Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
My first executive decision came in.

I have decided to dump FreshDesk and adopt Spiceworks.

FreshDesk is absolute garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

larchesdanrew posted:

My first executive decision came in.

I have decided to dump FreshDesk and adopt Spiceworks.

FreshDesk is absolute garbage.

Spiceworks is absolute garbage. Worst first decision ever.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Moey posted:

Spiceworks is absolute garbage. Worst first decision ever.

That's just, like, your opinion, man

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

larchesdanrew posted:

But my opinion matters, damnit.

Did you ever order yourself a nice chair?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I've never used it before, but I thought the CW here was that Spiceworks was good. Did it change for the worse, or has the pendulum just swung in something else's favor?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

stubblyhead posted:

I've never used it before, but I thought the CW here was that Spiceworks was good. Did it change for the worse, or has the pendulum just swung in something else's favor?

I found it super obnioux how they data mine all the inventory stuff, everything is tied to social media and the ads (in the free version).

There are other free solutions out there for ticketing.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Moey posted:

Did you ever order yourself a nice chair?

Nah, one of these poo poo chairs is actually pretty comfy and has rad lumbar support. Also, turns out the conference room has an excess of high back leather executive chairs ripe for the plundering.

stubblyhead posted:

It seems everyone has different opinions on what is best and what is worst. Spiceworks falls in the "great for something free" category, but the tickets we get are so few and basic that it'll serve perfectly. Plus, it's what I'm used to using and offers some neat network monitoring tools.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Ah, that's right, you set that up at your old place.

There's probably better options if you pay, but I guess it's not terrible for the price.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I cannot stress enough how much better Zendesk is over Spiceworks. I pay for a single $10 yearly instance for myself just to keep track of incidents and problems. If you have a tiny department it's worth the small amount of money.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

pixaal posted:

If you have lurked in the thread long enough you'll realize that no matter how high up the chain you go you still get tickets. Even really stupid tickets that should have been completed by the people under you. Or you still see a ticket in the system because you are overseeing it. You will still have a reason to post here.

CTO Megathread: A ticket came in

e: Zendesk is Really Good.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jeoh posted:

CTO Megathread: A Major Incident Report came in

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Thirding the Zendesk love. I only wish my current company used it. One of our developers mentioned OSTicket http://osticket.com/ which I've never heard of but may be worth a look.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

larchesdanrew posted:

To be fair, spiceworks *IS* pretty garbage.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
+1 Zendesk.

Anyone use desk.com?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

+1 Zendesk and gently caress 'CA Helpdesk'

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Zendesk or Jira Service Desk

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Jeoh posted:

CTO Megathread: A ticket came in

Greatbacon posted:

CTO Megathread: A Major Incident Report came in

CTO Megathread: Chair Outage Affecting Production, Do the Needful

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I don't get the love for zendesk unless you're using that free tier? its stupidly expensive and they're pretty controlling with your data. Did they ever fix the issue where you CANNOT edit a tickets individual entries? Or delete tickets? Only whole tickets can be hidden, one rando customer posting their CC details, hope they never get hacked again.

We use kayako at my current job and I'm not a fan. Spent a bunch of time recently tweaking the templates for the customer facing site to not be a pile of poo poo. Every single page has - powered by kayako in the title. Half the pages use a generic title, so if you're in some random category looking at a list of articles, the page title is just "knowledgebase" hope you didn't want semi-accurate search results. Additionally, if you gently caress up a syntax error with their garbage template syntax, it doesn't tell you when you save, just went you go look at the terrible error message being returned to customers.

:bang:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You guys are all living the dream.

Our ticketing system was built, by me, in Sharepoint Online.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our ticketing system is my email inbox.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

deimos posted:

Zendesk or Jira Service Desk

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It'd look kind of bad for larch to immediately reverse his first executive decision, wouldn't it?

E: Unless I'm reading his post wrong and he's only decided to change, but hasn't done so or told anyone yet.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

It'd look kind of bad for larch to immediately reverse his first executive decision, wouldn't it?

E: Unless I'm reading his post wrong and he's only decided to change, but hasn't done so or told anyone yet.

