Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Warlord only really works well in conjuction with Chiraneau, since it means that bombers disengage at speed 3 rather than 2.

Also Overload Pulse doesn't really work with Avenger if the upgrade is on the ship itself. The defender can use defence tokens BEFORE you resolve the critical effect, so the overload pulse does nothing apart from exhausting the defence tokens afterwards and thus help other ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Tekopo posted:

Warlord only really works well in conjuction with Chiraneau, since it means that bombers disengage at speed 3 rather than 2.

Also Overload Pulse doesn't really work with Avenger if the upgrade is on the ship itself. The defender can use defence tokens BEFORE you resolve the critical effect, so the overload pulse does nothing apart from exhausting the defence tokens afterwards and thus help other ships.

Beat me to it. At the Massing at Sullust tournament, when I got to the final table and chose to play rebels, my opponent did the Avenger + Overload Pulse combo on the same ship as well, and I did not catch it at the time (chalking it up to fatigue, game 4 of the day) when he happily declared that all of my tokens were useless. Still blew his ISD away, but it's important to remember that critical effects resolve in the damage step, not when modifying dice and spending defensive tokens.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Reynold posted:

Beat me to it. At the Massing at Sullust tournament, when I got to the final table and chose to play rebels, my opponent did the Avenger + Overload Pulse combo on the same ship as well, and I did not catch it at the time (chalking it up to fatigue, game 4 of the day) when he happily declared that all of my tokens were useless. Still blew his ISD away, but it's important to remember that critical effects resolve in the damage step, not when modifying dice and spending defensive tokens.

Whoops! Good to know. Good advice about the Bombers, too. I'll have to take another look at the list. Thanks guys.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Reynold posted:

Hey 'guy cheated on the final table at Sullust' buddy. My opponent put a gunnery team on his MC80 :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also a funny list would be:

ISDII with Gunnery Team, Electronic Countermeasures, Avenger and Screed

4x Raider II with Overload Pulses :q:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I am highly tempted to try something like that. I mean I've already said how hard I want that combo to work anyway. May as well go all in right? :v:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmPBFBjNHVE
Preview for the next Rebels ep. These ships look MIGHTY familiar and I'd buy a Armada scale version in a heartbeat

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Those are Thranta class corvettes right? Does this mean that there's a chance other TOR era ships might be in play? :allears:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Eimi posted:

Those are Thranta class corvettes right? Does this mean that there's a chance other TOR era ships might be in play? :allears:

If they aren't, they're doing a pretty good impression.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Just picked up a MC30 and a Rebel Starf pack now that they just restocked at the FLGS. I love that the MC30 looks like somebody built a small town on top of a torpedo

My buddy's loves the idea of them and wonders how feasible it would be to load them up and run 4 of them at 100 points each?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Just picked up a MC30 and a Rebel Starf pack now that they just restocked at the FLGS. I love that the MC30 looks like somebody built a small town on top of a torpedo

My buddy's loves the idea of them and wonders how feasible it would be to load them up and run 4 of them at 100 points each?

4 of them at about 90ish points (don't forget about the commander) will likely be a very hit or miss list. The MC30s are fragile, and if you lose one early, you are going to have a tough time recovering. Your list is probably going to be very dependent on being first player and having an extra ship over your opponent for back to back activations.

Not to mention that X17 turbolasers will shut down MC30s pretty hard. That will be dependent on your local meta if people use that upgrade regularly.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

They are very scary, but yeah I dunno how viable a full list of them would be. A loaded up one with the defensive title and Mon Motha as your admiral is a beast however.

Speaking of, I just need to get better sailing my ships. I know there are some videos out there for how to fly in Xwang, are there any similar tips and tricks for Armada? Especially Imperial side?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Eimi posted:

They are very scary, but yeah I dunno how viable a full list of them would be. A loaded up one with the defensive title and Mon Motha as your admiral is a beast however.

Speaking of, I just need to get better sailing my ships. I know there are some videos out there for how to fly in Xwang, are there any similar tips and tricks for Armada? Especially Imperial side?

I'd really like this too, I have no idea what I'm doing in general.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Thirded. Still trying to get a handle on maneuvering so I'm not constantly crashing ships into each other and flying off the board.

