Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Smite is doing something interesting with his arcade pit series, turning it into some kind of game show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEg_t8UwX-M

It's got the usual gang of idiots (Psyche, Catsworth, Madithen, DevilAzite) playing random trivia/drawing/video game challenges. It's entertaining to me because I know the personalities involved but it's kind of neat the amount of effort he's put in to make the thing work via Twitch. Some rough edges to the presentation but it's interesting nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Your neighborhood lover of PUZZLES and PURE NONSENSE!

Scaramouche posted:

Smite is doing something interesting with his arcade pit series, turning it into some kind of game show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEg_t8UwX-M

It's got the usual gang of idiots (Psyche, Catsworth, Madithen, DevilAzite) playing random trivia/drawing/video game challenges. It's entertaining to me because I know the personalities involved but it's kind of neat the amount of effort he's put in to make the thing work via Twitch. Some rough edges to the presentation but it's interesting nonetheless.

I second this recommendation, but I might be slightly biased :P

It's a really interesting show. Kinda funny when you realize what might be easy to you isn't to others. (I didn't realize that the first stage of Journey to Silius was that hard...)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Smite's looking for challenges/questions, too. He's especially low on Team Battle challenges.

Submit here: http://racebox.in/submit.html

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

Lolo De Puzlo posted:

I second this recommendation, but I might be slightly biased :P

It's a really interesting show. Kinda funny when you realize what might be easy to you isn't to others. (I didn't realize that the first stage of Journey to Silius was that hard...)

who is the pa master he is doing an awesome job

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You mean P.A. Master?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In which Slowbeef tries to prove he is not, as claimed, Hitler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k69PbHoSWm4

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
So I just got done watching HarshlyCritical play SOMA and thoroughly enjoyed it even with the facecam - because (at least now vs his older videos) he doesn't just scream like a baby and seems to, er... think critically so it's often nice to see him ponder or react to something heady in a game like SOMA but that's besides the point. I've been checking some of his other LPs and maybe it's just because he covers a lot of indie and Unity based games over more polished games like SOMA or AAA titles but I'm not getting into them as much, so...

I'm looking for some other good youtube LPs of horror games that aren't atrocious. Just looking for LPers who seem like good people and might actually be considerate. Facecam or not I don't care, that poo poo really doesn't bother me in the slightest. More peeps like HarshyCritical would be perfect, honestly.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Unfunny Poster posted:

In which Slowbeef tries to prove he is not, as claimed, Hitler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k69PbHoSWm4

Thanks, the 2nd game is pretty drat good.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HenryEx posted:

Thanks, the 2nd game is pretty drat good.

Slowbeef was played like a drat fiddle

Also the lack of "that's exactly what a Snatcher would say" by him is disappointing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Sundowner posted:

So I just got done watching HarshlyCritical play SOMA and thoroughly enjoyed it even with the facecam - because (at least now vs his older videos) he doesn't just scream like a baby and seems to, er... think critically so it's often nice to see him ponder or react to something heady in a game like SOMA but that's besides the point. I've been checking some of his other LPs and maybe it's just because he covers a lot of indie and Unity based games over more polished games like SOMA or AAA titles but I'm not getting into them as much, so...

I'm looking for some other good youtube LPs of horror games that aren't atrocious. Just looking for LPers who seem like good people and might actually be considerate. Facecam or not I don't care, that poo poo really doesn't bother me in the slightest. More peeps like HarshyCritical would be perfect, honestly.

Yeah, HarshlyCritical's gone on record saying some of his much older videos are bad, because of course at the very start there was still some hamming up going on before he'd gotten a proper identity, but for a while now he's gotten out of it and it's so much funnier seeing someone just dryly react or laugh to lovely indie horror jumpscares, rather than screech at pin drops.

As for some other good horror people, a buddy of his has a channel as well, MrKravin, who does about the same sort of thing. Occasionally they have overlap on the dumb, bad games, but they also both get a fair share of stuff only one does.

