Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
On the local news a few minutes ago Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani said after the decision came down basically "yeah we'll see what we can work out with Stan Kroenke (kinda dismissive of that idea).... But we can also put together a plan, gather signatures...there's still plenty of time before a ballot measure in November."

Based off statements and body language it really seems like Spanos missed hard here and they do not have a backup plan in place that they are currently happy with. This is spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, time for Des Moines and/or Omaha to really put themselves on the map.

Just imagine, the Des Moines Chargers and the Omaha Raiders continuing their rivalry, only separated by a few hundred miles of I-80. gently caress the coasts, the midwest is where it's at.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Volkerball posted:

As an unattached team, I think the Raiders are better off renting st louis for a year than renting the poo poo rear end coliseum
If the team keeps going in the right direction that place will be fuckin packed. Nobody will care how lovely it is except rich people, who will probably go watch the niners in their luxury boxes or whatever. It's probably not the best financial scenario for Mark Davis, but I'm sure he'll still make money.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/hochman/status/687096079779643392

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Rubio did the best fan art...

:sadwave:

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Grittybeard posted:

e: Holy poo poo somehow I never knew this, you'd think I'd have heard old people cursing this guy's name:

One of my older coworkers said back in the day the A's players HATED Charles O. Finley with a passion and that hatred was the biggest reason they won three world series in a row.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

wattershed posted:

On the local news a few minutes ago Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani said after the decision came down basically "yeah we'll see what we can work out with Stan Kroenke (kinda dismissive of that idea).... But we can also put together a plan, gather signatures...there's still plenty of time before a ballot measure in November."

Based off statements and body language it really seems like Spanos missed hard here and they do not have a backup plan in place that they are currently happy with. This is spectacular.

Dean Spanos looked like he wanted to throw up at the press conference

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sharzak posted:

Can you imagine the loving drive to inglewood from downtown on Sunday

It's probably not too bad at all on a Sunday afternoon from 105 or surface streets. Even 405 is okay mid day Sundays. It's the Monday night games that will be the worst. 5:30 PM start time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bip Roberts posted:

Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Angels, Kings, and Ducks have plenty of fans, often from transplants.

Yeah, basically since the Clippers moved out of the Sports Arena (which was considered too old for sports in the 60s so no wonder no one went), LA's pretty solidly supported its sports teams, win or lose, despite the transient nature of the city. Their sellout streaks might break when the team is bad but they usually stay in the high 90s.

I feel like LA has changed a lot since the last time football was there. If it doesn't succeed now, it's meant that the NFL somehow hosed it up colossally, and not an indictment on the city.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Ross Angeles posted:

Dean Spanos looked like he wanted to throw up at the press conference

Yeah it was cool

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Someone explain to me why you can renovate the Superdome but renovating in Atlanta or St. Louis is impossible and instead requires a billion dollar replacement monstrosity. Thanks.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Every Ducks and Kings game I go to is loving packed.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I am excited for the LA Rams because I get to see the Panthers next season!

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

Kroenke is a human being piece of poo poo. Feel free to put put me on probation for drunkposting and homophobia for an extended period of time. Shalom :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcja4WFFzDw

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 13, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bip Roberts posted:

It's probably not too bad at all on a Sunday afternoon from 105 or surface streets. Even 405 is okay mid day Sundays. It's the Monday night games that will be the worst. 5:30 PM start time.

I can't even imagine. It once took me three hours to drive from Brentwood to Staples Center. I think one would just have to leave around 1:00 if they were coming from Orange County or something.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Someone explain to me why you can renovate the Superdome but renovating in Atlanta or St. Louis is impossible and instead requires a billion dollar replacement monstrosity. Thanks.

It's possible there's something physical about the stadium that makes renovation impossible, but it's more likely the owner is just more greedy. And doesn't have the huge negative PR of trying to move after a disaster like Katrina in New Orlean's case, Benson was absolutely looking to move for a while there.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Bip Roberts posted:

Excuse me this is SoCal we're talking about it. It's THE 405 and THE 105.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Can someone summarize because I'm confused as hell.

Chargers and Rams are going to be LA teams next season?

Raiders are staying in Oakland?

NFC west and AFC west stay the same (no teams switching conferences)?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

keevo posted:

Excuse me this is SoCal we're talking about it. It's THE 405 and THE 105.

Thank you, I was seriously getting triggered earlier

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

TG-Chrono posted:

Rubio did the best fan art...

:sadwave:

Hello new Ross av

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

Can someone summarize because I'm confused as hell.

Chargers and Rams are going to be LA teams next season?

Raiders are staying in Oakland?

NFC west and AFC west stay the same (no teams switching conferences)?

Rams are going to LA.

Chargers have the option to go to LA if they want. Most people think they will stay in San Diego for 2016. They have to make a decision for the 2016 by March 23rd, and LA in general by January 16th of next year.

If the Chargers don't make a decision by then, the Raiders get the option for LA.