What kind of orders do you guys use starting out? Boost to speed 3 to get in range, then deploy fighters, then focus fire, then repair?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

For ISD's it's usually first turn Maneuver (starting at 2) usually banking the token. Then it's a gamble on do you want to Maneuver again, usually for the arc than speed, or prepare to squadron. I want to be able to do at least one Squadron on both my carrier and the ISD just for the flexibility of being able to activate off both. Then it's usually repair, unless I think they will try and shoot something else. I don't really like concentrate fire for the frontal arc at least, as even if you just have 4 standard TIEs, one squadron could be 4 blue die vs 1 of any color from concentrate. I think Concentrate is better on smaller ships or worse arcs, but I may be an idiot there. For carrier Vic its basically one maneuver all squadron all the time. For my raider it's all over. Usually really prayer more than anything else, as I find my raider is either off touring the distant part of the board or turned into star dust really quickly. I prefer to start my destroyers at 2, and usually stay there or slow down. Again I am terrible.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 13, 2016

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

This is my experience on dials for Imperials when running a VSD, 2x GSD, and 3ish TIE Ints.

I always started the VSD at speed 2, and the GSD usually at 2 as well. All three ships would have a turn 1 engineering for the token. Then all three ships have maneuver. Mostly for the token, but occasionally for positioning (whatever was needed to get a good shot lined up with the GSDs.

The third dial is where it starts getting tough to generalise. The gladiators usually had a concentrate fire for that opening salvo (hopefully at range 1). I would usually use it to add a black die and try for a crit to save Screed for the second attack. The VSD would sometimes have a squadron command set up if I needed the alpha strike to remove a squad (or to make sure something got locked down) otherwise it also got a concentrate fire command to help with the opening salvo.

After that, the gladiators typically altered engineering and navigate to help keep them alive, or keep their firepower on target. More navigate commands if they had engine techs, and more engineering if they were taking damage. I will sometimes queue up nothing but engineering commands if a particular GSD is the primary target. If a gladiator is taking all the attention, it usually leave the other to set up for some nasty attacks.

The VSD usually starts alternating concentrate fire and navigate commands for the last turns. The navigate is for extra turning to desperately try to keep anything in arc, or just in range. The Concentrate fire to make sure that when you can shoot at something you get as much damage out as possible.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Don't forget that Ackbar lets you be hilariously flexible with MC30cs.

I am currently running a pair of Scouts, one with TRC's and Gunnery Team, the other with APT, Ordinance Experts, and Admonition. Long range fire and death to anyone dumb enough to get into close range. Only drawbacks are that they crumple like wet tissue paper (alleviated by staying at range) and have nothing resembling squadron support.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Orvin posted:

This is my experience on dials for Imperials when running a VSD, 2x GSD, and 3ish TIE Ints.

I always started the VSD at speed 2, and the GSD usually at 2 as well. All three ships would have a turn 1 engineering for the token. Then all three ships have maneuver. Mostly for the token, but occasionally for positioning (whatever was needed to get a good shot lined up with the GSDs.

The third dial is where it starts getting tough to generalise. The gladiators usually had a concentrate fire for that opening salvo (hopefully at range 1). I would usually use it to add a black die and try for a crit to save Screed for the second attack. The VSD would sometimes have a squadron command set up if I needed the alpha strike to remove a squad (or to make sure something got locked down) otherwise it also got a concentrate fire command to help with the opening salvo.

After that, the gladiators typically altered engineering and navigate to help keep them alive, or keep their firepower on target. More navigate commands if they had engine techs, and more engineering if they were taking damage. I will sometimes queue up nothing but engineering commands if a particular GSD is the primary target. If a gladiator is taking all the attention, it usually leave the other to set up for some nasty attacks.

The VSD usually starts alternating concentrate fire and navigate commands for the last turns. The navigate is for extra turning to desperately try to keep anything in arc, or just in range. The Concentrate fire to make sure that when you can shoot at something you get as much damage out as possible.

How much of an advantage is there for getting rid of a dial? Basically, is the Relentless title for ISD any good at all?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

For 3 points, it's a bargain.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

How much of an advantage is there for getting rid of a dial? Basically, is the Relentless title for ISD any good at all?

