Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cicero posted:

Speaking of N64 VC, was planning on getting Paper Mario for my nephews on Wii U, is that a bad idea?

It's an excellent game and looks great on the VC and you can play it in bed with the gamepad. Go for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Color Printer posted:

That is the complete opposite of a bad idea

This is the complete non-opposite of a good opinion.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cicero posted:

Speaking of N64 VC, was planning on getting Paper Mario for my nephews on Wii U, is that a bad idea?

Its a really fantastic RPG and also very kid friendly, so yeah as others have said you should do exactly that.

Its too bad Paper Mario turned into a weird platformer-esque thing on the Wii; Mario RPG, Paper Mario, and Thousand-Year Door are all fantastic RPGs.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a really fantastic RPG and also very kid friendly, so yeah as others have said you should do exactly that.

Its too bad Paper Mario turned into a weird platformer-esque thing on the Wii; Mario RPG, Paper Mario, and Thousand-Year Door are all fantastic RPGs.

Thankfully Mario & Luigi carried on the torch, Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story at least (I like Dream Team too actually)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Paper Jam comes out next week in NA too!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cicero posted:

The action command is a little more difficult due to input lag but it's consistent, so if you have it memorized you kinda have to relearn it. It's a great RPG for anyone, especially kids, lots of reading and humor.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Color Printer posted:

That is the complete opposite of a bad idea
I know it's a good game, I still have my cart, but people were saying that N64 emulation sucks.

Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be picking it up.

greatn posted:

The action command is a little more difficult due to input lag but it's consistent, so if you have it memorized you kinda have to relearn it. It's a great RPG for anyone, especially kids, lots of reading and humor.
Is there input lag due to emulation, or just because modern TVs have more input lag than the CRTs of yore?

Cicero fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 12, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Cicero posted:

I know it's a good game but people were saying that N64 emulation sucks.

Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be picking it up.

Is there input lag due to emulation, or just because modern TVs have more input lag than the CRTs of yore?

To clarify, N64 emulation that isn't officially sanctioned by Nintendo (such as PC emulators or homebrew ones) is generally terrible. N64 on VC is probably the closest you're going to get to the real thing and it generally works just fine, outside of some weird edge cases, such as some glitches that would cause buffer overflows in OoT for N64 being possible on VC because the Wii/Wii U has more memory.

I'm inclined to say input lag is more on the TV than the actual emulation, because I don't really get much when I'm playing on strictly the gamepad. If there is any, I hardly notice it when I do play on my actual display, but then again, I play on a PC monitor and not a TV, so that might help things in my case.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cicero posted:

I borrowed an N64 from my friend once in elementary school with a bunch of games. I didnt give a rats rear end about OOT or Mario 64 and played through all of Paper Mario instead. Its a good game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Zaphod42 posted:

Super Paper Mario is honestly a pretty good game, if you go in expecting something completely different from TTYD

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Austrian mook posted:

Super Paper Mario is honestly a pretty good game, if you go in expecting something completely different from TTYD

Yeah its not bad and its very novel and does lots of unique things no other game does, but paper mario is so great its sad they had to kinda twist the series.

Why not just make a new mario game for that sort of thing? Ah, because the name 'paper mario' just fit too well :cheeky:

Pablo Gigante posted:

Thankfully Mario & Luigi carried on the torch, Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story at least (I like Dream Team too actually)

I don't like those ones half as much as Mario RPG, Paper Mario or Thousand-year door though :smith: They're not bad but they just don't quite capture me the same.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

To clarify, N64 emulation that isn't officially sanctioned by Nintendo (such as PC emulators or homebrew ones) is generally terrible. N64 on VC is probably the closest you're going to get to the real thing and it generally works just fine, outside of some weird edge cases, such as some glitches that would cause buffer overflows in OoT for N64 being possible on VC because the Wii/Wii U has more memory.

I'm inclined to say input lag is more on the TV than the actual emulation, because I don't really get much when I'm playing on strictly the gamepad. If there is any, I hardly notice it when I do play on my actual display, but then again, I play on a PC monitor and not a TV, so that might help things in my case.

