Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am clearly not prepared for this at all. My mages cant even cast 3rd level spells, I guess I should grind a bit and come back. Sadly I picked up Kiven so I have a timer to deal with.

This is my first try at SCS and while I enjoy it, it makes the game require far more attention then I am used to. The ogre magi by Firewine Bridge took me like 5 tries and I think I only won due to a glitch where it stopped targeting my guys for like 30 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I loved that Bandit Camp fight! You really have to use tactics instead of the usual meathead approach of BG1. Find a nice choke point, tanks upfront and use every consumable you can (those fireball potions really made a difference) including any extra spell scrolls. I had to reload a few times but it was one of the most intense fights in SCS BG1.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, the SCS Bandit Camp is a lot of fun. Much better than the vanilla one, it shows how much a sensible call for help script can do. (Or one existing altogether in the case of BG1) Most of the enemies are fairly weak with poor saves, so any good AOE like Fireball is a huge advantage, especially if you can catch them in a couple of Web spells. If you don't have access to Fireball, the Necklace of Missiles from the Nashkel Carnival is a good substitute.

There's a very good choke-point on the western side of the camp, I used it in my current solo Ironman run. You can see it in the above screenshot where my character is standing, though I did most of my actual fighting at the pile of corpses just to the left.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Is that day 75 because of resting... a lot?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

You must gather your hitpoints before venturing forth.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah fireballs of whatever kind you can get are basically essential for the SCS bandit camp.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I did it! Had to do a bunch of sneak-n-kite attacks and some sleep/web/fireball spam, but it was satisfying still.

I have a sense that the spider Cloakeood map will suck.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

I did it! Had to do a bunch of sneak-n-kite attacks and some sleep/web/fireball spam, but it was satisfying still.

I have a sense that the spider Cloakeood map will suck.

It's already most peoples' least favourite area of the game, and with SCS spiders it just gets worse.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I don't remember the forest being that hard, in fact it didn't stand out at all. The fight at the end of the mines though, that poo poo was HARD! Took me like 10 reloads to get it right. In the end I just backstabbed the wizard and basically skipped the fight, hah.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Some how I have already cleared the spider map! I guess some part of SCS unlocked it early.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

Is that day 75 because of resting... a lot?

A bit, mainly because I use Rage a lot, plus a ton of travelling to and from High Hedge to identify and sell loot. That adds up really quick, especially once you've do everything except for the TOTSC content. Hunting down the 2 groups of assassins that SCS moves to those ambush areas took a while too, about 21 days IIRC. Since I'm doing an Ironman, I wanted to fight them on my terms, rather than when I'm totally unprepared and unrested.

Dyna Soar posted:

I don't remember the forest being that hard, in fact it didn't stand out at all. The fight at the end of the mines though, that poo poo was HARD! Took me like 10 reloads to get it right. In the end I just backstabbed the wizard and basically skipped the fight, hah.

Because for the most part, it really isn't. Potions of Freedom completely neuter the spiders, and if the Shadow Druids kill you then its your fault for picking a fight. (Amarande is legitimately tough though, no shame in dying to him) Davaeorn though, he's a really tough bastard. He's a level 11 Invoker, so he does tons of damage when the narrow corridors almost completely eliminate your ability to outrun fireballs. Strangely enough, I find it easier solo. Easier to dodge when you've got one guy moving at 4x speed, rather than a party six at 2x speed getting in each others way.

bongwizzard posted:

Some how I have already cleared the spider map! I guess some part of SCS unlocked it early.

Sounds like a BG2 Tweaks component, rather than SCS.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Ilyich posted:

Sounds like a BG2 Tweaks component, rather than SCS.

Yeah, there's a tweak that lets you reveal the first area or the whole forest pre-bandit camp raid.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

I am clearly not prepared for this at all. My mages cant even cast 3rd level spells, I guess I should grind a bit and come back. Sadly I picked up Kiven so I have a timer to deal with.

This is my first try at SCS and while I enjoy it, it makes the game require far more attention then I am used to. The ogre magi by Firewine Bridge took me like 5 tries and I think I only won due to a glitch where it stopped targeting my guys for like 30 seconds.

If you're talking about the Ogre Mage that is stuck in the woman's bottle in the valley by Firewine then congratulations, that's generally considered to be one of the hardest fights in BG1 SCS.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

rakovsky maybe posted:

If you're talking about the Ogre Mage that is stuck in the woman's bottle in the valley by Firewine then congratulations, that's generally considered to be one of the hardest fights in BG1 SCS.

