Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HBomb
Sep 26, 2004

All aboard.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I feel like these would be funny if I was a vet or something. It doesn't seem terrible so there's probably just a context I don't have for any of this.

You're not missing anything. It's just the Kate Beaton "funny faces instead of jokes" school of comic writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

HBomb posted:

You're not missing anything. It's just the Kate Beaton "funny faces instead of jokes" school of comic writing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HBomb posted:

I think Kate Beaton is funny. :ohdear:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
yeah naw dude, Kate Beaton knows how to tell jokes and make weird things in history funny. She definitely whiffs it now and again, but my face didn't even twitch for a single one of those vet jokes.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

yeah naw dude, Kate Beaton knows how to tell jokes and make weird things in history funny. She definitely whiffs it now and again, but my face didn't even twitch for a single one of those vet jokes.

The joke of the vet comics is "what if vets were as serious about their patients as tv drama doctors" and "I'm a big baby who constantly thinks my snake is dying and I annoy my vet."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The joke, as I understood it, is "this snake isn't in any real danger and you are bothering us while we are taking care of animals that actually need our help/are part of a medical melodramma."

e:beaten

whiteyfats posted:

I think Kate Beaton is funny. :ohdear:

Me too.

paradoxGentleman has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Jan 12, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I do too.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can somebody post the one with "Americans being jerks again!" headline? I love that comic.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

whiteyfats posted:

Can somebody post the one with "Americans being jerks again!" headline? I love that comic.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.
"The Canadians heard us making fun of them, and got all hosed up on hockey" is a beautiful, beautiful phrase.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Useless posted:

"The Canadians heard us making fun of them, and got all hosed up on hockey" is a beautiful, beautiful phrase.

That's actually one of the comics I tend to send people when I want to explain why Kate Beaton is a hilarious, unique gem in comics world.

That and this one. Her Musashi comic is easily my favorite comic ever. It's just so perfect.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=40

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Useless posted:

Isn't it just.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
This one's my favorite. I like how emphatic Kate is while she's stabbing that guy, and how upset he looks about it.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Useless posted:

It's a great sentence in every way.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Nitrox posted:

That was pretty good. Here is a new one

Try to get three Penny Arcade comics in a row that do not feature someone cocking their eyebrows.

It's fuckin hard, man.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

plainswalker75 posted:

These are actually pretty good and far too many of them hit way too close to home.

Edit:

He's drawn over 1400 of those strips. :psyduck:

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Soul Reaver posted:

tl;dr HURR DURR I WROTE TOO MANY WORDS ABOUT VGCATS OF ALL THINGS

hahaha, look at you go.

I love achewood as much as I hate this thread, please commence to convincing me it's not funny

Radio Help has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Jan 13, 2016

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He's drawn over 1400 of those strips. :psyduck:

It's just a template and a font with user submissions slapped in

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Radio Help posted:

I love achewood as much as I hate this thread, please commence to convincing me it's not funny

It took me 10 years but I'm pretty sure it's funny now.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Radio Help posted:

It's great but it has that pseudo - genius quality where you really have to groove on the author's wavelength and if you can't it mutates before your eyes into garbage nonsense for weird people with too much time. I got the same way about Alan Moore.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

mind the walrus posted:

It's great but it has that pseudo - genius quality where you really have to groove on the author's wavelength and if you can't it mutates before your eyes into garbage nonsense for weird people with too much time. I got the same way about Alan Moore.

Yeah, for a long time I would read these threads and not "get" Achewood, then one day somebody posted the one about how murder is like basketball and something in my brain broke. Now I love Achewood - even the ones I used to not "get." I have no idea how to explain why I love it; I think you just have to keep reading it involuntarily until you get Stockholm Syndrome about it (this is a glowing recommendation, I promise)

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Radio Help posted:

It's been said before but I;m still 50% sure Achewood fans were trolls that were ironically posting a terrible comic as a joke. "No it's actually really good, you just have to read a whole lot of it!" they say, trying not to giggle, as I squint at the tiny words crowding each speech bubble. "Ignore the bad jokes and try to hear each character's individual voice."

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's been said before but I;m still 50% sure Achewood fans were trolls that were ironically posting a terrible comic as a joke. "No it's actually really good, you just have to read a whole lot of it!" they say, trying not to giggle, as I squint at the tiny words crowding each speech bubble. "Ignore the bad jokes and try to hear each character's individual voice."

Let me be the other 50% and assure you that yes, Achewood is bad and dumb.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'll be the other other 50% and assure everyone that Achewood owns and if you don't like it you're worse than hitler nobody really cares and in this thread you're just asking for another 10 pages of achewood comics and achewood chat

edit: actually at this point that's a secret to no one; I'm beginning to suspect you guys are the closeted-antigay-Republican-senator-getting-a-brojob of webcomic fans.

"oh no, please, don't post achewood, it's soooo unfunny" *winks, bites lip*

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Jan 13, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I still read them when they get posted, but can never get into them. Different tastes, I guess.

Radio Help posted:

A healthy thing to do would be to stop reading this thread if you hate it so much

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Here is a fun idea:

If you dislike a comic then post a funny comic in response. That way people can complain about your funny comic and in turn must post a funny comic of their own. So we get both more complaining and more funny comics, the two things this thread loves most!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Achewoods really good guys

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I really like nedroid

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Nitrox posted:

A healthy thing to do would be to stop reading this thread if you hate it so much
I think it's safe to say that everyone who's still reading this thread loves the punishment. We all know the drill by this point.

I don't get the last panel, where did all the other clowns come from between panels 3 and 4?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

I think it's safe to say that everyone who's still reading this thread loves the punishment. We all know the drill by this point.

I don't get the last panel, where did all the other clowns come from between panels 3 and 4?

It's a Clown Car.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

The ambulances are bringing them in? As a sacrifice ?

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

This is a beautiful metaphor for the thread, thank you

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
uh the article pretty clearly says a clown car is a prop for a circus routine; this clown is off-duty and drinking/driving in his real car

W424 posted:

The ambulances are bringing them in? As a sacrifice ?
this makes more sense thanks. but it just raises more questions!

NotAnArtist posted:

This is a beautiful metaphor for the thread, thank you

:D

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

uh the article pretty clearly says a clown car is a prop for a circus routine; this clown is off-duty and drinking/driving in his real car

Let's call it a self-propelled clown generator that is fuelled by the force of the impact with the tree, then.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kopijeger posted:

Let's call it a self-propelled clown generator that is fuelled by the force of the impact with the tree, then.

not gonna lie this made me laugh harder than a lot of the comics in this thread

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

Not even the weirdest SS13 story I've read

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Here is a fun idea:

If you dislike a comic then post a funny comic in response. That way people can complain about your funny comic and in turn must post a funny comic of their own. So we get both more complaining and more funny comics, the two things this thread loves most!
Agreed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Heh! Oh my god!

• Locked thread