Tekopo posted:

For 3 points, it's a bargain.

It doesn't do a whole lot, but the added flexibility can be very helpful. As Tekopo said, it's really nice for only three points, if you don't want to use/don't have the points for one of the other titles.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I don't think there is ever really a set structure for my dials in the early game, it all depends on the objective and how setup went, whether or not I'm running Garm Bel Iblis, etc. Late game however, I usually play conservatively with engineering commands for the last few rounds on my medium and large ships. Using the new crew cards (Wing Commander and so forth) or something like Weapons Liaison allows you the flexibility to not worry about it really.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I got some Armada ships for Christmas and now I'm looking for a decent list to learn how to play (and probably play in the store championships casually). Right now I have the core set, an ISD and a GSD. I was thinking run Tarkin, 2x ISD 2 with gunnery teams, the Gladiator 2 and 4 tie fighter squadrons + Howlrunner. So, my question is 1) how bad is this 2) is it a good list to learn the game if you've literally never played before (seems like it) and 3) if I wanted to upgrade to an actual competitive list, what would be the best purchase?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Similarly here is what I want to build http://armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/view_list.php?token=7677 it looks pretty cool, any thoughts

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Dengar is pointless without TIE Advanced. I was coming up with a fleet with 3 bombers, Rhymer, a jumpmaster, 2 advanced and 2 Firesprays myself

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am not sure if I got the idea from someone here, or on the FFG forums, but I want to run this at some point. Just lots of ties, and with Tarkin handing out tokens, 12 activations a turn. There isn't much that can hold up to 12 dice when they are one at a time. That's not even including the long range annoyance from 3 VSDs. Should also be enough squadron power to deal with the Fireball that has a lot of people scared.

Imperial Swarms

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Grand Moff Tarkin

Assault Objective: Advanced Gunnery
Defense Objective: Hyperspace Assault
Navigation Objective: Superior Positions

[ flagship ] Victory I-Class Star Destroyer (73 points)
- Grand Moff Tarkin ( 38 points)
- Boosted Comms ( 4 points)
Victory I-Class Star Destroyer (73 points)
Victory I-Class Star Destroyer (73 points)
1 "Howlrunner" ( 16 points)
1 Major Rhymer ( 16 points)
8 TIE Fighter Squadrons ( 64 points)
2 TIE Advanced Squadrons ( 24 points)

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
This might be a really silly question, but how often does Amazon (or sister stores that sell on Amazon with Prime Shipping) restock Armada ships? I get paid soon/have a birthday coming up and want to pick some up but things like the Gladiator are bum out (FFG says they are on a boat so I'm guessing reprint) while other things like the Rebel/Imperial squadrons don't have anyone selling them at Prime listings despite being apparently readily available according to FFG site.

I know they recently changed up their selling contracts or something? Or will I likely be able to get what I'm looking for in a week or two's time? I'm not terribly opposed to buying elsewhere it's just Amazon is so convenient.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

If the base of a large ship like a Star Destroyer straddles two adjacent firing arcs of the attacking ship, can the same ship be attacked twice as long as you are still firing from different arcs?

vvv oh, that is marvelous vvv

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 14, 2016

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

If the base of a large ship like a Star Destroyer straddles two adjacent firing arcs of the attacking ship, can the same ship be attacked twice as long as you are still firing from different arcs?

Yep

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Yup, that is what made the gladiator so strong. Park it next to something at close range at a slight angle, and hit the same arc with your front and side arcs.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So...is filling every upgrade slot on an ISD and VSD a waste of points?

ISD II
Vader
Wing commander
Gunnery team
Expanded Hangar bay
Advanced projectors
SW-7 ion batteries
X17 turbolasers
Relentless title

VSD II
Wing commander
Gunnery team
Boosted comms
Leading shots
Heavy turbolaser turrets
Dominator title

3x TIE fighter squadrons
1x Howlrunner
2x Interceptor squadrons
2x TIE bomber squadrons

400/400

Between those two ships and the wing commanders, that's up to 8 squadrons/turn throwing various colors of dice at anything in striking distance before the main ship shoots at anything. My 4 ship list (ISD, VSD, 2x GSD, 5x TIE fighter squadrons) got beaten pretty well, so I'm veering on the other side now and upgrading ships rather than bringing more of them. Probably a bit of an overcorrection, though :v:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

WIP: Painting the corvettes with the custom paint job found in Rebels

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
That is really cool, nice work. Rebels has some nice paint schemes, such as the A-Wings in Pheonix Squadron.