Hah, no poo poo? Like I said, it was not a fair fight, he stopped casting and attacking for like 30 seconds and I was able to pin cushion him with every magic arrow I had. I wish I had a save right before then so I could try it again fair.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
SCS Kahrk is a dick:

Effective Thac0: 6
103 HP
Lvl 12 Ogre Mage
19 STR
Protection from Magical Weapons, Shadow Door, Stoneskin, Globe of Invulnerability, Fireshield, Haste, Confusion, Remove Magic, Mirror Image ......
4/3/3/5/2 Saves

edit: and Hanzo steel

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 13, 2016

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

fong posted:

It's already most peoples' least favourite area of the game, and with SCS spiders it just gets worse.

Heh

One guy over in the PoE thread finds the Maze, instead, to be so bad he'd rather quit the game entirely than just skip to the Undercity.

I guess I just don't get the logic of getting a game to 99% completion and then throwing it away because I dislike one map.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Kahrk is best left until after the Cloakwood Mines, and if you go after him too early it can easily come down to luck (or using all your consumables). Can be fun, though.

Dyna Soar posted:

Davaeorn is a weird fight for me; I don't have a lot of problems with him in general, but then I also remember at least one time when four people just died against him.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Wizard Styles posted:

Davaeorn is a weird fight for me; I don't have a lot of problems with him in general, but then I also remember at least one time when four people just died against him.

If his "teleport around and cast area effect spells" scripts works, it really works. But I've definitely fought him where he teleported all over but never cast any spells so I was able to just plink away at him with ranged weapons.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I just killed Davaeorn by casting "Silence 15' Radius" into the FOW and nailed him. He never even got to make his speech. This is working out to be a easy run.

He mopped the floor with me for like 6 tries. I came really close once, but he chugged a potion and webbed my last two standing guys. I didn't think the Silence spell would work, I just tried it out of frustration.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good guide to spells? SCS is kicking my rear end and I need to make smarter use of my casters.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/Main.htm is good but I don't know how much SCS changed.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Some spells that you might forget even exist playing the game unmodded can occasionally save you with SCS and other mods installed. Detect Invisibility, for example, because of its near-instant casting speed.

Also, enemy mages have more protections even if you don't allow maximum pre-buffing, and that becomes more and more important as they gain access to precast Stoneskin, Contingencies and so on.

But generally, what works for vanilla will work for SCS.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 15, 2016

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Here's a helpful google Doc outlining what counters what for spell protection removers in SCS: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y7r2Z3FfZk74NdAVHuZuiNmWh14y1tAytNrsFMSY7zc/edit#gid=0

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Entropy238 posted:

Here's a helpful google Doc outlining what counters what for spell protection removers in SCS: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y7r2Z3FfZk74NdAVHuZuiNmWh14y1tAytNrsFMSY7zc/edit#gid=0

This is very nice and useful. Major SCS difference is that Spell Protections in SCS protect against Breach, so to successfully breach a combat protected target you have to remove their spell protections. The other major difference is that Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility (but Breach doesn't).

Classic example is a mage protected by Pro Magic Weapons, Stoneskin, Pro Magic Energy, etc. and in addition Spell Immunity Divination, Spell Immunity Abjuration, Improved Invisibility, and Spell Turning.

You can't cast breach, because he is Improved Invisible. You can't dispel Invisibility because of SI: D, and can't Dispel Magic because of SI: A.

Instead, you cast Spell Thrust to remove SI: A and SI: D, then your previously cast True Sight will dispel Improved Invis, after which you can cast Secret Word to remove Spell Turning and finally Breach to remove Combat protections.

Thus it at least 3 separate castings (not counting True Sight) to take down a fully spell protected enemy in SCS, although a good shortcut is to dispel the Invisibility via the Thief ability then cast Secret Word and Breach.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

amanasleep posted:

This is very nice and useful. Major SCS difference is that Spell Protections in SCS protect against Breach, so to successfully breach a combat protected target you have to remove their spell protections. The other major difference is that Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility (but Breach doesn't).

Classic example is a mage protected by Pro Magic Weapons, Stoneskin, Pro Magic Energy, etc. and in addition Spell Immunity Divination, Spell Immunity Abjuration, Improved Invisibility, and Spell Turning.

