Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

TeeMerk posted:

I think the main vibe is that when all the meat does a lot of effort to win the game and they all die gloriously in the field of splat and then they see one goon with pristine armor at the end of they game they get upset and wonder why.

On the rare occasion I'm the last one alive on the team I usually disappoint everyone by overheating and dying hilariously. Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Bought two blackjacks

Thinking of buying two more firestarters to complete the set

Which of the other on sale mechs are probably worth it (I guess the shadowcat?)

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=296&l=b11add3a5541b54659ac6df1d72e09ed571dc5d9

This version looks fun!

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Melchior posted:

On the rare occasion I'm the last one alive on the team I usually disappoint everyone by overheating and dying hilariously. Welp.

I just do this all the time so it's not disappointing. Lowered expectations and whatnot.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

The arctic cheetah is dumbbb

Do I even need two more firestarters to complete the set when I already have all the cheaters

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ZenVulgarity posted:

Do I even need two more firestarters to complete the set when I already have all the cheaters

Firestarter is p. good but the Cheetah is crazy good at essentially the same thing

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
lol @ theory crafting poo poo talk from a bad who always gives poo poo strategic advice.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

Firestarter is p. good but the Cheetah is crazy good at essentially the same thing

I think the only reason why I might want to pick up another firestarter is for when the ember maybe goes on sale again for half off

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I've learned a few things about LRMs-

Only use specifically LRM quirked mechs with them. Reduced cooldowns, spread, and heat make them on par with brawlier weapons when you bring them into a fight. If I can maintain the 180m distance then I am able to poo poo on people with the awesome-8R.

Take a tag on the highest point on your mech, because LRMs are an indirect fire weapon. With all of my low firing points beneath a ledge on the awesome I can shoot the tag over a slight ridge and expose myself even less than my hill humping blackjacks would while doing the same thing. Tags also allow you to get mechs covered in ECM bubbles and will allow your less responsible "HOLD LOCKS 4 RAIN" LRM pugs to join you on the choice targets you're picking. They see that hashtag on the enemy mech and they poo poo on it. If you have a streak SRM buddy who is actively fighting, don't be afraid to tag enemies for him so that he can get a quicker shot off.

Firing from beyond 400m is retarded unless the enemy mech is slow, tall, and/or in the open. The missile spread at those distances is also huge, and will ultimately reduce the useful damage that you do to the enemy. At 400m and with clear line of sight you will sandpaper them to death. If you can maintain 200m with clear line of sight you will crush through people's cores and if you have enough missiles launching they will be unable to fight back due to fire/screen shake.

Either go all in with LRMs or don't take them at all, but DO have some backup weapons available. Even if it's just a pair of small lasers, you need something to at least keep a small psychological edge on lights that are attacking you, but otherwise drop other weapon tonnage for artemis + ammo + launchers appropriate to your chassis. Your stinger weapons are the difference between a light doing a full stop and standing there shooting you, versus them continuing to go 150kph, missing half their shots, and running into a wall where they have no line of sight on you while you run away making GBS threads your pants.

If your team decides to fight in a city, don't be afraid to run in with them. Even if you can't land good hits you CAN scare people into cover by spitting a single launch of missiles at them to force them into cover. Herding people with LRMs is definitely a thing, just scrape their paint with a few missiles. If they realize that they are in good cover then they will stop hiding and fight from that cover, so don't continue to shoot missiles into buildings.

If your team is in a ramming range brawl, shooting into it CAN kill your teammates. When I first started using LRMs I netted at least one team kill per match. :v: Be careful where you're shooting, and tell your teammates if you're shooting a target they're brawling with so that your don't scoop out their butt meat from 500m.

Be as fast as you can be. Positioning is stupidly important for LRM boats offensively and defensively, as is the ability to stay with your group. Take a max sized XL engine. You are a free kill for any harassing lights or mediums if you are left alone.

I've been getting pretty regular 600+ damage games by being really aggressive and mostly following the above stuff. If you aren't ending games with an open core, 0 ammunition, and at least 500 damage then you're doing your team a disservice as an LRM boat. If you're the last man standing then you played wrong, because you should be sacrificing yourself to keep your brawlers and other fighters alive if it comes down to the wire like that.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 13, 2016

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

ZenVulgarity posted:

Arctic Cheetah is good but too forgiving. Playing Firestarters will help you maximize your Cheating potential by teaching you not to do all the stupid/silly things that a Cheetah technically can but shouldn't do.

