Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Coredump posted:

Next time tell him it backs up data at a x gigs/hour rate, with x being how much data he has. You don't tell him how much data he has by the way. You just give him the rate and leave it at that. You're not giving him an exact time, but you are telling him how long it will take.

This old fucker would then exit that meeting and create a helpdesk ticket to find out how much data he has. 100% serious.

If we are going to make the situation uncomfortable either way I would prefer to not be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

devmd01 posted:

Has anyone done any digital signage implementations for corporate communications? We're looking to get rid of our lovely video extender system and just run an android stick pc behind each tv, running an app connecting to a cloud solution. Way less maintenance and far easier for HR/marketing/etc to update with a web UI.

Problem is, there's a million loving apps/saas providers out there, and they pretty much all look/act the same. I've been demoing a few today just to play around with them, and it's all starting to blur together. If you deal with a system like that, what do you use and what do you like/dislike about it?

Currently liking RevelDigital but it's a bit overkill; MangoSigns design/management gui is easy but it doesn't have a lot of content options/dynamic sourcing. They're all the same really and that's what's pissing me off.

https://www.google.co.uk/work/chrome/devices/for-signage/. The lovely companies that think they can ask for $400+ per display in licensing costs can get hosed. Signage is all about the content - if you have nothing to say and you design everything in paint then it doesn't matter how expensive the software was, it's going to look dogshit.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 12, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

This would be awesome for my situation, but randomly people want to play videos, or powerpoint presentations. Or whatever else they think of.

We ended up shoving NUCs behind our signage monitors and giving key users remote access to control what is displayed.

Edit: We ended up with a BrightSign device that is now collecting dust after it was purchased by a department, and didn't meet their needs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That sounds more like a meeting room display than a digital sign to be honest

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thanks Ants posted:

That sounds more like a meeting room display than a digital sign to be honest

They are digital signs, but these people will want random stuff all the time. They are at entrances to buildings. Initial use case was to display an updated calendar of meetings. Then powerpoint came into play to "jazz" things up. Then for certain events, they wanted video.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

MF_James posted:

poo poo pissing me off, work today, everything is awful today, my rear end is pretty literally on fire.

Pics or it didn't happen.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Thanks Ants posted:

https://www.google.co.uk/work/chrome/devices/for-signage/. The lovely companies that think they can ask for $400+ per display in licensing costs can get hosed. Signage is all about the content - if you have nothing to say and you design everything in paint then it doesn't matter how expensive the software was, it's going to look dogshit.

Yep, that's pretty much what i'm looking at. Buy $75 android box, and pay a SaaS provider to provide the management GUI and system for the content managers, so we (IT) don't have to support loving PCs attached to TVs.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Sickening posted:

This old fucker would then exit that meeting and create a helpdesk ticket to find out how much data he has. 100% serious.

If we are going to make the situation uncomfortable either way I would prefer to not be wrong.

"We will need your laptop for an unspecified length of time to determine how much data you have".

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Skandranon posted:

"We will need your laptop for an unspecified length of time to determine how much data you have".

"Tell me how long you need it for!"
"Fine, we need it for exactly 71 hours, 33 minutes, your laptop will be available on Friday afternoon for you to collect. Does that overly exact time work for you?"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
We had a network outage that affected many systems. It was at a provider out of state due to telco issues. Nobody on our side had anything to do with fixing it.

My site manager comes in, starts snapping at people, and chases off an informatics person telling her about the outage (just short of saying "gently caress off", but only just) , and basically panics. Turns out our super serious apocalyptic downtime had senior people laughing and joking on the bridge line because everyone else on the account has some perspective and is well, [professional. Turns out it's because a manager told her what was up and this got her upset.

Maybe if your job involves crisis management, you could learn to manage your emotions better? This isn't the first time.

And then my lead went out and took basically a second lunch break to buy powerball tickets for the office pool, and this had to be done at an extra special place 15 miles away. During the downtime he was sent downstairs to look for the site manager's pedometer which she had believed was lost there. Turned it out, it was at home.

