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I can't tell if this is hilarious, awful, or both.

“Redline” (39)
TIE Punisher (27), Fire-Control System (2), Extra Munitions (2), Proton Torpedoes (4), Cluster Missiles (4), Guidance Chips (0)

Commander Kenkirk (60)
VT-49 Decimator (44), Expose (4), Gunner (5), Darth Vader (3), Ysanne Isard (4)

All I know is it's going to do whatever it does quickly. I also don't love Kenkirk + Expose, but I'm at a loss as to how to change it. Can't take it on Patrol Leader though.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 13, 2016

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Empire Strikes Back build: Luke's X-Wing vs this garbage can full of sewage, rocks, and branches (Dagobah). You Bozo Bucket Luke towards the garbage can and if it lands in the water and not on a rock, lose R2 and must fight Dave dressed up as Darth Vader.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tequila Ranger posted:

Also lol at banning TLTs

Holy poo poo someone's trying the infamous (MTG) Sheldon league points for X-wing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Foolster41 posted:

I agree, also there should be two factions in a starter really, and rebel vs. imp makes sense, but who do you put against scum? They are a little bit of a third wheel in this respect,. (a cool third wheel, but still)

I got excited and already bought 1,000 points of ships for the fleet for the empire for this galactic campaign i'm running. (That can buy you a lot of ships!).
I'm sitting in the center of the galaxy, ready to get squashed.

Scum vs Villainy duh

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Decimator + Whisper made it to top 8 at Worlds this year, although I'm still not 100% convinced it wasn't a fluke.

I doubt that a two time Australian champ and Worlds runner-up brought a flukey uncompetitive list hey.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Deviant posted:

I can't tell if this is hilarious, awful, or both.

“Redline” (39)
TIE Punisher (27), Fire-Control System (2), Extra Munitions (2), Proton Torpedoes (4), Cluster Missiles (4), Guidance Chips (0)

Commander Kenkirk (60)
VT-49 Decimator (44), Expose (4), Gunner (5), Darth Vader (3), Ysanne Isard (4)

All I know is it's going to do whatever it does quickly. I also don't love Kenkirk + Expose, but I'm at a loss as to how to change it. Can't take it on Patrol Leader though.

Alternatley, what else would go well with Redline? Swarm TIEs?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Tequila Ranger posted:

Also lol at banning TLTs

The Laserdisc version of ANH came out on DVD in like '04. If, for some reason, you can't get those, then just google "star wars despecialized" and there you go.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Finster Dexter posted:

The Laserdisc version of ANH came out on DVD in like '04. If, for some reason, you can't get those, then just google "star wars despecialized" and there you go.

Lol good luck getting those at less than $100 each.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Chill la Chill posted:

For real? Dang... time to dig those out and put 'em on ebay then

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I think I junked the cases for the DVDs when I bought them long ago, I shoulda kept 'em. The discs are in a binder somewhere in a basement. :(

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Not even close, there's tons of EBay Buy it Now's for ~$50.

Still a lot for a DVD, and frankly the quality is mediocre, since it's an unscaled straight-up rip. Watched mine a couple weekends ago and ended up just downloading Harmy's so I could have a really nice copy. They're fun to have for sure, but the quality of the original cut in that set isn't stellar.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 13, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerikTelorian posted:

Not even close, there's tons of EBay Buy it Now's for ~$50.

Still a lot for a DVD, and frankly the quality is mediocre, since it's an unscaled straight-up rip. Watched mine a couple weekends ago and ended up just downloading Harmy's so I could have a really nice copy. They're fun to have for sure, but the quality of the original cut in that set isn't stellar.

Oh drat must've gone down cuz of the wider availability of Harmy's edit. I remember them hitting 100+ a few years ago. And it used to be that you had to jump through several hoops to get the edit until people just started putting them in the usual locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I was wondering about the EPT astromech and IA interaction, and apparently you don't discard the EPT if you lose he droid through IA, from an official ruling. Makes the droid slightly better, since you literally don't lose anything if he gets shot off.

• Locked thread