Then on top of that, they have a charity co-op channel also about playing dumb horror/survival-horror games! DangerousToGoAlone.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Man, I remember from before youtube was really a thing a site that was basically just these two guys who recorded themselves playing horror games and one was a huge scaredy cat. Had a face cam and everything. Trying to remember the names; it was mac and something but I can't seem to find them. But it was basically the exact thing you expect from modern horror game youtubers.

e: Oh gently caress, suddenly came to me. Mack and mesh. Earliest videos from 2005.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 13, 2016

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, HarshlyCritical's gone on record saying some of his much older videos are bad, because of course at the very start there was still some hamming up going on before he'd gotten a proper identity, but for a while now he's gotten out of it and it's so much funnier seeing someone just dryly react or laugh to lovely indie horror jumpscares, rather than screech at pin drops.

As for some other good horror people, a buddy of his has a channel as well, MrKravin, who does about the same sort of thing. Occasionally they have overlap on the dumb, bad games, but they also both get a fair share of stuff only one does.

Then on top of that, they have a charity co-op channel also about playing dumb horror/survival-horror games! DangerousToGoAlone.

Yeah I ended up checking out some of MrKravin's videos off the back of perusing HarshyCritical's related channels but I dunno, I just can't get into his videos. He seems like a really nice guy and all but his playthroughs are so vanilla and don't hold my attention as much.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Garrand posted:

Man, I remember from before youtube was really a thing a site that was basically just these two guys who recorded themselves playing horror games and one was a huge scaredy cat. Had a face cam and everything. Trying to remember the names; it was mac and something but I can't seem to find them. But it was basically the exact thing you expect from modern horror game youtubers.

I can't loving stand those two guys because like a week after Forbes came out with that "Pewdiepie makes a million dollars a day" all of a sudden one of them just started tweeting me like "hmmm, looks like we actually started this whole thing, what do you say slowbeef?" And not in a funny way, just like a wink wink nudge nudge thing.

It's like, do your own loving marketing and no, you didn't start jack poo poo (and you won't get a million dollars) See Game Center CX, 2003, etc etc etc.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

slowbeef posted:

I can't loving stand those two guys because like a week after Forbes came out with that "Pewdiepie makes a million dollars a day" all of a sudden one of them just started tweeting me like "hmmm, looks like we actually started this whole thing, what do you say slowbeef?" And not in a funny way, just like a wink wink nudge nudge thing.

It's like, do your own loving marketing and no, you didn't start jack poo poo (and you won't get a million dollars) See Game Center CX, 2003, etc etc etc.

Hahaha, jesus christ. I wonder just how many people are going to bother you claiming to be the 'originator' of LP and poo poo. You need to start a club. Get some "I Invented LP" jackets going.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Ya know, among all these horror based youtube LP'ers, the thing that gets me nowadays isn't so much the face cams or the over acting...it's just the limited selection of games they choose to do. Seriously, how many times can someone watch an LP of 'Five Nights at Freddy's' done? Even if it's different people doing it, it's a pretty limited game. I mean I guess it isn't really a new thing considering how long people rode out Slender and people want to try to emulate whatever is popular, but it's just a shame sometimes considering lesser known titles out there. I'll at least give people like Harshly or Cryaotic for reaching beyond the same four or five games, though it still seems like every LP'er has to have an LP of Undertale on their channel.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Finally, I think we found the first LPer. It's slowbeef. I'm glad the search is over.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 13, 2016

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Niggurath posted:

every LP'er has to have an LP of Undertale on their channel.

Dem views.

No, really, I put up a Genocide Run series and it was like higher than anything else I'd put on the channel that month.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
But what about that Awesome Incarnate guy? He wrote baldurk an e-mail and everything.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

slowbeef posted:

No, really, I put up a Genocide Run series and it was like higher than anything else I'd put on the channel that month.

What sickos

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

slowbeef posted:

Dem views.