Someone on reddit made a very pretty:
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsArmada/comments/40jyc9/isd_optics_mod/

edit:

:swoon:

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 14, 2016

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I got to play a proper Wave 2 match against someone today. I had an ISD 2, and 2 GSD 2s, a smattering of upgrades on both and 2x Agressors and 2x Firesprays. I was trying out my potential store championship list.

I played against a squadron heavy list that consisted of MC80 (Independance, Adar, and boosted Coms), Neb B (Yavaris), CR90b, and a whole bunch of named squadrons plus some extra B-Wings. All that was commanded by the rebel commander that lets things survive until the end of the turn.

Long story short, my opponent pushed his squadrons way forward turn 1 to set up for a lot of damage turn 2 that never materialized. My squadrons with rogue got into position and did damage turn 1, then was activated by my ISD turn 2 to greatly reduce the threat from some of the named squadrons and kill Jan. I think my opponent didn't realise that both the Firespray and Agressors had rogue. He also had to commit his ships to close in quickly to keep the squadrons in range for activation. The rebel commander that leaves stuff on the board is really nasty when you get that killing blow on the MC80, only to realise it still gets to fire. It means you can't be reckless with your GSDs to get the kill shots. Luckily my ISD was able to burn just enough tokens to stay in the fight with a couple hull left and my opponent conceded.

While it is a bit much in points, the 2xFirespray and 2xAgressor looks to be enough to tie up or greatly weaken a squadron heavy list. I might play around with the composition of the 4 rogue ships to see if going for more Agressors is better to help out with more squadrons, or if I should keep the Foresprays for damage against squadron less lists. Maybe see if IG88 is a worthwhile upgrade for a minor 5 point upgrade.

Orvin fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 15, 2016

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Dengar is pointless without TIE Advanced. I was coming up with a fleet with 3 bombers, Rhymer, a jumpmaster, 2 advanced and 2 Firesprays myself

Dengar is a good intel source and can free the way for my fire sprays to do some damage.

Remind me do squadrons always engage at close even if they have blue dice?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Stormgale posted:

Dengar is a good intel source and can free the way for my fire sprays to do some damage.

Shutup, Dengar

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Stormgale posted:

Remind me do squadrons always engage at close even if they have blue dice?
Yes, but people will always target Dengar first and even with scatter he can be focused down easily, and then you might as well have just gotten a Jumpmaster instead of wasting points on an ability that doesn't actually see any use in the game. You need to have a way to force your opponent to target something other than Dengar in order for the Counter ability to see some use. I tried to just have Dengar in a list without TIE Advanced and he just went down and my guys were stuck without any Intel to help them.

No, squadrons do not engage at close. They engage at range 1 on the squadron range ruler, which is much shorter than close range on the ship range ruler. You can see this by the three icons printed on the squadron range ruler. This is why Rhymer is so good, btw: he allows you to use close/medium on the ship range ruler, which is twice as much range as before. I think Rhymer has by far the best ability of any elite squadron.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm thinking about trying Ackbar with 3 AF2s(Gunnery Team, Enhanced Armament) and 8 A-wings.

Would this be a workable list?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think it would be pretty workable and the a-wings could potentially deal with any blobs of bombers that threaten you.

Three AF lists did lead to one of the worst games of Armada that a friend of mine ever had, however, while playing a tourney. The usual way to fly them is the conga line, and if you have your conga line facing one way and your opponent is facing the other way, well, there isn't going to be much fighting...

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

New trailer for upcoming Rebels episodes and holy crap

Quasar Fire type carrier ships

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/15/star-wars-rebels-video-lightsaber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'll be damned, I haven't seen one of those babies since Rebellion!