Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
It's the only aircraft in the game with a proper digital FBW, equivalent to the F-16. So yeah it should. You can turn it off from what I've read and it becomes pretty difficult to fly. Don't own it myself yet though.

The F-15 doesn't have one at all and the Su-27 has a somewhat limited system for pitch stabilisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Slim Mat posted:

I'm going to need a step-by-step guide or something, because many posts out there say "I got it working" or "install the thing, enjoy head tracking" but it doesn't go like that at all.

I installed opentrack 2.3 prior to the disconnecting of the face tracking api - it seems to work on the point tracker, but that's no good right, because it picks up a million points in the room and the octopus has a seizure? The facetrack crashed the program.
Next up I installed FaceTrackNoIR - no raw input data is displayed, it added a bunch of devices to DCS controls including virtual joysticks and the TrackIR column, upon loading a flight it just locks the view forward without tracking and the mouse just causes flicking.
I then copied in the the ED headtracking api folder to the /bin directory of the game, but no change.

Can someone walk me through from the start? No doubt I'm missing some steps here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Wg7li8_qM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNS4B255TaA

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Reminds me of when I first played Falcon and assumed it just had a cheap old flight model. Then my flight computer got bricked by North Korean flak and, well, nope.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I got a 15cm extension for my Warthog so my wrist doesn't die after trying to fly helicopters. It's much nicer now. Do you guys set your joystick axis on a curve for helicopters and if so what's a good setting?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
As a person who's flown the MiG-21 a lot, the real trick to it is only go ~just~ as fast as you need to go. This (hopefully) allows you to actually evade when the need arises. In my experience, you only have about one good engagement on equal terms before you are either out of missiles, out of fuel, or dead. If you are shooting fish in a barrel and it's totally on your terms, then it's until you are out of missiles, and you are dead in the inverse situation. Coming from planes like the F-15 and Su-27 is probably the hardest because they carry a gazillion missiles and tons of fuel. I used to fly the MiG-29 exclusively, which operates on fairly similar parameters (is not the best plane, limited fuel/ammo) so people who have FC3 but not MiG-21 can use it to simulate what it's kind of like.

Going into a fight, I really do prefer have GCI/AWACs to call out threats without having to switch on the radar, this stops me from painting myself on the RWR and conserves coolant time. I try to fly as low as practical, this can be difficult if there's SAMs/MANPADS but really you shouldn't be flying the 21 in such a high-threat environment. Look for potential bad dudes VISUALLY and it's always good habit to actually interrogate IFF, even if you are sure it's a bad dude. I flop between using 2x R-3R's and either R-3S/K-13s or R-60s, depending on what I think I'll face. I find the R-3's, while lesser in quantity, have a slightly better kill rate due to the larger warhead and this allows me to hunt A-10s. The R-60 is good for fighter-sized targets but I have unloaded a whole salvo of them at an A-10 and not shot it down. Technically these are all rear-aspect missiles from memory but I think the R-60 isn't too bad at all aspect.

As always, you are only going to shoot down the skyknights if you genuinely surprise them.

deck
Jul 13, 2006

ghetto wormhole posted:

I got a 15cm extension for my Warthog so my wrist doesn't die after trying to fly helicopters. It's much nicer now. Do you guys set your joystick axis on a curve for helicopters and if so what's a good setting?

I'm sure it's highly personal. Try it and see how it feels. I've progressively ramped up to a curve of 24 for cyclic on the UH-1, just because it feels so light and touchy without it. Curve of 16 for the Mi-8. I'm in the habit of trimming often, so the curves feel fine.

My biggest problem with the helicopters is that my saitek pedals suck for anti-torque. Maybe they'd work better with the springs removed? Anyone tried it?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Slim Mat posted:

I'm going to need a step-by-step guide or something, because many posts out there say "I got it working" or "install the thing, enjoy head tracking" but it doesn't go like that at all.

