Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what the Kelly number of tickets people should buy is for most people given the tiny amount of EV and huge variance. I imagine it's probably 0 for a lot of people. Or maybe it's exactly enough to get everyone down to some % of their total bankroll. I don't know how Kelly criterion works very well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

gently caress the ROW posted:

theyre gonna call it PLOWERBALL when i win this thing

BOWERPALL

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

So 10am we find out if someone one? I'm just giddy with excitement.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

I thought the next drawing is Wednesday night

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Stefan Prodan posted:

I wonder what the Kelly number of tickets people should buy is for most people given the tiny amount of EV and huge variance. I imagine it's probably 0 for a lot of people. Or maybe it's exactly enough to get everyone down to some % of their total bankroll. I don't know how Kelly criterion works very well!

I walked up to the counter today then the clerk looked at me and I started sweating and then I just yelled I FOLD and chucked my little ticket with the minmaxed number selection into the muck.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Accretionist posted:

I think it's federal income tax of 39.6%.

Lump summed gets the 39.6 plus state but once invested it's the capital gains rate.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Blind Rasputin posted:

So 10am we find out if someone one? I'm just giddy with excitement.

PM

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/QtexXMG.webm

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

what if they decide not to pay out the jackpot because they can't guarantee it won't be donated to ISIS

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

its beautiful

naem
May 29, 2011

:agreed:

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
imagine the upgrade you could get at 900M

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

jon joe posted:

Let's say you know the winning numbers. From a dream, God told you, aliens beamed it into your brain, whatever. Should you buy the winning ticket? Probably. But you shouldn't stop there. Every ticket your purchase with the 5 regular numbers, but the wrong powerball, nets you 1 million dollars at the cost of 2. With power play, that's 2 million dollars at the cost of 3. If you purchase 1000 power play tickets with the right regular numbers and wrong powerball, that costs 3 thousand dollars and gains you 2 billion, net gain 1,999,996,000.00 before taxes. That's an investment gain of 666666.67%. Sure you'll be in court hell forever as the lottery tries to figure out how you cheated, but when they come up with nothing they'll be forced to pay you (with interest over time, because they won't have enough cash on hand to lump sum you, so it'll be closer to 2 billion plus 5%ish on the remaining capital for every year they fail to pay you everything.) You could technically do it for more, but that ups the chance the lottery dissolves and pays you however much its corpse is worth, instead. Or maybe that's what dream God alien wanted.

There's a specific provision that they'll simply reduce the prizes if they don't have enough money.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I'm going to take the $4 I won on Saturday and use it to buy the winning ticket today.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Zogo posted:

That's a very conservative estimate of the annuity take home amount because the gov't fat cats/politicians are going to take a lot in some states.

Yeah alright I can get down with that. I'd probably put it upfront in the analysis especially since payouts under I think $600 aren't explicitly recorded for taxation.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
here's some extra lucky numbers, gbs:

you're welcome!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

I walked up to the counter today then the clerk looked at me and I started sweating and then I just yelled I FOLD and chucked my little ticket with the minmaxed number selection into the muck.

same

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Play 1 2 3 4 5 6. It's just as likely as any combination and if you win you get to be the person who won a billion dollars with President Skroob's luggage combination.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm literally playing numbers I saw in a dream because I am an easily amused idiot who makes poor life choices.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Accretionist posted:

I'm literally playing numbers I saw in a dream because I am an easily amused idiot who makes poor life choices.

You could play literally any numbers and it doesn't make a bit of difference.

Colbert showed his numbers last night on the late show. I do wonder how many people are going to buy those same numbers now.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I just let the computer pick my numbers.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
yes its very confusing to me when i see everybody filling out the little cards. but, its not like i actually "play" the lottery so who am I to judge. I've bought probably 5 tickets my entire life. but seriously how does picking numbers change anything lol

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I'm going to take the $4 I won on Saturday and use it to buy the winning ticket today.

hey rear end in a top hat this is what im going to do

part oaf me is worried ill win $4 for the rest of my life though and never stop buying lottery tickets

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

BossRighteous posted:

You could play literally any numbers and it doesn't make a bit of difference.

But now if I win, I'm psychic. There's a 1-in-292m chance of a follow-on book deal and talk show.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

If you picked the white number randomly from 32-69 you may decrease the probability of a collision a little. 30% of players pick their own numbers and I bet out of those a lot are birthday numbers.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Germstore posted:

Play 1 2 3 4 5 6. It's just as likely as any combination and if you win you get to be the person who won a billion dollars with President Skroob's luggage combination.

Yes but it is more likely that others are doing to same thing and there would be a massive split.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Germstore posted:

This would be hilarious because (I'm guessing) at least 1,000 smug assholes would have to split the prize down to probably under a million after taxes. I'm sure they would be very happy about it still, but there would be that sense of annoyance that its not a full jackpot if you looked deep into their eyes.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Yes but it is more likely that others are doing to same thing and there would be a massive split.

I found one article saying 1-2-3-4-5-6 gets played thousands of times per week in the british lotto, so it's probably the same for the powerball. That would be pretty nasty.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
6 5 4 3 2 1, then

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Three Olives posted:

So you should buy a ticket to get a piece of the pie.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
I thought for sure that "lucky" 13 as the powerball would have had somebody win. Maybe if the powerball is 7 instead.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Actually more hilarious would just be if 1-2-3-4-5 hits with some random other powerball number. That might actually create the situation described above where people think they are in for the (unsplittable) $1,000,000 second place prize, but there are so many of them that the lottery invokes that clause where it can't pay out and reduces the prizes.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

yes its very confusing to me when i see everybody filling out the little cards. but, its not like i actually "play" the lottery so who am I to judge. I've bought probably 5 tickets my entire life. but seriously how does picking numbers change anything lol

hey rear end in a top hat this is what im going to do

part oaf me is worried ill win $4 for the rest of my life though and never stop buying lottery tickets
Because it's honestly just more fun that way. For saturdays and tonight's drawing my gf and I got one quick pick and one picked numbers each. I used a mathematical sequence for mine so it just seems unrealistic it would actually be right (even if it does have the same odds), so the quick pick kinda makes you feel better about that.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I've noticed that quickpicks repeat numbers more often, decreasing your odds of regular prizes.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Accretionist posted:

I've noticed that quickpicks repeat numbers more often, decreasing your odds of regular prizes.

This is fact, never do quick picks.

Personally I just play one ticket, with advance plays (you can fill a bubble to get advance plays on the slip), and I know what numbers I picked.. so once every few weeks I can just look at all the past drawings quickly and see if my numbers are there (which they never will be) and waste as little time as possible while drawing continued false hope for the longest possible time.

Also they give you your slip back when you buy the ticket so you can pay your math tax like a good little drone without needing to fill it out again.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

These poor scrubs thought they won Saturday, but they were mistakenly looking at numbers from last Wednesday. There is even a video of them celebrating the win.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/these-workers-mistakenly-thought-theyd-won-powerball-on-saturday-2016-01-13

quote:

Workers at a New Jersey restaurant jumped for joy when they thought they’d hit the Powerball jackpot, scoring Saturday’s $949 million prize.

But the celebration at Grissini’s Restaurant in Englewood Cliffs came to an abrupt end when employees realized they’d mistakenly compared Wednesday’s winning numbers to their Saturday ticket.

“It was like getting punched in the stomach,” said Charles Poveromo, 55, who’s worked as a bartender at the restaurant for 13 years.

Poveromo said 42 employees pooled their money and bought $210 worth of tickets.

On Saturday, his friend texted him the latest Powerball numbers — but failed to realize the website hadn’t been updated yet, and it was still showing Wednesday’s winning combination, he said.

“I picked up my phone and start calling out the numbers to everyone here,” Poveromo said.

“All the numbers matched our tickets. Then pandemonium hit. There was just so much joy, and I can’t put into words the feelings of euphoria that we all felt.”

A video posted on YouTube captured the brief moment of bliss, showing staffers hooting and hollering for joy, believing they’d become instant millionaires.

A dishwasher even took his apron off, yelling out, “I’m outta here! I quit!,” general manger Mike Devincenzi, 47, told The Post.

Then Poveromo called his wife, who said they should double-check the numbers. That’s when they realized the numbers were from the wrong day.

“When we found out, it was like a balloon deflating,” Poveromo said.

The dishwasher who threatened to quit laughed and put his apron back on, saying, “Back to work,” Devincenzi added.

In a Facebook post, the eatery posted a picture of their Saturday ticket with Wednesday’s winning numbers: 2, 11, 47, 62, 63 and 17. No one won the Wednesday drawing, which had a $528 million prize.

But Poveromo still relishes his brief taste of victory.

“For 20 minutes, it was real,” he said. “It’s a shame we didn’t win, but I wouldn’t trade that feeling for anything.”

And despite the crushing mix-up, they’re still playing this week’s lottery, hoping to take home the $1.5 billion jackpot on Wednesday, he said.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hahahahahaha.

Watch them win tonight.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

New strategy, spend 2 dollars on one ticket and spend another 2 dollars buying the hobo outside a bag of those corn chips he likes. The karma increases your chance of winning by at least a factor of four.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Pawn 17 posted:

“For 20 minutes, it was real,” he said. “It’s a shame we didn’t win, but I wouldn’t trade that feeling for anything.”

I bet he'd trade it for a billion dollars. loving yokels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Germstore posted:

New strategy, spend 2 dollars on one ticket and spend another 2 dollars buying the hobo outside a bag of those corn chips he likes. The karma increases your chance of winning by at least a factor of four.

Morrowind taught me being generous usually ends in having to murder the person who you're being charitable to, and stealing their ebony armor. :shrug:

• Locked thread