Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

I just want to not have to hear them being obnoxious when they can take that poo poo home so I can play a lovely game of X wing and make pew pew laser noises. :3:

Leave it to magic to take the fun out of playing with wangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

alansmithee posted:

And as for dudes who are talking about selling their stuff and getting out of the game because it sucks now or whatever, I would seriously reconsider at least the "sell everything but X" part. I've gotten out of the game twice before because I thought it sucked or was dying or whatever, and ended up regretting my decision each time as the game's just gotten way more popular. That's obviously not guaranteed to keep happening of course, but unless you really need the cash/space it's seriously worth it holding on to what you have and just taking a break, or you'll come back and find out the duals you sold for $30 are now $200 and the blood moon's that were a couple bucks are sitting at $40 (for example).

Can confirm this is true, I've sold my collection twice before: Once the spring after Worldwake and once last spring. Both times nearly every card I sold has gone way, way up in value.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zoness posted:

Leave it to magic to take the fun out of playing with wangs.

I also still enjoy playing with my lovely Land Tax. :3:

Friend says if he ever head judges a large-ish local event he'll allow me to use it. It'll be in my ANT sideboard. :evilbuddy:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

PleasantDirge posted:

That is pretty sweet, where are you sneaking that in, storm?

The Spanish Inquisition. :v:

Lets Pickle posted:

Can confirm this is true, I've sold my collection twice before: Once the spring after Worldwake and once last spring. Both times nearly every card I sold has gone way, way up in value.

Yeahhh, that's kinda where I am. I have all these stupid cards I want to sell but they're things like Eternal Witness, Kitchen Finks, Paths, etc. that are going to triple in price shortly because it's modern season.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
If the policy is so dumb and player-toxic that they hate to tell us about it and they would love to not enforce it in 90% of cases then maybe it shouldn't be the policy.

I know that they feel they need to protect themselves against counterfeits (using a reasonable-person definition of "counterfeit" here, not the one from Trick's rear end) but if they actually don't see Sharpie or crude inkjet proxies as a threat to their IP, then why not rewrite the policy to make it clear that using the latter in unsanctioned LGS tournaments is okay?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
gently caress it, batwing brume is going in my sideboard for soul sisters v. Twin.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

If the policy is so dumb and player-toxic that they hate to tell us about it and they would love to not enforce it in 90% of cases then maybe it shouldn't be the policy.

I know that they feel they need to protect themselves against counterfeits (using a reasonable-person definition of "counterfeit" here, not the one from Trick's rear end) but if they actually don't see Sharpie or crude inkjet proxies as a threat to their IP, then why not rewrite the policy to make it clear that using the latter in unsanctioned LGS tournaments is okay?

look man someone's gonna make a perfect counterfeit using sharpies and there goes that idea

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Please stop using the word Sharpie. It is a protected trademark. Use "marker" or "altered with a marker" instead.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

En Fuego posted:

The next Chuck Palahnuik book will be Fight Club for unsanctioned proxy MTG tournaments.

I am Jack's Raging River.

I will sue that mother fucker for all he's worth if he starts writing about albertan death magic

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zoness posted:

look man someone's gonna make a perfect counterfeit using sharpies and there goes that idea

Oh no Klug's going to wizard jail for his perfect black lotus restorations :ohdear:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

stinkles1112 posted:

Something tells me that if you sit around your LGS playtesting with proxies, WotC isn't gonna come kick the door in and strip away all their privileges. The dude who said "just stop pressing the issue" is pretty right on.

I don't know if you somehow have no experience with the insanity surrounding peoples behaviors / FLGS cliques but I guarantee you one store will send loyal players to the competing store and have them start up a proxy cube league and report the store to wotc.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

But are they legal in Momir Basic

This is actually a good point.

Also what website is Emerson Cod quoting from, Reddit or MTGS?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
If they're going to regulate what stores can and can't do on their own time and hold their wpn status over their head while doing so, they might as well tell them not to allow any games besides magic, too. Both detract from legitimate magic play.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

If they're going to regulate what stores can and can't do on their own time and hold their wpn status over their head while doing so, they might as well tell them not to allow any games besides magic, too. Both detract from legitimate magic play.

high quality slippery slope, A+ effort for saying the dumbest possible thing in a sea of dumb.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Please do not give WOTC such foul ideas.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

A basic land would imply you could have more than 4, this isn't the case with wastes right?

You can run as many wastes as you want in Constructed and as many as you have in your pool in Limited. The "Basic" supertype actually does have rules meaning, i.e. "You can run as many of this in your Constructed deck as you want."