I installed opentrack 2.3 prior to the disconnecting of the face tracking api - it seems to work on the point tracker, but that's no good right, because it picks up a million points in the room and the octopus has a seizure? The facetrack crashed the program.
Next up I installed FaceTrackNoIR - no raw input data is displayed, it added a bunch of devices to DCS controls including virtual joysticks and the TrackIR column, upon loading a flight it just locks the view forward without tracking and the mouse just causes flicking.
I then copied in the the ED headtracking api folder to the /bin directory of the game, but no change.

Can someone walk me through from the start? No doubt I'm missing some steps here.
I made a quick guide a while back for using opentrack's aruco tracker with Elite. You want to use aruco since face tracking is kind of awful, and you clearly don't have an IR LED setup appropriate for the point tracker.

Not sure if it'll require archives at this point, but here's the link.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
I noticed the paper marker tracking option in opentrack and thought that might be a decent way to go. I'll probably switch over to opentrack when the dude gets the face tracking sussed. In the mean time, the golden rule of restarting after installing drivers and/or software made things happen.

It's a bit shaky but I just need to fine tune it. Looking in to the idea of creating a curve shaped like steps instead to prevent shake and make it work more like snap view locations. For low effort and :10bux::10bux: I'm pretty happy with it. Certainly wouldn't not have head tracking just because it doesn't work as professionally as TrackIR.

Steps for FaceTrackNoIR are:
    1. Buy camera - PS3 eye recommended
    2. Buy the driver
    3. Install the driver
    4. Plug in camera
    5. Restart computer
    6. Download FaceTrackNoIR v170, the v170 hotfix and the ED API interface .dll (64bit).
    7. Extract the ED .dll as per readme .txt in zip file
    8. Install FTNoIR and the hotfix
    9. Run FTNoIR and load the dcs .ini profile from the location you extracted to in step 7, clicking 'start' starts the tracking and you should see your face in the video box with a yellow mask
    10. Run DCS and check that the TrackIR column as been added to the control list, head tracking should be mapped to the absolute camera things
    11. Adjust the curves and other settings using the manual as a guide, for DCS you want FaceAPI, Accela and FreeTrack.

Slim Mat fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 11, 2016

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

Join me this Saturday at 1PM EST in purging fascist aggressors from the Caucasus in everyone's favorite Soviet death rocket- the Mig-21bis!

The mission is is the famed Mig21 dynamic campaign by MBot. Mudspike raves about it here. Seven slots available; six Russian rocket-coffins and a player AWACs (in spectator).

Mig-21 #1: Comrade Snaxx
Mig-21 #2: Comrade Forums Terrorist
Mig-21 #3: Comrade Mirage
Mig-21 #4: Comrade BMan
Mig-21 #5: Comrade Deutsch Nozzle
Mig-21 #6: Comrade Ghetto Wormhole
AWACs/GCI: Comrade MrYenko (Tentative)

Alternate 1: Lockmart Lawndart

Snaxx fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 16, 2016

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I'm in.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

Snaxx posted:

The mission is is the famed Mig21 dynamic campaign by MBot. Mudspike raves about it here. 8 slots available, all Russian rocket-coffins.

What version of DCS?

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
1.5 stable.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
I will most likely be around for that

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sign me up. I haven't actually tried that dynamic campaign yet...

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I'm down, I will have to practice cold starting all day tomorrow but I shoot missile real good.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I'd be up for some mig, if I can remember to install 1.5

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dont have the MiG :( Anybody up for streaming the mission, or is that a bandwith hog?

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
And the flight is full within hours! Those capitalist pigs are likely still trying to fit into their pants.

If for whatever reason you can no longer save our Republic on Saturday, please let me know so I can open the slot.

I'll put the server up at noon for practice, to help limit our self-induced casualty rate. We can use the airgoons mumble.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Snaxx posted:

Join me this Saturday at 1PM EST in purging fascist aggressors from the Caucasus in everyone's favorite Soviet death rocket- the Mig-21bis!

The mission is is the famed Mig21 dynamic campaign by MBot. Mudspike raves about it here. Seven slots available; six Russian rocket-coffins and potentially a player AWACs in spectator (need to test).