Well it is a great game, and it's nice to find a turn based RPG that breaks that silly stigma of RPG's being bad for VLP's. It's just humorous in some regards to see how much such a niche title like Undertale is showing up in so many LP channels, but man, if only it also opened the door for more Space Funeral or OFF LP's too.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't think it's niche anymore. It has like, a million sales. Most of the big LPers(who've been late to the party but arrived just in time after the popularity explosion) have 2 million views or so a video. Its music videos/OST have 3 to 5 million views a piece. It really is the next big thing and if you're a youtuber you'd be dumb not to try and capitalize on it now while the views and money are still pouring. At this point I'd say more people than not have seen all endings but haven't even played it which is a shame given what you miss out on.
While I have seen LPs of similar games as a result (usually from the sorts of people interested in RPGMaker style games in general), stuff like Lisa or Off and so on's 15 minutes of fame are rather over by now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's still niche in the broad casual sense, but so is 99% of the games market.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Dem views.

Wow.

How much more attention does it need to get before you feel that its earned the privilege of a playlist though?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Evil Undertale Run falls pretty much exactly into the "we play it so you don't have to" niche, though. You'd have to be some kind of inhuman monster to play, uh...

...Exit stage left.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Can you give me some tips for beating Undyne in a Genocide run? The patterns are way too difficult for me.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I can't help you much with the DDR sections, that's basically all reaction speed. Memorize how the yellow arrows work since eventually that's all that'll spawn. Arrows will turn red to indicate which one you have to block next so trust those even if it doesn't seem like it.
As for the spear attacks, it's all about circular dodging. Except if the attack comes from the bottom in small box, at which point I'd suggest to move to the top, stop looking at your hitbox, and focus purely on which spears are coming up next and move accordingly.
For other attacks, there's 3 variations. A bunch of individual spears will spawn, so make small movements in an overall circle shape. A bunch of rotating spears will spawn around you in a circle; wait till they slow down and squeeze through then. And finally, a circle of spears will spawn around you and close in really quick on your last position, so you have to find the safespot and immediately dash out before they close in on you.
You want to dodge in an anti-clockwise circle, that way spears won't stack on top of each other or create impenetrable walls you can't get out of. Otherwise, get a bunch of cinnamon bunnies and try to attack as good as possible.

Tae posted:

It's still niche in the broad casual sense, but so is 99% of the games market.
Oh it's not like it's mobile or AAA tier, but looking at PC games, it's basically eclipsed other indies ('cept for breakout titles like Isaac), the latest yearly sequels (Assassin's Creed, Batman,etc... although I suppose those have way bigger audiences elsewhere), and crushed other turnbased RPGs (FF7 is barely ahead), and all this in 4 months compared to other titles. It's getting tons of coverage from even big outlets, heck IGN just joined the bandwagon with a 10/10 today.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Niggurath posted:

Ya know, among all these horror based youtube LP'ers, the thing that gets me nowadays isn't so much the face cams or the over acting...it's just the limited selection of games they choose to do. Seriously, how many times can someone watch an LP of 'Five Nights at Freddy's' done? Even if it's different people doing it, it's a pretty limited game. I mean I guess it isn't really a new thing considering how long people rode out Slender and people want to try to emulate whatever is popular, but it's just a shame sometimes considering lesser known titles out there. I'll at least give people like Harshly or Cryaotic for reaching beyond the same four or five games, though it still seems like every LP'er has to have an LP of Undertale on their channel.

This is my issue too. I'm not a huge horror game fan (not because I'm scared of them, but because along the lines of what you said every game is a slight variation on The Next Big Thing that month) and honestly I don't want to retread ground that's been covered here and elsewhere on SA a thousand times but honestly... honestly I think facecams actually bode well for good horror games as long as the LPer isn't a massive baby or pewdie rip off. I loved the addition of a facecam to Harshly's SOMA LP because when the game would pull out a weird twist or a character would say something peculiar it was actually more entertaining to see his reaction rather than just seeing the game come to a halt because he's paused to lean back in his chair and take in what just happened. Actually seeing those respites adds a sort of gravitas to his LP.