Comp Rules posted:

205.4c Any land with the supertype “basic” is a basic land.

100.2a In constructed play (a way of playing in which each player creates his or her own deck ahead of time), each deck must contain at least sixty cards. A constructed deck may contain any number of basic land cards and no more than four of any card with a particular English name other than basic land cards.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 13, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Telex posted:

high quality slippery slope, A+ effort for saying the dumbest possible thing in a sea of dumb.

Top level slippery slope is revoking dci membership for playing cube at home with proxies.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Top level slippery slope is revoking dci membership for playing cube at home with proxies.

That slope isn't particularly slippery when WotC is sending out invoices to people who do draft on those online draft websites. $11.97 per draft, suckers!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Telex posted:

Nah it was a good post

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hellsau posted:

That slope isn't particularly slippery when WotC is sending out invoices to people who do draft on those online draft websites. $11.97 per draft, suckers!
What? They are??

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Lancelot posted:

What? They are??

sorry I was just quoting from Reddit from next week.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Hyperbole aside, I wouldn't be surprised if magiccards.info gets a takedown notice within the next six months, the way wizards has been behaving. Why should anyone look at images of magic cards anywhere but gatherer?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
How do you do that without stopping people showing cards in their articles on CFB/SCG?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is there any reason they couldn't errata Relentless Rats or Shadowborn Apostle to have a "Basic Creature -- " typeline?

I guess you could come up with convoluted scenarios where it would actually functionally change something, like if you cast Cytoshape on an animated man-land and made it a copy of Relentless Rats, it would no longer be targetable by Sowing Salt.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Hellsau posted:

sorry I was just quoting from Reddit from next week.

I think Reddit's broken, I keep making posts slagging off Cardboard Crack and they fall off the bottom of the thread. Bizarre.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Entropic posted:

Is there any reason they couldn't errata Relentless Rats or Shadowborn Apostle to have a "Basic Creature -- " typeline?

I guess you could come up with convoluted scenarios where it would actually functionally change something, like if you cast Cytoshape on an animated man-land and made it a copy of Relentless Rats, it would no longer be targetable by Sowing Salt.

The party line is that the phrase "basic" communicates meaning that they don't want to communicate about relentless rats, even if it's acceptable within the rules.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think Reddit's broken, I keep making posts slagging off Cardboard Crack and they fall off the bottom of the thread. Bizarre.

Cardboard Crack was actually pretty decent today, surprisingly.

I wonder if they'll link it again on dailyMTG

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

Apparently magic players, who are--according to Mark Rosewater--known for being unable to read cards, really like humor that derives from overly wordy explanations of mundane concepts.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Entropic posted:

They could do but they don't want to because it's disingenuous to describe creatures with rules text as "basic"

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zoness posted:

Apparently magic players, who are--according to Mark Rosewater--known for being unable to read cards, really like humor that derives from overly wordy explanations of mundane concepts.

It's often not even humorous. Like the one the other day about the diamond mana symbol was just a rules-savvier-than-thou diatribe about how dumb people who confuse historically confused game concepts are.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

cheetah7071 posted:

Hyperbole aside, I wouldn't be surprised if magiccards.info gets a takedown notice within the next six months, the way wizards has been behaving. Why should anyone look at images of magic cards anywhere but gatherer?

Especially on a site where every card's page features this functionality

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Zoness posted:

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. I enjoy overly wordy analysis of mundane concepts, yet am often unable to read posts

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

JerryLee posted:

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. I enjoy overly wordy analysis of mundane concepts, yet am often unable to read posts

you're unable to make posts as well

e: good posts :smuggo:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

cheetah7071 posted:

The party line is that the phrase "basic" communicates meaning that they don't want to communicate about relentless rats, even if it's acceptable within the rules.

Yeah, I really wouldn't expect them to actually do it. Basic Spells are for the most part a terrible idea for the game. IIRC someone pitched them during one of the Great Designer Searches, and it was pretty much agreed that there's not much interesting design space there, because it's meaningless for Limited, and would make the game more boring if any of the cards were actually good enough for constructed. It's definitely a "we could technically do this, but why in god's name would we" sort of mechanic outside of the odd one-off gimmick like Shadowborn Apostle.