You can't cast breach, because he is Improved Invisible. You can't dispel Invisibility because of SI: D, and can't Dispel Magic because of SI: A.

Instead, you cast Spell Thrust to remove SI: A and SI: D, then your previously cast True Sight will dispel Improved Invis, after which you can cast Secret Word to remove Spell Turning and finally Breach to remove Combat protections.

Thus it at least 3 separate castings (not counting True Sight) to take down a fully spell protected enemy in SCS, although a good shortcut is to dispel the Invisibility via the Thief ability then cast Secret Word and Breach.

I'd always wished that they had made Ruby Ray of Reversal (Level 7, I think?) more useful for mage fighing... granted, mostly because of the cool alliterative name.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

I'd always wished that they had made Ruby Ray of Reversal (Level 7, I think?) more useful for mage fighing... granted, mostly because of the cool alliterative name.

There was some talk of it canceling transmutation effects in the early days of SCS but it never happened. As it is it's still the cheapest way to deal with Spell Trap.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

amanasleep posted:

There was some talk of it canceling transmutation effects in the early days of SCS but it never happened. As it is it's still the cheapest way to deal with Spell Trap.

Oh yeah, it does work on that. I had forgotten.

Now I want to make up some spells called Emerald Echo of Entropy and Sapphire Sphere of Sundering...

I clearly have too much free time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Oh yeah, it does work on that. I had forgotten.

Now I want to make up some spells called Emerald Echo of Entropy and Sapphire Sphere of Sundering...

I clearly have too much free time.

Nah, you're on the right track. Ruby is indeed referencing the gem; it was created by the famous Faerūnian archmage Nezram the World-Walker, who is especially notable for his gem magics. Other spells he created include Nezram's Amethyst Aura, Nezram's Emerald Energy Sphere, and Nezram's Sapphire Screen of Shielding.

edit: His spellbook is also where Spell Trap comes from, so it only makes sense it would easily dispel it.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 15, 2016

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Has anyone had a bug in BG2EE where one of your party members constantly goes into dialogue mode when you're moving your party around? I've got Korgan in my party and can't get them across an area without him stopping and shouting his phrases over and over. It doesn't seem to happen when he is isolated from the rest of the party. It's odd and kind of obnoxious.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

bongwizzard posted:

Thanks guys.
Btw, the changes to spells amanasleep mentions are fully optional; if you don't know which ones you've got installed you can check your weidu log, SCS is highly modular so it's easy to track these things using just the log.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 15, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

OregonDonor posted:

Has anyone had a bug in BG2EE where one of your party members constantly goes into dialogue mode when you're moving your party around? I've got Korgan in my party and can't get them across an area without him stopping and shouting his phrases over and over. It doesn't seem to happen when he is isolated from the rest of the party. It's odd and kind of obnoxious.
If it's just Korgan there's probably one specific dialogue that should fire but can't.

Did you solve his quest? Does it happen in all areas? Also, did this start happening after you added a new party member?

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I did solve his quest and it does seem to happen everywhere. You know, I don't think it did, but I recently added Edwin to the party, so it's possible.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Mazzy was doing the same to me with Valygar 2 days ago. I kicked her out, or maybe both, and took her/them back and it stopped.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
A side effect of SCS's SI: Divination/SI: Abjuration/Improved Invisibility/Spell Trap fuckery is that the thief's Detect illusions ability becomes really good because it can take down invisibility when the subject has spell immunity (including the improved invisible effect that makes things untargetable with spells).

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I found a solution online to having one of your npcs spam their dialogue while they are near your party using these two links:
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/33181/known-7190-dialogue-loop-keldorn-again
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/24300/clua-console-for-bg2ee

It works for BG2EE and I imagine it probably does for the other EE games. That bug was obnoxious.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Any ideas why my Morte has -4 attack on his character sheet? Dakkon is +5 and TNO and Annah are both +1.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Any ideas why my Morte has -4 attack on his character sheet? Dakkon is +5 and TNO and Annah are both +1.

His str is low isn't it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Morte's main advantage is that nothing hurts him and he has special abilities that force people to attack him instead of other people. Don't worry too much about the damage he deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Once I had that second teeth upgrade in him, he was hitting surprisingly hard! Morte saved my rear end more than once.