Mig-21 #1: Comrade Snaxx
Mig-21 #2: Comrade Forums Terrorist
Mig-21 #3: Comrade Mirage
Mig-21 #4: Comrade BMan
Mig-21 #5: Comrade Deutsch Nozzle
Mig-21 #6: Comrade Ghetto Wormhole
AWACs/GCI: Comrade MrYenko (Tentative)

Put me down.

Edit: reading is hard. I might pop in to see if there was a no show.

Lockmart Lawndart fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 16, 2016

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Dandywalken posted:

Dont have the MiG :( Anybody up for streaming the mission, or is that a bandwith hog?

I'm going to try to but I'll probably be the first person to die horribly!

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
drat that filled up quick

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
[Insert mother on prom night joke here]

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

That's 3am my time but if there's a way to watch I'd love to see how things go.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

ghetto wormhole posted:

I'm going to try to but I'll probably be the first person to die horribly!

Got the stream working and smooth. Gonna convert my trackir to be wireless tomorrow and do some takeoff and landing practice :toot:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Thrustmaster customer support is staffed by literal retards. I emailed them to see if they could send me a replacement pinky switch for my Warthog throttle and four days later they reply and ask me for a picture of the sticker on the bottom of the joystick, not the throttle, and a picture of my "proof of purchase". Kind of odd but ok whatever, here's a picture of the quality control sticker on the thing that's not broken and a picture of a generic barcode on the side of the box. A couple days later they reply back that by "proof of purchase" they were referring to the receipt or invoice and not the thing that's literally called the proof of purchase. They also want me to look at a PDF of the joystick (not the throttle) so I can tell them specifically which button is broken.

I took a picture of it and drew a circle around it in MS paint so they wouldn't get confused. Hopefully they can find it in their hearts to reply before the weekend.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
They're not retards, they're doing their jobs. Even with its cost, the Warthog is still a consumer electronic and after you've been suckered into letting go of your money TM has no financial incentive to help you; they've already got your cash.

So the process of actually getting help is made as difficult as possible to make you go away. Fulling the terms of the warranty is a net loss.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

So I cant find the DCS thread but I accidently did a button in the main menu and now my screen looks like:

:smith: I did a complete re-install but nothing works, any ideas?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Try pressing ALT-ENTER to switch it to fullscreen mode.

You might also try deleting the graphics settings. Go to C:\Users\<Your Username>\Saved Games\DCS\Config and delete options.lua. If you only delete that file it won't touch your keybindings or anything. The DCS folder in Saved Games doesn't get deleted when you uninstall/reinstall so if something was mucked up in there it would remain between reinstalls.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 15, 2016

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Sauer posted:

Try pressing ALT-ENTER to switch it to fullscreen mode.

You might also try deleting the graphics settings. Go to C:\Users\<Your Username>\Saved Games\DCS\Config and delete options.lua. If you only delete that file it won't touch your keybindings or anything. The DCS folder in Saved Games doesn't get deleted when you uninstall/reinstall so if something was mucked up in there it would remain between reinstalls.

Deleting the files helped, Thanks!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Hot drat, this Su-33 campaign just got a lot easier now that I realized it has autoland.

Especially when the mission designer destroys your HUD at the end of a pitch black night mission :argh:

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have the CH configuration for Falcon? The download link on the wiki no longer works:

http://viperinstructors.com/main/mediawiki/index.php?title=CH_Products_Fighterstick_%2B_Pro_Throttle

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Comrades assemble!

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Putting up the server now for practice. Real deal at 1:00EST (45 mins from now).

Server name: "goony goony goon goon"
ip: 69.116.183.74:10308
pw: lljk

AirGoons Mumble (in Op)

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
http://www.twitch.tv/bringguns

Stream is up, sorry if the quality is poo poo or whatever. My first time really doing it.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
An excellent taxi job.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
gently caress

I did it!!

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 16, 2016

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The proper unit of distance in Russia is the Matryoshka doll. You were 34 dolls out.

edit: well at least you didn't explode

SoapyTarantula fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 16, 2016

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
A smooth landing if there ever was one!

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Looks like we will have a free spot. Lawndart has dibs if he wants it. Otherwise, jump in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
:ussr: