Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It felt like the Labour bench was about to get up and kick Cameron to death on PMQ’s today. At least they can come together for something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I59VrgkRgNw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

John McTernan on Thatcher.

He's one of the ones that complains loudly about the phrase "Red Tory" as well.

It's the "Red" part he objects to, isn't it?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Anything that drives the "taxpayers have more of a right to public services" angle can gently caress off regardless of what message they're going for.

If you're going to argue that a public service should be or shouldn't be doing something on the basis that they're public servants that's one thing, but to draw a line between deserving and undeserving members of the public is another.

It's the loving mail though isn't it? Fascists gonna fash.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Had a viewing yesterday that wanted to charge £800 quid in referencing fees for a 4 bed house. As far as I can tell this isn't even that far off average. Bloody scalpers .

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/13/revealed-how-jeremy-corbyn-has-reshaped-the-labour-party

quote:

The survey findings are borne out by Labour’s national figures, released to the Guardian in a break with party tradition of keeping them secret. Membership has jumped from 201,293 on 6 May last year, the day before the general election, to 388,407 on 10 January.

Party membership figures are a controversial issue, with former cabinet minister Peter Mandelson, who is opposed to Corbyn, telling a Labour meeting in the Lords last month that “30,000 long-term members have left the party, real members, tens of thousands”.

But the newly released figures undercut his claim, showing a total of 13,860 have left since the general election, some of them having resigned while others have gone as part of the natural churn. The increase in membership is continuing, with just under a 1,000 having joined since Christmas Eve.

So Mandelson just used a random number when talking about people who have left the party as a result of Corbyn winning

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Had a viewing yesterday that wanted to charge £800 quid in referencing fees for a 4 bed house. As far as I can tell this isn't even that far off average. Bloody scalpers .

What annoys me the most about referencing fees (apart from the fact they exist at all - I think they're illegal in Scotland now, aren't they?) is that they generally scale with rent. As though it somehow costs more to check references for someone paying higher rent. Plus for my most recent place they charged me £400 fees and then the referencing company called me up asking me to contact my previous landlords myself and have them email the firm. If I have to collect the references myself, what the gently caress am I even paying for?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Jose posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/13/revealed-how-jeremy-corbyn-has-reshaped-the-labour-party

So Mandelson just used a random number when talking about people who have left the party as a result of Corbyn winning

Who would have thought that Peter 'what loan, guv?' Mandelson would be misleading with figures?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

He was right up until the point where he blamed Corbyn. Like at any point these dipshits could stop being dysfunctional children. At any point. It's their choice, they have full agency.

Tbf, the point is more that most lords are blairite shits (being appointed mostly by blair), so when Corbyn actually wants to oppose the Tories, the Labour Lords don't follow his lead and want to spite him. It's a reasonable point I believe to say Corbyn should get the lords more active in opposing the Tories, and the tone didn't seem to be directly blaming Corbyn.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

What annoys me the most about referencing fees (apart from the fact they exist at all - I think they're illegal in Scotland now, aren't they?) is that they generally scale with rent. As though it somehow costs more to check references for someone paying higher rent. Plus for my most recent place they charged me £400 fees and then the referencing company called me up asking me to contact my previous landlords myself and have them email the firm. If I have to collect the references myself, what the gently caress am I even paying for?

I had one letting agency actually charge me to give a reference to my new letting agency, that was pretty cheeky I thought. And this wasn't even London, they're based in Stockport.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

(apart from the fact they exist at all - I think they're illegal in Scotland now, aren't they?)

Yeah since the 80s

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

If I have to collect the references myself, what the gently caress am I even paying for?
The lettings agent's beemer.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I got a reply from the BBC about my complaint!

quote:

Dear Mr  Pork Pie Hat,

Thank you for contacting us about the resignation of Stephen Doughty MP from the front bench of the Labour Party on BBC Two’s ‘Daily Politics’, and a subsequent blog written about the matter on the BBC Academy website.

As you may be aware, the BBC’s editor of Live Political Programmes, Robbie Gibb, has responded to the Labour Party about this matter. We believe Mr Gibb’s response below addresses the number of issues being raised. That said, we have received a wide range of feedback about this subject and are sorry in advance if this reply doesn’t address your specific concerns. Robbie Gibb’s email response to Seumas Milne, Director of Strategy and Communications at the Labour Party, was as follows: 

“Dear Mr Milne

Many thanks for your email of the 8th January following the Daily Politics on the 6th January.

I would like to reassure you that we are committed to producing impartial journalism and programme content that treats all political parties fairly. I would like to respond to the specific concerns raised in your email.

Firstly, I reject your suggestion that we orchestrated and stage-managed the resignation of Stephen Doughty. As he himself confirmed on Friday, Mr Doughty had decided to resign his front-bench position on Wednesday morning, before speaking to any journalists. He subsequently spoke to Laura Kuenssberg who asked if he would explain his reasons in an interview on the Daily Politics later that morning. Neither the programme production team, nor Laura, played any part in his decision to resign.

As you know it is a long standing tradition that political programmes on the BBC, along with all other news outlets, seek to break stories. It is true that we seek to make maximum impact with our journalism which is entirely consistent with the BBC's Editorial Guidelines and values.

Your letter suggests that our decision to interview Mr Doughty in the run up to Prime Minister's Questions was designed to "promote a particular political narrative". This is simply not the case. The Daily Politics does not come on air until 11:30am on Wednesdays and the BBC's Political Editor always appears live on the programme in the build up to the start of PMQs. As the confirmation of Mr Doughty’s resignation was Laura Kuenssberg's story, we felt it appropriate for her to introduce the item. Again I do not accept, in anyway, the programme has breached its duty of impartiality and independence.

The programme this week provided a balanced account of the shadow cabinet reshuffle. Lisa Nandy was interviewed at length on Wednesday while Cat Smith discussed the issue in detail the day before.

You also made reference in your email to the deleted blog. It might be helpful for me to explain the background to this. Following the media reaction to Mr Doughty's resignation and appearance on the programme the BBC's training department, the BBC Academy, contacted me asking for an article explaining what goes on behind the scenes when a politician resigns live on air. I had assumed (wrongly) that the article was for internal purposes only. When it became apparent that it had been published more widely, we decided to delete it as the piece was written in a tone that was only suitable for an internal audience. No other inference should be drawn from our decision to delete the blog.

I would just like to finish by underlining our commitment to ensuring our coverage of the Labour Party is fair, accurate and impartial.

I hope we can look forward to working constructively together over the coming months.”

We hope this addresses your concerns, thanks again for taking the time to contact us. 

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints

In which they just cut and paste their laughable reply to the Labour party and say they're sorry they don't bother addressing any of my specific points.

What a shower of shitwizards.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's nice that they sent you a reply I doubt they have the manpower to provide a personalised response to every complainant.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Funnily enough it mentions in the article that the man shouting at the strikers is unemployed.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

is the issue with london real estate a demand or supply issue?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Er, that seems like a totally meaningless distinction to me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I am pretty glad referencing fees are illegal here. What an appalling idea. Honestly, everything to do with housing in this country is so hosed.

shrike82 posted:

Yes, it is.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

shrike82 posted:

Both.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
"There exist empty houses on the market, therefore there is obviously no supply problem" is one I hear quite a bit, and I'm never fully certain how to refute it. Best I've got is that most of those either aren't up to code or are in the wrong place.

thespaceinvader posted:

gently caress's sake Norn Iron, get with the times. Do they still ban gay marriage?

Fakedit they tried to legalise it but no it was vetoed.

A recent string of articles about changing attitudes (both social and scientific) to sex and gender leads me to believe that gay marriage will accidentally be legalised almost everywhere in my lifetime as a result of everyone's sex being made privileged information.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I got a reply from the BBC about my complaint!

In which they just cut and paste their laughable reply to the Labour party and say they're sorry they don't bother addressing any of my specific points.

What a shower of shitwizards.

Exactly the same response everyone else got.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Has anyone been following Theresa May's appearance at the joint committee going over the snoopers bill?
I can't seem to access any live blogs at the moment.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Renaissance Robot posted:

"There exist empty houses on the market, therefore there is obviously no supply problem" is one I hear quite a bit, and I'm never fully certain how to refute it. Best I've got is that most of those either aren't up to code or are in the wrong place.
http://england.shelter.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/346796/Shelter_Policy_Briefing_-_Taking_Stock.pdf
Under-utilised stock cannot meet housing need on its own. In most cases it would be both impractical and undesirable to redistribute stock, and only draconian policies that would negatively impact existing occupiers could achieve this.

Across England, there are only around 280k private homes that are empty for more than six months, and around 70k social homes. Many of these are in a state of significant disrepair, located in areas with comparatively little housing demand, or subject to ongoing legal disputes. On top of that, even if they could all be made available for occupation immediately, we need around 250k new homes each year to keep up with demand; the available stock of empty homes is only a drop in the bucket.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Fans posted:

It felt like the Labour bench was about to get up and kick Cameron to death on PMQ’s today. At least they can come together for something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I59VrgkRgNw

It was pleasing to see Cameron getting barracked heavily and on the back foot at frequent times for once, but I'm still disappointed that it was happening at all.

Because otherwise it would have been painfully obvious how little Cameron was actually answering.

Also, lol at the moment where he said he owns his own home.

Homes, Dave. Plural.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Playing catch up from pages back, but

Oberleutnant posted:

"CATCH UP YOU SCROUNGING oval office".

Is one of most :britain: things I've seen in ages.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Theresa May is coming up with some disingenuous bullshit at the committee hearing on the draft IP Bill:

quote:

Q: What are your plans for encryption?

May says some of the commentary on this has not been accurate. Encryption is important, she says. She says the government is not proposing to make any changes in relation to encryption, and the legal position around it.

But where the authorities lawfully serve a warrant on a CSP, and that has gone through the proper steps, the company should take reasonable steps to be able to comply.

That is the position today, she says. She says the bill just clarifies that.

Q: But what if someone is using end-to-end encryption?

May says companies would be expected to take “reasonable steps” to provide the information required.

Q: So you are not asking companies to provide “keys” to information, or a backdoor in.

No, says May. It is just about ensuring that, if companies are required to supply information, they supply it. The government would not need to have the “key” itself

You see, the Government thinks encryption is important, and they don't want a key or backdoor into encrypted communications; they want that responsibility to lie with tech companies.

They still want to weaken encryption, they just want to be able to point the finger at tech companies if it happens. "It was Facebook that read your encrypted WhatsApp chat, not us!" they'll say.

This will also be handy when they need to blame something other than their psychotic foreign policies for the next terrorist attack; "well we would have been able to stop it, but unaccountable technology companies refused to weaken encryption that only nonces and terrorists use."

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Also, lol at the moment where he said he owns his own home.

Homes, Dave. Plural.

This of course being the same dickhead who was all sad that his surviving kids may never own their own homes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

shrike82 posted:

I don't think capitalist theory allows for a problem of too much demand - demand is a great thing under that system, because it allows for more profits to be made by meeting it. Indeed capitalism is fundamentally predicated (at least in theory) on the idea of finding where demand exceeds supply and making up the shortfall.

That is why critiques have to come from different angles, such as the leftist one that this highlights how and why infinite growth is unsustainable and/or inapplicable at least some of the time, or that it can cause active harm (such as during acute shortages which are not in fact being met by increased supply for one reason or another), or the environmental one that says the considerations are different and relate to environmental issues, not economic ones, to give two examples.

