Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not this time. This exchange rate is wrecking a lot of things :(

Tell me about it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
Good thing you got 21 watchwork mining picks. You should recoup your investment just before Guild Wars 437 launches.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Not mine sadly :( I wish I had that much disposable income to throw at GW2. My napkin math says that is at least $500 worth of gems.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mike12345 posted:

Man, gliding is lame now. No more guesstimating against network latency. Pffrt. Hope the casuals are happy.

I know right, casuals always getting their way, maybe they should just get better internet *sips dew smugly*

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Laphroaig posted:

Not mine sadly :( I wish I had that much disposable income to throw at GW2. My napkin math says that is at least $500 worth of gems.

Why be sad? I look at that and feel so much better about myself. You don't get to that point in life without a history of bad decisions.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Guest2553 posted:

Why be sad? I look at that and feel so much better about myself. You don't get to that point in life without a history of bad decisions.

Yeah seriously, that picture is nothing to be envious about.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

He/she probably bought into star citizen too

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

CLAM DOWN posted:

He/she probably bought into star citizen too

Like looking in a mirror eh?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UchihaHirou posted:

Like looking in a mirror eh?

Hey man I made a profit off that mess

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

"Gliding in Central Tyria posted:

Gliding in Central Tyria

by Crystin Cox on 13th January, 2016

When gliding was first being prototyped for Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™, the entire dev team fell in love with the fun and freedom of soaring through the trees in the jungle. We knew gliding was going to be a big part of the expansion, and we worked hard to make the tall trees and towering ravines of the Heart of Maguuma glider friendly. But it wasn’t long before we started asking ourselves what it would be like to glide around Mount Maelstrom, or between the streets of Divinity’s Reach. Of course we tried it right away, and while it was fun, it wasn’t ready for mass consumption. We needed to focus on finishing gliding and all the other Masteries for Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns‘ launch, so we set aside gliding in Central Tyria—but it wasn’t forgotten. Now that we’ve had some time to think about lands that aren’t covered in poison vines and pocket raptors, we’re almost ready to bring gliders to all corners of Tyria, and we can’t wait to share it with all of you!

How Gliding in Central Tyria Works

Once gliding in Central Tyria is released, anyone who has completed or later completes the Basic Gliding Mastery will be able to deploy their glider in not only the Heart of Maguuma maps, but in any open-world map in Central Tyria as well. If you’ve unlocked other gliding Masteries like Lean Techniques or Advanced Gliding, these will also function in Central Tyria. Gliders will not be able to be used in Central Tyria story instances or dungeons (including the Fractals of the Mists). Instanced content and dungeons created before Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns were just not designed to handle gliding, so we’ll be keeping you out of the sky in these instances. You may also encounter areas in the open world that are No-Fly Zones. If you glide into one of these areas, you’ll get a warning. If you don’t turn back, eventually your glider will collapse and you’ll fall. These zones have been set up around sensitive areas like the ends of jumping puzzles to prevent skipping content. Of course, what’s the point of having the glider if you can’t use it? So we’ve used the No-Fly Zones very sparingly.

Gliding Where No Glider Has Gone Before

It will come as no surprise that the maps in Central Tyria were not designed with gliding in mind. It would have been very time consuming to redesign all the Central Tyria maps to add verticality, updrafts, and ley lines, and we wouldn’t want to. Each Central Tyrian map has a great story and design of its own, and we have no desire to turn the entire game into the Heart of Maguuma. We love the freedom that comes with gliding and wanted to bring that feeling to maps we already love. We’ve made some small changes here and there, but for the most part, you’ll find Central Tyria just as you left it—but you’ll have a much greater ability to explore and move through these familiar zones. These new freedoms might allow you to get to places in these maps we did not originally intend you to see. As long as your explorations remain harmless, it’s all part of the fun!

We hope gliding in Central Tyria gives you the opportunity to rediscover your favorite map. See you in (the skies of) Tyria!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I can't wait to glide around DR, the best city

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So they legit don't care of we break around the maps, just so long as we don't cheat our way to chests and poo poo it's all cool.

That's really loving cool, but let's wait and see how long that lasts.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Did they ever release any other gem store gathering tools that give something extra like the Clockwork Mining Pick gives sprockets or are there any versions of the other tools that are better in some way than the others? I heard there's an herb gathering tool that finishes much faster than the normal one, but I'd rather get one that gives extra stuff if possible.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Did they ever release any other gem store gathering tools that give something extra like the Clockwork Mining Pick gives sprockets or are there any versions of the other tools that are better in some way than the others? I heard there's an herb gathering tool that finishes much faster than the normal one, but I'd rather get one that gives extra stuff if possible.