I mean, I understand why people dislike facecams but I personally watch LPs for the personality that someone brings and how they uniquely approach a game - if I want to see just the game I'd either play it or find a commentary-less playthrough/long play. So trying to find an LPer that checks all those boxes is tough, actually.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 13, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

HGH posted:

Oh it's not like it's mobile or AAA tier, but looking at PC games, it's basically eclipsed other indies ('cept for breakout titles like Isaac), the latest yearly sequels (Assassin's Creed, Batman,etc... although I suppose those have way bigger audiences elsewhere), and crushed other turnbased RPGs (FF7 is barely ahead), and all this in 4 months compared to other titles. It's getting tons of coverage from even big outlets, heck IGN just joined the bandwagon with a 10/10 today.

Eclipsed in publicity but Undertale did not outsell Creed, Batman, or probably even the 9th port of FF7 honestly. Critical praise doesn't mean it's mainstream, and media has a history of press making things bigger than they are.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
No, I was specifically referring to it outselling them on Steam, at least according to Steamspy. And there's a bunch more DRMless sales unaccounted for. EDIT: I completely failed to consider pricepoint though, ugh I'm an idiot sorry
I'm not trying to say it's mainstream. I guess I'm looking at this from the wrong angle really, and am just confused by its overexposure.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Undertale was one of those indie phenomena that happen every so often, a game that gets a LOT of traction through word-of-mouth, and then some more after the word gets around to the "specialized" media outlets. It's still niche, because it only made noise amongst the "hardcore" gamer crowd (in the sense that we are knowledgeable about more than the "big releases"), AND it only made noise in the US market for obvious reasons.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
I think another thing that makes Undertale well-suited for LPs is that it's full of a lot of these little 'whoa' moments and it's fun to watch other people's reactions to them, even after you've already fully played it yourself. An extension of that "oh you've got to see this!" urge to show things off to your friends, really.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Sundowner posted:

This is my issue too. I'm not a huge horror game fan (not because I'm scared of them, but because along the lines of what you said every game is a slight variation on The Next Big Thing that month) and honestly I don't want to retread ground that's been covered here and elsewhere on SA a thousand times but honestly... honestly I think facecams actually bode well for good horror games as long as the LPer isn't a massive baby or pewdie rip off. I loved the addition of a facecam to Harshly's SOMA LP because when the game would pull out a weird twist or a character would say something peculiar it was actually more entertaining to see his reaction rather than just seeing the game come to a halt because he's paused to lean back in his chair and take in what just happened. Actually seeing those respites adds a sort of gravitas to his LP.

Except with proper editing you'd just cut to the face when something like that happens instead of the lazy "plaster my face over part of the game the whole time" thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think it'd be more jarring than anything if it was done that way.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that would be even worse than having a facecam occupy part of the screen; instead you're just breaking the flow of the game specifically during moments where you really wouldn't want to break the flow of the game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Idran posted:

Yeah, that would be even worse than having a facecam occupy part of the screen; instead you're just breaking the flow of the game specifically during moments where you really wouldn't want to break the flow of the game.

I mean, if you're doing a personality-based LP, it could work, as long as you do the cuts as an "instant replay" type of thing, and resume the game video from where it stopped. For jumpscare games that would work perfectly, and for everything else, as long as you were careful about when and where to cut, it could do just fine. But it's way too much editing effort for something no one would give a gently caress about, let's be honest.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Procrastinator posted:

Except with proper editing you'd just cut to the face when something like that happens instead of the lazy "plaster my face over part of the game the whole time" thing.

Dias posted:

I mean, if you're doing a personality-based LP, it could work, as long as you do the cuts as an "instant replay" type of thing, and resume the game video from where it stopped. For jumpscare games that would work perfectly, and for everything else, as long as you were careful about when and where to cut, it could do just fine. But it's way too much editing effort for something no one would give a gently caress about, let's be honest.

That would be terrible. People don't NOT do that because it's an editing nightmare (because it isn't, really) people don't do that because it's a dumb idea basically. I mean it could work in a more realistic "show" type of arrangement, like if a person or group of people decided to go professional on it and make a show revolved around playing scary games on a couch but some random youtuber? Nah. It either has to be whole hog pro setup or just a bog standard facecam throughout - otherwise it would look extremely jilted and corny and take away more from the game than just slapping a face in the corner.

It is possible to have a facecam LP that both engages the viewer with a personality and shows off the game adequately. As long as you're not going into a facecam LP expecting to see a rigorous dissection of the videogame then it's pretty easy to enjoy them for what they are.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sundowner posted:

That would be terrible. People don't NOT do that because it's an editing nightmare (because it isn't, really) people don't do that because it's a dumb idea basically. I mean it could work in a more realistic "show" type of arrangement, like if a person or group of people decided to go professional on it and make a show revolved around playing scary games on a couch but some random youtuber? Nah. It either has to be whole hog pro setup or just a bog standard facecam throughout - otherwise it would look extremely jilted and corny and take away more from the game than just slapping a face in the corner.

It is possible to have a facecam LP that both engages the viewer with a personality and shows off the game adequately. As long as you're not going into a facecam LP expecting to see a rigorous dissection of the videogame then it's pretty easy to enjoy them for what they are.

Yeah, and that was exactly my point. If you are personality-based, you can get away with that sort of presentation, but it requires a different format and editing process (which is too much of a pain for most Youtubers, even if it's not that complicated). But most LPers just fire up the game, plug in the webcam and whatever happens, happens.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Dias posted:

Yeah, and that was exactly my point. If you are personality-based, you can get away with that sort of presentation, but it requires a different format and editing process (which is too much of a pain for most Youtubers, even if it's not that complicated). But most LPers just fire up the game, plug in the webcam and whatever happens, happens.

What, no. There are plenty of "personality based" LPs out there that feature just a standard facecam that aren't on the level with pewdie and friends. I feel like I'm leaning too heavily on him (but he is good!) but HarshlyCritical brings a personality to his LPs and yet he does horror facecam LPs that are really good despite falling under your "most LPers" category?

Plus calling it "personality based" is pretty dumb because even LPs on this site, including the more stern and informational ones all have a "personality" because there's still an individual behind every word said and every decision made in the process. This is why I don't get bothered by facecams because the whole concept of LP is already pretty silly and I'm watching them specifically because there's a potentially interesting person playing a game I might be curious about or sometimes better yet a game I never thought I'd be interested in suddenly becomes interesting because of the LPer. So the notion that a facecam is any weirder baffles me, it's just a natural extension of lathering raw footage of a video game with 30 minutes of your voice at a time. You need a certain amount of ego or at least to enjoy the sound of your own voice to keep doing LP at that level. Sure there are cases where someone does an LP because they want to show off the game and then they never do anything beyond that but youtubers in particular are usually already far past that point.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 13, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sundowner posted:

What, no. There are plenty of "personality based" LPs out there that feature just a standard facecam that aren't on the level with pewdie and friends. I feel like I'm leaning too heavily on him (but he is good!) but HarshlyCritical brings a personality to his LPs and yet he does horror facecam LPs that are really good?

Plus calling it "personality based" is pretty dumb because even LPs on this site, even the more stern and informational ones all have a "personality" because there's still an individual behind every word said and every decision made in the process. This is why I don't get bothered by facecams because the whole concept of LP is already pretty silly and I'm watching them specifically because there's a potentially interesting person playing a game I might be curious about or sometimes better yet a game I never thought I'd be interested in suddenly becomes interesting because of the LPer. So the notion that a facecam is any weirder baffles me, it's just a natural extension of lathering raw footage of a video game with 30 minutes of your voice at a time. You need a certain amount of ego or at least to enjoy the sound of your own voice to keep doing LP at that level. Sure there are cases where someone does an LP because they want to show off the game and then they never do anything beyond that but youtubers in particular are usually already far past that point.

what the gently caress are you arguing about dude I said nothing about facecams being bad or anything what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Dias posted:

what the gently caress are you arguing about dude I said nothing about facecams being bad or anything what

I know you're not saying they're bad. My post was addressing what you said about having to be a "personality based" LPer to "get away with" (your words) doing weird jilted cuts to reactions in horror games but I was just saying that all LPers are "personality based" and that cutting away to footage is dumb. I was basically bloody agreeing with you and just adding that the notion of "personality based" is kinda silly because every LP is just that.

• Locked thread