Is Sin and Punishment 64 supposed to be as dark as it is on VC? It's the only N64 game I have on VC and it's great (if ludicrously hard) but everything looks like it's illuminated by candlelight.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Most if not all N64 VC titles on the U are really dark for some reason. I don't think that counts as accurate emulation, Ninty.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Most if not all N64 VC titles on the U are really dark for some reason. I don't think that counts as accurate emulation, Ninty.

It's really weird, if you look at the suspend save screenshot in the menu, you can kind of see that the screenshot is a lot brighter and less washed out, so I have to assume they're applying a filter to the N64 emulation the same way they do to the NES VC games to make it more true to the CRT experience I guess? :shrug: I don't think they do it with SNES or GBA games, so I legit have no clue why they bothered for N64.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Saoshyant posted:

Emulating Majoras Mask on Wii made one super dark room basically impossible. I had to look up a map to see where to go because the game was pitch black.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

ChaosArgate posted:

It's really weird, if you look at the suspend save screenshot in the menu, you can kind of see that the screenshot is a lot brighter and less washed out, so I have to assume they're applying a filter to the N64 emulation the same way they do to the NES VC games to make it more true to the CRT experience I guess? :shrug: I don't think they do it with SNES or GBA games, so I legit have no clue why they bothered for N64.

They do it for SNES games too but it's much slighter and looks a lot more accurate, it's weird. The only SNES game I have where I can clearly tell it on is Kirby Super Star. GBA and DS games have no filter, because I guess they were on a handeld? Except that a lot of GBA games are super bright to compensate for the poo poo screen of the original GBA so they could actually use that darkening. The Virtual Console makes no sense.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
GBA/DS (and Game Gear on 3DS) emulation is by M2, the best retro preservation devs in the business. The other platforms are done internally and are not nearly as good.

The N64 filter is speculated to be a catch-all "fix" for potential epilepsy triggers. There are lots of weird goofy anomalies with N64 on Wii U.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

One weird thing is apparently Paper Mario doesn't lag on WiiU VC, and Donkey Kong 64 somehow runs faster.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

M2 is god not only for their emu work but for the entire 3D Classics run. I always hoped they'd get around to another pack of those, preferably hitting Shining Force or at least a GBA port of the remake.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They just put out a second physical compilation of 3D Classics in Japan and in all the press leading up to the release they've sounded very confident about being able to do a third compilation at the very least, as opposed to every other time where they've been like "okay, we're done now, honest".

Then again, that doesn't mean much for the rest of the world.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
In regards to VC, I've noticed substantial differences between running the same games on HD and 480p old-fashioned televisions. Brightness, screen orientation, sprite dithering, that kind of thing. I've seen a fair few games that flatly look better in standard resolution.

MinibarMatchman posted:

M2 is god not only for their emu work but for the entire 3D Classics run. I always hoped they'd get around to another pack of those, preferably hitting Shining Force or at least a GBA port of the remake.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They just put out a second physical compilation of 3D Classics in Japan and in all the press leading up to the release they've sounded very confident about being able to do a third compilation at the very least, as opposed to every other time where they've been like "okay, we're done now, honest".

Then again, that doesn't mean much for the rest of the world.

Bleh. They mentioned doing Toe Jam & Earl, my favourite game ever, on 3D Classics and I really want to see it. It's never been done in portable form (to my knowledge).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

GBA/DS (and Game Gear on 3DS) emulation is by M2, the best retro preservation devs in the business. The other platforms are done internally and are not nearly as good.

The N64 filter is speculated to be a catch-all "fix" for potential epilepsy triggers. There are lots of weird goofy anomalies with N64 on Wii U.

To be fair, Sin and Punishment definitely needs that because there is a lot of flashing stuff.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

JustJeff88 posted:

In regards to VC, I've noticed substantial differences between running the same games on HD and 480p old-fashioned televisions. Brightness, screen orientation, sprite dithering, that kind of thing. I've seen a fair few games that flatly look better in standard resolution.

Bleh. They mentioned doing Toe Jam & Earl, my favourite game ever, on 3D Classics and I really want to see it. It's never been done in portable form (to my knowledge).