Having the gathering flute, I can attest that it takes only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the channeling bar to actually gather, and if you animation cancel (by moving or drawing your weapons) you can harvest at what feels like light-speed.

I don't think any other endless tools provide any bennies, though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm so relieved someone else has admitted to having the flutes, I thought I was the only one.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

the consortium sickle also harvests faster i believe

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
So much for gliding through Troll's Revenge.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

knowonecanknow posted:

So much for gliding through Troll's Revenge.

I hope that, if you deploy your glider inside the bounds of Troll's Revenge, Gnashblade appears through a portal and shoots a hole in your glider with a BLTC-skinned pistol and laughs at you.

... it would fit the spirit of the puzzle to a tee.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm so relieved someone else has admitted to having the flutes, I thought I was the only one.

The flutes are the best

Sprite141 posted:

So they legit don't care of we break around the maps, just so long as we don't cheat our way to chests and poo poo it's all cool.

I imagine they'll put up no-fly zones around areas where you can break the maps in exceptionally dumb/harmful ways.

It's a shame about fractals, I'd kill to have a glider when I have to run the Uncategorized one.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

If they were really spiteful they'd allow them in the underwater fractal only

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Sprite141 posted:

Is there really that much potential to break stuff? Most of the maps are pretty flat overall, aren't they?

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Kassad posted:

Is there really that much potential to break stuff? Most of the maps are pretty flat overall, aren't they?

I can already break out of about 90 percent of the maps without gliding, so this will probably just make it a bit easier unless they added some invisible walls here and there but it sounds like they didn't.

Also maps are prettier when you break out of them.

NapoleonAtWaterloo fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 13, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah it's not hard to break maps and get to interesting places. You can get on top of most of DR if you bug underneath it then log out in the right spot, there's some really pretty views up there.

The fact that there's just a vast ocean underneath all of existence reminds me of Dark Souls - it's implied that the entire world exists in the boughs of a ton of massive trees that grow up from a vast lake. Ash Lake is a really drat cool zone, getting 'underneath' the world like that is really awesome

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 13, 2016

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

SFD hit lvl 50, the crystal thingy is getting a bit less wonky.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Visidan posted:

SFD hit lvl 50, the crystal thingy is getting a bit less wonky.

I hope it turns into a raid boss at level 100 that kicks us all out of the ghall each time we enter it unless we feed it a stack of butter and salt. It's like having a guardian Arus for the guild hall that is useless for anything other than a garbage chute, kind of like the real one.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

gently caress YES GLIDING EVERYWHERE. Or at least, in my case, less dying from falling off things because I'd forgotten I can't glide there.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So the strongest thing in the raid isn't some horrific creature from the netherworld, but rather a human female engineer.

Makes sense.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

mike12345 posted:

Man, gliding is lame now. No more guesstimating against network latency. Pffrt. Hope the casuals are happy.

this is a good post

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
I haven't played in almost 2 years. Joined up and have just been playing songs on a harp in the PVP lobby. Still haven't been able to bring myself to figure out the new UI and how to spec my engineer. So much has changed, I don't even know where to start. Got lost in Lions Arch. So for now I just play songs. Also, I worked on this game for almost 2 years.

An old ANet friend of mine appeared in the PVP lobby, so I played a song for them. Took them a minute to realize who I was. "Wait are you-..." Yes, I'm a bard now.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey man I made a profit off that mess

tell everyone how you made this money

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

ItBurns posted:

tell everyone how you made this money

There is always a dumber nerd.

Always

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Mercury_Storm posted:

Enough complained about the Clockwork Mining Pick being "pay-to-win" that they promised to never do something like that again.

Fendahleen
May 21, 2003

WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN HEAR US, EARTH MEN

mike12345 posted:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

That's not a word that's a sentence.

loving casual

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

There is always a dumber nerd.

Always

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:smith:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

This is going to make my B.C. sailing charter trip this summer very affordable.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Visidan posted:

Fart gas is still stuck on my necro rip.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I don't think we'll see a fix for this any time soon since just a tiny percentage of the playerbase is affected by it

Matthew Pennebaker posted:

hey all. I’ve been digging in to this issue this morning. I have a fix for the effect part submitted. Unfortunately I don’t think I can get the fix out to the live game before the next release (scheduled for 1/26). When the fix goes out the icy effect should just go away and you’ll be back to your normal (hah!) bee-covered self.

Hooray for being wrong! :buddy:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hooray for bee-ing wrong! :buddy:

Corrected for accuracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kenshin posted:

This is going to make my B.C. sailing charter trip this summer very affordable.

Please spend your big fancy american dollars here so I can resume buying clothes and books and milk from the usa

• Locked thread