Those are both valid points, but on top of that not every house is suitable for every prospective tenant or buyer. You wouldn't stick an old retired nan in a big four bedroom thing, it's daft.

That said it's true that there is no real supply problem because the solution is very simple; seize all unused properties and house people in them. Also hang all the landlords.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pork Pie Hat posted:

This of course being the same dickhead who was all sad that his surviving kids may never own their own homes.

That's because he plans to outlive them all.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Extreme0 posted:

They get with the times if it weren't for the old white men.

This is unfair, Arlene Foster is a white woman and said if abortion was legal in cases of rape, women would cry rape and innocent men would be arrested, she's now First Minister.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

He was right up until the point where he blamed Corbyn. Like at any point these dipshits could stop being dysfunctional children. At any point. It's their choice, they have full agency.

While I don't doubt that the Labour Lords are not exactly a bastion of support for Corbyn, Farron's clearly just stirring in a clumsy pitch to Labour voters. There's also the elephant he declines to mention: the Tories' plans to reduce the power of the House of Lords. The Labour lords have to be very careful, not appearing to be "interfering in the democratic process" or whatever euphemistic fig leaf the Government spin machine has been, is, and will spit out (despite the irony that a proposal to extend the franchise could even be spun that way). It's a difficult position, and possibly ultimately irrelevant if the Government can force through their plans, but it's a matter of picking public battles, and I don't think votes for 16 and 17 year olds would be an especially resonant or rousing last stand.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

"How would you like to move to an otherwise empty former mining town in the middle of Yorkshire where there are no schools, no jobs, no transport links, and probably not even mains water? No? Neither would they."

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

In case anyone missed it, the source behind the latest Telegraph hit piece on Corbyn was 'a former shadow cabinet minister'.

Corbyn sacked the right people.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Speaking of no water.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/a6808386.html

quote:

A report from Parliament’s Public Accounts Committee has accused Ofwat, the water regulator, of “consistently overestimating” water companies’ financing and tax costs when setting price limits. As a result, water companies made gains of at least £1.2bn over the past five years from bills being significantly higher than necessary.

Among those worst hit have been the poorest customers, with average water bills now representing 5.3 per cent of their annual income compared with 2.3 per cent before the recession. The findings will deepen the anger over the money-making powers of Britain’s privatised utilities.

I've seem spectacular bellends arguing "Company making profits isn't a problem" like people have any choice whatsoever when it comes to who they buy water from, or as if Water was some special luxury you don't really need.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Fans posted:

Speaking of no water.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/a6808386.html

I've seem spectacular bellends arguing "Company making profits isn't a problem" like people have any choice whatsoever when it comes to who they buy water from, or as if Water was some special luxury you don't really need.

There was a brief period, I believe, where you had masses of competitive water supply infrastructure tangled all over the place and armies of men were employed to physically go and change the plumbing from one company's source to another when you swapped supplier. Possibly similar for leccy and gas. I may have imagined all of this!

Halcyon days indeed.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
You can change supplier for electric and gas, but not for water.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/cut-water-bills

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm talking about in the 19th century btw

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fans posted:

That's because he plans to outlive them all.

He's already got the NHS for one. What does he plan to get to kill in trade for the others?

Renfield posted:

You can change supplier for electric and gas, but not for water.

I'm in the middle of setting up a supplier change for water at work.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Oberleutnant posted:

I'm talking about in the 19th century btw

so only for the rich then

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Jedit posted:

I'm in the middle of setting up a supplier change for water at work.

Domestic users can't, and non-domestic users can if they use more than 5 million liters a year, otherwise you're stuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Jose posted:

so only for the rich then

Well I think the suppliers employed the people to do it so in theory for anybody who could afford utilities could have their choice of supplier. I don't know much about the historical availability of utilities, but in my experience the vastly wealthy in the 19th century had their own private generators and fresh water supplies.

• Locked thread