Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

Apparently with me being elsewhere, Inko is so clingy and desperate now he's started (on rare occasions) to fly :3:

This of course infuriates Ohtori to no end (and unnerves Steve)

Seeee, he loves you :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

It's probably more he doesn't like being alone but has become attached to us enough to do something about it sometimes, but I'd like to think there's something genuine there :3: There's been blood drawn, but only when a human was involved-amazingly Ohtori has been incredibly restrained though visibly aggressive.

I bought Inko a shelf perch and a fleece snuggie thing, to make a sort of warm not-nest in a top corner where he can cuddle up and sleep without falling or getting hormonal about it. I hope he likes it, it's going to look really drat cute

(Ohtori got a fleece snug too, in Steve yellow)

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 13, 2016

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
Took Pekoe to the vet because his weird constant regurgitating transformed into what looks like constant chewing. Like, hours of chewing on maybe 4 or so pellets.
They said his crop felt a bit lumpier than they'd like, so they took a crop sample with a tube, and are sending it off to a lab. It may be a fungal or bacterial infection. Or neither! Won't know for a few days.

At least he is still his usual chipper self and full of energy. The vet and staff kept saying what a well behaved bird he was. :3:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So, this may have just happened:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Birbs.WMV

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
needs more honking.

Fun fact! The sound of the alien queen hissing in Aliens is actually a swan!

Swans are scary.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

GoldStandardConure posted:

needs more honking.

Fun fact! The sound of the alien queen hissing in Aliens is actually a swan!

Swans are scary.

They're basically geese, but dressed for their wedding day.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

interesting choice of wedding dress here

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

SaNChEzZ posted:

Let's be honest here. Who doesn't want a taco credit card?

(I know it's Ritz, shut up.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SaNChEzZ posted:

Sekkira posted:

So, what you're saying is, he's putting on the Ritz? :v:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

That.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Grraarrgghh posted:

Which ones? The "KREEEEEE" noises she makes at the beginning she definitely learned from Albert (who did it by default), but the talking and other wacky poo poo I'm not sure about. "Pretty Bird" she could have learned from Albert I suppose.

My bird makes none of those noises, though she gets close with her post-bedtime-covering jabbering, but she's much more shrill and squeaky.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Some photos I've been sent

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Battle Pigeon posted:

Some photos I've been sent

My idiot tiels perch in spots like this all the time and then can't figure out how to get off of them

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I love these. It's like a play in two acts.

e:
"poo poo, steve move you have to get between them"
" :derptiel: OKAY :derptiel: "

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 14, 2016

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

That is exactly what happened and you have to either wait for him to launch himself blindly into space again, find a long perch to reach him, or send Ohtori after him

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I love these. It's like a play in two acts.

If you look carefully you can see Ohtori squinting/glaring in the first one, before he huffs away in the second :3:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah Ohtori has a solid mean mug

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
While I am waiting for the test results to come back, is there anyone else who has heard of this problem or experienced it with their birds (paging Pip pip pip!):

I am aware Pekoe may have a bacterial or fungal infection in his crop, but why would it cause him to chew extremely slowly? Does it feel easier to digest food if it's been overly pulverized or something?

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Wrecking Ball posted:

While I am waiting for the test results to come back, is there anyone else who has heard of this problem or experienced it with their birds (paging Pip pip pip!):

I am aware Pekoe may have a bacterial or fungal infection in his crop, but why would it cause him to chew extremely slowly? Does it feel easier to digest food if it's been overly pulverized or something?

It would be a good question for the vet, but I *think* the infection messes up the normal digestion process and food just gets backed up.

Either way, Pekoe should be fine after a round of medication I'm sure. With our old budgie - it didn't even lower her energy levels, we only noticed the mush face and her not angrily peeping at everything because she was too busy chewing.

She never super liked people her entire life, but the syringe-feeding didn't make her hate us. I miss having a budgie sometimes. Their gibbering is the best :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
All I can imagine when I look at these is that he's going "I AM STEVE :derptiel:"

"HELLO WALL I AM STEVE :derptiel:"

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Sekkira posted:

Somethings you just can't buy. For everything else there's TacoCard.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

how does the bird even decide to do this

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My red rumps do this on the door frame, but that's more to do with net avoidance.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Dreggon posted:

I don't think he thought this one through to be honest.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Goldfish crackers would be a use-sparingly junk food for love birds, right? My formerly-birdmocking friend texted me at some unholy hour and I don't want to lead him or his bird astray.

Tadhg Dall
Dec 5, 2008

Wrecking Ball posted:

I've been having a similar problem with my budgie. When he eats his pellets his crop bulges out and he has to chew and adjust his crop for a long time afterwards. My vet called it a crop motility problem and gave me an iodine supplement since apparently budgies develop iodine deficiencies easily. Between that and switching him to smaller pellets he has improved a lot and only has the weird crop bulge after eating the bigger pellets (and it's much less noticeable).

My vet wanted to try the iodine first but said if it didnt help she'd test his crop for infection and put him on an antibiotic.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dreggon posted:

must be on the highest perch :derptiel:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dreggon posted:

"I AM STEVE."

:derptiel:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

High quality morning flirting

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Trebuchet King posted:

Goldfish crackers would be a use-sparingly junk food for love birds, right? My formerly-birdmocking friend texted me at some unholy hour and I don't want to lead him or his bird astray.

As long as it's small pieces given infrequently that should be okay, I think. Whole crackers are probably a bad idea for such a small bird because of the cheese and sodium content.

I gave Ama a piece of goldfish cracker the other day and he liked it, so I went to give him another and he bit my finger really hard :saddowns:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

As long as it's small pieces given infrequently that should be okay, I think. Whole crackers are probably a bad idea for such a small bird because of the cheese and sodium content.

I gave Ama a piece of goldfish cracker the other day and he liked it, so I went to give him another and he bit my finger really hard :saddowns:

I love this BUT IT WILL MAKE ME FAT Y U DO DIS!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Meyer's parrots. Cuddly, more-interactive versions of cockatiels? More independent versions of conures? Quieter than both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u23IDomN6Uw

My SO's heart is asploding.

Edit:

Metal Gear Cockatoo: Tactical Espionage Screaming

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 14, 2016

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Meyer's parrots. Cuddly, more-interactive versions of cockatiels? More independent versions of conures? Quieter than both?

My SO's heart is asploding.

Edit:

Metal Gear Cockatoo: Tactical Espionage Screaming

Meyer's can be pretty drat loud, we've got one at our local bird club that doesn't speak quietly.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Potato Salad posted:

I dunno about Meyer's but Sennies are basically hyper-intelligent cockatiels that don't mind gnawing on wood all day while you work. Though that might be because mine has pet cockatiels and they've rubbed off on him.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Phone call just before bird bedtime: "Steve is in the bathroom singing alone and I have a conure on each arm and things are going great :D"

Phone call about twenty minutes later, after bird bedtime: "So yeah Ohtori attacked Inko when they both landed on Steve's cage but it was just superficial no bleeding also Steve was in the bathroom singing the whole time"

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

My Nanday just bit me in the face :saddowns: For some reason she hates it when I drink something

Battle Pigeon posted:

Phone call just before bird bedtime: "Steve is in the bathroom singing alone and I have a conure on each arm and things are going great :D"

Phone call about twenty minutes later, after bird bedtime: "So yeah Ohtori attacked Inko when they both landed on Steve's cage but it was just superficial no bleeding also Steve was in the bathroom singing the whole time"

I love the adventures of Inko, Ohtori, and Steve. Steve is my favorite :love:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Steve just doing his own thing :allears: You go Steve.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Dreggon posted:

You're making a pretty big assumption about the degree of agency a cockatiel has.

I mean, I'm pretty sure something goes on in those derpy little heads, but I'd be hard pressed to call it thinking

:kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

DarkHorse posted:

You're making a pretty big assumption about the degree of agency a cockatiel has.

I mean, I'm pretty sure something goes on in those derpy little heads, but I'd be hard pressed to call it thinking

:kimchi:

Cockatiels exist. They exist and enjoy it. Except when there is something that makes them not enjoy it. Then they get mad at the thing until it goes away. :derptiel: