Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Suppose that's one way to encourage branching out in the number of characters...

Hmm, I think I read a dev post saying they'd look into that level/Power range for GW though, it might be set too high currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

What is the retreat stuff for galactic war? Is that force closing the fight or is there literally a button that says retreat that I am too retarded to see?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

BadLlama posted:

What is the retreat stuff for galactic war? Is that force closing the fight or is there literally a button that says retreat that I am too retarded to see?

There's a retreat option in the top left meny button, but it only appears after you let the enemy have 1 turn to go at it.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Pimpmust posted:

Suppose that's one way to encourage branching out in the number of characters...

Hmm, I think I read a dev post saying they'd look into that level/Power range for GW though, it might be set too high currently.

Sure, but sheer numbers won't help, they need to be leveld up (not cheap) and geared to be more than cannon fodder.

BadLlama posted:

Press the menu button during your turn. Will cleanse buffs/debuffs on everyone and reset turn meters.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Pimpmust posted:

There's a retreat option in the top left meny button, but it only appears after you let the enemy have 1 turn to go at it.

Well tickle my butthole, alright then.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
The basic strategy is to send in some 2nd tier guys/scrubs to eat the enemy alpha strike and taunts. Maybe do a little damage but that's secondary. Then send in your first string. All of the enemy powers will be on cooldown. Additionally, you can retreat your first team once the enemy is down to a single, optimally weakest team member, send back in the scrubs and heal them up and advance cooldown timers for people who need it.

The force restart thing is primarily a way to work around bad luck.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Yeah the force close thing is great for when the enemy dodges like four times in a row or actually gets its poo poo together and focuses down one of your dudes.

Just keep in mind that you'll need to either change your strategy or your team otherwise everything will happen again exactly the same way. Interestingly I had one yesterday where my Resistance Pilot and an enemy Resistance Pilot apparently had the same speed or whatever because in a couple of restarts it would vary a bit because it was a toss up which one would go first which would alter how the enemy behaved.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Davethulhu posted:

The basic strategy is to send in some 2nd tier guys/scrubs to eat the enemy alpha strike and taunts. Maybe do a little damage but that's secondary. Then send in your first string. All of the enemy powers will be on cooldown. Additionally, you can retreat your first team once the enemy is down to a single, optimally weakest team member, send back in the scrubs and heal them up and advance cooldown timers for people who need it.

The force restart thing is primarily a way to work around bad luck.

I force restart is Lumi's opening special misses Sidious, every loving time.

Jibo posted:

Yeah the force close thing is great for when the enemy dodges like four times in a row or actually gets its poo poo together and focuses down one of your dudes.

Just keep in mind that you'll need to either change your strategy or your team otherwise everything will happen again exactly the same way. Interestingly I had one yesterday where my Resistance Pilot and an enemy Resistance Pilot apparently had the same speed or whatever because in a couple of restarts it would vary a bit because it was a toss up which one would go first which would alter how the enemy behaved.

You can just change-up the order your A-team is on the roster and that works. I generally just target a diff dude, though.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It's evident the game uses a RNG Seed (as in, all rolls are generated pre battle and then doled out in the exact same order), but you *can* try carrying out almost the same orders (if you notice certain moves working up to a point when the AI shits on you) and then say, hit someone else. Mostly something to try out with force close though.

The "send the B/C team in to trigger enemy specials/taunts" doesn't always work, I've found if the team is considered too weak by the AI it will not always use specials, and sometime just go to town with basics - and if they are strong enough (As they will be at lvl 50+) they can mop up your team without you causing any/little damage - or in Sids case, actually heal up as the chaff is killed off.

So it's not a 100% thing.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

I believe that the retreat option should be removed from galactic war. I do not think that it is within the spirit of the game and that it is a form of cheating the game against its design. People who use this option have no real skill at the game and are receiving undeserved rewards as a result.

Do you agree? What do you think?

P.S. I'm lvl 60 - never used retreat option and I am still to get my first completion. I will not cheat the game

:captainpop:

I love the official forums (what is up with their obsession around "cheating"? Are they all 12 years old? ...probably yes).

I honestly don't understand this line of thought. It's an option in the game that the devs added. You think they added it by mistake? How do you think the retreat button should work? Seems pretty clear to me that it's working as intended.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
What does force closing do in GW that retreat doesn't do? Just restarts the whole battle?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Retreat retains cooldown status, damage, deaths etc.

A force close is as if you never started the fight.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

heh, you think you can withstand the power of my solarbeam?

Pimpmust posted:

The "send the B/C team in to trigger enemy specials/taunts" doesn't always work, I've found if the team is considered too weak by the AI it will not always use specials, and sometime just go to town with basics - and if they are strong enough (As they will be at lvl 50+) they can mop up your team without you causing any/little damage - or in Sids case, actually heal up as the chaff is killed off.

So it's not a 100% thing.

Very true, your fodder team SHOULD have 1 or 2 guys leveled enough to take a few shots or you'll just get basic'd down. I like that the AI is smart enough to realize sending in your green lvl 25 Ewok and 26 Royal Guard is not going to scratch the lvl 60 purple 55+ team and not to waste Demoralizing Blows one-shotting them.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I know this is star wars, but star trek timelines launch on Android an hour or two ago. Join us in the Android games thread until we get a fleet up in a bit.

As for content in this game. I'm sold on getting akbar. I was going to save arena tokens for new heroes but him being able to dispel healing debuffs might make him a must have soon.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Zotix posted:

I know this is star wars, but star trek timelines launch on Android an hour or two ago. Join us in the Android games thread until we get a fleet up in a bit.

As for content in this game. I'm sold on getting akbar. I was going to save arena tokens for new heroes but him being able to dispel healing debuffs might make him a must have soon.

Oh, thanks for the heads up. I'll d/l it now. Someone should create a thread for it. Also, I'm on ios, but I assume we can all play together, right?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

commish posted:

I honestly don't understand this line of thought. It's an option in the game that the devs added. You think they added it by mistake? How do you think the retreat button should work? Seems pretty clear to me that it's working as intended.

And all it gets you in GW is weakened guys as far as I can tell, since the only thing that nullifies the battle is the force close trick/exploit.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Zotix posted:

Oh cool, I just opened him (yes, I was weak and opened a chromium 4-pack - also got 2* Fisto - stupid p2w champs). I'm still going to get Sid to 7 first, but, glad to know what I'm doing after that.

Also, you know Ewok Elder does this too, right? However, I think he's improperly coded (or worded). His heal ability says it removes ALL debuffs from ALL allies, but instead it just removes 1 from each. However, that's still a pretty powerful ability, plus he has a revive (and his heal has a chance to revive).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Coffeehitler posted:

And all it gets you in GW is weakened guys as far as I can tell, since the only thing that nullifies the battle is the force close trick/exploit.

it also clears debuffs which can be worth it over a bit of damage.

And if you have the right speed match-ups you can pop in and take out certain opponents, then retreat and do it again.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got 3 full characters from Bronzium pulls in the past 2 days. Wasn't anybody great, just a Jedi Guardian, Coruscant Police, and Datcha, but at least I have 5 dudes to run the Healer/support challenge now.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

To all you Vader owners, what are you pairing him with for maximum effect? Finally unlocked him and had enough gear around to gear VI him right away and level him. I know he's not Arena-worthy since he's *capped but I'd like to fit him into a solid GW B-team. I figure Sid is an obvious combo for Culling Blade what who else, IG-88?

commish
Sep 17, 2009

oops wrong forum posted:

To all you Vader owners, what are you pairing him with for maximum effect? Finally unlocked him and had enough gear around to gear VI him right away and level him. I know he's not Arena-worthy since he's *capped but I'd like to fit him into a solid GW B-team. I figure Sid is an obvious combo for Culling Blade what who else, IG-88?

I used Vader in my Arena team for a while, and he's still arena worthy imo. He works well with 88, but really he works well with anyone. His aoe is pretty strong with the dots, and he can ability block jedi nonstop.

Edit: A Poe/FOTP team just killed my entire team before I could do a single attack. Daka stunned two people, and FOTP just followed up everyone else's attack (or buff, as it were) with insane crits. It was magical.

commish fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 13, 2016

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

FYI cap increase is supposed to go through tomorrow afternoon, so maybe sit on your energy and dailies until then if you're at 60.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

oops wrong forum posted:

FYI cap increase is supposed to go through tomorrow afternoon, so maybe sit on your energy and dailies until then if you're at 60.

Got a source for that?

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Hughlander posted:

Got a source for that?

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/5949/the-level-70-cap-increase-is-coming

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
http://imgur.com/a/XFsVR

3 of my last 4 GW's. The 4th and 3rd to last were a giant pain in the dick, but after that it was pretty easy. I don't even think I force closed once in that last battle.

Dooku is loving overpowered as poo poo, though. Once I'd gotten to the point where the only Dookus I'd been seeing were 4*, I could either save them for last or stun with Daka then delete them. Now that I'm seeing them at 6*, they're making it very difficult to get through GW without save scumming to the point of ridiculousness.

If it was just Dooku I had to deal with, it'd be fine, but I'm having him and Daka stun half my team on the first turn, only to have my own 6* Daka whiff on the stun or the hit itself. I've got a decent meat shield team of Vader, Chewie, JG, and 2 random garbage guys to soak up cooldowns at the start of the match, so it's not entirely insurmountable, but drat close. 4 straight Dooku/Daka/Sid teams at 6*/7* would be impossible.

Also, I'm super happy I haven't seen FOTP like I'm seeing Dookus. I faced a Poe/FOTP/IG88 team in Arena, and it was loving infuriating.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Ugh, this game is the worst sometimes. I'm starting my arena run (resets in an hour), there appears to have been a recent power spike in the top 50 (for the first time in a week, I was bumped below rank 50 - I finished rank 7 23 hours ago). Anyways, I'm one laptop away from getting Luke to G VII, and one shard away from getting JC to 5 stars...and it already costs 200/400 crystals for more energy. Everyone around me is in the 16-18k power range, which is where I'm at, but, I've been having a hard time clearing with my crew lately (Sid, Luke, Lumi, JC, R. Pilot). The power spike from one laptop and one shard would make such a big difference right now...

e: also, Lumi is 7 shards from 6*...and I have 800 GW monies right now

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 14, 2016

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Malgrin posted:

Ugh, this game is the worst sometimes. I'm starting my arena run (resets in an hour), there appears to have been a recent power spike in the top 50 (for the first time in a week, I was bumped below rank 50 - I finished rank 7 23 hours ago). Anyways, I'm one laptop away from getting Luke to G VII, and one shard away from getting JC to 5 stars...and it already costs 200 crystals for more energy. Everyone around me is in the 16-18k power range, which is where I'm at, but, I've been having a hard time clearing with my crew lately (Sid, Luke, Lumi, JC, R. Pilot). The power spike from one laptop and one shard would make such a big difference right now...

e: also, Lumi is 7 shards from 6*

How many more crystals do you think you could win if you had those pieces? Subtract that from the 200 you'd spend for energy.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

oops wrong forum posted:

How many more crystals do you think you could win if you had those pieces? Subtract that from the 200 you'd spend for energy.

Oh, totally, I've been sinking 300 crystals into Squad Cantina, and 300 into missions daily from some crystals I bought just so that I can progress faster...the extra 200/400 JUST for the arena bonus isn't worth it...just super frustrating to be that close. Also, the last energy refill I did, I got one laptop from....

e: In addition to spending crystals on energy, I would probably also need to spend crystals on arena attempts to break into the ranks where crystals go up fast...so...not really worth it today. Tomorrow could be a very good day for me for arena though.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Malgrin posted:

Oh, totally, I've been sinking 300 crystals into Squad Cantina, and 300 into missions daily from some crystals I bought just so that I can progress faster...the extra 200/400 JUST for the arena bonus isn't worth it...just super frustrating to be that close. Also, the last energy refill I did, I got one laptop from....

e: In addition to spending crystals on energy, I would probably also need to spend crystals on arena attempts to break into the ranks where crystals go up fast...so...not really worth it today. Tomorrow could be a very good day for me for arena though.

Good for you, this game is designed to leech the impatient! There's always tomorrow is something I tell myself constantly.....

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

oops wrong forum posted:

Good for you, this game is designed to leech the impatient! There's always tomorrow is something I tell myself constantly.....

Made it to rank 18 anyways, with 30 seconds to spare...pretty happy about that. If I'd started a little early, gotten that extra shard and laptop, and spent 50 on Arena, I might've broken top 10 again...

Also, I got just enough energy to do one more try, picked up a laptop, with the extra upgrades I could immediately do at 7, worked out to be about a 400 power gain. From my own testing (not enough for statistical significance yet), it seems like the lightside mission 5-F has a higher laptop droprate than 6-J. I figured higher level would mean higher droprate, but, again, needs more testing to figure out if there's even anything there.

I'm guessing 5* on a G VII JC would be at least 500 power points on a JC? Also, if I level up JC in the next hour, will that additional power show on my arena team if someone attacks me, or do I have to attack with my arena team before I get that power boost?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Zotix posted:

For some weird reason i kept reading this thread exactly for this reason, waiting for zotix to let me know Star Trek is out, but i noticed something else really hosed about SW, that the later you started, the more time and harder it is to advance in arena and GW When they raise the cap to 80 if a new player doesn't get into a new group, they'll see top 200 in arena in twice the time it took someone pre cap raise.

Edit: drat, still not out for me.

Also Ularg, character level?

OxMan fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 14, 2016

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I have the level, I have the materials, I have the credits. What's keeping me from upgrading this skill? And why doesn't it tell me?

I'm absolutely loving my new bullshit team of bullshit. Phasma, Geonosian Soldier, First order tie pilot, darth sidious and the starting Jedi healer or another DPS to add onto that.

Edit: Oh, and I don't know how I managed to get ranked #1305 in the arena, but I did. I've killed too many Dookus.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Ularg posted:

I have the level, I have the materials, I have the credits. What's keeping me from upgrading this skill? And why doesn't it tell me?

I'm absolutely loving my new bullshit team of bullshit. Phasma, Geonosian Soldier, First order tie pilot, darth sidious and the starting Jedi healer or another DPS to add onto that.

Edit: Oh, and I don't know how I managed to get ranked #1305 in the arena, but I did. I've killed too many Dookus.

Scroll down on the mats, there's a third one you can't see.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Kegslayer posted:

Scroll down on the mats, there's a third one you can't see.

God damnit I'm too dumb for videogames. Take all electronics away from me.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I managed to beat the last guy and beat my galactic war low level call in buddy assist droid and bug dude pulling leah and other massive basic attack guys did it. I beat down the chewy with 5 level 20 people so slowly.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

OxMan posted:

For some weird reason i kept reading this thread exactly for this reason, waiting for zotix to let me know Star Trek is out, but i noticed something else really hosed about SW, that the later you started, the more time and harder it is to advance in arena and GW When they raise the cap to 80 if a new player doesn't get into a new group, they'll see top 200 in arena in twice the time it took someone pre cap raise.

Edit: drat, still not out for me.

Also Ularg, character level?

I think it segregates everyone into groups based around install date.

Fallorn posted:

I managed to beat the last guy and beat my galactic war low level call in buddy assist droid and bug dude pulling leah and other massive basic attack guys did it. I beat down the chewy with 5 level 20 people so slowly.

I've read this post like 4 times and I still can't make heads or tails of it. Come again?

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Ularg posted:

God damnit I'm too dumb for videogames. Take all electronics away from me.

Na it's a bad interface design, I did the same thing until a week ago wondering why we needed lvl 3 Ability mats when they were never used. Should all be in the same box nice and neat

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Mooktastical posted:

I've read this post like 4 times and I still can't make heads or tails of it. Come again?

Geonosian soldier using his ability to call an ally and IG-86 ability to call an ally with Phasma as the lead making it so Leah would attack more often or Cad Bane/Tarkin would attack and do massive damage. If my FOTP was geared/stared up I would use him but he is not. The call a friend meant I did +25% more attacks than normal and Leia can proc on each hit of her multiattack.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Fallorn posted:

Geonosian soldier using his ability to call an ally and IG-86 ability to call an ally with Phasma as the lead making it so Leah would attack more often or Cad Bane/Tarkin would attack and do massive damage. If my FOTP was geared/stared up I would use him but he is not. The call a friend meant I did +25% more attacks than normal and Leia can proc on each hit of her multiattack.

Oh ok. A few more commas wouldn't kill you, but I understand now.

Leia and FOTP are retarded with Phasma's leadership ability. My Leia is only 2*, and FOTP 3*, so I haven't used them too much in Arena, but they're super helpful in GW to either save as a clean up crew, or assassinate a particularly annoying squishy.

I'm really hoping they add one of those two to the cantina battles. I'd love to be able to add a multi attacker to my Phasma line up and have them actually be viable. They do need to fix Leia's passive, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Mooktastical posted:

Man I hope so for their sake because i remember when i started playing you could break 500 in your high 30s low 40s but now I see posts of people at that level being way way lower. I was basically F2P mode too, and never spent crystals on energy refills.

• Locked thread