The Raiders are stuck in Oakland until then.

Conferences and Divisions are the same.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Thank god for Terry Pegula.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

sba posted:

Thank god for Terry Pegula.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wolfy posted:

If the team keeps going in the right direction that place will be fuckin packed. Nobody will care how lovely it is except rich people, who will probably go watch the niners in their luxury boxes or whatever. It's probably not the best financial scenario for Mark Davis, but I'm sure he'll still make money.

Yeah, but it's probably gonna be packed wherever they go. Carr Cooper and Murray on offense, and Mack on defense. It's a fun young team to watch, and people will pay to see them. I mean, we just got out of like a 20 year relationship. There's no rush to commit to something long term. Go explore the world. Play for a year in St. Louis. Go to Mexico, go backpacking in Europe. We need to find ourselves before we can ever start talking about building a stadium imo.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Ross Angeles posted:

Rams are going to LA.

Chargers have the option to go to LA if they want. Most people think they will stay in San Diego for 2016. They have to make a decision for the 2016 by March 23rd, and LA in general by January 16th of next year.

If the Chargers don't make a decision by then, the Raiders get the option for LA.

The Raiders are stuck in Oakland until then.

Conferences and Divisions are the same.

Thanks Ross!!!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Stan Kroenke
Clay Bennett
Norm Green
Dean Spanos

Burn in hell all y'all

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why would anybody build an enclosed stadium in Los Angeles?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Frackie Robinson posted:

Why would anybody build an enclosed stadium in Los Angeles?

ooo it might get INCLEMENT ooo nooooooooooo oooooooooooo noooooooooo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Stan Kroenke still owns a Lacrosse team lol

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Sharzak posted:

The streets after getting off the freeway will be way worse than the freeway. Hollywood Park isn't exactly right off the 105

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Wait so if the stadium isn't ready for 3 years are the rams going to keep playing in stl in front of no fans

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

^^^^ LA Coliseum, where they used to play and USC plays now.

Sharzak posted:

Take Olympic, you'll be fine.

Also I have no idea why I feel this way but I really think the Chargers will get something worked out to stay in San Diego and the same for Oakland/Raiders making this the best possible outcome.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

kiimo posted:

^^^^ LA Coliseum, where they used to play and USC plays now.

Take Olympic, you'll be fine.

Also I have no idea why I feel this way but I really think the Chargers will get something worked out to stay in San Diego and the same for Oakland/Raiders making this the best possible outcome.

Ah ok. I liked my idea better

Also didn't the rams leave LA because they didn't want to play in that stadium because if so lol

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

https://twitter.com/kingbrian_/status/687139607687729152

KROENKE SUCKS

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
This morning, when I heard the news, I fell to my knees and thanked God that the Packers do not have an owner, and that the team cannot be moved from Green Bay without triggering the dissolution of the franchise and the disbursement of any profits from the sale of the team to the local VFW.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

kiimo posted:

I agree. There's no reason the chargers or raiders should move. I'm actually sympathetic to the raiders about their stadium situation, the coliseum is probably the worst stadium in pro sports overall. It's a real shithole (sometimes literally).

The As should have their own place as well, there's something tacky about playing football on half a baseball field.

But Oakland should pay roughly $0 for new stadiums. I applaud the city council and mayor of Oakland for drawing that line.

A team in LA makes sense, and the Rams played there longer than they played in St Louis. Good luck Chargers, hope you stay put, hope you get a new stadium without costing taxpayers money because gently caress the Spanos family and your shady real estate wealth

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

This morning, when I heard the news, I fell to my knees and thanked God that the Packers do not have an owner, and that the team cannot be moved from Green Bay without triggering the dissolution of the franchise and the disbursement of any profits from the sale of the team to the local VFW.

This should be all sports teams. Any team that gets a new stadium paid for by taxpayers should immediately surrender an equity stake to said city in proportion to cost.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Ammanas posted:

the Rams played there longer than they played in St Louis.

More than twice as long, actually.

I agree with you on Oakland standing firm. Public financing for billionaires to make more money from stadiums needs to end. The stadiums do not provide economic benefit anywhere on par with the tax money given. People will go to bars or restaurants either way, they're not going to save money. This is America and we will just piss all our money away some way, somehow.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Apparently the Best Fans™ couldn't stop a team from being moved.

St. Louis' situation reminds me of the Kingdome issue Seattle faced. The stadium was only 20ish years old, the county still owed money on it, and both the MLB and the NFL were saying how awful it was. Thankfully a good playoff run saved the Mariners and Paul Allen saved the Seahawks.

Sorry, Rams fans (and eventually sorry to Charger fans)

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Don't feel sorry for saint Louis. It's a racist hellhole and deserves all the suffering it gets :HOTTAKE:

Also I doubt the chargers go anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The Chargers are real dumb if they move in 2017 after the Rams have had a year to get back in the mindshare of LA.

• Locked thread