This place is getting so weird man.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 13, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So basically she was the only one in the chain pitching a fit while even those above her were just shrugging and accepting it was out of your team's hands?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Today, a "senior systems administrator" logged in to my Certificate Authority after giving himself permissions via the Enterprise Admin account. He proceeded to incorrectly generate a request on the RDS broker, then authorized the pending request and exported a .cer file.
I found out about this when he complained about the certificate not working.
The RDS needs public/private exportable keys. And Server Authentication. Neither of these things exist in the 'MyCert' template genius dreamed up.
I explained that he needs a .pfx and that the template exists (oddly the one called RDS) and that auto enrol is on and furthermore what the gently caress.
His takeaway from that conversation was "oh, a .pfx file? OK" and then, and I poo poo you not here, he finds his .cer file and loving changes the file extension .
Its been like 12 hours and I'm still trying to figure that out.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

mewse posted:

Half hour meeting x 5 people = 2.5 hrs wasted time because he demands clairvoyance?

No, because he demands precognition.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Yay for SPF/DKIM/DMARC!

A few weeks ago we posted a little "About Us" blurb on our webpage as part of a complete redesign. This blurb contained the names of the CEO/ VP, and a handful of other execs. It didn't take long for scammers to start spear phishing with this info...

Has our CEO's name and email address as the FROM, and was apparently sent to a dictionary of common names @ our domain.

Without a published DMARC policy this would have ended up in many inboxes..

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

stevewm posted:

Yay for SPF/DKIM/DMARC!

A few weeks ago we posted a little "About Us" blurb on our webpage as part of a complete redesign. This blurb contained the names of the CEO/ VP, and a handful of other execs. It didn't take long for scammers to start spear phishing with this info...

Has our CEO's name and email address as the FROM, and was apparently sent to a dictionary of common names @ our domain.

Had a similar one a short while back. They had the first and last names right. Maybe they're finding data on things like LinkedIn

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Google Apps giving you the reason for the message ending up in spam right there above the message is pretty much the best thing ever.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

stevewm posted:

Yay for SPF/DKIM/DMARC!

We got the exact same one yesterday from our CEO. It's just spearfishing and spoofing. Nothing to be done but train your users to not respond to poo poo like that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tigntink posted:

We got the exact same one yesterday from our CEO. It's just spearfishing and spoofing. Nothing to be done but train your users to not respond to poo poo like that.

Got one yesterday and someone called yelling at me that an attachment was blocked and we needed to pay a company some $$ and IT was holding them up.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Bob Morales posted:

Got one yesterday and someone called yelling at me that an attachment was blocked and we needed to pay a company some $$ and IT was holding them up.

jfc you really are working in the 9th circle of hell

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Dear Vendors,

Listen, I know you like money. I get it. I like money, too.

But don't have a call that ends with me saying I'm not interested, then insist on having a second call because "I think you just don't understand all the ~~wonderful~~ things we have to offer", then on the second call get flippant and annoyed because "Well if you aren't interested than why are you wasting everyone's time".

My time was spent doing work while you rambled on about stuff I don't want or need. Your time was wasted because "No" isn't in your vocabulary.

Good luck with those numbers.

Hugs and kisses,

Lord Dudeguy

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So basically she was the only one in the chain pitching a fit while even those above her were just shrugging and accepting it was out of your team's hands?

Precisely. She's done this at major system go lives too. Freaking out and even crying in front of clients and coworkers when the go live was going just fine.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

skooma512 posted:

Precisely. She's done this at major system go lives too. Freaking out and even crying in front of clients and coworkers when the go live was going just fine.

I have had two different clients cry on more than one occasion while I worked with them on configuring the automated attendant for their phone system.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
What is wrong with people? Save your crying for at home in the shower like a normal human.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's like people don't know how to treat their problems with alcohol nowadays

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Someone installing a door managed to drill into some power lines and shut off the power to the front of our building. Nice. Good thing I have an SSD and can boot back up in 30 seconds :smug:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

mewse posted:

It's like people don't know how to treat their problems with alcohol nowadays

I think people in our field just get more practice with this than normal folk.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Our last desktop support guy quit in October, and his replacement just started at the end of last year. However, this morning the new guy put his 2 weeks' in. My boss in out on family leave, meaning that I'm the only guy here.