Re: the last page of argument, there are various approaches. Forcing a brawl and getting everyone into the deathblob is of course the most optimal, but it isn't always the most fun. I can only speak for myself, but generally I play games to have fun and while winning is a big part of that, it isn't the entire equation. I would recommend that everyone plays however suits you as long as you're having fun. Bad mechs with cool paintjobs? Cool. Good TERRIBLE mechs with bad paintjobs? Even better. If a group wants to crucify you for engaging outside of 300 meters, you're more than welcome to ask GIRLs to split off and group with you. If you're running a bad build, we will call you a bad but still encourage you to have a good time. We will also 9/10 times steamroll the WoL groups we randomly drop against like we did the last two nights. :smuggo:

Skoll posted:

lol @ theory crafting poo poo talk from a bad who always gives poo poo strategic advice.
Being a condescending jerk to anyone who doesn't do the super-meta-optimal thing is best left to the tryhards in guilds like EmP and Lord; I would suggest you apply to them if I thought you could pass their entry requirements. Talking smack to someone who snipes with a Shadow Cat, as someone who was caught bare-arsed with a LRM Catapult, is hypocritical. Save your anger issues for someone who is paid and qualified to deal with them, please.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 13, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

pay me in mc

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Aren't you the fucknut who rage quit cause you kept asking for a group invite WITHOUT telling us your ingame name expecting me to magically know it after I asked you four times and you just said "INVITE PLEASE" about six times?

Yeah, that was you so you can kindly gently caress off, sir.

As for "being caught bare rear end in a LRM Catapult", how is it caught bare rear end when I've told every group I've been in for the past three days what I'm running and why? There's hardly a scandal there you loving retard.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
why y'all gotta get so mad about robots

it is not a good look my dudes

bring whatever dumb bad robot you want, we'll still make it work against everyone short of the folks who do robots as a second job

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

:laffo:

Stop arguing about this bad game.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Skoll posted:

Aren't you the fucknut who rage quit cause you kept asking for a group invite WITHOUT telling us your ingame name expecting me to magically know it after I asked you four times and you just said "INVITE PLEASE" about six times?

Yeah, that was you so you can kindly gently caress off, sir.

As for "being caught bare rear end in a LRM Catapult", how is it caught bare rear end when I've told every group I've been in for the past three days what I'm running and why? There's hardly a scandal there you loving retard.

For one, I told you my in-game name three times, sent you two messages, and waited nearly five minutes. Secondly, everyone knows izov snipes with SCats. It's no secret. If you can't understand your own hypocrisy, whatever. I'm a bad. You're also a bad. The only difference is I don't rage and bully against anyone who stands out a little more than I do for their gameplay choices.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

why y'all gotta get so mad about robots

it is not a good look my dudes

bring whatever dumb bad robot you want, we'll still make it work against everyone short of the folks who do robots as a second job

:agreed:

No one gives me poo poo for my six MG Arrow!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Oh you need to elite three god drat mechs to be able to sell them?

loving ballsacks

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vorenus posted:

For one, I told you my in-game name three times, sent you two messages, and waited nearly five minutes. Secondly, everyone knows izov snipes with SCats. It's no secret. If you can't understand your own hypocrisy, whatever. I'm a bad. You're also a bad. The only difference is I don't rage and bully against anyone who stands out a little more than I do for their gameplay choices.

You didn't say poo poo and the entire group can verify that. Secondly, the issue isn't so much izov's tactics as it is his general shitlorderly being an insufferable loving prick. Sorry we're not kid gloving him so we don't hurt his feelings but maybe he should try being a loving adult and not act like a petulant little poo poo once in awhile?

Also lol @ calling me a bully. I can't force you to play a certain way. Opinions are like assholes and everyone has them. You guys are more than welcome to point out my flaws, they're nothing I don't already acknowledge in mumble. The difference between us is I take it with a grain of salt.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

ZenVulgarity posted:

Oh you need to elite three god drat mechs to be able to sell them?

loving ballsacks

No? I've sold several mechs without eliting, some without even the basics unless it's a recent change. Also always make sure you strip all equipment before selling.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
the butthurt over stompy robots is strong in this thread

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Vorenus posted:

No? I've sold several mechs without eliting, some without even the basics unless it's a recent change. Also always make sure you strip all equipment before selling.

Oh i guess it doesn't matter unless I want another module slot?

Which i guess might matter eventually

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

so Russ is asking about what people would want to see in a new four-mech Clan pack, and this one seems to be winning for lights:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Piranha

may I direct your attention to its twelve (12) machine guns

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

so Russ is asking about what people would want to see in a new four-mech Clan pack, and this one seems to be winning for lights:

That would own, especially if they buffed MGs.

