Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

computer parts posted:

It might be less profitable than LA, but it's more profitable than not having it and splitting the Bay Area market.

I think San Antonio might be the best bet right now though.

Would be funny if the Raiders moved to San Antonio. Texas would have teams in the west, south and east divisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Let's talk about myths. Myths are fun to say. Like St. Louis is a racist city, sure they've been in the news a lot. But really that's not the feeling I get when I visit there, then again I stay away from East St. Louis. But really the racism of Missouri, which is pretty legendary, is outside the city limits of St. Louis or KC. Racism exists everywhere but let's move on to some other myths.

-LA is a shithole. Everyone who visits LAX, gets caught in 405 traffic and looks at the neighborhoods around the 405 is like man LA is a shithole. I used to be one of those people. It isn't true but whatever. Even after you move here if you move into the wrong area like I did with Koreatown you can still think it's a shithole. The truth is it is diverse and huge and good and bad areas exist. You go up to someone from let's say Pasadena and you're like do you feel like you live in a shithole? No way man.

-LA is nothing but Kardashians who'd rather go to the beach than watch football. This one is infuriating. As if all 18 million people here are anything like that very very very small subgroup of people. Beach people are beach people, no football fan sits there and thinks huh should I watch football this morning or drive an hour to the beach and spend another hour looking for parking so I can sit in the sand in the winter because it's oh so fun. It's not. You're a surfer or beach person or you're not and you don't spend your winter weekends going to an overcast chilly beach when loving football is on.

-LA is all transplants with football allegiances to other teams. This is just lazy and dumb. Again 18 million people, the majority of which are born here. There are a lot of transplants but this hot take is usually done by either people who don't live in LA or transplants who hang out with other transplants. It's simply false.

-St. Louis Rams fans are die-hard fans who got screwed and lost their beloved team to a nasty money-hungry owner who sees the big lights of LA and got dazzled. Give me a break. This is the third NFL team to ditch St. Louis, the Rams played in LA for 49 years before they went to St. Louis and the Rams were LAST IN THE NFL in attendance. St. Louis has never really supported the Rams and it isn't like the Rams belong to St. Louis. I don't feel bad for them, if they're such victims let's see how quickly they would embrace the Cardinals ditching Phoenix and coming back to St. Louis, that would turn the tables in one second.

-LA fans won't support a team that doesn't win...

Okay this one is true. The Rams need to win, that's just the truth.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Just let St. Louis have the Chargers since they appear to actually want a NFL team, and let the Raiders go to LA.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Vertical Lime posted:

March 29th should be interesting

Send Reaves and Backes to Kroenke's box

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

kiimo posted:

-LA is a shithole. Everyone who visits LAX, gets caught in 405 traffic and looks at the neighborhoods around the 405 is like man LA is a shithole. I used to be one of those people. It isn't true but whatever. Even after you move here if you move into the wrong area like I did with Koreatown you can still think it's a shithole. The truth is it is diverse and huge and good and bad areas exist. You go up to someone from let's say Pasadena and you're like do you feel like you live in a shithole? No way man.

LA sucks because none of the "nice" places are affordable for anyone other than the top 1%. Unless you can afford a $2mm house (and have the income to support it), you'll be living in one of the "hellholes". I have lived all over this town and the story is always the same.

Anything fun in LA is ruined by the fact that a)there's WAY too many people b)there's no parking because there are too many people and c)it takes over an hour to get to anywhere because there are too many people.

LA simply has too many loving people. Sorry but LA is a toilet.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Who would Chargers fan root for if not the Chargers? They're still going to be the closest team...

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself

Volkerball posted:

if the NFL wanted two teams in LA, Carson was going to be the priority

This is a good point. Maybe Carson did have a chance over Inglewood. I have trouble getting over the financing aspect though. Kroenke had the money and was ready to break ground while Davis and Spanos were still figuring things out. Would the NFL really have chosen them over basically a done deal?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You sound bitter because you don't make enough money and hate crowds. That doesn't make it a toilet, it makes it the wrong city for you. I live in Studio City and I'm not a 1%, what are you even talking about.

edit: and a lot of the news people are reporting that Carson was never a serious option.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

kiimo posted:

You sound bitter because you don't make enough money and hate crowds. That doesn't make it a toilet, it makes it the wrong city for you. I live in Studio City and I'm not a 1%, what are you even talking about.

Certainly not the former, but definitely the latter. I really just don't see the appeal of this town on any level other than the weather, but to each his own.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If we ever get that GTA V story DLC I hope this is what it's about.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean, I'm not trying to derail but it's one of the few places where in less than two hours you can be in like five different climate zones. I personally ski a lot, go to wine country a lot, hike a lot and camp a lot. You don't get that in KC where I'm from. It's an 8 hour drive to Chicago which is largely the same.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

State and local politics would become even more hilarious.

If I am elected, we'll make it a priority to fix the offensive line!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
LA is poo poo full stop. It has way too many goddamned people and way too many wrong streets to turn down.

It's only redeeming factor is it's so lovely that people don't realize how lovely most of San Francisco is, because "at least it isn't LA."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kiimo posted:

I mean, I'm not trying to derail but it's one of the few places where in less than two hours you can be in like five different climate zones. I personally ski a lot, go to wine country a lot, hike a lot and camp a lot. You don't get that in KC where I'm from. It's an 8 hour drive to Chicago which is largely the same.

Finally someone to speak up for Los Angeles, one of America's hidden gems.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Here's my hot take

LA is poopy balls and everytime I watch someone from LA try to convince me otherwise I can almost see the nervous tic in their eyes as they painfully rationalize away all that sucks. Which is why they won't shut up about the weather, because the weather is probably the only true positive

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Nail Rat posted:

If I am elected, we'll make it a priority to fix the offensive line!

My opponent says he'll fix the offensive line, but if you look at his record we see draft after draft of SEC running backs. Vote for me for true Line Change.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

DariusLikewise posted:

We can either hire a few more police officers or re-sign Drew Brees

Drew Brees. No contest!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Kirios posted:

Just let St. Louis have the Chargers since they appear to actually want a NFL team, and let the Raiders go to LA.
"St. Louis Chargers" just doesn't sound right

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

DariusLikewise posted:

We can either hire a few more police officers or re-sign Drew Brees

Re-sign Drew Brees with a clause that he spends ten hours a week on patrol.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Febreeze posted:

Here's my hot take

LA is poopy balls and everytime I watch someone from LA try to convince me otherwise I can almost see the nervous tic in their eyes as they painfully rationalize away all that sucks. Which is why they won't shut up about the weather, because the weather is probably the only true positive

I haven't said a thing about the weather being a reason to live here, San Diego has better weather than LA anyway.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

OldHansMoleman posted:

This is a good point. Maybe Carson did have a chance over Inglewood. I have trouble getting over the financing aspect though. Kroenke had the money and was ready to break ground while Davis and Spanos were still figuring things out. Would the NFL really have chosen them over basically a done deal?

Carson had the Disney guy and Goldman Sachs in their corner, and the LA Relocation Commission voted in favor of the Carson deal 5-1 in the leadup to the actual vote. It's true it wasn't as "shovel-ready" as Inglewood, but it was done enough that finishing the project was just a formality if Carson got approved. And it should be mentioned that there's still a few hurdles that Inglewood has to face as well, like getting their FAA evaluation re-done.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

kiimo posted:

I haven't said a thing about the weather being a reason to live here, San Diego has better weather than LA anyway.

Is there something in your eye

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Just leave the roof off the stadium and have planes fly through it, problem solved.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Yea, Studio City w/ its 2k 1 bedroom apartments is super affordable.

LA is a hellhole. Southern California has nice spots, but LA is unplanned density run amok.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Whatever. New York is so awesome. /derail

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Let's just have the NFL get into the model where they are constantly blackmailing cities into building new stadiums every ten years and hopping around the world like circus acts when they don't.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

New York sucks too. Hope this helps.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Regardless of how nice and cool you think LA is, there's still the issue of affordability. I work in finance and make all the money, and a nice house (in a neighborhood where you would want to raise a family AND that isn't over an hour away from work) is still a decade away. In SD, I could buy today.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
NYC is great if you love the smell of stale piss every five blocks

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You can buy cheap in Inglewood but you better move quick.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

-LA is all transplants with football allegiances to other teams. This is just lazy and dumb. Again 18 million people, the majority of which are born here. There are a lot of transplants but this hot take is usually done by either people who don't live in LA or transplants who hang out with other transplants. It's simply false.

Even if everybody in LA is a transplant that doesn't think they'll care about the Rams, all it takes is a fairly successful season and a lot of them will turn around.

I know this is going to blow you guys away, but a whole lot of the Seahawks fans that I know in Seattle are transplants from the midwest and oversees. A lot of people hang on to their hometown teams, but just as many weren't that attached to begin with or didn't have a rooting interest for whatever reason.

tk fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 13, 2016

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

kiimo posted:

You can buy cheap in Inglewood but you better move quick.

You must have missed the neighborhood caveat

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I always thought sports teams should be publicly owned

so did baltimore, that's why the colts fled in the dead of night because maryland was about to eminent domain their asses

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
Just move the Chargers to Coachella and have them play on the polo grounds.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Febreeze posted:

Here's my hot take

If you get past the smog, sure.

LA sucks poo poo. The only cool cities are: Boston, Austin, Portland ME, Seattle, and Duluth.

edit: also, Baltimore.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

evilweasel posted:

so did baltimore, that's why the colts fled in the dead of night because maryland was about to eminent domain their asses

Wow sounds like they deserved what they got if they were trying to pull that poo poo

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

If you get past the smog, sure.

LA sucks poo poo. The only cool cities are: Boston, Austin, Portland ME, Seattle, and Duluth.

edit: also, Baltimore.
I don't see Chicago in there. List invalid.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Trast posted:

Let's just have the NFL get into the model where they are constantly blackmailing cities into building new stadiums every ten years and hopping around the world like circus acts when they don't.

I wonder what the new "we will move here unless we get a new stadium" city will be now that LA is taken.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DariusLikewise posted:

I wonder what the new "we will move here unless we get a new stadium" city will be now that LA is taken.

San Antonio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Long Beach owns

• Locked thread