Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
The Expanse has been renewed for a second, 13-episode season.

Space.com posted:

When the first episode was released before the TV premiere, 4.5 million viewers watched it digitally, and an average of 1.6 million have watched each of the first three episodes as they aired, Syfy officials said.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Space.com is really behind on news, we knew that back on New Year's eve.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Whoops. Well, I'll edit it to blend in with the rest of the thread then.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Jared Harris is just loving awesome.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why are any of the things in this post spoiler tagged?

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Why are any of the things in this post spoiler tagged?

Alehkhs posted:

Whoops. Well, I'll edit it to blend in with the rest of the thread then.

I thought it was funny, Alehkhs :smith:

Great ep, felt like a launching point. Loved the nose art Amos was spraying on the Roci.

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 13, 2016

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Continue to love the attention to detail and the physics of RCS thrusters, and how when the Roci isn't under acceleration it just drifts instead of some showboating forward march. Also the rest of the show is awesome, as well

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

KatWithHands posted:

Jared Harris is just loving awesome.

The belter accent is pretty crazy

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I'm glad the show got renewed, it is the best (and only?) space opera I've seen for a while. Some of the writing and characters are so bad though but I guess it comes with the territory.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Fred Johnson will show up between 1 and 3 PM to install your DirecTV dish and slaughter your family.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Man they went too fast with Fred's scenes just to show how belters are abused in ep 6.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Thomas Jane is really killing it as Miller.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If there's one thing I think that's holding this show back a bit is their attempt to both get the plot moving as well as really delve into the politics and the history of some of the bigger tertiary characters all in the first season, I think it makes the pacing slightly odd and it might be hard to follow for folks who tend to drift in and out of shows.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Musluk posted:

Man they went too fast with Fred's scenes just to show how belters are abused in ep 6.

I thought there must be more to that scene with the criminal kid and Uncle Matteo than just background colour to show how Belters are abused. I have a suspicion that the reason he's left hanging in space is so that someone (the Roci?) will come by his suit distress signal or whatever and pick him up, but who knows.

I do think the Fred scenes went a little too fast, we could've used a full episode of the crew hanging out on Tycho and singing karaoke. Right now their justification for flying out on behalf of Fred and the OPA seems pretty thin.

I like the departures from the books so far, particularly the thing with Miller and expanding the character of Dawes and making it so that Shadeed was bought by the OPA. It makes the OPA seem like more of a tangible and credible political force along with the superpowers of Earth and Mars, while in the first half of the book they were more of a background detail.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
So show Avasarala's son was killed by OPA instead of skiing into a tree. Interesting change.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Boing posted:

I thought there must be more to that scene with the criminal kid and Uncle Matteo than just background colour to show how Belters are abused. I have a suspicion that the reason he's left hanging in space is so that someone (the Roci?) will come by his suit distress signal or whatever and pick him up, but who knows.

(Book-related) The last time the kid was on the show, I noticed his name in the credits was Diogo. Not sure if he's the Diogo from the book who joins Miller on the Thoth Station raid, but considering he showed up again, I'm assuming so. Also loving how they're packing in all the rock-tossing as season 1 foreshadowing.

gohmak posted:

So show Avasarala's son was killed by OPA instead of skiing into a tree. Interesting change.

I guess it's a good reason to have her more involved right from the start. They do seem to be focusing more on the OPA and the related social issues in the show rather than just letting them simmer in the background.

Definitely could have used more Fred scenes, but hopefully they keep him involved throughout the rest of the season. Maybe some back and forth with Avasarala would be neat.

edit: Don't know if everyone saw when SyFy started putting out ship designs for 3D printers, but apparently they have a whole collection now: http://www.thingiverse.com/Syfy/designs For, y'know, the one or two people out there with one.

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 13, 2016

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

johnsonrod posted:

Thomas Jane is really killing it as Miller.

In my head the Skrillex hair and the fedora came briefly back into fashion (on Earth?) and Miller just sort of stuck with it after it became passe again.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I liked how Miller got jumped after the bar meeting with Dawes.

Dawes correctly guessed if he was stubborn enough not to trade information for a chance at revenge, it must have been a really juicy bit of information about the Scopuli

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

gohmak posted:

It seems like most of the book->show changes have been about increasing the animosity level in general. Like the book version just had Holden and crew dock with the Donnager, given guest quarters, then only Holden was interviewed by the martian intelligence guy before being sent back to his crew while the fight was happening. None of that "lets try to make everyone turn on each other!" stuff, or imprisonment, etc.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

KatWithHands posted:

(Book-related) The last time the kid was on the show, I noticed his name in the credits was Diogo. Not sure if he's the Diogo from the book who joins Miller on the Thoth Station raid, but considering he showed up again, I'm assuming so. Also loving how they're packing in all the rock-tossing as season 1 foreshadowing.

I guess it's a good reason to have her more involved right from the start. They do seem to be focusing more on the OPA and the related social issues in the show rather than just letting them simmer in the background.