I would pay full retail price for 3D Toejam & Earl

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Color Printer posted:

Donkey Kong 64 somehow runs faster.

This apparently screws up the timings for a few things that relied on the N64 not being beefy enough to handle certain things smoothly! DK64 is a bad game in general, but avoid the Wii U release!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

ChaosArgate posted:

This apparently screws up the timings for a few things that relied on the N64 not being beefy enough to handle certain things smoothly! DK64 is a bad game in general, but avoid the Wii U release!

Oh my god I have to look that up. That's even better. :allears:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

the dark filter also makes that level pretty much impossible to navigate so it's a real shitshow all around

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
New Mario & DK eShop game was announced for 3DS/Wii U:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/ap5j/index.html

Mini Mario & Friends: Amiibo Challenge, launches as part of a Japanese amiibo campaign from January 28. New amiibo will come with a free download code for both versions of the game; it doesn't seem like it'll be avaialble as a standalone download right away, and it requires at least one amiibo to play.

There are "over 60 stages"; each character has a unique ability, and the standard stages contain character-specific exits that unlock new character-specific stages. (If you tap a non-Mario amiibo you play as a generic block character called "Mini-Spec".) Beyond that, it's pretty much just Tipping Stars Again.

Compatible amiibo:

Mario - wall-kick
Luigi - high-jump
Peach - SMB2-style float jump
Bowser - does a SMB3-style ground smash when stepping off a ledge
Toad - can crouch to squeeze through small gaps
Yoshi - swallows certain enemies
DK - can walk up steep slopes
Diddy - ledge-grab
Rosalina - does a super-high vertical jump next to walls?
Bowser Jr. - hovers over spikes in the clown car

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 13, 2016

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Lack of Wario support is confusing, its just another Lemmings-lite game isn't it?

Well, free is nice I guess and I can't imagine its tough to churn these things out considering the graphical assets are most likely the same as the ones from Tipping Stars, but still THIS was the free-to-play amiibo centric game we've been hearing about? Beats another F2P Pokemon game but there's really no need for another drat Mario Vs DK since the last one didn't even come out a full year ago.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Donkey Kong '94 and Mario vs Donkey Kong are two of my favorite puzzle games ever, but the Lemmings style of the recent games just fails to grab me. I'd be way more interested in taking the game back to its roots and dropping Amiibos into that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, bloody hell, aren't those two supposed to be the same? Why make it confusing by making them separate to the point you'll need to link them?

I understood that Club Nintendo was old as poo poo and the 3DS was before the account system so both had to be linked with NNID. But that logic doesn't make sense here: link an account system with another account system? :nintendo:

Probably because the NNID infrastructure is already set up with the Wii U and 3DS. Presumably the NX will be Nintendo Account only

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wonder if the dark thing in N64 VC has anything do with the original console not outputting a proper RGB signal, from what I can remember it only did composite and s-video.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

WE'RE GETTING ZERO MISSION FINALLY

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/metroid-zero-mission-wii-u

nintendo reads my posts and only mine

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

WE'RE GETTING ZERO MISSION FINALLY

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/metroid-zero-mission-wii-u

nintendo reads my posts and only mine

Ugh, release GBA titles on 3DS already, Nintendo. :(

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

3DS isn't powerful enough... apparently.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

is this what we're going to do again

we're going to argue about gba emulation on 3ds

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

3DS wouldn't emulate GBA games at an acceptable level for Nintendo. Even the ambassador games are spotty. New 3DS probably could do it just fine, but I doubt Nintendo would want to segregate e-shops for that.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone seen anything about the service that's supposed to replace Club Nintendo?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing Zero Mission on my 3DS right now

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Monkey Fracas posted:

Anyone seen anything about the service that's supposed to replace Club Nintendo?

Nintendo Account has been live in Japan for a little bit now. So far it doesn't do a whole lot, but you can get digital discounts on your birthday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

jivjov posted:

Nintendo Account has been live in Japan for a little bit now. So far it doesn't do a whole lot, but you can get digital discounts on your birthday

My birthday was Monday this information does nothing for me :(