I'd like to see the Komodo put in game. Anti-Elemental medium with enough laser hardpoints to rival a Nova and ECM to boot.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

ZenVulgarity posted:

Oh i guess it doesn't matter unless I want another module slot?

Which i guess might matter eventually

Yeah if you want the extra module slot for a Mech you'll need to elite three of it's chassis. IIRC you'll need to have all three mechs in your inventory when you unlock the master slot as well. After that you can sell off the others, but that's usually not necessary unless you really want the mechbays. .

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

GIVE IT

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
The guys at Giantbomb did one of their Quick Look video things on MWO: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-mechwarrior-online/2300-10939/

tl;dw:
  • sound design 10/10
  • art direction 10/10
  • the cost of colors and patterns are bullshit
  • the grind is really loving bad for what you get in return
  • everything in the store is really overpriced in terms of MC
  • The intricacies of experimenting in the Mech Lab makes the game feel like it has a lot of depth and is a fun mini-game outside of shooting robots.
  • Overall the game is fun because the bullshit stuff doesn't detract from the experience

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 13, 2016

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
If you absolutely want to master a robot class before selling it, then yes, you will need to elite three variants. Otherwise, if you don't care about that, just sell them.

Also shut up and shoot robots however you want. Win or lose doesn't matter as long as you had fun.

e: slow phone posting sucks. I would unironically get a piranha. I have an itch and only MGs can fix it. :getin:

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 13, 2016

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Pattonesque posted:

The first thing I thought was how you'd redesign this thing visually while still keep it recognisable and not retarded.

Also does the pilot simply sit behind the teeth? It looks like there's no glass. :downs;

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'm considering getting back into this after hearing that it's finally good again, are any of my CHIVERS™ boys still playing

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Mindblast posted:

The first thing I thought was how you'd redesign this thing visually while still keep it recognisable and not retarded.

Also does the pilot simply sit behind the teeth? It looks like there's no glass. :downs;

I don't think the design matters as it will be constantly hidden behind the fire of 12 machine guns

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

lmao, watching Skoll have a tantrum on everyone is the best part of this thread

What's a good heavy to pick up? I want to run around and blast people, maybe butts

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Commoners posted:

Take a tag on the highest point on your mech, because LRMs are an indirect fire weapon. With all of my low firing points beneath a ledge on the awesome I can shoot the tag over a slight ridge and expose myself even less than my hill humping blackjacks would while doing the same thing.

This is really the most important thing and the saving grace that lets a few specific mechs go from bad gimmick missile diversions to okay fighters. It's like getting to pack all your guns in the head mount, and you can do some neat stuff on maps like canyon network.

Sard fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 13, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I just had a match with some kid (sounded about 13 over the voice chat) in an executioner who was backed around a corner and staring in the exact opposite direction from the enemy on V Bog. I think he was planning to ambush someone.

His assault sits there doing gently caress all for 75% of the match. I finally tell him to do something useful and he starts raging about how "your failure to plan does not constitute a crisis for me." Eventually the group herds a single half-dead Dire Wolf around his little hideyhole and he cores it, then crows triumphantly about it.

The best part was him raging about "Oh yeah, I'm TIER ONE!" when people started calling him an idiot.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drythe posted:

What's a good heavy to pick up? I want to run around and blast people, maybe butts

Run a Catapult with 6x LRM 5s.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Sounds like a plan

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Thunderbolts are still entertaining if you like lasers.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Drythe posted:

IS or clan?

If IS - Thunderbolt with lasers are meta good. Dragon variant with AC/5 godhand quirks are fun to drive even if that hand falls off as soon as people know your gimmick.

For Clan - people seem to like the Timberwolf and I suppose it isn't bad. Hellbringer is alright and comes with ECM. Ebon Jaguars are like lighter Timber Wolves.

I don't play heavies much, though, since the queue is pretty saturated with them.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mashed_penguin posted:

Thunderbolts are still entertaining if you like lasers.

The issue with T-Bolts is that their hitboxes are loving huge. It always feels like they have paper thin armor.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Skoll posted:

The issue with T-Bolts is that their hitboxes are loving huge. It always feels like they have paper thin armor.

this was a big reason why you never saw them pre-quirks

post-quirks they're capable of spreading damage reasonably well. The -9SE in particular can make its entire right side a shield

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Don't you talk poo poo about the six MG arrow. That thing tears poo poo up and is an objectively good brawler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Pattonesque posted:

I don't think the design matters as it will be constantly hidden behind the fire of 12 machine guns

It wouldn't fire them when I spin it around in the mechlab. :colbert:

• Locked thread