I just wondered whether it would actually be functional errata to use the Basic supertype for the already-existing examples and I think I answered my own question, that yeah, it would be.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Good morning everyone,
We have been given an official clarification from Paul Hagan at WOTC on the proxies issue. Stores may not conduct events, sanctioned or otherwise, that permit the use of proxies. DSG completely supports this policy as necessary to protect the intellectual property rights of our industry partners.
However, stores are NOT required to police casual play by players. If players wish to play amongst one another in a tournament-like manner at the store, so long as the store has zero involvement (including no use of Event Reporter), this is not a violation.
This is a relief from the initial warning that was worded in such a way as to require stores to enforce a ban on proxy use on the premises altogether, which would have been a daunting task. And also would have made playtesting needlessly difficult for players committing no infringement at all (such as with a Mountain that has "Ugin" sharpied on it).
DSG already does not run proxy events, so with this clarification, our store policy is that no changes will occur.

There's a joke here somewhere about how Paul Hagan's about to be hit with an RB instant right.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Gyshall posted:

you're unable to make posts as well

e: good posts :smuggo:

drat

What if a store holds an "Open Casual Play" event? It's an event, but it's casual play.

I guess the key distinction is that the store is involved. So now do we have stores trying to facilitate the ability for players to get together and run their own tournaments while maintaining plausible deniability as to whether the store is "involved"? This all seems unnecessarily dumb.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 13, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
My assumption was that they were saying "don't use WER for proxy poo poo" and it sounds like that's what they meant.

Also Uncharted Realms:

Uncharted RealmsOFFICIAL MAGIC FICTION

* Tazri is like "oh gently caress" when Kozilek emerges. She assumes Gideon is dead and she encounters Kozilek himself. Due to Kozilek's warping over time and space, Tazri experiences her past, present and future in an instant. She remembers how she was working as a caravan leader and came across an angel left for dead by Vampires. The angel asks Tazri to kill her, Tazri does it despite knowing that killing an angel is a cursed act. As a result of killing the angel, she loses her job and her emotional center or some kind of poo poo (its not really specified what actually happened to her other than something being off). She takes the Angel's Halo and puts it over her neck for whatever reason I guess.

* Years later, Tazri joins Vorik (the old general guy)'s army as the right hand woman and serves for 15 years. Flash forward to her being jealous as all gently caress at Gideon getting promoted to general of the army by Vorik as he dies.

* Years after that, she's a Kozilek thrall and sees Gideon get killed by Kozilek. Also, Chandra is dead, Nissa's been reduced to a husk and Jace's illusions found some swords and stabbed him to death somehow. Kozilek is apparently a huge loving dick so he resurrects Gideon and kills him a few more times. This makes Kozilek happy in whatever way an eldritch abomination gets happy. A few millenia after that, Tazri is the only survivor of Zendikar and has sprouted Kozilek-like powers of creation, but she can't figure out how to recreate Zendikar and just sits around being totally insane by herself. Flash forward a few million years after that and she just sits around alone waiting for Kozilek to come back all sad.

* The angel's halo "comes back to life" and fixes her and she goes back to the point at which she was hit by the distortion (this apparently breaks her curse or whatever) Drana shows up and saves Noyan Dar from dying and Tazri wins a staredown to gain the title of General of the Zendikari Army, as well as gaining the power: "WUBRG: Ally creatures you control get +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of colors among those creatures."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

* Years after that, she's a Kozilek thrall and sees Gideon get killed by Kozilek. Also, Chandra is dead, Nissa's been reduced to a husk and Jace's illusions found some swords and stabbed him to death somehow. Kozilek is apparently a huge loving dick so he resurrects Gideon and kills him a few more times. This makes Kozilek happy in whatever way an eldritch abomination gets happy. A few millenia after that, Tazri is the only survivor of Zendikar and has sprouted Kozilek-like powers of creation, but she can't figure out how to recreate Zendikar and just sits around being totally insane by herself. Flash forward a few million years after that and she just sits around alone waiting for Kozilek to come back all sad.

This sounds like either an awesome bleak cosmic horror story or the leadup to a cool "The Last Question" style ending if she finally does figure out how to use her powers rather than just sitting around literally forever.

Good thing we have a quasi-deus-ex-machina to get the superfriends plot back on track :iamafag:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I am upset and relieved that this didn't turn into the plot of my favorite anime that involves someone being a god of time and space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

JerryLee posted:

drat

What if a store holds an "Open Casual Play" event? It's an event, but it's casual play.

I guess the key distinction is that the store is involved. So now do we have stores trying to facilitate the ability for players to get together and run their own tournaments while maintaining plausible deniability as to whether the store is "involved"? This all seems unnecessarily dumb.

Don't be obtuse, he spelled it out: don't use the event reporter and you are g2g. They openly admit to not wanting to try to police casual play so don't be a neck beard plz & ty

• Locked thread