It's none of their concern.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
At least it's not Serena.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Working on a client issue dealing with folder and file permissions with stuff shared off an Ubuntu Linux VM. Now I didn't set this up but whoever did set up Webmin to admin it which is helpful at times so I don't have to go futzing around in the CLI.

Now in the Samba share settings there are options for setting default permissions on folder and file creation. These are set to 775 by default which is fine since it gives everybody in the groups the access they need...except they are totally ignored by the server. Having dealt with similar issues in the past the first thing I checked was the umask which is set to 022 by default on the server. Well there's the problem right there! I set it to 007 to match the needs of the client and everything started working fine.

Which makes me wonder why Webmin even bothers with letting you set the default permissions when they have little to no bearing on the actual function of the system.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

pr0digal posted:

Working on a client issue dealing with folder and file permissions with stuff shared off an Ubuntu Linux VM. Now I didn't set this up but whoever did set up Webmin to admin it which is helpful at times so I don't have to go futzing around in the CLI.

Now in the Samba share settings there are options for setting default permissions on folder and file creation. These are set to 775 by default which is fine since it gives everybody in the groups the access they need...except they are totally ignored by the server. Having dealt with similar issues in the past the first thing I checked was the umask which is set to 022 by default on the server. Well there's the problem right there! I set it to 007 to match the needs of the client and everything started working fine.

Which makes me wonder why Webmin even bothers with letting you set the default permissions when they have little to no bearing on the actual function of the system.

Solved your own problem. Don't use webmin. Ever.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

jaegerx posted:

Solved your own problem. Don't use webmin. Ever.

This is good advice. Thankfully this is probably the only client that I'll ever have to deal with webmin for....

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

pr0digal posted:

This is good advice. Thankfully this is probably the only client that I'll ever have to deal with webmin for....

Funny enough. Rackspace bare metal servers still come with webmin. I fought for years to remove it. Never happened. It's still up and running on their default managed install. I don't believe the cloud servers have it though.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
A ticket didn't come in until 9am:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Lord Dudeguy posted:

:allears:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I love this so much.

If that happened at my company, we'd be calling the billing guy and telling him to get his rear end out of bed and onto his laptop to fix it.

Kind reminder that steadfast's website advertises four 9s.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

pr0digal posted:

Thirding the Zendesk love. I only wish my current company used it. One of our developers mentioned OSTicket http://osticket.com/ which I've never heard of but may be worth a look.

I brought up OSTicket when my last company was looking for a new helpdesk.

I spun it up at home and it was pretty nice. Made the GF put in tickets for poo poo like doing the dishes, tracked everything, it looked pretty...
Came time to test it at work: everything was broke and it was hosed. We didn't test it beyond that.

Zendesk.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

We did an anon survey where I worked one year and under the "What bureaucratic process could be done away with to increase productivity and workflow" like 3 different departments (All the big ones at that) listed the CIO by name.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Told a guy to open SQL Server Management Studio using Run As Administrator, and I think he got really upset at that suggestion because he described in excruciating detail the process he used to log on. And he's not using run as administrator, so he's still getting the error v:shobon:v

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Lord Dudeguy posted:

US business hours no less. I had to do work this morning!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ghostlight posted:

You guys are all living the dream.

Our ticketing system was built, by me, in Sharepoint Online.

I'm pretty sure ours was the first search result for ticket system in SourceForge years ago when it was installed.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Renegret posted:

I love this so much.

If that happened at my company, we'd be calling the billing guy and telling him to get his rear end out of bed and onto his laptop to fix it.

By four 9s they mean 9am for four consecutive days

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I spun it up at home and it was pretty nice. Made the GF put in tickets for poo poo like doing the dishes, tracked everything, it looked pretty...
This raises so many questions:

Was there an SLA for different chores?
Did this extend to shows of affection?
To whom could she escalate if a ticket went unresolved?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Renegret posted:

I love this so much.

An easy mistake, but that actually means 99.9% uptime & help desk hours start @ 9AM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

The Macaroni posted:

Did this extend to shows of affection?

:argh: "This is affecting affection!"

• Locked thread