Definitely could have used more Fred scenes, but hopefully they keep him involved throughout the rest of the season. Maybe some back and forth with Avasarala would be neat.

edit: Don't know if everyone saw when SyFy started putting out ship designs for 3D printers, but apparently they have a whole collection now: http://www.thingiverse.com/Syfy/designs For, y'know, the one or two people out there with one.

I really wish I was into 3D printing because it is seriously loving cool that they put up the designs for the ships like that.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Azhais posted:

It seems like most of the book->show changes have been about increasing the animosity level in general. Like the book version just had Holden and crew dock with the Donnager, given guest quarters, then only Holden was interviewed by the martian intelligence guy before being sent back to his crew while the fight was happening. None of that "lets try to make everyone turn on each other!" stuff, or imprisonment, etc.

I like the fake out with the rock hoppers. First I thought he was spacing his nephew to conserve air/mass or some belter bullshit but it turns out to be saving him from suicide attack. I predict that scene is what ultimately sparks the OPA revolution.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Can someone tell me what was up with the rock miner/hopper pilot opening his helmet up in space? That scene completely confused me.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
One change I really don't like is turning Amos from the only Earther with the balls to get fall out drunk, gamble and gently caress hookers in a belter brothel into a captain save a male ho.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

hollylolly posted:

Can someone tell me what was up with the rock miner/hopper pilot opening his helmet up in space? That scene completely confused me.

It was probably slipped in there to dispel the common idea that if you open your helmet in space, your eyes will explode and you'll die quickly- which isn't the case at all.

Plus it looked neat.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

hollylolly posted:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/survival-in-space-unprotected-possible/

To show off that a) belters are the rednecks of space, b) brief exposure to hard vacuum won't kill you, and c) book 5 spoiler prepare you for Naomi's book 5 shenanigans.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 13, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

It was probably slipped in there to dispel the common idea that if you open your helmet in space, your eyes will explode and you'll die quickly- which isn't the case at all.

Plus it looked neat.

It did look neat, but it was sort of a WTF moment for me.

And I saw Total Recall, I know it's only on Mars that your eyes explode. :colbert:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Tighclops posted:

I really wish I was into 3D printing because it is seriously loving cool that they put up the designs for the ships like that.

When I first saw the link, I thought they were for papercraft, which would have been awesome. I hope this means models and other merch aren't far behind. I'd love to have a pre-gas tanker facade Roci model sitting on my shelf.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

hollylolly posted:

It did look neat, but it was sort of a WTF moment for me.

And I saw Total Recall, I know it's only on Mars that your eyes explode. :colbert:

It seems like the sort of thing Belters are raised from childhood to never, ever, ever do.

So of course the young, dumb ones make a point of doing it.

Might even become a spiritual thing, like baptism of the void or something.

The biggest risk is falling unconscious - as the dissolved gases in your bloodstream start to boil, you lose consciousness within 15 seconds iirc. So if you are slow or have any trouble at all getting your helmet back on, :rip:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I keep hearing this word "fetalota" or something which I'm sure makes a lot more sense in print, what's that mean?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

Not to mention Earth actually has a role in the show; the first book they're almost inconsequential up to this point.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Chard posted:

I keep hearing this word "fetalota" or something which I'm sure makes a lot more sense in print, what's that mean?

Welwalla, I believe. Miller explained it to Havelock in the pilot as meaning "traitor to my people". OPA affiliated Belters have been throwing it at Miller since he worked for an Earth corporation in Star Helix.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Chard posted:

I think that's "Belterloda" (no idea of the spelling) which is Belter creole for themselves. In one of the earlier episodes, the protestor dude was saying something like "agua belterloda, luft belterloda" when he was saying it's the Belters' water, and the Belters' air, not Earth's.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Really enjoyed the 6th episode. Watched it twice already.

The series is already exceeding my expectations after reading 1-3 books.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

KatWithHands posted:

I think that's "Belterloda" (no idea of the spelling) which is Belter creole for themselves. In one of the earlier episodes, the protestor dude was saying something like "agua belterloda, luft belterloda" when he was saying it's the Belters' water, and the Belters' air, not Earth's.

Yup, that's it! Thanks,. So 'loda' just means 'person' in a sort of group/possessive sense or something?

I really like everything this show is setting up and since I don't give a gently caress about spoilers I know roughly where we're heading, but man... they're writing a lot of checks for Syfy to cash, storytelling-wise. I guess that's a side effect of having so many factions with interesting motivations. With S2 already confirmed it's less worrying though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not quite, Beltloader is just the name for the ethnic group. Beltaloada is just that with the heavy accent.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Fun episode. The Fred Johnson scenes felt very rushed/forced/shallow, as some of you have noted. Also the new rocinante look is dumb

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Fun episode. The Fred Johnson scenes felt very rushed/forced/shallow, as some of you have noted. Also the new rocinante look is dumb

It's supposed too. They are disguising a MCRN warship as a fuel hauler.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 14, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This is a really great show. Thomas Jane is killing it. I

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

my favorite insignia for the show is for the the MCRN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Yah, as gohmak says above, it's just a disguise; they will have to blow all that crap off the ship with emergency explosive bolts or something before they can use its weapons.

• Locked thread