I'm hoping I can take over the hiring process so it doesn't take another 2 months to fill an entry-level position.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

beepsandboops posted:

Our last desktop support guy quit in October, and his replacement just started at the end of last year. However, this morning the new guy put his 2 weeks' in. My boss in out on family leave, meaning that I'm the only guy here.

I'm hoping I can take over the hiring process so it doesn't take another 2 months to fill an entry-level position.

What would really show them is if you gave your 2 weeks notice now (if you do please have something else lined up first).

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

beepsandboops posted:

This was happening to me and I found that faking out management that I was interviewing for other jobs was very beneficial. I came in dressed like I was going to an interview once a week for 3 weeks and took 1.5 hour lunches and magically everyone was like "oh holy poo poo we should hire someone now"

I had a full team until last friday. Now we're hiring again.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

pixaal posted:

What would really show them is if you gave your 2 weeks notice now (if you do please have something else lined up first).

Tigntink posted:

This was happening to me and I found that faking out management that I was interviewing for other jobs was very beneficial. I came in dressed like I was going to an interview once a week for 3 weeks and took 1.5 hour lunches and magically everyone was like "oh holy poo poo we should hire someone now"

I had a full team until last friday. Now we're hiring again.
My current plan is to finish up my CCNA in a few weeks then hit the bricks. I'm hoping I can influence the hiring process in the meantime to smooth things out, but I'm not especially optimistic.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Bob Morales posted:

Pay a salesperson $120,000 salary? Sure.
Buy them a $2,500 Lenovo laptop+dock that they'll destroy? Sure.
Pay $5/month for online backup? BOB THAT'S TOO MUCH MONEY

Just use O365 with OneDrive :smug:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

DigitalMocking posted:

Just use O365 with OneDrive :smug:

gently caress OneDrive man.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

beepsandboops posted:

At my last place, a recent hiring I saw took about two months from ad going out to guy being hired. The ad had a map showing us located in Kuala Lumpur instead of Scotland. Ad company claimed they couldn't change that. Fortunately the one guy who turned up for an interview was quite good.

When I left, I had to give two months' notice (it was not a high ranking job by any means) and my replacement wouldn't start until a month after that. Funny story; there were two candidates with the same name. Steve1 passed the phone interview, Steve2 failed. It was Steve2 that was invited to (and subsequently got) the job. We speculated the admin person got mixed up because her recent messy breakup was also to someone called Steve.
Anyway, co-workers were showing Steve2 around and asking questions like, 'did it take you long to travel from [steve1's town]?' and asking if he planned to relocate when he already lived in the city the job where the job was based. Wonder if he'll ever find out he failed the first interview.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I have had two different clients cry on more than one occasion while I worked with them on configuring the automated attendant for their phone system.
Having set up the automated attendant for my phone system, that seems like a perfectly reasonable reaction if their interface was anything like ours.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

gently caress OneDrive man.

I like onedrive, what's wrong with it?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

I like onedrive, what's wrong with it?

It's less a problem with OneDrive and more the problem that Microsoft keeps breaking it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

It's less a problem with OneDrive and more the problem that Microsoft keeps breaking it.

Fair enough. I actually like it better than GoogleDrive and Dropbox. :unsmith:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If I recall correctly OnedriveForBusiness or whatever the hell they are calling it now is based off of Groove which sharepoint uses which is why they both suck to similar degrees, while regular consumer OneDrive is not and works much better. All I know is that I'm glad I dont have to support OneDrive anymore. If you ever have any problems whatsoever save yourself the troubleshooting and just wipe the folder and re-sync. That's going to be Microsofts suggestion anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Me = black

AS/400 doofus = blue

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Some people just want to watch the world put in helpdesk tickets.