Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Endless Mike posted:

Someone didn't read Siege.

Yea seriously.

I'm trying to remember, who did Magik run off with again? Was it Leah or Serah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Yea seriously.

I'm trying to remember, who did Magik run off with again? Was it Leah or Serah?

Leah.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Of course. I don't think Magik would do well stealing Angela's partner. What was confusing me what they were both in Angela Queen of Hel.

Looking it up I completely forgot she and Loki had a thing. drat I need to read that Journey into Mystery run.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guess what happens next week.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doom gets punched a bunch and it's all a little disappointing after this much of a wait?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

It's a shame the delays killed all the momentum for this. I'll always believe that if they'd managed to keep to their plan and run the event in its entirety from May-Sept and launch all the new #1s in the first week of October, it would be remembered as one of the great events ever (I know, not a high bar to clear). As it is, having 3 of the 9 issues of the main series published after 95% of the event was finished mooted the entire thing, even if the central story has always been great, at least to me.

Also, I think if you take the Avengers/New Avengers arc and Secret Wars main series as one long story, it'll stand up to re-reading as well as any major arc or story that I'm aware of.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It'll be great in trade for newbies going forward.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The end is going to loving own and it will be Reed Richards finally solving everything and he's going to kiss Sue and punch Doom at the same time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The end is going to loving own and it will be Reed Richards finally solving everything and he's going to kiss Sue and punch Doom at the same time.

Or, hear me out here,

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We already know how its going to end

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Quick, post that tweet seven or eight more times in this thread before it's too late!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Please, we all know what the ending is really going to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgdUWXf8jJk

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Please, we all know what the ending is really going to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgdUWXf8jJk

Its not going to be in a snowglobe in a autistic Franklin with his mom and Reed coming home from a long day in construction?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Dunbar posted:

It's a shame the delays killed all the momentum for this. I'll always believe that if they'd managed to keep to their plan and run the event in its entirety from May-Sept and launch all the new #1s in the first week of October, it would be remembered as one of the great events ever (I know, not a high bar to clear). As it is, having 3 of the 9 issues of the main series published after 95% of the event was finished mooted the entire thing, even if the central story has always been great, at least to me.

Also, I think if you take the Avengers/New Avengers arc and Secret Wars main series as one long story, it'll stand up to re-reading as well as any major arc or story that I'm aware of.

At this point I'm pretty over Secret Wars despite really loving it at the start. The delay really killed it for me as well. In hindsight it was a great story but the wait killed it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm just excited for the oversized hardcover. Even if the story was garbage, the art is incredible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You thought the story was garbage?

One of my favorite things about Ribic's art is in amidst this watery, impressionistic art style he throws in cartoonish :stare: eyes on people all the time.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Put in my order for the hardcover this weekend. Easily my favorite event book. You can tell that everyone involved, especially with the tie ins, had a lot of fun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah even with the delays I'm still super hyped for the end.

The :staredog: faces are also the best.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Die Laughing posted:

Put in my order for the hardcover this weekend. Easily my favorite event book. You can tell that everyone involved, especially with the tie ins, had a lot of fun.

Yeah, the worst I can say is Williamson didn't seem to know what he was doing on Red Skull and Bendis put too much time into Old Man Logan and forgot to think of an ending for Ultimates End.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

zoux posted:

You thought the story was garbage?

One of my favorite things about Ribic's art is in amidst this watery, impressionistic art style he throws in cartoonish :stare: eyes on people all the time.

No. Sorry bad choice of words on my part.

I love it. I'm just saying I'd probably keep buying it even if the story was bad.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
The delays are a shame, but Secret Wars has still been a great time. Great event book, even if I vastly prefer Avengers/New Avengers leading into the story. The whole thing has been incredibly satisfying, like reading the comic book version of a great HBO tv show.

I can't wait for Secret Wars #9. All I hope is that Reed gets the ending he deserves, given all he's gone through up until now.

Norns posted:

No. Sorry bad choice of words on my part.

I love it. I'm just saying I'd probably keep buying it even if the story was bad.

I really thought you said you thought it was garbage and was like "WHAT!"

It's my favorite run -> event of Marvel in a very very long time. I can understand people being down on the delays, or the convoluted reading order of A/NA going into Secret Wars, but holy poo poo it's been a crazy ride.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thetrin posted:

All I hope is that Reed gets the ending he deserves, given all he's gone through up until now.

Satisfied?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Satisfied?

Not sure how you get a higher reward than 'is now God'.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Hickman brah you loving nailed it, thanks for a really entertaining ride for the past 7 years or so.

The only thing I'm left wondering is if we're left with an alternate history of the Marvel U from pre-incursion events to now, and how the multiversal elements that currently exist (Hyperion, Dr. Spectrum, Starbrand, etc) came to be if the incursion events never happened.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like to see the Franklin one shot of him reading the Marvel wiki to recreate all the realities. "Wait so it's everyone alive today but their early 17th century versions? Whatever"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I think the title of this thread needs to be changed a bit.
Everything lives

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, okay, I was wrong about the ending. The epilogues would have been better if it was on time, sadly.

But yeah, Hickman nailed that ending. I feel like I gotta go back and reread everything starting with F4.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Secret Wars was pretty great, but I'm going to miss Hickman at Marvel.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That was hands down one of the best single issues of a comic book I've ever read in my life. God bless Jonathan Hickman and Esad Ribic, that was a wild ride.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Molecule Man making sure Miles was looked after because he gave him a hamburger was surprisingly touching.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy loving poo poo, what an ending. Everything about it was perfect. Reed, Doom, Miles, bringing it ALL THE WAY BACK to what was the first incursion moment in Wakanda.

Holy gently caress that was amazing. I can't believe how perfect and how honest Doom's defeat came. That was a loving amazing. "Well, since you both agree.." And that last panel with Doom laughing :unsmith:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Whew, that was the good stuff. Thanks for sticking the landing, JHicks! :cheerdoge:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

that great finale pretty much puts "secret wars" in the same tier as "the infinity gauntlet." What a kick rear end event comic.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Molecule Man making sure Miles was looked after because he gave him a hamburger was surprisingly touching.

Makes me wonder what would've happened if Doom or the Reeds gave him food as well.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The Maker's end had me in stitches. PIZZA.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

The Maker's end had me in stitches. PIZZA.

Yep but we know he survived.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Great ending. I must have stared and those last 2 pages for 10 minutes letting it all soak in. The Maker's betrayal, the fight between god Doom and BP with the IG, Doom admitting he wasn't the better man, such a perfect ending. I wish we'd gotten this before Iron Man shipped because Reed healing Doom and giving him everything back was just so noble and such a nice change of pace from the standard "beat up the bad guy and throw them in jail" kind of thing.

Godspeed Hickman, please come back soon. Preferably to kick Slott off Spider-Man and write that. You wrote the most noble Reed Richards anyone has ever written, and I can't even imagine how good your Spider-Man could be with the same attitude.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Also: GOD MECHA FIGHT!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reed fixing Doom's face is such a good troll on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

redbackground posted:

Also: GOD MECHA FIGHT!!!

The transitions of that fight changing states of being (mechs to spiritual to fighting in the loving sun) was some truly amazing art. The HC once he re-edits SW#7-8 is going to read so loving nice. I'm all in on digital but I'm definitely getting a physical copy of the whole thing.

• Locked thread